Game 52: Penguins at Flyers; 5/3/21 @ 7, NBCSP

<---See my headline.

I know you have to play out the games on the schedule and there's still paying customers and sponsors that want to make a buck, etc.

But for the life of me I don't know what there is to be impressed about.   The team played like crap all year, gets obliterated by the worst team in the NHL (save maybe Detroit) for three consecutive games and pulls off a fluke game with the season already long-since dead.  Let's use an AED on an embalmed corpse while we're at it and call ourselves heroic.

Hooray.  Really upset my pom poms are on back order.   

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Good win against a rival. A little shaky and then the penalties started but credit the Flyers they got back to attacking and were rewarded for their effort. We got a glimmer, a reminder of how well they can play. And Lyon had a strong game too.

Okay go ahead tear it all down. I know it's coming...LOL tough room. Cynical and unimpressed, is that a badge around here? Nothing personal to anyone just trying to figure you guys out.

[edit: see above - lol - right on time Occam! You nailed it, fulfilled my expectations perfectly!]

Look on the bright side they are only 2 years away from being 2 years away.

No worries everything is going to be OK.

No for real.

:BrownBag:

• Like 3

Well, there's nothing like scoring first and getting some timely saves from a goalie.

I saw the first and third periods, and Center Ice carried the post-game.  Ed Barkowitz of the Inquirer asked AV what everyone was thinking: Why didn't we see more games like this?  He didn't want to answer and made a remark about not wanting to spoil the win.  Well, Morganti and Hatcher were right--it was on everyone's mind. In a sense, it makes the win kind of sad.  

8 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Well, there's nothing like scoring first and getting some timely saves from a goalie.

I saw the first and third periods, and Center Ice carried the post-game.  Ed Barkowitz of the Inquirer asked AV what everyone was thinking: Why didn't we see more games like this?  He didn't want to answer and made a remark about not wanting to spoil the win.  Well, Morganti and Hatcher were right--it was on everyone's mind. In a sense, it makes the win kind of sad.  

which makes it very concerning because now you really have to figure out what players actually want to play for a cup and not play for paycheck which jvr, jake,giroux, tk are. like i said when giroux and jake got their paycheck, they folded like a chair.

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

But for the life of me I don't know what there is to be impressed about. 

Wait I thought Rad was the champion of the C&I squad...

A good win obviously doesn't erase the drek that came before it. It's still sweet to whip the Penguins. I'm glad the paying customers finally got their money's worth.

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

which makes it very concerning because now you really have to figure out what players actually want to play for a cup and not play for paycheck which jvr, jake,giroux, tk are. like i said when giroux and jake got their paycheck, they folded like a chair.

Good Morning:

The inconsistency we have lived with for the past decade is mind-numbing.  We will probably get a taste of the same medicine tonight....a collapse in the first with a buzz saw Pens squad.  Maybe I am wrong.  Well, yes, CF has a lot personnel decisions to make in coming weeks.  I think he needs to reflect on Lincoln's dictum to think anew and act anew.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Good Morning:

The inconsistency we have lived with for the past decade is mind-numbing.  We will probably get a taste of the same medicine tonight....a collapse in the first with a buzz saw Pens squad.  Maybe I am wrong.  Well, yes, CF has a lot personnel decisions to make in coming weeks.  I think he needs to reflect on Lincoln's dictum to think anew and act anew.  

i know, that's what frustrating to me as fan that av haters seem to be ok with this type of culture like play when we feel like it mentality if they are ok with this then they dont care about this team ever winning a cup because no effort in every game is going to get you anywhere no matter how many coaches you change.

and this offseason is the defining moment for this team and the culture, do they want to win a cup or do they want to cater to the leadership by firing coaches and keep the same the non-competitive players and be a 500 team and one and done playoffs team?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

The part I find difficult to reconcile is running it back with essentially the same team has garnered such Mr Hyde results. 

Last year the team played well defensively, suppressed a lot of shots and  the goalies by and large stopped the ones they should have. 

There's no question that they miss Niskafauxfinn. But I think more of it is the general Jeckyll and Hyde character of the team over the past many years. His experience of multiple rounds of playoff hockey ending in frustration before finally breaking through is sorely missed on top of his play.

They're a "good" team when they are "on" - but they're not a great team and they're not "on" nearly enough. They don't handle adversity well, but do feed off of success.

Like last night - getting the first goal was huge for them. The second goal seemed to put real air under their wings. At 3-0 it seemed the Pens just thought "not our night" and skated through the second until they got the rash of power plays in the third (not all of which were terribly deserved...).

I would not have wanted to see what happened if the Pens had cut it to 4-3...

Game was over at 5-2 and then the empty-netter was the cherry on top.

We'll see if the Hagg goal poked the sleeping bear tonight.

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I hope these remaining games don't shade any perceptions about the team.  As it is today this Flyers team isn't championship level.

The Dave Scott interview was worrisome (as are most of his interviews).

To your point, they are better than they have looked this season, but I don't know/think that level of "better" puts them on a level of the Bolts/Caps/Filthy K-nig-its much less the Broons/Isles/Pens as much as it does a 6/7/8 "anything can happen" seed.

From where I sit, they need something more serious than an Exile-Upshall-to-Arizona type move.

But it sounds like Dave is more of a "new cushions for the deck chairs" guy.

That said, they need the right move(s) more than they need "a" move. I'm not sold that that move will exist in UFA when the dust settles.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, radoran said:

That said, they need the right move(s) more than they need "a" move.

This is so crucial. Chuckles needs to be working on his plan right now as we speak.

He doesn't have to execute right now but he needs to have all his plans in place know his targets and have the conviction to do what is right for the club and not let personal relationships get in the way of business.

Do what needs to be done. And most importantly use every asset at his disposal.

First and foremost do not be afraid of being aggressive and DO NOT forget about today and saving and planning for tomorrow....today counts too. And by that i don't mean the immediate game today.

I mean go in with the plan that 2021-22 is important too but don't be like Hextall and think being competitive next season is as important as doing what it takes to bring a Cup to Philly in a few years. 

Tear it down. A complete rebuild is needed. And that means maybe for example of moving a guy like Giroux, Jake, JVR and even Coots for the right price.

The good news is there are some good pieces already in place like Hart, Ivan and Farabee.

Rebuild around these young guys. Not an easy task by any means. But get it done...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

We will probably get a taste of the same medicine tonight....a collapse in the first with a buzz saw Pens squad.  Maybe I am wrong.

But you're probably right. It's hard to imagine the Flyers playing just as hard/fast/smart again tonight. Plus like you said the "buzz saw Pens squad" may be out for blood after losing 7-2. And then there's Elliott, who I assume goes tonight. He's kind of a disaster waiting to happen...all the signs point to him being spent.

Then again the Pens don't really need the points so they may not go full tilt. Unless maybe they have a preference for NY or Boston in R1...?

55 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

And then there's Elliott, who I assume goes tonight. He's kind of a disaster waiting to happen...all the signs point to him being spent.

I like Elliott and all but they need to find another backup for Hart for next year.

Since they will be in rebuild mode i would be fully on board bring Sandstrom up or bring even Ivan Fedotov over for this sole purpose to help Hart man the crease.

They are both 24 times to shat or get off the pot. Time is a wasting.

On 5/3/2021 at 5:30 PM, Cheesesteak said:

Oh, and the Flyers are celebrating Pride Night tonight, whatever that means...that should go well 🙄

Ohhhhh, THAT Pride night🏳️‍🌈...hey, they showed up last night, PHinally!  but of course they do after being eliminated from playoff contention.

• Uggh... 2