Game 53: Penguins at Flyers; 5/4/21 @ 7, NBCSP

<iframe style="width: 100%; border: none; display: block; max-width: 420px; height: 320px;" src="https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/daf1efa6-498e-4647-a2c0-987cf922ac1b/embed?autoplay=false"> </iframe>

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

<iframe style="width: 100%; border: none; display: block; max-width: 420px; height: 320px;" src="https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/daf1efa6-498e-4647-a2c0-987cf922ac1b/embed?autoplay=false"> </iframe>

I agree completely. Well said!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yesterday wasn't a 7-2 game either by those rules.

They were just trying to make Elliott's 500th game memorable.

Do you think it worked?

Asking for a friend...

:ToastingSmiley:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They were just trying to make Elliott's 500th game memorable.

Do you think it worked?

Asking for a friend...

:ToastingSmiley:

AV said they talked about wanting to play hard in front of Elliott tonight.

And they did.

Talk about it.

OK, they looked fine and it "wasn't a 7-3 loss".

They "played hard" and it was a 5-3 loss.

Edited by radoran
  • Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

Observations after watching about 2 periods:

1. Elliott has lost a lot of lateral mobility

2. Patrick is invisible

3. Our D cannot handle most first lines

4.  We outshot but underscored the opponent--a common thread the last few seasons

5. Our GM needs to draft a different type of player--we aren't skilled or speedy

6.  This back-to-back underscored our inconsistency. 

I didn't see this as an "effort" loss.  I would say this is talent.  I am not sure if a different coach would have a different result.  

• Like 2

Hopefully this was Moose’s last game as a Flyer. I appreciate his time here and think he served his purpose as a veteran backup to support Hart. Give Lyon the last 3 games or call Felix up. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Samifan said:

call Felix up

This gets my vote.

He'll get blown up, but give him the start and the experience in completely meaningless games.   See what he does as one of the janitors on the big stage.

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

He'll get blown up

And then maybe Hart and Felix get the group rate for the shrink...anything to save a buck on an entry level contract.

If we don't see him this season then something is up with Felix it just wouldn't make sense unless Chuckles doesn't want to give the Kraken any film on him in the NHL.

Which would make sense because they need AHL goalies to and guys still in the development stages of their careers.

Ah, Firmly back to reality.

And That is why Crosby is Crosby and Giroux is Giroux....(vomits in mouth)

Crosby is ****** unreal. I'm so sick of watching him do the right thing time and again for his team.....

FML.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Over a 24 hour period, we saw the best and worst of the squad.  It was as if the Hockey Gods wanted CF and AV to witness the prior 52 or whatever games in a compressed version.  Whatever Ghost did, it is not in the league of our buddy Wilson...and I agree with the Rangers--Paros and others were blind.  I saw a rehash of Todd Bertuzzi's crap with Moore when Wilson punched while on top. 

This season will not be over quick enough.  Even half a game is really unsettling.  The SCF of 2010 and the ECF of 2008 are really distant.  Even worse, they are reminders of how this franchise has floundered over the last decade.  Sad.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

https://twitter.cwhat

om/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1389928113711288323?s=20what a ****** joke

No worries. Very strange the DOPS....call him on the carpet for that but only fines Wilson.

Yep sounds fair to me.

Man all the stuff i have seen with Friedman he was not very well like while in Philly it seems all the liberties i have seen X teammates have with him.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The SCF of 2010

Which we saw was Giroux's most productive postseason to show that he is just another good player not a main piece in my mind to build around....especially in a leadership role.

Live and learn.

But will they ever learn??

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Which we saw was Giroux's most productive postseason to show that he is just another good player not a main piece in my mind to build around....especially in a leadership role.

His "most productive" stats wise was probably the 2012 where he had 17 points in 10 games.

I think he could be a piece to build around, but he's not the piece to build around. He was great in 2010 (21 in 23 games), 2011 (12 in 11) and 2012, but he wasn't the straw stirring the drink. He was able to play his game.

