Game 41: Flyers vs. Sabres 04/11/2021 2:00 pm

OH MY..... (I should of stopped watching)

Well, See ya folks in September!

It's almost Summertime in Maine baby! Best 2 1/2 months of the year coming up! ;)

(what a horrifying season....I truly hope for some SERIOUS change with this team/franchise).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

The captain said they were definitely a playoff team...

you won't let this go either. 

What the hell is he supposed to say? When Matt gets done with his 401 (k) presentation he hit the rink really hard and I think Dale learned some things from his dad's Texaco station this summer.... so we're really hoping to not lose too many games by too wide of a margin?

Only an idiot or an asshole publicly runs his teammates and/or players down. 

This is my boilerplate about Fletcher not "doing something" also.

Yeah, let me devalue my assets. 

17 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

You know I'm over here saying he never takes shifts off.

And you know I'm not saying that you are...

And that's where we are at this point - just sick to death of having to have these conversations.

But they're both slated to be here next season and until that changes... This is the conversation.

In other news, I just looked and the "smartest guys in the room" are paying Bryzgalov $1.6M a year for the next six years. No, it doesn't "cost" them anything on the cap, but it does go to show how the "braintrust" has screwed up this franchise over the past decade.

But, hey, don't worry - we ****ed up. We trusted them.

Maybe they can help.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, radoran said:

I get your point about the cavalcade of players.

On the broadcast yesterday - prior to the meltdown - JJ was effusive about how the coaching staff thought Giroux was "leading by example" over the last month.

The worst month of hockey in contemporary memory. Just before the worst meltdown and humiliating loss.

That was the endorsement.

It's not that he's a "bad" leader, it's that he's shown to not have been a particularly good one.

Not his fault - he's been terribly miscast by the organization* and it has not served him well. Had Pronger stuck around a few more years and let G be the playmaking wing he was drafted as and given the opportunity to see how to lead a team things may have been different.

Then the "smartest guys in the room" decided he was a first line center who should wear the C.

I mainly say that his "leading by example" is because he doesn't know any other way to do it - having never been in the position before. OTJ training in the NHL tends to be unforgiving. And it has been.

And then for "leadership support" we have a guy wearing an "A" effectively saying that he doesn't have to play every shift hard...

eugene levy johnny rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

The captain said they were definitely a playoff team...

especially for the young players, giroux, jake, jvr they are ones that supposed to be leadership players that young players are looking it to take over the game, so it makes the young players better and not have to be pressured to be those players. if vets took over the game consistently for 82 games, it wouldnt be a problem. it's a problem because they are not showing up and it's putting the pressure on the youth and they are struggling because of it.

that's why we need new talent to take over this team, so the young players dont have to be put the position to be stars especially if they dont have the talent to do it.

Edited by tucson83
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

if vets took over the game consistently for 82 games

I'm trying to remember the last game this team's vets "took over". Earlier in this thread, I was pleased with the first period and figured they were going to lock down the Sabres and impose their will.

Instead they took the second period off and then gave up two goals in 25 seconds late in the third.

One to another guy who scored his first NHL goal.

Watching Giroux and Hart after the game, Giroux was visibly deflated. Hart wasn't "bubbly" but was pulling the "it's one game and we have to get back on the horse for the next one."

Hart was doing the "if we work hard we can still get there" while the captain was fresh out of answers.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Won't disagree with any of that, I still don't interpret what Voracek said the way every person in the universe has though. 

Im pretty sure if Voracek said he takes naps on the bench between shifts, you'd say he's conserving his energy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Watching Giroux

Well the Blue Jackets got a first round pick for their Captain (what you can trade your captain) so I wonder what the Flyers will fetch for theirs when they decide to move him?

Guess We'll see.

I'm sure Chuckles has a plan...

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Im pretty sure if Voracek said he takes naps on the bench between shifts, you'd say he's conserving his energy

that's hilarious!

no, snark- i genuinely laughed at that. 

I don't look for fault in everything the guy does though, so if that makes me a fanboy...yay?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

(what a horrifying season....I truly hope for some SERIOUS change with this team/franchise)

right there with you.

It can't be that every player that looked decent last season forgot how to play hockey and has no future, can it?

This next bit isn't addressed solely to you.

I don't think the things that need done to this team can be done effectively at the trade deadline. 

It's major changes, new faces everywhere but in goal. I don't think there's a whole lot of leverage for making improvements when the whole team sucks.

Selling low on all the assets, sets the team up to improve how? 

Doing something just to do something isn't wise-minded, it's emotional. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

right there with you.

It can't be that every player that looked decent last season forgot how to play hockey and has no future, can it?

This next bit isn't addressed solely to you.

I don't think the things that need done to this team can be done effectively at the trade deadline. 

It's major changes, new faces everywhere but in goal. I don't think there's a whole lot of leverage for making improvements when the whole team sucks.

Selling low on all the assets, sets the team up to improve how? 

Doing something just to do something isn't wise-minded, it's emotional. 

yes, the deadline isnt for major changes not unless giroux, jvr, jake have one year deal left because of cap space. in in the offseason will most likely be major changes because alot of teams in the offseason will move alot cap around and they will want to take on the contracts especially around draft night.

Edited by tucson83

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Imagine being upset with G & V at this point?

Jake is what he is.  An over-achieving Pat Falloon.

EVERY TIME I see his name I read it as Fat Balloon...am I dyslexic?  lol

Edited by Cheesesteak
bold
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

you won't let this go either. 

What the hell is he supposed to say? When Matt gets done with his 401 (k) presentation he hit the rink really hard and I think Dale learned some things from his dad's Texaco station this summer.... so we're really hoping to not lose too many games by too wide of a margin?

Only an idiot or an asshole publicly runs his teammates and/or players down. 

This is my boilerplate about Fletcher not "doing something" also.

Yeah, let me devalue my assets. 

Mojo I love your sunny disposition, I really do. I am curious though, are you Chuck Fletcher? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, radoran said:

I'm sick to death of this organization* pissing on the fans' heads and telling them it's raining. And the entire "definitely a playoff team" messaging from the top down over the past five years has been not just wrong, but insulting.

Damn...and I thought I was ticked off by them. That being said, you are 100% right, that it's insulting. The team is run by delusional jackasses.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Damn...and I thought I was ticked off by them. That being said, you are 100% right, that it's insulting. The team is run by delusional jackasses.

They have two abject failures (at managing a team) still in the Executive Suite.

And we want to think there's some sort of "accountability" anywhere in this organization*?

As long as there are butts in the seats, Comcast doesn't give a rat's behind about "winning" anything more than the ancillary revenue from fans' pockets.

Their messaging is that IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE A FLYERS FAN!

david rose catherine ohara GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

They have two abject failures (at managing a team) still in the Executive Suite.

And we want to think there's some sort of "accountability" anywhere in this organization*?

As long as there are butts in the seats, Comcast doesn't give a rat's behind about "winning" anything more than the ancillary revenue from fans' pockets.

Their messaging is that IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE A FLYERS FAN!

david rose catherine ohara GIF by Schitt's Creek

Well look on the brightside Chuck will have saved them about 4 mill on the cap this year so yeah there's that but about it not sure what he is going to do with it?

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well look on the brightside Chuck will have saved them about 4 mill on the cap this year so yeah there's that but about it not sure what he is going to do with it?

expanding my GIF repertoire...

Daniel Bruhl Dancing GIF

• Like 1