Flyer Trades

CoachX

Agreed with others that our current roster may not offer cost-effective trades, and I suspect CF doesn't want to give up on our youngsters.  So, we have cleared roster space for auditions for remaining games.  It isn't exciting, but it could be worse.  Laughton may be a little long for my liking, but I won't argue the bucks.  

Fletcher has time to make assessments for the off season.  We see what gives.  Giving Cam York or other a few games is better than paying Gus to warm the bench.  I hope Raffl wins a Cup.  He was a good presence but probably declining and replaceable. 

CF has a lot do do between now and October.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

So, we have cleared roster space for auditions for remaining games. 

Good for me. Maybe we can see some guys get dressed who want the puck more than the other team.

Evaluation time.

What better time than now the current team couldn't even beat one of the worst teams in the NHL.

The time is now.

I never have to see Gus in orange and black again...now do that trick to Jake.

• Like 2

not sure this is going to light a fire under the team and pretty surprised this is all the "selling" chuck could muster. He has a lot to do, a short time to do it, and I don't really have the faith he has the brains and character to get it done.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Raffl is a solid 4th liner who can fill in up and down the roster and Fletcher got talked into retaining salary? Ugh. 

$400k of Comcast money shouldn't worry anybody.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PuckMeister said:

Rad,

If this trade is for a 5th and we retain 25% of his salary, we got the short end of the stick.  Why should we be so helpful?  Doubt they return the favor in the future.  This front office is getting as bad as the Eagles. I swear this city is jinxed with all of the front offices so dysfunctional.

$400K of Comcast money is really meaningless.

The telling thing for me is that it is in the division to the top seed.

This is a selloff pretty much acknowledging that they're cooked.

1 hour ago, Cheesesteak said:

Isn't that Eugene?

...still haven't gotten around to watching that show though it's been cleaning up at the award shows.

It is really a special show in so many ways.

Knowing nothing about it I didn't expect to like it.

It may very well be my favorite TV show ever.

And, yes, Eugene embodies Johnny Rose.

Catherine O'Hara is another Canadian national treasure.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

This team isn't going to make major changes next year.  These moves seem like they think if they just cut some dead weight and a few young guys replace them next year, we can take another shot.  They don't realize there is dead weight all over the roster.

Well the really good thing about today, the Flyers have told me, a fan, I dont have to waste anymore time watching them this season. So I may watch if i have nothing to do, assuming big Sam stays on the ice. Should the youngins get called up, that might also interest me. I will now consider all remaining games on par with preseason events

This forum is more interesting than the team, and Im certain i can trust you all to keep me informed....well, most of you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I tend to like Euro. Raffl was a nice story.

Overall? Meh.

IMHO his versatility rates him better than a "meh" overall but - fair enough. Podein is right his age has overtaken him. I just find it absurd that Fletcher had to sweeten the deal for a guy whose cap hit is a whopping $1.6mil. Whatever, clears some roster space for the younger guys.

50 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

This team isn't going to make major changes next year.  These moves seem like they think if they just cut some dead weight and a few young guys replace them next year, we can take another shot.  They don't realize there is dead weight all over the roster.

You are probably right.

And I fully expect them to extend Giroux.

I hope to God they bring in Torts.

I just might pay to watch that.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

IMHO his versatility rates him better than a "meh" overall but - fair enough. Podein is right his age has overtaken him. I just find it absurd that Fletcher had to sweeten the deal for a guy whose cap hit is a whopping $1.6mil. Whatever, clears some roster space for the younger guys.

I like Raffl. I do. He's just a complimentary piece.

Nothing really stands out. If he was on another team he wouldn't get a second thought from Flyer fans.

