Playoffs 2021 Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning vs Florida Panthers (TBL Wins 4-2)

Warm Weather Winner?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Warm Weather Winner?

• Lightning Pound Cats in 4
    • Lightning Give Up Very Little in 5
    • Lightning Take a Great Series in 6
    • Lightning Get Pushed But Win in 7
    • Panthers Show There is a New Sheriff In 4
    • Panthers Continue Having Bolts Number in 5
    • Panthers Win Fantastic Series in 6
    • Panthers Show They Really Want That Cup in 7

I’m with TFG on this (sort of).  I don’t think it was borderline at all. It’s quite obvious from one angle that Bennett pushed the goalie’s pad out-of-the-way and then knocked the puck into the net. You can see the flex on Bennett’s stick as he is pushing the pad out of the way (1:26 mark of the video).  The referee was in great position to see that. It would’ve required a coach’s challenge to be reviewed and the Panthers did not want to take a two-minute penalty because they saw the same thing as the referee.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

What is most disconcerting is it was NOT reviewed when in reality it should have been.

@pilldoc

see the last sentence of my post above yours.  It was not an automatic review situation.  It required a coach’s challenge to be reviewed.  Coach Q made the right decision.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

one can see where Sam Bennett DID use the blade of his stick to push off on Vasilevskiy's pad and it DID cause the goalie to move slightly out of position

Even so he is allowed to because the puck was loose in the crease or not and no whistle was blown.

If the puck was covered well that would be a different story but it wasn't covered it was loose so they had the right to try and still get the puck across the line.

It should have been a goal....and even that close should have been a goal. They got screwed.

Not shocked the NHL blows another one. Even is 2021 they still can't get it right. Luckily i don't care and have no dog in the fight. But wrong is wrong.

56 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Ridiculous …. That is just horrific….

Exactly it was a loose puck had it been covered it would have been a different story but it wasn't.

It was sitting loose for anyone to claim or knock in. Should have been a goal. But they failed.

AGAIN.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Even so he is allowed to because the puck was loose in the crease or not and no whistle was blown.

Not true.  This is clearly spelled out in the rule book.  

69.3 Contact Inside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

6 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Not true.  This is clearly spelled out in the rule book.  

69.3 Contact Inside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

But when the puck is loose they let it go all the time. Should have been a goal. We'll agree to disagree.

What a bullsh it call and they may have lost the game for it. Terrible by the NHL once again.

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But when the puck is loose they let it go all the time. Should have been a goal. We'll agree to disagree.

What a bullsh it call and they may have lost the game for it. Terrible by the NHL once again.

The referee waived it off immediately, and was decisive in his call.  The video supports his call.  He applied the rule exactly as he should have.  Nothing else matters in this play.  The referee got it right and so did the Panthers for not challenging.

• Uggh... 2

7 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And again, if roles were reversed, the Panthers, or any other team for that matter, take the call going their way 100 out of 100 times.
Bolts aren't going to apologize for getting a favorable call.

Good post all around, but very much agree with this part.

I still laugh at the skate in the crease every time I read an HJ post.

3 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

The referee waived it off immediately, and was decisive in his call.  The video supports his call.  He applied the rule exactly as he should have.  Nothing else matters in this play.  The referee got it right and so did the Panthers for not challenging.

yeah, I'm sorry.  I'm another that will have to agree to disagree.   I think this was a horrible call -- and I'm actually cheering for the Bolts (though ultimately don't care).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

yeah, I'm sorry.  I'm another that will have to agree to disagree.   I think this was a horrible call -- and I'm actually cheering for the Bolts (though ultimately don't care).

Nothing personal, Rux (or anyone else), but you can disagree all you want because you don’t like the call.  It doesn’t change the fact that it was a clear cut violation of Rule 69.3.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

9 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Nothing personal, Rux (or anyone else), but you can disagree all you want.  It doesn’t change the fact that it was a clear cut violation of Rule 69.3.

I don't think there's anything clear cut about it.  All that's there is a guy fishing for a puck.  He didn't pitchfork him.   You're allowed to go into the crease for the puck and that's the beginning and end of what he did.

Q didn't challenge because it was going to be left to to judgement and he couldn't afford the penalty.    But it was a bad call.

But go ahead and repeat your rule another 20 times.  That oughta work.

Let's talk about rule 83. It's not relevant or clear cut either.

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't think there's anything clear cut about it.  All that's there is a guy fishing for a puck.  He didn't pitchfork him.   You're allowed to go into the crease for the puck and that's the beginning and end of what he did.

Q didn't challenge because it was going to be left to to judgement and he couldn't afford the penalty.    But it was a bad call.

But go ahead and repeat your rule another 20 times.  That oughta work.

Let's talk about rule 83. It's not relevant or clear cut either.

You  forgot the the most important part in between the beginning and the end where he pushed the goalie’s pad.  🙂

Controversy apart, the Cats look quite helpless against TBL. Makes me hope for the owner to lose interest in the Cup chase, and Barkov considering other teams (how about a Barkov - Kaprizov duo...)

Still, I'm rooting for Florida. I just hate the superiority of TBL. How can one build such a balanced team in a cap world, I just can't understand it.

• Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to Playoffs 2021 Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning vs Florida Panthers (TB Leads 2-1)

Florida has outplayed the Lightning for the most part in the first period of Game 4..... yet the Bolts are up 3-1 after 1.

Lots of heart shown by Florida, but their mistakes are super costly.

Lightning may not be playing their best defensive game here, but they are remaining calm and cool enough to make the Panthers pay for breakdowns.
And Vasilevskiy, super busy this period, is definitely outplaying Bobrovsky to this point.

The referees are idjits. Kucherov getting called for interference when shoved to Driedger from close range. More likely they should've awarded a penalty shot. WTF...

Edited by Hockey-78

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to Playoffs 2021 Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning vs Florida Panthers (TB Leads 3-1)

I should really root for TBL to beat the Cats to pulp,in the hope of Barkov getting tired of keep on losing in Florida and ending up as a center for the Wild. But it's only a dream anyways, and I just can't feel anything but annoyed looking at the perfection of TBL. It's like that guy way back in school who had all straight A's from Maths to Physical Education, all the girls pining for him, and who could knock you out with his left hand. God how I hate TBL. I think I'll burn every blue piece of clothing I have during this year's midsummer festivities. I'll probably be hit by lightning watching the bonfire, but it'll be worth it :hocky:

• Haha 1

Lightning need to close out this series tonight and leave the payback to the preseason for the 21-22 season.  Back to back now is far more important than payback given the amount of money the Lightning have invested in their current core. Stamkos and Kuch have proven to be injury prone, and the Tamp Bay farm system is but a shell of what it once was.  Living in Central New York and following the Crunch, I see the real story rather than reading what the sports reporters want you to believe.  Perfect example is if the Lightning pipeline was so deep and rich, there would have been no need to split the AHL franchise with the Panthers this season.

1 hour ago, Smokeader said:

Lightning need to close out this series tonight and leave the payback to the preseason for the 21-22 season.  Back to back now is far more important than payback given the amount of money the Lightning have invested in their current core. Stamkos and Kuch have proven to be injury prone, and the Tamp Bay farm system is but a shell of what it once was.  Living in Central New York and following the Crunch, I see the real story rather than reading what the sports reporters want you to believe.  Perfect example is if the Lightning pipeline was so deep and rich, there would have been no need to split the AHL franchise with the Panthers this season.

Agreed the Bolts should close out the Panthers tonight....easier said than done of course, but it IS what ideally should happen for The Champs.
Also agree payback can take a backseat, ALTHOUGH, if the game is in firm control, a bit of minor message sending wouldn't be such a bad idea.......

