The Thrill: Wild vs Kaprizov... Who Flinches First?

Jimtown guy

8 hours ago, radoran said:

Crosby's cap hit is $8.7M, but his salary this year is... $9M.

Including next season he averaged out to $10.6M a year for nine years, then has three years at $3M apiece 2022-25. It's not exactly apples-to-apples when dealing with a contract signed a CBA and two MOUs ago.

A good Calder Comparable might be Artemi Panarin (15-16) - Russian, also won at 24, averaged about .04 ppg more than KK, signed a two year bridge deal with Chicago for $6M, Chicago then got essentially three years of Brandon Saad, 35 games of Anton Forsberg who then turned into Calvin de Haan for him and he signed with the Rangers, now making $11.6M.

From where I sit the Wild need to either sign the player or deal his rights with an eye to getting more back than Chicago wound up with for Panarin.

"Letting him rot" does little to help anyone. And if a short term deal that ends in UFA for him means he walks for nothing... Well, the Wild aren't in a position where he's the difference between a strong Cup competitor and not.

Unfortunately, we do not have any stars in our team. We need him a lot! We have now in Minnesota (August 26 - September 6) the biggest event in US MN State Fair ,which is second after Texas State Fair. Lots of booths, lots of show, lots of tasty food and drinks and etc. At the Grandstand booth among other shirts of famous players from different teams Vikings, Timberwolves they sell also there a Kaprizov's shirt with his signature for $600.00. No doubt, he is a star for the Wild team. Hopefully, the contract with him will be signed soon.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Math said:

He got the Calder, ok, but hasn't proven anything yet on a constant basis and it's still not known if he's a fair-weather player when it comes to the money time in a play-off context. I still think Guerin is the right guy to deal with this but if a 5-yr contract at $9M AAV is really on the table, I'd use the paper to lit the fire for the charcoal barbecue.

I will drink a glass of red wine made from my own created grapes. I have got 10 awards at MN State Fair for my grapes and other fruits grown in Minnesota, when participated in 10 different competitions this year. 3 of my awards were 1st.

• Like 4

Here is an article from hockeywilderness.com. They are still working on his contract and it seems they are getting close:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2021/8/31/22651141/minnesota-wild-sign-kirill-kaprizov-report-contract-five-years

I am already thinking that the length of negotiation between Kaprizov and the Wild organization definitely is going to be a part of the Wild history. Probably, that is attracting a lot of attention and interest to the Wild team from the entire NHL media, when it is going to be finally done? I think that attention is working for good to our big club so far. 

Truly, I am getting tired of this negotiation. Training camp is going to start soon, and probably, Kaprizov will miss it as well as preseason games starting on September 25th. Maybe he does not need it, but still would be nice to see a signed contract at this time of the year. I just came back from a week vacation at Headwaters of the Mississippi river starting in Minnesota. And found out that contract is not signed yet. Interesting, I met there a St. Louis fan of my age who watched most playoffs 2019 games at their arena. He told me his unbelievable experience after 52 years of waiting. St. Louis was celebrating this event for a week with 0 arrests during this period. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Truly, I am getting tired of this negotiation. Training camp is going to start soon, and probably, Kaprizov will miss it as well as preseason games starting on September 25th. Maybe he does not need it, but still would be nice to see a signed contract at this time of the year. I just came back from a week vacation at Headwaters of the Mississippi river starting in Minnesota. And found out that contract is not signed yet. Interesting, I met there a St. Louis fan of my age who watched most playoffs 2019 games at their arena. He told me his unbelievable experience after 52 years of waiting. St. Louis was celebrating this event for a week with 0 arrests during this period. 

Looks like there might be trouble on Mt. Kaprizov according to this.  I see more of the Kaprizov fan-boys are starting to finally get annoyed with the fact this fruitless standoff continues.  

Honestly...I hope people remember this and forever hold it against him.  When Gaborik did this in 2003-04 I felt the same way as I do now...and this will be especially true if Kaprizov holds out as well which it seems like its headed to that point since they hope the team will pay him seven figures.  

• Like 1

“The player is doing what he feels is right,” Guerin said via NHL.com. “You need to respect that, and I do. I respect Kirill and I don’t think he’s doing anything abnormal right now. It’s just a matter of, ‘When do we get the deal done?'”

“I held out twice, and neither time did it work out well for me,” he said. “We’ve had players who have missed training camp, and they start slow. They’re behind. I know from experience it’s not good.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kirill-kaprizov-extension-talks-quiet-141910570.html

2 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

He's not going to make it to camp. He needs a contract, a visa, and a new vaccination. Sputnik is a no go, I'm sure. The stubborness is now hurting the team. 

My focus is turning more towards Fiala. It seems Flyers are having a huge interest in him next season. And my other focus is to see which prospects will shine more this season Boldy, Rossi, Addison, Beckman and Novak. They all having a huge potential in my opinion. We need to develop a new Calder trophy candidate for the team out of available promising prospects.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alexandron said:

My focus is turning more towards Fiala. It seems Flyers are having a huge interest in him next season. And my other focus is to see which prospects will shine more this season Boldy, Rossi, Addison, Beckman and Novak. They all having a huge potential in my opinion. We need to develop a new Calder trophy candidate for the team out of available promising prospects.

Let's hope so. That would help a lot in this yet another Minnesota sports style calamity.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Trade him to wherever the hell he wants to play....he played half a season and thinks he's a free agent....

Yup. Giving the world for him would take a lot from the rest of the team, wrecking the room. Let him sit William Nylander style.

• Like 2