• Like 2

What im really bugged about,  whats the end game? What in the hell is this franchise actually doing? They gambled they were a playoff team. They aren't. They professed to have depth. They don't.  They claimed to have talent waiting in the wings. Wrong. They weren't buyers. How could they be? They aren't sellers. They give long contracts that never end up being worth it. And when asked, they tap dance around the subject and give neutral responses that mean absolutely nothing

We fans have nothing to look forward to, yet we remain loyal and passionate.  We are being ripped off

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CoachX said:

What im really bugged about,  whats the end game? What in the hell is this franchise actually doing? They gambled they were a playoff team. They aren't. They professed to have depth. They don't.  They claimed to have talent waiting in the wings. Wrong. They weren't buyers. How could they be? They aren't sellers. They give long contracts that never end up being worth it. And when asked, they tap dance around the subject and give neutral responses that mean absolutely nothing

We fans have nothing to look forward to, yet we remain loyal and passionate.  We are being ripped off

There's always the Eagl...oh, nevermind.

Sigh

came across this gem and had to share ....

Ron Hextall was given less than five years to reverse a decade-long trend, and he repeated a mistake with Jake Voracek that his predecessor, Paul Holmgren, made with Claude Giroux, allocating too many years and too much of the team’s salary cap to a player who couldn’t quite meet the measure of so great a commitment.
The notion that they are just a player away — a No. 1 defenseman here, a scoring forward there — from rejoining the NHL’s elite has been shattered. They have lost eight times this season by three goals or more and six times by five goals or more, including twice to the league’s bottom-feeders, the Buffalo Sabres. That’s not a team that should be tweaked. That’s not a team that necessarily needs a coach, especially when it already has one who is more accomplished in his career, who has more credibility, than any player on the roster. That’s a team that requires someone handy with nitroglycerin.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

56 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

came across this gem and had to share ....

Ron Hextall was given less than five years to reverse a decade-long trend, and he repeated a mistake with Jake Voracek that his predecessor, Paul Holmgren, made with Claude Giroux, allocating too many years and too much of the team’s salary cap to a player who couldn’t quite meet the measure of so great a commitment.
The notion that they are just a player away — a No. 1 defenseman here, a scoring forward there — from rejoining the NHL’s elite has been shattered. They have lost eight times this season by three goals or more and six times by five goals or more, including twice to the league’s bottom-feeders, the Buffalo Sabres. That’s not a team that should be tweaked. That’s not a team that necessarily needs a coach, especially when it already has one who is more accomplished in his career, who has more credibility, than any player on the roster. That’s a team that requires someone handy with nitroglycerin.

I wonder if we will see anymore trades before the end of the season before the draft.

All I know is Chuckles better rest up and get prepared for the task he will embark on.

It is a tall task to disassemble this roster and build it back up again but that is what he gets paid to do.

He has plenty of assets as far as picks and prospect to be to handle the task.

But will he?

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wonder if we will see anymore trades before the end of the season before the draft.

All I know is Chuckles better rest up and get prepared for the task he will embark on.

It is a tall task to disassemble this roster and build it back up again but that is what he gets paid to do.

He has plenty of assets as far as picks and prospect to be to handle the task.

But will he?

He doesn't have the cajonies. He proved it yesterday. Thats why they hired him. 

6 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

He doesn't have the cajonies. He proved it yesterday. Thats why they hired him. 

you realize there's an expansion draft coming, if any teams want our big contracts, they have to give up a big asset on their team unprotected in the expansion draft, it's no different for us if we wanted ekholm, we would have to leave myers unprotected in the expansion draft, that's why no big contracts were moved at the deadline.

just give the guy a chance, i get it you wanted changes now but what difference is that going to make now and in the offseason? teams dont tear down their teams at the deadline, it's usually done in offseason because of the expansion draft and the fact alot of teams are going to move cap out for picks since alot of teams love to get picks back for the draft especially during draft night.

just be patient, fletch is not dumb, look at the wild, look how great that team is now, so dont start doubting him. he has a plan, he will commit to it.

9 hours ago, CoachX said:

I don't know the end game obviously.

However, they were in fact a playoff team that won a round less than a year ago. It was not unreasonable to think young players will improve their games as they grow. -This did not happen.

