The Thrill: Wild vs Kaprizov... Who Flinches First?

Jimtown guy

I think there might be a bumpy road ahead - it's great to throw our common sense and reasonable assumptions - which you'd think make sense - but someone like him and his opportunities - I have a feeling it is not going to depend on many of the things mentioned. It took MN how long to get him here...?  Hope all goes well - but have a feeling something is going to come out of left field that nobody with understand or be able to rationalize...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Confrontational said:

I think there might be a bumpy road ahead - it's great to throw our common sense and reasonable assumptions - which you'd think make sense - but someone like him and his opportunities - I have a feeling it is not going to depend on many of the things mentioned. It took MN how long to get him here...?  Hope all goes well - but have a feeling something is going to come out of left field that nobody with understand or be able to rationalize...

I hope too - it will go well. Maybe to make him more comfortable because of some difficulties of the language barrier here the Wild club will insert a couple more Russian players like other clubs do. For example, Tampa has 3, Washington has 4 players. Probably, this way Kaprizov will not feel lonely. And Covid restrictions will be much less too and they are already less in comparison to the beginning of the season.

On 6/21/2021 at 2:08 PM, Alexandron said:

Those pictures were taken from the Russo twit, regarding a recent dilemma - to sign or not to sign? Anyway nice pictures State of Hoppy shared to fans.🤩

You have a strange reaction. I was thinking more not about Kaprizov, but about this beauty Mother Nature creation. Probably, he definitely needs one to bring here just to make his life more happier.

Russo was on KFAN this morning. He said the front office is starting to panic behind the scenes about Kirill. The same agent got the 3 year deal for Panarin before he then signed the massive deal for $11.6/yr.Neither he nor Mich thought Kap would actually follow through with going back to the KHL, but it is leverage for their side. 

They took calls about possible deals, but the overall sense was nothing is happening yet. Neither they, nor guests thought an Eichel deal was a possibility.

Russo thought it was 50/50 that Fiala gets dealt, I assume in a package for a 1C.

Insider guy at the end of the show thinks teams are probably calling Seattle about intentions of taking Dumba and then willingness to flip him. So, does Guerin try to work a Dumba deal for himself ahead of the draft, instead?

• Uggh... 1

33 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Russo was on KFAN this morning. He said the front office is starting to panic behind the scenes about Kirill. The same agent got the 3 year deal for Panarin before he then signed the massive deal for $11.6/yr.Neither he nor Mich thought Kap would actually follow through with going back to the KHL, but it is leverage for their side. 

They took calls about possible deals, but the overall sense was nothing is happening yet. Neither they, nor guests thought an Eichel deal was a possibility.

Russo thought it was 50/50 that Fiala gets dealt, I assume in a package for a 1C.

Insider guy at the end of the show thinks teams are probably calling Seattle about intentions of taking Dumba and then willingness to flip him. So, does Guerin try to work a Dumba deal for himself ahead of the draft, instead?

It seems we have lots and lots of questions to resolve this offseason. I still have a question to the club - why did we trade our very productive hard working experienced veteran Eric Staal (I just looked through his 4 season stats in our team)?  He could be a very  helpful player for our team as he is now at Canadiens.

If Kaprizov will go, then my interest will be transferred to Rossi and Boldy for the next season. Maybe they both will be able to produce at least a half of what Kaprizov did this season for the team? And hope, some other promising prospects will have a chance to play for the main club too - Beckman, Dewar, Sokolov; Giroux. I think we should never lose our optimism to see our team better.

I have just read from a Russo twit some not very promising news:

"fans are on edge on the thoughts of losing Kaprizov and Fiala. Fans saw the true potential this past year! I think Dumba seems like logical piece to try and trade other then asking others to wave there no trade options."

How long is this clause by MN with Krill regarding MN being the only NHL team he can sign with (the article didn't say). Can he sign with the KHL for a year - and then reenter the NHL without ties to MN...? (just curious what kind of leverage MN has here)

Lynx - maybe you can sum it up short if you know - but how did this whole thing happen and how can he be restricted to just MN...?  Obviously a star over there - somehow the MN recruiters got to him - took years to hook him - numerous delays for numerous reasons...  Guess what I'm curious about - if I'm a super star in the KHL - why would MN be the team of all teams to get him that entry contract...?  Surely the Wild was nowhere near the top of his preferred teams to be a star on - no...? 

I've been removed from MN hockey - so just curious how this whole thing even happens - and why/how MN got a chance with him...  

Also - if he can literally generate millions upon millions upon millions for the Wild franchise - in addition to his pay - why not go overboard on him - even paying an over-the-cap penalty if you have to...? There's no doubt this one guy can get asses in Xcel seats and viewers on tv - not to mention massive club exposure in other markets, closer to the cup, merch off the charts, etc...  

I just have this strange feeling that something out of left field is brewing...  Or, maybe I'm confusing that with "this is too good to be true for MN" - hence my questions above...

Edited by Confrontational
  • Good Post 1

5 hours ago, Confrontational said:

How long is this clause by MN with Krill regarding MN being the only NHL team he can sign with (the article didn't say). Can he sign with the KHL for a year - and then reenter the NHL without ties to MN...? (just curious what kind of leverage MN has here)

Lynx - maybe you can sum it up short if you know - but how did this whole thing happen and how can he be restricted to just MN...?  Obviously a star over there - somehow the MN recruiters got to him - took years to hook him - numerous delays for numerous reasons...  Guess what I'm curious about - if I'm a super star in the KHL - why would MN be the team of all teams to get him that entry contract...?  Surely the Wild was nowhere near the top of his preferred teams to be a star on - no...? 

