The Thrill: Wild vs Kaprizov... Who Flinches First?

Jimtown guy

14 hours ago, Alexandron said:

It seems Kirill likes fishing a lot according to his fishing trip to Siberia. We can provide the best fishing in Minnesota too at more than 10000.00 lakes here and the climate in Minnesota during the winter is near a Siberian one. 

Hell if that's what he wants he should come to Ontario....10,000 lakes...chicken feed. We have 400,000 lakes and rivers. And Northern Ontario is about as close to a Siberian climate as you can get. We don't even have roads in northern Ontario...how Siberian is that?!? :biggrin:

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Hell if that's what he wants he should come to Ontario....10,000 lakes...chicken feed. We have 400,000 lakes and rivers. And Northern Ontario is about as close to a Siberian climate as you can get. We don't even have roads in northern Ontario...how Siberian is that?!? :biggrin:

Well. He can do fishing there too (as a second option 😉), but we want him to play here which is so far still questionable. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Whatever it is, it's not polite not being available at all for the Calder Trophy thing 😑

Agree - it's weird actually...  His rookie season - blows the doors off the votes - nope, he's fishing - c'mon man...  He knew well in advance the date of this - and that he was a serious contender...  

I don't buy it boys and girls...

2 hours ago, Confrontational said:

Agree - it's weird actually...  His rookie season - blows the doors off the votes - nope, he's fishing - c'mon man...  He knew well in advance the date of this - and that he was a serious contender...  

I don't buy it boys and girls...

I agree with that part too but here is a nice article just came on Wednesday from the hockeywilderness.com site regarding his pre-recorded answers in case if he won the Calder. According to that article also he has an interest in short term signing first, but the Wild club wants him to sign to the long one (max.8 years):

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2021/6/30/22556645/kirill-kaprizov-calder-trophy-minnesota-wild-siberia-fishing

And another link from that source today is dedicated a Wild's award history:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2021/7/2/22560525/minnesota-wild-award-nhl-history-wes-walz-kirill-kaprizov

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 10:11 AM, Alexandron said:

And of course, the article  The Thrill contract negotiations which has not gone cold according to Guerin interview:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2021/7/4/22562952/minnesota-wild-kirill-kaprizov-contract-joel-eriksson-ek-cap-salary-kevin-fiala

I wouldn't expect him to say anything different.
Guerin needs to deal with Dumba...Trade him ASAP. He's had 2 *seasons to even show a glimps of his one partial good offensive season prior to injury.
Nothing...Nada since. Not worth the 6M imo. We need that $$ now for Fiala, Kap and a solid C.
If all else fails, Leave Dumba for Seattle to take him. I don't care if he somehow catches fire somewhere else.
I think it's barely 50-50 that the Kraken would even take him.

On 7/9/2021 at 11:11 AM, Alexandron said:

And of course, the article  The Thrill contract negotiations which has not gone cold according to Guerin interview:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2021/7/4/22562952/minnesota-wild-kirill-kaprizov-contract-joel-eriksson-ek-cap-salary-kevin-fiala

Wow this has gotten worse than i thought. Can they not come to terms maybe on a shorter deal then??

“My gut says they were offering around $9 million on an 8 year deal and probably $8.5 [million] or $8 [million] on a 7 year deal. Right now that has not only not been accepted but its been pretty much rejected from Kaprizov’s camp. So this is like one of the first negotiations I have ever covered where the team is throwing the world at a player that has played 55 games and he’s like ‘No I want a lot less money and a lot less term.'”

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I don't think he wants less $$, he just wants less term.  I think Minnesota is a good place to play, but if you want to be marketed in a high-profile manner (and I think that's what he wants) he will want to take his game to an even more prominent market (Toronto, New York, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Vegas, Tampa Bay, Chicago).  He knows the bidding war in 3 years when he becomes a UFA will be crazy and he'll make a mint.  

Minnesota doesn't want to let it come to that, so its going to ask that he stick around probably at least 5 years and that's why we're at kind of a holding pattern.  I don't think Guerin should just give in and give him a 3-year deal either.  Yet as soon as Kaprizov took off, you knew he had all the leverage in the world against an organization so desperate for a star talent.  

