Cam York, thoughts?

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Alright Pissy McPissypants,

I get your point.  It's a good one, and I agree in big picture.

But give us 10 minutes to be excited about a kid, would'ya?  Mine isn't because of the 3 games, though it was brief confirmation of what I saw in WCJ and college.   It's because of WCJ & college  I know, it's college. It's not the Bumbfk Bears in the WHL or something.   But he really stood out in the WCJ tourney.    And in Michigan.   So give us 10 minutes.

On the other hand, I do think what you're saying is valid particularly as it relates to the Provy comparisons.   Because Provy did show that poise when he first came up.  Two years ago, that disappeared.  It was back to a great extent last year and now this past year has disappeared again.   Largely, I think, due to sober, competent veteran help next to him.    But also due to basic group psychology -- something York has not yet been exposed to over a span of a season or even 5 games.    The way this season progressed for the Flyers had to be soul crushing.   It's hard to say which came first the chicken or the egg (it's always the egg, btw), but even early on things were off.  As they won, but the message even among themselves was "yeah, but..." the sticks get gripped tighter, you start trying to get rid of the puck quickly, you react without thought and in ways that are self-destructive, etc.   And this builds on itself.  Add to that the sheer exhaustion that this season's schedule produced, add in COVID, and the mindset and growing sense of group panic and almost depression exploded into the utter **** show that was the second half of the season.    Where any adversity became an insurmountable assault on the psyche and any success was fleeting and -- subconsciously if not overtly--considered almost accidental and undeserved.

So, York--probably better than average in terms of hockey sense and confidence, etc.--came in with a healthy outlook and his positives were accentuated next to his zombiefied teammates.   So, it exaggerated some his positives.   Even a 60W bulb seems a crap ton brighter when it's suddenly lit in a room where you've been sitting in the dark for hours.      Similar with Allison, by the way.   His goofy, upbeat, "this is so fricken cool to be here!" attitude is probably him at heart, but it shown brighter next to the bodies strewn on the lawns of Jonestown.  

So, I don't think based on college and WCJ we anoint him better than Provy.   I don't think we necessarily say Provy is better, either.   I don't think we have reasonable data.  All we have is the anecdotal evidence of 3 games of watching a healthy kid walking around an ICU and saying, "oh my God, someone who walks and urinates on his own!"

Ya, as I pointed out more than once, I wasn't knocking York whatsoever. I was merely disagreeing that Provorov "can't carry a pair" and he "doesn't have it"... yet York, of 3 games "has it". 

Provorov has shown "he has it" for a hell of a lot more than 3 games. He's shown it for entire seasons.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Oh definitely, He hasn't had a year of big fast guys trying to kill him, so there's going to be an adjustment period. 

I have zero illusions that he's going to come in win the Norris after 10 games. I fully anticipate him having a trough where he struggles also. I won't be bashing him in year 3 because year 2 wasn't ZOMG perfect.

Nor will I. If there's something I've learned over the Holmgren era of Flyer hockey, it's patience. He never had it, but I do.

As I have said repeatedly in this very thread. When I've watched him, VS his peers he has stood out and looked like a true #1, wants the game on his stick every shift he's on the ice type guy. I don't remember that with Provorov, and if he had "it" he doesn't have "it" anymore.

There are now 2 straight years where Ivan has looked less like the man and more like a man.

Well if you mean York is more dynamic, I fully agree. But when Provorov doesn't have the stink on him that this team has had, he's a guy I want out there when you're up by a goal with a minute left. Those guys are getting harder and harder to come by. He scored 13 goals last season, putting him 9th in the NHL at 23 years old.  He's been up and down for sure. Duncan Keith scored 2 goals when he was 23. He scored more than 13 once in his entire career. 

So if that means he's not going to be Duncan Keith but more like Brent Seabrook with better scoring, I'm good with that, Brent was really good for a really long time.

York has looked like a version of Neidermayer or Keith to me when playing vs his peers. then immediately on his call up didn't look any different vs NHL players. 

