Extend Giroux Now

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Not diminishing his career at all, but when it counted (playoffs) he simply did not perform. Talent wise he certainly is vary good player, but in order to be a true superstar a player one must excel when he does NOT have the greatest supporting cast surrounding him.  Lavy did him no honors when he stated he was "the best player in the world."  

In the end we will just have to agree to disagree.  

He is a good player, but for as much as I hate the Penguins, I'll draw a comparison. Giroux is a Malkin, not a Crosby. Discuss.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Again.

Those were bad teams, one line teams.

One line teams don't win in the playoffs.

Just curious ....the 2017-18 Flyers lost in the 1st Round to the Pens 4-2.  In those 6 games Giroux had 1 G and 2 A for a measly 3 points.   Yet he had a stronger cast of characters supporting him that year. 

Season stats for the 2017-18 Flyers below .....

image.png.5f7e6ecfe1a7e96243129fad1e02bedc.png

They (The Flyers) certainly where not a "one line" team during those playoffs.  So what is Giroux's excuse for only gathering 3 pts in 6 game vs. the Pens?  

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

He is a good player, but for as much as I hate the Penguins, I'll draw a comparison. Giroux is a Malkin, not a Crosby. Discuss.

Interesting take I must say ......  maybe not too far from the truth .....  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Just curious ....the 2017-18 Flyers lost in the 1st Round to the Pens 4-2.  In those 6 games Giroux had 1 G and 2 A for a measly 3 points.   Yet he had a stronger cast of characters supporting him that year. 

Season stats for the 2017-18 Flyers below .....

image.png.5f7e6ecfe1a7e96243129fad1e02bedc.png

They (The Flyers) certainly where not a "one line" team during those playoffs.  So what is Giroux's excuse for only gathering 3 pts in 6 game vs. the Pens?  

TK and Patrick were rookies, Voracek is a flake, and Coots is your only other consistent scorer at that point. Simmonds was too banged up at that point. So, guess what? They were, in fact, pretty close to a one line team.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

TK and Patrick were rookies, Voracek is a flake, and Coots is your only other consistent scorer at that point. Simmonds was too banged up at that point. So, guess what? They were, in fact, pretty close to a one line team.

fair enough .....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

"The Shift" against Crosby and Pittsburgh in the playoffs. That's all I've got, and this mess of a franchise has milked that to death.

Which was *checks notes* before he was captain...

Whatever happened to that guy?

They went on to *checks notes* lose to New Jersey 4-1 in the second round and *checks notes* missed the playoffs in Claude's first year as Captain.

Ohhhh GIF by memecandy

• Uggh... 1

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I do like both of these choices....but both clubs have the money and why would they let them walk when they are one of the top team in their respective conferences??

I have to ask myself if this was the Flyers and they were playing so well and had the cap space WTF would you let key pieces just walk out the door??

Any player can be had for the right (over) price.  Flyers have plenty of pieces to make something happen.  

I'm not saying they will happen, I'm just saying that those are the 2-3 players I would target and see what it would take.  

Can't hurt to ask.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, radoran said:

Hextall smashing Chelios was great, but they lost.

Oh my...a sincere LOL on that one. No criticism intended but damn man do you ever lighten up? (laughing but not at you) So Hextall levels Chelios for wasting Propp (on a dirty hit) earlier in the series...and "but they lost" is what you remember? Even a classic, one-for-the-books thrashing like that...Hextall out-Hextalls Hextall and it's, "great but the Flyers still suck."  LOL I swear I'm not being critical - it's comical is what it is.

I'm starting to realize you must be completely, totally and finally Fed Up with the Flyers. Is that fair to say? And it started long before this year.

You'd be great to argue with over beers at a sports bar...with Flyers' games from the '70s and '80s on the screens. I think I'd have a decent shot at cracking your half-empty glass. LOL...maybe. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Oh my...a sincere LOL on that one. No criticism intended but damn man do you ever lighten up? (laughing but not at you) So Hextall levels Chelios for wasting Propp (on a dirty hit) earlier in the series...and "but they lost" is what you remember? Even a classic, one-for-the-books thrashing like that...Hextall out-Hextalls Hextall and it's, "great but the Flyers still suck."  LOL I swear I'm not being critical - it's comical is what it is.

I'm starting to realize you must be completely, totally and finally Fed Up with the Flyers. Is that fair to say? And it started long before this year.