I've been removed from MN hockey - so just curious how this whole thing even happens - and why/how MN got a chance with him...  

Also - if he can literally generate millions upon millions upon millions for the Wild franchise - in addition to his pay - why not go overboard on him - even paying an over-the-cap penalty if you have to...? There's no doubt this one guy can get asses in Xcel seats and viewers on tv - not to mention massive club exposure in other markets, closer to the cup, merch off the charts, etc...  

I just have this strange feeling that something out of left field is brewing...  Or, maybe I'm confusing that with "this is too good to be true for MN" - hence my questions above...

Sincerely, I do not know how to answer at these questions. The article above said:

"Kaprizov is currently an RFA, but with a 10.2c status. In plain English, he has not played enough games to be a regular Group 2 RFA, meaning no other team can put in an offer sheet for him. The Wild are the only NHL team that can offer him a contract."

Maybe they offered the contract which his agent did not liked it when he was here few months ago?

Actually Kaprizov has same agent (Paul Theofanous) as is for Panarin, and probably wants to make lots of money out of that deal.

Guerin and Leipold are all about winning. The selling is secondary. Besides, one sells better if one is a contender. You can't overpay much, if one wants to build a good team. There's nothing sinister in this, it's just business. We'll just have to hope a good deal for both parties is negotiated.

• Like 1

Here is an info regarding a list of promising RFA this off-season, which I found at dobberhockey.com :

"the list of upcoming RFAs is even better. There's already rumours that Kirill Kaprizov will be offered a contract in the KHL, which means the Wild may have to pony up serious money to keep him. Aside from him, Cale Makar, Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, Pavel Buchnevich, Andrei Svechnikov, Kevin Fiala, Patrik Laine, Rasmus Dahlin and Brady Tkachuk lead the RFA list. Then there's players such as Conor Garland, Jakub Vrana, Neal Pionk, Joel Eriksson Ek, Anthony Beauvillier, Miro Heiskanen and Tyler Bertuzzi. Don't forget netminders Juuse Saros, Alex Nedeljkovic, Ilya Samsonov, Ilya Sorokin, Carter Hart and Igor Shesterkin. Many will sign bridge deals but some teams may want to lock some of these players up long-term. It will be interesting to see how much money will be given to these players this offseason."

No questions Kaprizov would be the first in that list for us. I also would be interested a lot for our team a few more players: Cale Makar; Andrei Svechnikov; our Wild players Kevin Fiala and Joel EEk. Out of goalies list present an interest Ilya Sorokin, who played in KHL for 2 seasons with Kaprizov. And Svechnikov who is a star now for Carolina team, previously built a very nice chemistry with our prospect Sokolov when played in OHL.

99 out of 100 first place votes.  What were we worried about?  Congrats, Thrill, now please re-sign for all the MN fans who faithfully awaited your arrival - not that this will factor into his business decision.  How are we all collectively feeling about those two BOAT ANCHOR contracts for the cancers, when we have Kap, Fiala, EEK, etc. to sign.  What a clusterfu#@ those contracts continue to be - like herpes - the gift that keeps on giving (with tongue firmly in cheek) 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Impressive Calder! The records shattered are listed here:

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/kaprizov-calder-trophy-winner-062921/c-325512814

Tenth Calder winner drafted 5th round or later 🖐🖐

Interesting info, that in this list of Calder winners drafted 5th round or later  are the best hockey stars for me Makarov and Pavel Bure.

I dunno - just something a little strange with everything I read about him - not sure what it is - but to be on a fishing trip while the award is announced, etc - maybe his agent is super smart and knows the right moves to get him mega money - but for a guy who loves to play in MN, etc - there sure seems to always be a twist with him. Cut from an article:

Though a brief interview with Kaprizov played during the NHL Awards Show on Tuesday night, he was not made available for comment, as he's currently on a fishing trip in Siberia without Internet access. According to the Wild, the hope is for Kaprizov to be made available at some point next week.

Whenever he talks to reporters, Kaprizov undoubtedly will be peppered with questions regarding his contract status. He's in line for a new contract this offseason and Wild general manager Bill Guerin has made it clear that re-signing Kaprizov is the team's top priority this offseason.

It's no secret the Wild hope to sign Kaprizov to a long-term deal to keep him around the Twin Cities for the foreseeable future. That said, Kaprizov is reportedly more interested in a short-term deal, not wanting to tie himself to the Wild without knowing what the roster will look like down the road.

"We'd prefer a longer deal," Guerin said last month. "There's two sides to the coin. You have to be open minded. Like I said, it's a process, so there's some going back and forth and things like that. Look, we love Kirill, I don't think there's any secret there, and what he's brought to our team. We will do what we can to get a fair deal."

20 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

99 out of 100 first place votes.  What were we worried about?  Congrats, Thrill, now please re-sign for all the MN fans who faithfully awaited your arrival - not that this will factor into his business decision. 

Sarah McLellan also said:

"Kirill Kaprizov was a near unanimous winner of the Calder Trophy; he received 99 of 100 first-place votes. This is the highest percentage of first-place votes in Calder balloting since 1992-93, when Teemu Selanne (Winnipeg) was the top pick on all 50 ballots".

• Like 1

It seems Kirill likes fishing a lot according to his fishing trip to Siberia. We can provide the best fishing in Minnesota too at more than 10000.00 lakes here and the climate in Minnesota during the winter is near a Siberian one.