3 Hits from the Bruins vs Flyers - 1/22/2012

Guest Digityman

3 Questionable Flyers hits vs the bruins.  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Was Sestito's hit on Kampfer suspension worthy?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Was Sestito's hit on Horton suspension worthy?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Was Hartnell's hit on Kelly suspension worthy?

• Yes
    • No

Bruins fans are claiming that the Flyers were hitting high and that all 3 of the hits in this video are suspension worthy.

Please vote on each one of the hits.

Horton left the game with a head injury as a result of the Sestito hit and did not return. Hartnell was called for charging for his hit on Kelly.

Sestito/Kampfer Slow Motion starts at 3:10

Sestito/Horton Slow Motion starts at 3:32

Hartnell/Kelly Slow Motion starts at 4:22

1. Kampfer looks like he throws a crosscheck. I don't see any big deal.

2. Sestito was late, but it looked like shoulder on shoulder.

3. Hat-nell*(trademark) went shoulder to shoulder.

I could see Boston homers calling all 3 suspension worthy.

I'd love to see the NHL put together a highlight reel of hits and what is deemed late and what isn't. I know what I think is late and what isn't but I honestly can't tell by the way the refs call them. I've seen guys pass a puck, then get hit a good few moments after the puck is gone, at least long enough for the incoming player to pull up or change direction. yet those are deemed "finishing my check" hits. But then you see hits where someone gets hurt and all of a sudden that little soft zone gets tighten up and plays where the puck was passed away only a second before contact was made, clearly not enough time for the incoming player to pull up or change direction and all of a sudden it's a late hit.

on point:

1. suspension worthy? nope, his arms were tucked all the way in. He did follow through but when the hit was made, those arms were down. Was it late? maybe, but the ref didn't think so. Besides, Sestito got a cross check to the face on that play, shouldn't the question be the otheer way around?

2. maybe. since it's Sestito, probably. It looked like he hit him in the chest but his shoulder could have very easily clipped the guy in the face. At 3:50 it really does look like a clean hit. By 4:15 I'm ready to say no.

3. no. blind side yes, up high, no. The angle at 2:46 shows the point of contact was clearly mid to upper body be definitely not the head.

ps, at about 2:06, it sounds like the guy is either saying either Sestio or Sesteal (could be a fun nickname)

1. Kampfer looks like he throws a crosscheck. I don't see any big deal.

2. Sestito was late, but it looked like shoulder on shoulder.

3. Hat-nell*(trademark) went shoulder to shoulder.

I could see Boston homers calling all 3 suspension worthy.

1. The only thing there is that Sestito did leave his feet slightly, but I don't think suspension worthy.

2. Agree it was late, but Sestito glided into the hit (there was no skating steps- and at least a 6 foot glide).

3. Totally agree.

How do you see who voted yes for #1 & 2?

1. Sestito is 6'5", Kampfer is 5'11". Every time Sestito hits someone it looks high BECAUSE HE'S 6' FREAKIN 5"!!! Supposedly, Kampfer knocked out one of Sestito's teeth with his cross check to the mouth. Kampfer needed a 5 and a game for that.

2. Agree with previous comments that the hit was late. Horton is a little taller but I never saw his head move on the hit.

3. Hartnell's hit? Give me a freakin break. That was a beautiful thing. On the same play, did you see Thornton cross check Schenn from behind?

None of those plays were worth Shanny's time to even look at them.

I'd love to see the NHL put together a highlight reel of hits and what is deemed late and what isn't.

I could have sworn that the league puts a video together and goes to each team before the season t review it with them.

The hard part with this is that if you have already committed to checking a player- especially at top speed, it is very hard to change. I used to go by a 2 second rule. I mean think about it realistically the timing for your brain to change a decision and then enact your body to follow.

The hard part with this is that if you have already committed to checking a player- especially at top speed, it is very hard to change. I used to go by a 2 second rule. I mean think about it realistically the timing for your brain to change a decision and then enact your body to follow.

2 seconds might be a good number for youth hockey but it's a lifetime for these guys. 1 second is enough time, IMHO.

2 seconds might be a good number for youth hockey but it's a lifetime for these guys. 1 second is enough time, IMHO.

I was thinking that too- especially at their speed. I guess I just never clocked it. I played d-1 college hockey and guess just kind of instinctively knew the timing (most of the time- sometimes I just wanted to hit the guy regardless).

I was thinking that too- especially at their speed. I guess I just never clocked it. I played d-1 college hockey and guess just kind of instinctively knew the timing (most of the time- sometimes I just wanted to hit the guy regardless).

Actually, I should change that. 1 second was a too long last year when Horton got knocked out in the finals. If I remember correctly, that hit took place 7/10ths of a second after Horton released the puck. From release to the hit was almost the distance between the red & blue lines in that same 7/10ths of a second.

I practiced with a semi-pro team in Colorado Springs one summer as they were gearing up for training camp. I was amazed at the speed. I could barely keep up with the skating, but the play making was just so fast that the best I could do most times was make sure I hung to my check.

Many times, the puck would come out of the d-zone and be in the o-zone in seconds (as in maybe 3). It was that fast. When you watch it above, you don't realize how fast it is. And these were semi-pros, not NHL in their prime guys.

Was Sestito's hit on Kampfer suspension worthy?

no i thought Sestito kept his arms down and was only a smidgen late, the hit was in the flow of the game

Was Sestito's hit on Horton suspension worthy?

I said yes, i think the tenor of the game had been set and this was how it was playing out yesterday, the hit was late, sestito is a big guy so he wound up hitting him high, i can see where shannahan could suspend sestito for a game or two

Was Hartnell's hit on Kelly suspension worthy?

no no no , the puck was right at kelly's feet when hartnell hit him it was a good hockey play, looked like thorton rag dolled him pretty good afterwards... i didn't see any of the skrimish just hartnell on the ice and thorton still standing, i was not expecting that.

I practiced with a semi-pro team in Colorado Springs one summer as they were gearing up for training camp. I was amazed at the speed. I could barely keep up with the skating, but the play making was just so fast that the best I could do most times was make sure I hung to my check.

Many times, the puck would come out of the d-zone and be in the o-zone in seconds (as in maybe 3). It was that fast. When you watch it above, you don't realize how fast it is. And these were semi-pros, not NHL in their prime guys.

I had the opportunity to work some NHL training camp scrimmages as a linesman a few years ago. I was on my blue line at the boards and saw a play developing at the other blue line along the boards on the opposite side of the ice. The play started coming at me. I knew if I stayed where I was I was gonna get smoked. I took 2 strides to my right towards the red line On my second stride, I had to swivel my hips and transition from skating forward to backwards to avoid being crunched. The players hit my left arm then slid along the boards right where I was positioned a moment ago. All that happened in about 2 seconds.

@AlaskaFlyerFan

Amazing isnt it? That must have been some experience for you. I know mine was. Playing D-1 was great, but that was as far as my hockey career was going so being invited to participate in that semi-pro teams practices was great and really left no doubt in my mind that hockey beyond college would never have worked for me- despite my skating ability.

I also have been invited several times to play with some older ex pros weekly beer game. Same thing- being years removed from being pros they are still exceedingly fast. It is as much the skating as the play making. The plays happen so quick you barely have time to think.

Edited by Vanflyer