Extend Giroux Now

On 5/1/2021 at 7:35 PM, radoran said:

An inspiring leader who has led the team to an unprecedented level of success, there is no question Giroux should be rewarded with an extension.

We will always look at his decade of leadership as a highlight of the franchise's illustrious history.

Extend Giroux now. Let him retire a Flyer. Reward him for his achievement.

It's the right thing to do.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Extend his off season 

11 hours ago, radoran said:

They came away from four games against a bad team behind them in the standings - a division rival - with two points, giving up seven.

Makes it very hard to stomach.

The New Jersey Jespers are a better club than the one i follow.

11 hours ago, radoran said:

They come off that and are still talking about bad bounces, bad luck, every guy playing hard (wait, what?). The continual "woe is us we are better than we actually play" line is beyond tiresome.

I agree and i would even prefer "No comment......"

:BrownBag:

21 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Dougie Hamilton

Gabriel Landeskog

I do like both of these choices....but both clubs have the money and why would they let them walk when they are one of the top team in their respective conferences??

I have to ask myself if this was the Flyers and they were playing so well and had the cap space WTF would you let key pieces just walk out the door??

1 hour ago, radoran said:

The title of this thread is not 100% in jest, I fully expect them to extend Giroux and have him "retire a Flyer" and we'll hear all about his points per game and second place in points for the organization, how they got out of the first round that one time, and put him in the Flyers Hall of Fame.

The sad and disheartening thing is I could actually see this happening.... 😔

11 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Legacies in professional team sports are based on championships.

Yes...and no. Remember the Lindros years, watching him smash through the opposition night after night? Do you remember when Hextall wasted Chelios in the POs? How about when the Flyers made the world-renowned, elite Russian hockey team cry? The Bullies scared them so bad they wouldn't take the ice till they were told, "fine, quit and go home but you don't get paid" (they left the ice after Van Impe elbowed one of their stars, knocked him out. But they were scared shitless of the Flyers, nobody had ever played them that way before). Anyway the Flyers were the only team to beat the Russians that year.

Well there's many more examples but you know what I mean.

And I know what you mean too. And I can't argue with it. You're right the all-time greats are almost always champions.

I just can't concede or convince myself that everything since May 27, 1975 has been a failure. Like Giroux's tenure as captain...lot of great memories, lot of disappointments.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yes...and no. Remember the Lindros years, watching him smash through the opposition night after night? Do you remember when Hextall wasted Chelios in the POs? How about when the Flyers made the world-renowned, elite Russian hockey team cry? The Bullies scared them so bad they wouldn't take the ice till they were told, "fine, quit and go home but you don't get paid" (they left the ice after Van Impe elbowed one of their stars, knocked him out. But they were scared shitless of the Flyers, nobody had ever played them that way before). Anyway the Flyers were the only team to beat the Russians that year.

Well there's many more examples but you know what I mean.

And I know what you mean too. And I can't argue with it. You're right the all-time greats are almost always champions.

I just can't concede or convince myself that everything since May 27, 1975 has been a failure. Like Giroux's tenure as captain...lot of great memories, lot of disappointments.

Great post and agree with a vast majority of it.  Post “the shift “ IMO, the disappointments out weigh his great memories. Especially when considering his play in the playoffs. Again that is what fans are going remember. A 80+ game season is long and many games are forgotten. Playoff games / series take on their own personality.  Simply put his play during the past 9 years, when this team actually made the playoffs, has been less than stellar.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Playoff games / series take on their own personality.  Simply put his play during the past 9 years, when this team actually made the playoffs, has been less than stellar

Again.

Those were bad teams, one line teams.

One line teams don't win in the playoffs.

I think dragging those teams to wins over 82 games required all the gears he had. 

All you all can say whatever you like though, it's the internet after all. 

The team failed to advance in the playoffs when they were lucky to make the playoffs, he's the captain the criticism is warranted to a point. 

The team under-performed this year- he was it's captain, he should shoulder blame. 

Diminishing his career reads like sour grapes and piling on, constantly picking at the scab of this season and the lost decade brings joy, how?

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Remember the Lindros years, watching him smash through the opposition night after night? Do you remember when Hextall wasted Chelios in the POs? How about when the Flyers made the world-renowned, elite Russian hockey team cry? The Bullies scared them so bad they wouldn't take the ice till they were told, "fine, quit and go home but you don't get paid"

There are grains of truth here, but...

Lindros' time with the Flyers is always coloured by not winning a championship. His legacy of The Next One isn't that because he didn't win.

Hextall smashing Chelios was great, but they lost. Hextall's legacy will always be "good player, didn't win a championship."

The Bullies against the Russians were two time Cup winners and one of the most legendary teams in the sport because they won championships.

30 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Not everything is a failure. Losing to one of the greatest teams of all time isn't a failure. Taking a team to a Cup Final isn't a "failure." Losing a hard fought seven games series in a Conference Final isn't a "failure." Being one of the most dominant, legendary lines in league history isn't a "failure."

But the organization's own metric is that they intend to win championships. Homer himself said that in the end his tenure as GM was a failure because he didn't win a championship.

Missing the playoffs five of nine years and winning one round over that stretch is certainly not "success" by any metric. No matter how many points someone scored.

Mats Sundin is the all time leading scorer in Maple Leafs' history and is a career point-per-game player with over 500 goals.