So I won't give him the Norris today if you quit throwing a wet blanket on a potential bright spot. 

cool?

Again, standing up for Provorov, not knocking York. There's a difference.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, as I pointed out more than once, I wasn't knocking York whatsoever. I was merely disagreeing that Provorov "can't carry a pair" and he "doesn't have it"... yet York, of 3 games "has it". 

Provorov has shown "he has it" for a hell of a lot more than 3 games. He's shown it for entire seasons.

Say it again a few times.  No one has ever accused me of being a smart cookie.

Maybe a smart a##...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, flyercanuck said:

y'know, if you combine those two words it almost makes smarmy

how apropo! Post of the day! most accurate assessment of anything Flyer related I've heard all year

52 minutes ago, CoachX said:

how apropo! Post of the day! most accurate assessment of anything Flyer related I've heard all year

"Smarmy" is a running joke from the old board when someone clawed me up and down because I was a "smarmy bas***d."    The good old days  (they weren't wrong).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

"Smarmy" is a running joke from the old board when someone clawed me up and down because I was a "smarmy bas***d."    The good old days  (they weren't wrong).

yeah, i remember. I was there. thats why I knew it was so appropriate

Kuato says hello!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

yeah, i remember. I was there. thats why I knew it was so appropriate

Kuato says hello!

You were posting under a different name...NMFlyers...or gummy..or something like that. :ph34r:

Kuato....as Jeff Spicoli would say..."You dick"! 

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

You were posting under a different name...NMFlyers...or gummy..or something like that. :ph34r:

Kuato....as Jeff Spicoli would say..."You dick"! 

Yes, I was NMFlyer. No, I was not Gummy!

DICK!  j/k 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Yes, I was NMFlyer. No, I was not Gummy!

DICK!  j/k 

Okay, now I remember the screen name!

I wondered while mowing my lawn and was coming here specifically to ask if you were actually named Ken and married to GolfPro Barbie.

#AnybodyNeedaLexus?

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Okay, now I remember the screen name!

I wondered while mowing my lawn and was coming here specifically to ask if you were actually named Ken and married to GolfPro Barbie.

#AnybodyNeedaLexus?

Christ we're assholes...aren't we?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Christ we're assholes...aren't we?

Proud charter member of the American Society of Smarmy, Hateful Asshole TeddyBears.

a.k.a.:

A.S.S.H.A.T.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 3:05 PM, ruxpin said:

Lindblom and Patrick came from the type of injuries they had with predictable issues with stamina.   I mean, the length of time they were out and from what and they come back with no camp, no practice time, 3-4 games/week, etc., and then throw in a bout with COVID, ever-changing linemates, etc.    I know hockey players are supposed to be superhuman, but Jesus...

So you are saying that Patrick might, maybe, could become a average #3 center?  :)  

5 minutes ago, Digityman said:

So you are saying that Patrick might, maybe, could become a average #3 center?  :)  

Hey I thought that was another first round picks spot.

Scott Laughton picked up a new deal so where does he go to the LW spot on the 3rd or 4th?

Talk about return on investment. SMFH.

:bonkingheadonwall:

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I thought Laughton was a center? Which s fumy becasue we need center (not my words), and he just signed a new deal

Not sure he plays LW too.

But you have Giroux, Lindblom and Farabee too.

So let them figure it out.

Coots, Hayes, Frost and Patrick at center.

Lacynski can play center and LW too.

58 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Just happy with "barely competent #4 center" from him at this point.   But maybe #3.   I don't know if I'd go so far as "average #3."

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So you would have something to cheer about.

You have 5 more years to enjoy it.

Thoughts?

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

thoughts? I have none. My mind is totally numb from thinking about it. I guess NAK is off the hook as long as Laughton is around. Will he be exposed for the expansion draft?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So you would have something to cheer about.

You have 5 more years to enjoy it.

Thoughts?

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

I also think you like to bug me

• Haha 1