They did have depth, then the 1C went out for a month with a shoulder injury, a prized player (Frost) who could have softened  that blow then loses his whole season due to a similar injury on a nothing play

- Again a different young player expected to take a step forward (Patrick) hasn't.

- Then the AHL was going  to play...or not...oh they're playing....guys who would have been playing and developing got a late start and almost lost a season.

I can see where relying on guys that missed significant portions of a season due to serious neurological issues and rare cancers is not prudent. 

-They couldn't talk their #1b defensman to unretire...

-Then everyone got COVID,

-The franchise goalie struggled with his game, he was terrible on Sunday, so that's still a thing.

Every gamble that the Front office took didn't work. Truly, they batted 1.00 except everything went wrong.

If it wasn't so disappointing, it would be funny. Nothing worked, it's like Fletcher changed his name to Gallagher ( Shameless). 

After a bad game sometimes you "burn the tape".. what does a team do for a nearly perfect terrible season?

I think it would be easy to overreact to this year. Fire all the things trade all the bums. 

I don't think that's the answer, I don't know what is the answer though, it's not an easy fix.

Like you I'm not watching a whole lot anymore.

We'll see what's shaking in the off season. 

If there isn't a move made for a legitimate top pairing defenseman, I might be out on this team for a while. 

12 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

:huh:

Well he did snag a stud in Kaprizov in the 5th.

Would love if the Flyers had a forward like that.

The jury is still out on him in Philly.

He sure better have a better plan than a resigning Braun and adding Gustafsson type planned or he will be canned by next offseason...

26 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

However, they were in fact a playoff team that won a round less than a year ago. It was not unreasonable to think young players will improve their games as they grow

This is like arguing with your wife when she says, "remember back when, you said this?" You cant debate the now based on the then, especially when the obvious result is so vastly different.

30 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

It was not unreasonable to think young players will improve their games as they grow. -This did not happen.

Neither did the veteran players

I intend zero snark or beligerance in my response to you, but you doing a good job of arguing to contradict my POV, when nothing can change how I feel. 

Many posters, maybe yourself included, have stated how unwatchable and boring this team is. I wont be taking my Flyer gear down out of the man cave. I wont lose hope that an exciting player or two comes along. But until this franchise puts a product on the ice worth my time, I wont watch

• Like 2

So many games this year were played like the players didn't know each other and had no chemistry. A few times they looked in sync for an isolated period.

Many player, mostly all players stopped moving their feet, stood and watched play, especially in their own zone. What's in their diet? Are they all getting brain fog?

Something was definitely not right in how they played as a team, even the coaching staff seemed out of it. Did the Sherona virus really do a number on them?

One thing Chuck is doing is stocking up on assets like he said for the Summer, he knows he needs ammunition to make changes. He seems to over/slightly pay above market value, a little too generous. He does though have a limit, it's just not that tight as other GM's but at least he won't ravage the shelves and loose assets.

Some are complaining about Nolan Patrick. I think his season was a win. NO HEADACHES, MIGRAINE disorder issues, where he had to sit out for months. He might of had maybe some hidden issues and tried to hockey man his way through them, but he pretty much played every game.

Oscar came back from trauma, and played again pretty much the whole season.

Farabee has established himself as an up and comer.

N.AK please change your number to 47.

Morin FINALLY GOT TO PLAY AS A DEFENSEMEN, annnnnd! with Ghost, The trilogy finally accomplished....(Episode I: AHL- Morin/Ghost future defense pair. Episode II: Ghost graduates to NHL to stay. Episode III: Morin and Ghost reunite to play again and now for the Flyers).

We got rid of player we were not gonna have anymore for assets.

This was a frozen cap year as is next, a lot of teams got handcuffed by this.

Expansion draft IS HAPPENING, what the hell do you think GM's are up against? Hey Dummy....(Sanford and Sons)

This year stunk, but it also had some positives to move forward with.

Even the announcers on NBC Sports Philly said Changes are a coming after this year.(Keith Jones seemed pissed....ha ha ha)

Bring back Rinaldo......

• Like 1