The Thrill: Wild vs Kaprizov... Who Flinches First?

Jimtown guy

$9M AAV for the next five years given that, despite the Calder on a shortened season, he hasn't still proven anything more. My first thought: too much. Rask is off the books next years but the Parisé-Suter cap recapture will be be $8M higher in 2022-2023.

Kirill, I'm sure you're a nice guy and all, but for crying out loud:

If you can't and won't wear your smelly jock straps for no less than $9 mil. a year, you can come and ki$$ my rear when I fart after five burritos. 

Seriously, grow a pair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The buyout dead money isn't cap recapture.  That would've been worse.  My guess is they're playing this out as close as they can get to Sept. 1st hoping the Wild will blink / cave in.  

IMO, I wouldn't pay #97, $9 million a season no matter the length of the term.  

At this point I'm kind of numb to the whole thing.  We'll still be a pretender even if he signs a deal.  If he doesn't, then we go to barely a pretender status.  

• Like 1

Guerin has my support on the way he's handling it so far.  I think it will be interesting to see if there is a schism between fans if #97 decides to hold out.  

With Rossi looking very good, Khusnutdinov looking really good.  Heck even Filip Johansson is lighting the lamp, the less I care if #97 comes back.  

• Like 3

One star player could play enormous role for entire team. 

It seems something is going on behind the curtain. And maybe family problems affecting this contract too. No one knows. Our team badly needs stars. How many do we have now?

9 hours ago, Alexandron said:

One star player could play enormous role for entire team. 

It seems something is going on behind the curtain. And maybe family problems affecting this contract too. No one knows. Our team badly needs stars. How many do we have now?

And paying him $13 million just because he thinks he's worth that much after just 55 games is crazy.  Selling off a ton of players just to keep him around makes no sense.  

What family problems?  Our team is getting better even without him.  

6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

And paying him $13 million just because he thinks he's worth that much after just 55 games is crazy.  Selling off a ton of players just to keep him around makes no sense.  

Sure makes it a lot more fun watching the Wild with him but your right to much money. 

• Like 1

The Wild would have to be ready to put everything on one card, and a card that has been very difficult to get on a plane to MIN (or even get a GM meeting with). If the bet is made, the Wild would have to be absolutely sure IF he's worth the money AND is ready to stay in Minny OR be tradeable in a way that compensates if the bet fails. I'd rather make bets on Khusnutdinov, Rossi, Boldy, Addison, etc., if the other option is McDavid money paid.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

The Wild would have to be ready to put everything on one card, and a card that has been very difficult to get on a plane to MIN (or even get a GM meeting with). If the bet is made, the Wild would have to be absolutely sure IF he's worth the money AND is ready to stay in Minny OR be tradeable in a way that compensates if the bet fails. I'd rather make bets on Khusnutdinov, Rossi, Boldy, Addison, etc., if the other option is McDavid money paid.

Announce from Michael Russo which I made before: "Tonight at 6 at@kowalskismarket in Shoreview, we’ll be hosting a live Worst Seats in the House@TalkNorthPod. We’ll be judging an @AnthonyLaPanta steak cookoff, there will be smoked ribs to sample, you can ask your #mnwild questions. Outdoor event, so please come down & join us."

I just came back home from that a live show(almost 1,5 hours) "The worst seats in the house" where Michael Russo; Anthony LaPanta and Wild Goalie Coach from my understanding (for Talbot and Kahkonen) unswered on lots of questions regarding our team as well it was a judging for the grilled meat too.  

Of course, they had first questions were regarding Kaprizov. He is worth the money. 55 games or 82 games is not matter. Kaprizov will show his best results, because not any teams in NHL are the same - some of them extremely good; and some of them not very good; very weak. And I agree with LaPanta how he answered about that question. Michael Russo added, that probably agreement will be done this week or next week when Kaprizov will tell to his agent - it's enough. Kaprizov was asking 3 years and Guerin 7-8 years. The agreement will be for 5 years for the same price $9 mln. per season as was proposed before or maybe for $9 mln and 97 dollars. Russo laughed. Goligoski is going to replace Suter in PP. Boldy probably will find a spot in the main roster. Rossi will have some tryouts too. Addison most minutes will have in AHL this season, but next season will find his spot in the big club.  Our blue line will look different this season because of lots of new players, but they suppose to bring more grid, more power to our team. This coming training camp will be more selective for our youngsters. They must to demonstrate their best skills.

