Playoffs 2021 Opening Round: Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs (MTL Wins 4-3)

Choose Yer Poison  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Choose Yer Poison

• Habs Shock n Pound Leafs in 4
    • Habs Win in Surprising Fashion in 5
    • Habs Take Competitive Series in 6
    • Habs Contain the Leafs Enough to Win in 7
    • Leafs Laugh Their Way to the Next Round in 4
    • Leafs Dominate an Overmatched Habs Team in 5
    • Leafs Face Some Adversity, But Get it Done in 6
    • Leafs Show They are Ready To Go the Distance in 7

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

They have plenty of time to turn it around, but I'm living in the moment lol

It sucks to lose this year, but then again not really. The mitigating factors are:

1. Covid year. (No fans allowed in. No 82-game schedule. No normal division setup. No thanks.)
  2. Injuries to Tavares and Muzzin.
  3. Look at who's left.

I don't need anyone putting an asterisk next to the Leafs Cup win by saying it was a only 56-game season or that it was only the North division, blah blah blah. Don't need to have the Leafs championship year be a year where nobody can watch the games live and nobody can have a parade afterwards to celebrate.

Plus, look at the playoff teams remaining. The Knights? The Islanders? The Lightning? Ugh.  I remember the season (recently) where Tampa went through FOUR original six teams on their Stanley Cup path. Nobody in Toronto would have wanted to see Vegas or the Islanders. The Lightning are entertaining, and recent champs, but there's no rivalry there with Toronto, and they still don't hold any special drawing power to Toronto fans. So all in all, it would have been a boring and lame playoffs with the worst finish ever. I'll pass.

5 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It sucks to lose this year, but then again not really. The mitigating factors are:

1. Covid year. (No fans allowed in. No 82-game schedule. No normal division setup. No thanks.)
  2. Injuries to Tavares and Muzzin.
  3. Look at who's left.

I don't need anyone putting an asterisk next to the Leafs Cup win by saying it was a only 56-game season or that it was only the North division, blah blah blah. Don't need to have the Leafs championship year be a year where nobody can watch the games live and nobody can have a parade afterwards to celebrate.

Plus, look at the playoff teams remaining. The Knights? The Islanders? The Lightning? Ugh.  I remember the season (recently) where Tampa went through FOUR original six teams on their Stanley Cup path. Nobody in Toronto would have wanted to see Vegas or the Islanders. The Lightning are entertaining, and recent champs, but there's no rivalry there with Toronto, and they still don't hold any special drawing power to Toronto fans. So all in all, it would have been a boring and lame playoffs with the worst finish ever. I'll pass.

Look at who's left?

Matthews, Nylander, marner, Reilly 

It's not like they were lacking young star power and good role players. Brodie, Hyman, foligno, and some veterans in Thornton,  Spezza, etc

Campbell went 17-3-2 regular season and then did well for the first 4 games. But when it came time to close the deal, they all perplexingly folded. It was very ......sharklike. 

The amount of meme's I have seen have been sensational lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Look at who's left?

Matthews, Nylander, marner, Reilly 

It's not like they were lacking young star power and good role players. Brodie, Hyman, foligno, and some veterans in Thornton,  Spezza, etc

Campbell went 17-3-2 regular season and then did well for the first 4 games. But when it came time to close the deal, they all perplexingly folded. It was very ......sharklike. 

The amount of meme's I have seen have been sensational lol.

Exactly no one who has won anything.  Everyone with a pedigree of losing.   They need just one or two vets in middle roles (middle six, middle D-pair) or better who were pieces of champion.   Not specifically him, but like Montreal did with Perry.  At this point, the failures are mounting and multiplying on individual and team psyche.   Have at least two that have been there, done that, to be the guard rails and the voices of calm.   Bringing in people like Joe Thonton (sorry) and Wayne Fricken Simmonds with a career of losing isn't the solution.   Clearly.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Exactly no one who has won anything.  Everyone with a pedigree of losing.   They need just one or two vets in middle roles (middle six, middle D-pair) or better who were pieces of champion.   Not specifically him, but like Montreal did with Perry.  At this point, the failures are mounting and multiplying on individual and team psyche.   Have at least two that have been there, done that, to be the guard rails and the voices of calm.   Bringing in people like Joe Thonton (sorry) and Wayne Fricken Simmonds with a career of losing isn't the solution.   Clearly.

If Boston somehow doesn't sign Rask, Toronto had better be first and second in line to sign him before they do anything other adding on. I have no faith in either Andersen or Campbell.

Edited by FD19372

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

If Boston somehow doesn't sign Rask, Toronto had better be first and second in line to sign him before they do anything other adding on. I have no faith in either Andersen or Campbell.

Rask has stated its Boston or nowhere else.

I think he isn't bluffing if not I think he sign somewhere near the motherland.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Too late for Rask. Would only anger Toronto fans that he wasn't here all along.  I think Campbell is fine and Andersen could be a veteran backup if he stays healthy, but he is clearly not #1 material any longer because his decline has spanned multiple years now. Given his injury problems though, I think Andersen is probably done. Just can't rely on him to be healthy any more. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

936DC8AF-94A1-4207-9957-B51FB6BEA3E4.jpeg

What does this say about the Western Conference?  3/4 are East teams and it's an all-East final.

And if Montreal wins it the Leafs can say they were up 3-1 and lost in 7 to the eventual Stanley Cup champion. In fact, the Leafs can say they pushed the eventual champions harder than any other team in these playoffs. That essentially makes the Leafs the 2nd best team overall in these playoffs.  :) 

7 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

What does this say about the Western Conference?  3/4 are East teams and it's an all-East final.

And if Montreal wins it the Leafs can say they were up 3-1 and lost in 7 to the eventual Stanley Cup champion. In fact, the Leafs can say they pushed the eventual champions harder than any other team in these playoffs. That essentially makes the Leafs the 2nd best team overall in these playoffs.  :) 

And 3rd best overall.  Because the flyers were the best because they sucked.  I'll figure out the rest of the reasoning later because it involves a loom and translating some papyrus from original Aramaic, but that's what I got for now.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

And 3rd best overall.  Because the flyers were the best because they sucked.  I'll figure out the rest of the reasoning later because it involves a loom and translating some papyrus from original Aramaic, but that's what I got for now.

Of course I'm assuming Montreal wins and does so in less than 7 games.  (For my previously mentioned logic to be true.)  :)

Which brings me back to the Leafs again: Imagine knowing that you had the champions on the ropes (down 3-1 in the series) and due to laziness, lack of effort, lack of guts, lack of heart, you didn't give it 100% to finish them off. Therefore, the Leafs players will always know that they gave away a Stanley Cup to their long time rival... a team they truly could have beaten. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It's the only way they could get a Canadian team back in the finals...leave em alone.... :beer:

• Like 1