His game is not being the primary focus. Since he's been the primary focus he's got 18 points (4 goals) in 35 playoff games after 50 points in his first 44.

He's the "natural" first line center and captain that had never played either of those roles prior to the NHL. The NHL is a hard place for OJT.

I don't believe that this is "fixable" at this point. The Flyers have shown that where they are facing a determined, more talented opponent, they lose. The first night Pens were coming off a 3-1 stretch against the Bruins and the Caps. The Flyers were coming off a 0-3-1 stretch against the Devils. They wanted the game more, because the Pens were doing the classic hockey cliche of taking a lesser opponent lightly.

In the end, the Flyers poked the bear and the bear smacked them. The Pens came out and dominated the start of the game and most of the first period. They responded to a challenge at 3-2 by scoring four more goals. The Flyers didn't have an answer.

Not unlike the Game 7 against the Islanders in last season's playoffs. Yes, they won three OT games. But they lost four games and scored three goals total in the losses, shut out twice including Game 7. Despite losing Game 7, it was a "good sign" that they won a playoff round and pressed a team to Game 7. Much like losing in 7 to the Rangers in 2014 was a "good sign."

The key thing, though, is losses.

It could be that the organization* looks at this 1-4-1 stretch and says "see, they can beat the Penguins!" And they did.

But they also lost to the Devils three times and got blown out by the Pens.

What's the lesson there?

We'll find out.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

His "most productive" stats wise was probably the 2012 where he had 17 points in 10 games.

Sure if you want to break it down by points per game but in my book getting to the Stanley Cup title is the only goal i care about and of course hoisting it....which they fell short of.

But last i looked 21 points is greater than 17. Semantics.

His game is not being the primary focus. Since he's been the primary focus he's got 18 points (4 goals) in 35 playoff games after 50 points in his first 44.

I agree.

I don't believe that this is "fixable" at this point. The Flyers have shown that where they are facing a determined, more talented opponent, they lose.

Agree.

It could be that the organization* looks at this 1-4-1 stretch and says "see, they can beat the Penguins!" And they did.

This is the scary truth. Regardless i will not fork out another cent for them until i see big changes.

What's the lesson there?

Stock up on bourbon.

"Always be hydrating!!!"

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

what a ****** joke

Ghost will probably get suspended for the rest of the season...it'll be interesting how this plays out after the Wilson fiasco!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

missed this one, perhaps I didn't miss a lot.

I have a song I'm trying to learn, 10 years Gone by Led Zepplin. My buddy likes it and it could be a fun fire ring jammer.

It's going okay, the way Jimmy Page plays it's hard to really replicate his sound. He's so jangly so my version sounds like a native English speaker speaking Spanish.

You know what it is but...

Any way, good that the Flyers got ripped. The more we see moribund results the less chance the FO can ignore the need for improvements.

Doesn't sound like the effort wasn't there, sounds like they were their 2021 selves. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I didn't see this as an "effort" loss.  I would say this is talent.  I am not sure if a different coach would have a different result.  

Nice summation of the game. The Flyers seemed to be working hard but all the unforced turnovers. Wow. It's been bad all year but this was a new low.

Is it lack of talent? If you mean the talent level is too low to become an elite team then I think you're right. The only way this roster could be a legit threat is if everyone, from Hart on out, was having a career year or close to it - all at the same time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I have a song I'm trying to learn, 10 years Gone by Led Zepplin. My buddy likes it and it could be a fun fire ring jammer.

It's going okay, the way Jimmy Page plays it's hard to really replicate his sound. He's so jangly

I can't remember where I read it, probably in Creem but Page was going on about all the layering they did, running tapes backwards...all sorts of studio wizardry to get those guitar sounds. A 12-string and somebody else on a 6 is as close as I've come; not like the album but pretty nice, esp with a bit of phaser/flanger and reverb/decay of course. you tune the bottom string to D right?

edit: you know i may be misleading you...i can't honestly rem if it TYG he was talking about or something else. But the low E tuned to D is correct AFAIK. Good luck have fun!! i know you will.

Edited by GratefulFlyers