Jump to content

Winners and losers from the deadline


Recommended Posts

A few thoughts on who I feel won and lost the deadline 

 

WINNER Boston. Hall and Lazar for a second and a former prospect turned suspect named Bjork. Then adding defenseman Reilly from Ottawa to a in need defensive corp. It still comes down to Rask getting back to being Rask by the playoffs but they took a huge step forward.

 

LOSER Winnipeg. All around them the other North contenders were having an arms race while the best they could do is bring back Jordie Benn from the Canucks to a boring unspectacular defense which will be the reason they will be eliminated in six games in the first round.

 

WINNER Detroit Swapping Merrill and Nemeth for picks was expected, jumping in and getting a free 4th rounder in the Columbus dump of Savard was well thought out, and then the absolute heist adding Vrana, a first and a second for Mantha was brilliant. The Wings continue to add picks and futures.

 

LOSER Capitals. Not just because of the overreach for Mantha but mostly because they did nothing to improve their defense which leaks like a sieve in the third period. Not only that they gave up on dman Siegenthaler to New Jersey. A thin aging d-corp will cost them early. again.

 

WINNER AND LOSER the leafs. YES they added Foligno a heart and soul guy, in Rittich they added goalie depth, in Hutton they added their 8th defenseman. Riley Nash could contribute if he gets healthy by playoff time.

 

BUT Wow what a cost. Foligno for a first and a fourth?? In the same deadline where Taylor Hall can barely get you a second? Rittich for a third?? Really?? Nash doesnt cost much but may not play again this year. Hutton has been found wanting everywhere and came over for a 5th. The problem as I see it is the Leafs severely overpaid in terms of futures. they won because they added the needed depth, they lost with what they gave up in picks, they won because they managed to keep all their prospects, not having to trade a Nick Robertson or a Lilijgren. 

 

LOSER Hawks. Threw in the white towel on what was once a surprisingly solid start. They moved out Soderberg, Wallmark, Janmark and Bowey essentially telling the Predators that the fourth seed was theirs.

 

WINNER Tampa. Savard in their middle pair on defense makes them near impossible to play against from the back end for the 50 minutes a night they top four are out there

 

WINNER Columbus. Moved on from Captain Foligno, savard both brought first rounders to a team that has been short draft picks for several years after spending them to go for it all a few years ago.

 

WINNER Avalanche Backup goalie? Check. 3rd line center? Check. Bottom pair rugged stay at home defender? Check. All on the cheap, the Cup favorite filled every box they needed to fill.

 

LOSER Sabres. Low return for Hall, managed to move out Montour but only for a 3rd,Staal was shipped for a 3rd and a 5th,but they could not find a taker for solid goalie Ullmark who wants to leave badly at the end of the year, Ristolainen another player thought to be moved was kept. Essentially Buffalo kicked the can on trades and another version of a rebuild until the offseason. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

BUT Wow what a cost. Foligno for a first and a fourth?? In the same deadline where Taylor Hall can barely get you a second? Rittich for a third?? Really?? Nash doesnt cost much but may not play again this year. Hutton has been found wanting everywhere and came over for a 5th. The problem as I see it is the Leafs severely overpaid in terms of futures. they won because they added the needed depth, they lost with what they gave up in picks, they won because they managed to keep all their prospects, not having to trade a Nick Robertson or a Lilijgren. 

 

It always seems like Toronto has to overpay to get players here. 

 

Maybe they thought it was a crappy draft coming up?  Maybe it's all or nothing right now for the Leafs?  I don't know.

 

Maybe Taylor Hall is so sh_t right now that Foligno was considered the more valuable commodity? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

and then the absolute heist adding Vrana


Perhaps.  The WaPo article on the trade reminds us that Jakub scored a total of zero goals and zero assists in the last two Caps playoff years, after he scored 3 goals and 5 assists in the four series of their 2018 Cup run.

 

I enjoyed watching Vrana, I suppose, but there is one substantial plus for Caps fans in having him traded.  No longer will Washington fans have to suffer listening to TV commentator Craig Laughlin incessantly referring to him as “Jake the Snake”.  Thank God that’s now of the past.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

 

It always seems like Toronto has to overpay to get players here. 

 

Maybe they thought it was a crappy draft coming up?  Maybe it's all or nothing right now for the Leafs?  I don't know.

 

Maybe Taylor Hall is so sh_t right now that Foligno was considered the more valuable commodity? 

 

 

I think the Leafs needed Folignos grit more than they needed Halls skill.

  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2021 at 6:18 AM, extra skater said:

The Athletic talking about this salary cap move for the Capitals, but it's paywall blocked 😕


True, but I recently subscribed for one buck a month, for 6 months.  Pretty good deal.  More details than I need, but it’s worth it at this price.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SaucyJack said:


True, but I recently subscribed for one buck a month, for 6 months.  Pretty good deal.  More details than I need, but it’s worth it at this price.

Thanks for this piece of advice, gonna consider it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...