Do Leaf fans - with their 11 Cups - consider him one of the greatest captains in franchise history? Buffalo fans will never stop talking about the 1999 Cup Final. Do any Leafs fans talk about the 1999 Conference Final they lost to those Sabres? That was the deepest a Sundin team made it - and they lost 4-1.

Quite frankly, I'm trying to recall the Giroux highlight as captain that stands out as a high point that makes a "great memory". Maybe someone has one.

• Good Post 2

6 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Like Giroux's tenure as captain...lot of great memories, lot of disappointments.

Through out Giroux tenure it always felt like the front office is trying to force him to be Batman when in fact he was always Robin who needed a Batman to play along side.

Well the front office wasted his time because well they never got him a Batman so he could play the role he was intended for.

That isn't Giroux's fault. That is the front office's fault. I hope the super hero analogy makes sense i hate using it but well i went with it.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It hasn't been. Technically, they won a third Stanley Cup in 1976 by beating the Soviets (OK, they lost to the Canadiens that year in the finals, but that was kind of like winning a Cup). Not everything has been a failure. Some teams overachieved since then, like in 1987 and 2010, but in large part..you are correct... there have been more disappointments, than successes with this Flyers franchise 

Edited by FD19372

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Legion of Doom say hello....

:BrownBag:

Same amount of cups as Giroux's teams. Better players too, prime Lindros was so much fun to watch. 

Those teams, dang, I was thinking they were going to be around and winning for a long time.

I still hate Scott Stevens from that time...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

There are grains of truth here, but...

Lindros' time with the Flyers is always coloured by not winning a championship. His legacy of The Next One isn't that because he didn't win.

Hextall smashing Chelios was great, but they lost. Hextall's legacy will always be "good player, didn't win a championship."

The Bullies against the Russians were two time Cup winners and one of the most legendary teams in the sport because they won championships.

Not everything is a failure. Losing to one of the greatest teams of all time isn't a failure. Taking a team to a Cup Final isn't a "failure." Losing a hard fought seven games series in a Conference Final isn't a "failure." Being one of the most dominant, legendary lines in league history isn't a "failure."

But the organization's own metric is that they intend to win championships. Homer himself said that in the end his tenure as GM was a failure because he didn't win a championship.

Missing the playoffs five of nine years and winning one round over that stretch is certainly not "success" by any metric. No matter how many points someone scored.

Mats Sundin is the all time leading scorer in Maple Leafs' history and is a career point-per-game player with over 500 goals.

Do Leaf fans - with their 11 Cups - consider him one of the greatest captains in franchise history? Buffalo fans will never stop talking about the 1999 Cup Final. Do any Leafs fans talk about the 1999 Conference Final they lost to those Sabres? That was the deepest a Sundin team made it - and they lost 4-1.

Quite frankly, I'm trying to recall the Giroux highlight as captain that stands out as a high point that makes a "great memory". Maybe someone has one.

"The Shift" against Crosby and Pittsburgh in the playoffs. That's all I've got, and this mess of a franchise has milked that to death.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Same amount of cups as Giroux's teams. Better players too, prime Lindros was so much fun to watch. 

Those teams, dang, I was thinking they were going to be around and winning for a long time.

I still hate Scott Stevens from that time...

Hate Scott Stevens all you want. He won 3 Cups. Hate Lindros for not keeping his head up, also.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Same amount of cups as Giroux's teams.

Sure but they at least got to a Cup....as a one line team.

With not so good goalies either.

Giroux has won one a round in the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Hate Scott Stevens all you want. He won 3 Cups.

they played the most boring brand of hockey. he can have 'em.

**** that guy till the end of time.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

And their type of play today with all the clutching and grabbing would not fly today for sure.

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

If the Flyers won 3 Cups playing that way, would you care? I wouldn't. At the end of the day, it's if you win a Cup not how, that matters.

Just now, FD19372 said:

If the Flyers won 3 Cups playing that way, would you care? I wouldn't. At the end of the day, it's if you win a Cup not how, that matters.

No i wouldn't i guess.

However when they played i also wouldn't have glued to the T.V. like i was with the Flyers i would have put the game on did something around the house and come back and watch after i heard some cheering maybe that something good actually happen.

That is not how i want to watch hockey.

Just now, FD19372 said:

I don't know, I will say I would like to have had one of the good teams break through with a win so I could give you an informed answer.

the 87 group was the team that I really resonated with as a youth, I would have liked for that group to have won. 

I wouldn't have minded keeping brind'Amour around to see if that group could have won. 

It would be nice to be able to say, yeah that team that won was fine, but not my favorite. 

In this scenario; those if the Flyers played like those NJ teams, they wouldn't be my favorite, i do know that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

In this scenario; those if the Flyers played like those NJ teams, they wouldn't be my favorite, i do know that.

They would be one of mine, simply because they won. I'll draw a comparison...if a chef cooked you a meal that tasted great, would you ask how she or he made it? What if the chef put an ingredient in it, that would make you perhaps not nauseous, but maybe cringe a bit? My point is, I don't care HOW they win a Cup...or the "ingredients" they use to build a team that wins one. I just want them to win another one, before I die.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Diminishing his career reads like sour grapes and piling on, constantly picking at the scab of this season and the lost decade brings joy, how?

Not diminishing his career at all, but when it counted (playoffs) he simply did not perform. Talent wise he certainly is vary good player, but in order to be a true superstar a player one must excel when he does NOT have the greatest supporting cast surrounding him.  Lavy did him no honors when he stated he was "the best player in the world."  

In the end we will just have to agree to disagree.