2021 Round 2 Quarter Finals : Las Vegas Golden Knights vs Colorado Avalanche (VGK Win 4-2)

Who is Championship Material Here?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Championship Material Here?

• Vegas Lance Through the Avs in 4
    • Vegas Make Short Work of Colorado and Slice'em Up in 5
    • Vegas Outduels Colorado and Pierces Their Rocky Hearts in 6
    • Vegas Wins a Brutal Affair That Sees Them Drag the Colorado Carcass Back Home in 7
    • Avlanche Crush Those Mortal Knights in 4
    • Avalanche Block All Roads To Knights Success in 5
    • Avalanche Crack a Bit, But Still Have More Than Enough to Finish Off Vegas in 6
    • Avalanche Bury a Valiant Knights Group for Good in 7

The better team won. I think Grubauer's bad play (compared to Fleury) demoralised the Avs a bit. They are a young team - under pressure they start to break, lose cohesion and stop playing as a unit anyways - they really don't need a bad goal let in, as they would have problems keeping their act together anyways.

Kadri missing didn't help team play for the reasons stated (having Kadri would have helped the team with the players in new roles problem). However Kadri has been such a hothead that I am not sure if he would have managed to help the Avs with the cohesion problem. He has lots of individual skills and nastiness needed, but can he keep playing for the team, when he gets steaming? If he had played, would he have taken a dumb penalty at the wrong time, or started playing as an individual instead of a team member, or mouthing off in the wrong way in the locker room? I think the Avs might have to dump him. He still seems to be too much of a question mark. If the Avs get a bit better goal tending, one solid, big reliable defenseman, that's all they need. They might win a cup in the next few years. Can they risk a center getting a suspension every series?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

The better team won. I think Grubauer's bad play (compared to Fleury) demoralised the Avs a bit. They are a young team - under pressure they start to break, lose cohesion and stop playing as a unit anyways - they really don't need a bad goal let in, as they would have problems keeping their act together anyways.

Agreed.

9 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Kadri missing didn't help team play for the reasons stated (having Kadri would have helped the team with the players in new roles problem). However Kadri has been such a hothead that I am not sure if he would have managed to help the Avs with the cohesion problem. He has lots of individual skills and nastiness needed, but can he keep playing for the team, when he gets steaming? If he had played, would he have taken a dumb penalty at the wrong time, or started playing as an individual instead of a team member, or mouthing off in the wrong way in the locker room? I think the Avs might have to dump him. He still seems to be too much of a question mark. If the Avs get a bit better goal tending, one solid, big reliable defenseman, that's all they need. They might win a cup in the next few years. Can they risk a center getting a suspension every series?

It's true; Sakic may well decide to move on from Kadri. He hurt the team this year and, aside from not playing after game 2 of the first round, may have also been a distraction with his appeal. Kadri was outstanding last playoffs, but things often come down to "what have you done for me lately", so his time there could be ending soon.

Either way, Vegas has a deeper team, and just seem to be built so well for the playoffs, so it was going to be a tough series Colorado anyway. As you said, the better team won.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

Agreed.

It's true; Sakic may well decide to move on from Kadri. He hurt the team this year and, aside from not playing after game 2 of the first round, may have also been a distraction with his appeal. Kadri was outstanding last playoffs, but things often come down to "what have you done for me lately", so his time there could be ending soon.

Either way, Vegas has a deeper team, and just seem to be built so well for the playoffs, so it was going to be a tough series Colorado anyway. As you said, the better team won.

if you look at all four teams in the final four, their rosters only 4 players under the age of 26 meaning all the teams have alot of depth of experienced players. experience matters in the playoffs, if you have more 2 year and rookies in your lineup, more of a case you are not going to make it far.

as a flyers fan, i knew we werent going to make the playoffs because we lost so much experience it hurt us, you dont win by relying on inexperience players which we have 11 of them, it's impossible.

Edited by tucson83
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I said that Kadri has had 3 different playoffs where's he been suspended, depriving his team of his services, and you responded by saying "Kadri cost them the series? Really?", thus arguing a point that I didn't make, since I never said that Kadri cost them the series.

I wonder why the Avs counter-punch might have been lacking? I have a crazy theory that part of the reason is because Kadri wasn't playing, and they were forced to play a 4C in a 3C role which he isn't suited for, robbing the team of part of its depth. Depth, as we see every year, is king in the playoffs because, just as with happened with the Avs, teams can often shut down star players.

:console: