Random thoughts on a bunch of moves

Mantha, Hall, Carter, the flyer boys, foligno all deserved their own thread, here is a bit of this and that from other moves made at the deadline

FLEURY TRADED FROM THE CANES TO THE DUCKS FOR HAKANPAA

I was surprised the Canes gave up on Fleurywho was once touted but he hasnt really developed and is held back by more talented offensive d-men he should get a chance to develop in Anaheim. Hakanpaa is a perfect fit for the Canes, the kid LOVES TO HIT, zero offense but plays a nasty game.

BENNETT TO THE PANTHERS FOR A SECOND AND A PROSPECT Talk about not developing Bennett has shown flashes of being a power forward but has slipped back and hated Calgary. The former 4th pick isnt a bust but he needs a new home. Calgary got the best they could. Florida got a playoff type of add.

JORDIE BENN FROM VANCOUVER TO THE JETS wow I hate this for the Jets, they are playing out of their mind hockey and the best they could add to an anemic defense was a retread. IMHO they are among the biggest losers in the deadline because both Toronto and Montreal went big and the Jets stayed home. To a bit of a lesser extent I can say the same about Edmonton only adding Kulikov. 

SODERBERG TO COLORADO FROM CHICAGO A well built team in need of a 3C and little else brought former Av Soderberg home, as well as former Av Nemeth for the bottom pair on defense. Both were wildly popular on the Avalanche the first time around in the clubhouse, fantastic adds for the Avalanche.

JANMARK FROM THE HAWKS TO THE KNIGHTS A fantastic under the radar add, the Knights have needed a 3rd line winger who can score and the price was not much, Janmark is capable of scoring, plays solid defense and is an undervalued player. Perfect Knight add.

HAWKS THROW IN THE TOWEL They essentially gave away Soderberg, Bowey, Janmark, Walmark, giving up on a promising start to a season. The Hawks looked like the number one feel good story early in the year before the clock struck twelve and they faded.

VATANEN CLAIMED BY THE STARS, METE CLAIMED BY OTTAWA  Both are flawed but capable defenseman Vatanen was Dallas only add asthey seem to be going through the motions of trying to catch Nashville. Mete was passed on the depth chart by some other kids in Montreal but has some upside, Ottawa a good landing spot as he hopes to find his game.

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

To a bit of a lesser extent I can say the same about Edmonton only adding Kulikov.

I'm as happy as a pig in you-know-what that the Oilers didn't make a big move. Would have been a mistake.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I'm as happy as a pig in you-know-what that the Oilers didn't make a big move. Would have been a mistake.

Which is why I said to a LESSER extent. RNH has been mentioned going everywhere, which doesnt make a bit of sense to me. I thought that they could have tweaked, adding a 3G, a Glendening to the fourth line but those are quibbles.

• Like 1

I love the move by the Canes to get Hakanpää. They needed some toughness and from the way he played for the Ducks I can guarantee he makes life in front of the Canes goal a living nightmare. I saw a lot of him when the Wild played against Ducks. If the Flyers' Fletcher had paid any attention he should have picked Hakanpää up. Hakanpää would have fixed one pair of Flyers d-men, no problem. He's no kid either. 29 years. 2 meters, whatever that is in feet. Nobody ever pays any attention to the really important backbones to any team: the stay at home defensemen.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

6 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I love the move by the Canes to get Hakanpää. They needed some toughness and from the way he played for the Ducks I can guarantee he makes life in front of the Canes goal a living nightmare. I saw a lot of him when the Wild played against Ducks. If the Flyers' Fletcher had paid any attention he should have picked Hakanpää up. Hakanpää would have fixed one pair of Flyers d-men, no problem. He's no kid either. 29 years. 2 meters, whatever that is in feet. Nobody ever pays any attention to the really important backbones to any team: the stay at home defensemen.

That Hakanpaa really is a piece of work.
Canes definitely just got tougher on the blue line and forwards who think they are just gonna waltz on in the offensive better have their heads on swivels.....or else...

• Like 1