During the show we tasted grilled ribs and some meat, but at the end they had 10 racks of grilled ribs for free, and I have got the last one.😎

I did some pictures too.

20210830_181011(08,30;2021;Shoreview).jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Nice to see fans meeting! Russo looking very fit, too 👍

I agree. He and Anthony LaPanta looking very fit. Anthony is on the above first picture on the left side next to the grill, because he was grilling during entire show. Russo said that during the show about 150 fans were there including well known bloggers. On some fans shirts were written Blades of Kirill; Kirill The Trill. And even Granlund name I found on the fans shirt. 🙂. Most show I was sitting on a third row in front of the Michael Russo and the person who was responsible for recording. And I am happy I was able attend to, probably, one time life opportunity to see Michael Russo in my town.

4 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I agree. He and Anthony LaPanta looking very fit. Anthony is on the above first picture on the left side next to the grill, because he was grilling during entire show. Russo said that during the show about 150 fans were there including well known bloggers. On some fans shirts were written Blades of Kirill; Kirill The Trill. And even Granlund name I found on the fans shirt. 🙂. Most show I was sitting on a third row in front of the Michael Russo and the person who was responsible for recording. And I am happy I was able attend to, probably, one time life opportunity to see Michael Russo in my town.

Lucky you! I'll probably never have the money, time and opportunity, all at the same time, to get a chance of attending these kind of Wild get-togethers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2021 at 7:50 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Yeah, I thought that $9M was off the charts for the number of games played in his career, but $13M? Yikes. This is a real test for Bill Guerin, whom I think a lot of as a hockey man.

Edited by JR Ewing

5 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

Nevermind. Not seeing this confirmed anywhere 

Well Russo said on KFAN that he believes that they've settled on 5x9 but there still hammering out the year to year structure so an announcement isn't necessarily imminent. 

• Like 1

I still think $9 million is too much.  He's making more than Sidney Crosby.  Having been to a Russo / Souhan show I can say it was a good time.  He certainly has a group that will go and show up to wherever he goes.  They usually sit front and center and Russo will sometimes banter with them a bit.  I am sure they relished having a crowd instead of just sitting at their kitchen table doing the podcast in front of LaPanta's wife and that's about it.  

• Like 1

He got the Calder, ok, but hasn't proven anything yet on a constant basis and it's still not known if he's a fair-weather player when it comes to the money time in a play-off context. I still think Guerin is the right guy to deal with this but if a 5-yr contract at $9M AAV is really on the table, I'd use the paper to lit the fire for the charcoal barbecue.

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I still think $9 million is too much.  He's making more than Sidney Crosby. 

Crosby's cap hit is $8.7M, but his salary this year is... $9M.

Including next season he averaged out to $10.6M a year for nine years, then has three years at $3M apiece 2022-25. It's not exactly apples-to-apples when dealing with a contract signed a CBA and two MOUs ago.

A good Calder Comparable might be Artemi Panarin (15-16) - Russian, also won at 24, averaged about .04 ppg more than KK, signed a two year bridge deal with Chicago for $6M, Chicago then got essentially three years of Brandon Saad, 35 games of Anton Forsberg who then turned into Calvin de Haan for him and he signed with the Rangers, now making $11.6M.

From where I sit the Wild need to either sign the player or deal his rights with an eye to getting more back than Chicago wound up with for Panarin.

"Letting him rot" does little to help anyone. And if a short term deal that ends in UFA for him means he walks for nothing... Well, the Wild aren't in a position where he's the difference between a strong Cup competitor and not.

• Like 2