As for the farm system, of course it isn't what it once was. The main pieces of what was down there is now going strong at the NHL level.
However, Bolts STILL seem to come up with good players, particularly forwards, when people think they have nothing left.
And I also trust Julien Brisbois to be savvy enough to swing some deals, even at the minor league level, which may seem inconsequential at the time, in order to continue to produce quality players for the Bolts.

Sharing of the AHL affiliate has NOTHING to do with how stacked or thin the AHL team is.
Bolts simply offered the partnership to the Panthers because Florida's own affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers, opted out of the season........ Covid strikes again there.

At any rate, I really would like to see the Lightning put away Florida.
Frankly, I'm tired of seeing the Panthers.
Throughout the season, towards the end of the regular season when we played the umpteenth game against them, THEN we get matched up with them in Round 1....enough already.
Bolts need to put them away, and start game planning for either Carolina or Nashville.

I can only imagine how sick Bolts players are of seeing Panthers players as well............and vice versa.

Oh, and welcome to the boards! 🙂

More incentive for the Bolts to put Cats away tonight:

Florida is starting their third different goalie.
Spencer Knight may end up being the long term solution for the Panthers, but the Bolts don't want to give him any sort of confidence against them.

If Knight is good enough, he will make it in the NHL and be a thorn in the side of the Lightning for years regardless.... so he can go get his winning experience elsewhere and at someone else's expense....

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Agreed the Bolts should close out the Panthers tonight....easier said than done of course, but it IS what ideally should happen for The Champs.
Also agree payback can take a backseat, ALTHOUGH, if the game is in firm control, a bit of minor message sending wouldn't be such a bad idea.......

As for the farm system, of course it isn't what it once was. The main pieces of what was down there is now going strong at the NHL level.
However, Bolts STILL seem to come up with good players, particularly forwards, when people think they have nothing left.
And I also trust Julien Brisbois to be savvy enough to swing some deals, even at the minor league level, which may seem inconsequential at the time, in order to continue to produce quality players for the Bolts.

Sharing of the AHL affiliate has NOTHING to do with how stacked or thin the AHL team is.
Bolts simply offered the partnership to the Panthers because Florida's own affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers, opted out of the season........ Covid strikes again there.

At any rate, I really would like to see the Lightning put away Florida.
Frankly, I'm tired of seeing the Panthers.
Throughout the season, towards the end of the regular season when we played the umpteenth game against them, THEN we get matched up with them in Round 1....enough already.
Bolts need to put them away, and start game planning for either Carolina or Nashville.

I can only imagine how sick Bolts players are of seeing Panthers players as well............and vice versa.

Oh, and welcome to the boards! 🙂

Awesome stuff.

One of the issues we have been seeing in the system during the last few seasons is a lack of depth and bodies.  We also send players to Orlando for the ECHL team, as we should.  It is far better to give folks quality ice time in Orlando than third or fourth line minutes in Syracuse.

Once the annual injury bug hits, it seems to hit both Tampa and Syracuse at the same time.  I understand that the purpose of the AHL is to be able to send folks to the NHL.  That being typed, when you are not dressing 18/2 for games there is an issue.

I agree the time for the Lightning is indeed now.  That is my point.  The lack of decent depth in the AHL should be a cause for concern.  In the past, we had the best farm system for the league.  Looking at the current Lightning roster, as well as the players we have traded away to create the current roster, and you can see where all the hard work that built this team is paying off.  The cupboard sadly, is indeed drying up as there are no more than a handful of players who spent time in Syracuse this season that I would consider ready to step in and play even a limited role in Tampa.

It is time for the Lightning to start holding the draft choices again to bring the players into the system for five years down the road when they are the skaters the Bolts are building the future around.  Seattle will present a perfect chance to open up some cap room, hopefully without throwing in too much of the draft future.

Nice chatting with you.  Please have a pleasant evening.

• Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to Playoffs 2021 Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning vs Florida Panthers (TBL Leads 3-2)