You'd be great to argue with over beers at a sports bar...with Flyers' games from the '70s and '80s on the screens. I think I'd have a decent shot at cracking your half-empty glass. LOL...maybe. 😀

We can tell you're new around these parts.

You'll catch on. I enjoy having you here.

Just a lot of frustration built up for a long time and well this is a way for many of us to vent and seek council here.

It is good to help many of us maintain our sanity or what is left of it.

One day I am sure we will have something to be happy about......I hope.

Take it all with a grain of salt.

:BrownBag:

• Like 3

LOL I swear I'm not being critical - it's comical is what it is.

Comical is more coming up with things like points per game and what happened 10 years ago or crediting a playoff win rouns as captain that didn't happen.

You'd be great to argue with over beers at a sports bar...

Had a great conversation with dear departed posted davies about the Pronger trade at a bar in Brooklyn. She insisted it was worth it. I said it would be judged by the results.

Bartender asked if we were OK.

I'm a results oriented guy.

When the Flyers roll to the Stanley Cup next year I'll happily eat my serving of crow.

Now, what was that great memory of Giroux as a captain again?

Edited by radoran

Adding: I've not been shy that the main "problem" is the Executive Leadership of this organization.

I fully expect them to watch three losses to the Devils and then look at a strong start against Pittsburgh as a "good sign."

Just like losing the first round to the Cup Finalist Rangers eight years ago was.

So, yeah, I've seen this before.

I'll have my crow buttermilk popcirn batter with a side of blue cheese sauce - when it happens.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Comical is more coming up with things like points per game and what happened 10 years ago or crediting a playoff win rouns as captain that didn't happen.

Boo... so my all-in-good-fun demeanor, which I took some pains to make obvious, evidently didn't register with you. Okay friend...I won't make that mistake again.

Meanwhile, I posted Giroux's stats, which are a matter of record. Whatever your problem is with the numbers you should talk to Giroux. After all he's the guy who racked up the points, ten years ago and again tonight. Enlighten me as to which ones count and which ones don't. Good luck with that btw.

As to "crediting a playoff win rouns (sic) as captain that didn't happen" I don't know what that is.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Boo... So my in-fun demeanor, which I took pains to make obvious, evidently didn't register with you.

It did indeed. That's why I told my davies story which was *about* your comment about bar convos.

FWIW you "liked" the post about Giroux having two playoff wins as captain...

In the end we're seeing something of a hockey cliche - and something Jim Jackson mentioned in the preshow: a team leading the division taking a game off after going down early on a replay goal.

The Flyers - having taken three games off against the Devils - come in looking to beat the Pens. The Pens with a clinched playoff berth coming off back to back wins against the Capitals and a split with the Bruins play down to an opponent.

The game "means something" to the Flyers. Not so much to the Pens.

Al Morganti asking why this couldn't have happened six weeks ago. Because six weeks ago teams (like the Bruins) needed to beat the Flyers.

Wade Allison saying they are playing "the way they should play all the time." And that'd the issue.

They don't.

This is one game for the Pens on the way to the postseason. This is a "statement" for the Flyers on the way to the golf course - six weeks too late.

That's hockey.

Ah okay I guess I missed the captain / wrong year mistake.

oh fk me 4th straight minor penalty and this one is real horsesht.

I agree the Flyers can't exactly celebrate a "big win" here like it means something. [edit: if they do hold on for a win that is - still lotta game left  - and now it's 4-2]

But the fact is the Flyers are playing well - until the 3 straight penalties - and the Pens are not laying back or sleep-walking. They're trying hard to win so I'll gladly give the Flyers credit for showing up strong tonight. But they better get back to winning battles and quicken up their decision-making or this game will be tied in a matter of minutes.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

22 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I have to ask myself if this was the Flyers and they were playing so well and had the cap space WTF would you let key pieces just walk out the door??

You are not allowed to ask hypothetical questions that will never happen

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just a lot of frustration built up for a long time and well this is a way for many of us to vent and seek council here.

(Demonic laughter ensues from Leafs fans inside insane asylum.)  🤪 :mapleleafs:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

(Demonic laughter ensues from Leafs fans inside insane asylum.)  🤪 :mapleleafs:

That made me spit my coffee out. Very well done.

Flyers fans will be joining them soon in their own padded cells with very nice straight jackets.

:BrownBag:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1