That was my gut feeling early on about Kaprisov. His stint with the Wild was basically an audition for the big markets. Installed even more when he proved (So far) the hype was real. Sadly, All signs point to a short deal in Minny. Off the top of my head, I'd say sign him 4 yr-max $$ and trade after 3. (To a team that he'd favor going to anyhow)
Get something solid for him for the post 11 and 20 era. 

Really tho, If we keep him for 3-4 years and keep Fiala and with the new kids coming in, We 'should' be able to make some sort of deep run in the PO's.
If after that time period then maybe it wasn't meant to be with Kaprisov and the Wild. Sure, Parise and Suter will be gone but Brodin and others will be past prime possibly.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

That was my gut feeling early on about Kaprisov. His stint with the Wild was basically an audition for the big markets. Installed even more when he proved (So far) the hype was real. Sadly, All signs point to a short deal in Minny. Off the top of my head, I'd say sign him 4 yr-max $$ and trade after 3. (To a team that he'd favor going to anyhow)
Get something solid for him for the post 11 and 20 era. 

Really tho, If we keep him for 3-4 years and keep Fiala and with the new kids coming in, We 'should' be able to make some sort of deep run in the PO's.
If after that time period then maybe it wasn't meant to be with Kaprisov and the Wild. Sure, Parise and Suter will be gone but Brodin and others will be past prime possibly.

I agree. To sign him whatever he wants. It took 5 years to bring him here by Guerin help. Even if he will be signed for 3 or 4 years, still the entire team will get out of him a very valuable experience. I am still thinking also, that he feels alone in our team because of his language barrier and different culture. Maybe he would feel better/ more comfortable to play if the team will have 3 or 4 Russian players in it, like Tampa has Kucherov, Sergachev, Vasilevskiy.  I remember on videos during these Stanley Cup playoffs Kucherov and Sergachev had always practicing together in pairs before each playoffs game for hours.  Maybe after 3 or 4 years Kaprizov will change his mind and will be willing to play longer in our team. And hopefully, the team will improve too during this term. I am sure that among our other 7 Russian prospects we can select 3-4 able to play for the big club and to make Kaprizov happy here in Minnesota. If they will play with him then they will be better prepared too. 

• Like 4

Kirill Kaprizov has apparently TURNED DOWN an 8 year contract with an AAV of $9 million. 

per Michael Russo he sees himself as a future $10-11 million player. 

So #Kaprizov played one NHL season and had 51 points in 55 games. That's not bad, but really? One season and you think you're worth $10-11M??

Granted the Sabres gave Jeff Skinner $9M after a 63point season (In 82 games) but look how that turned out.

Wtf is this kid thinking? 

He was offered $72 million. If he gets his wish, his contract would be $80 million - $88 million. Not feeling good about this 

Edited by Jimtown guy
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

I'm not worried yet.. his agent knows what a talent he has and they're playing hardball to get him the most they can over his whole career.. not just for one contract. BG has seemed competent so far in his GM skill and I can see them working something out that works for both sides. 

I think the main thing freaking people out is that he's Russian and we've seen Russians bolt to the KHL. Any young player with his skill from anywhere would be wanting to maximize the money they can make both now and later. It's up to the Wild if they think he's that guy to pay him and keep him happy by surrounding him with a winning culture.

Until the kid comes out and says he doesn't want to play here and demands a trade I have no reason to think this isn't just negotiation tactics. 

Edited by Gnarkill
  • Like 1

While Kaprizov has a lot of leverage in the sense the fanbase / franchise is desperate.  The Wild can also be like well if you're not going to come down our number then you can just sit.  It won't do you or us any good by not playing these next 3 seasons you have to wait until you become a UFA, but we're not giving you $9 million after you've played just one NHL season even if it did result in the Calder Trophy.  

There is no arbitration rights...so Guerin might as well stick to his guns and I wouldn't budge on that offer as I think its more than adequate give the small sample size to base it on.  

If that ends up making the Wild bad, you just saved a lot of money at a time where you need to.  You can focus on drafting and developing the young talent you have...and when he realizes he's gaining nothing by sitting out.  Then hopefully he's more amenable to a reasonable / sensible deal.  

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

10 hours ago, Icechipper said:

He now knows how the team deals with veterans on long term deals. 

I agree. Good point. If Kaprizov wants less term (4-5 years), then the club should sign him for this one or any term he wants. Still he will attract a lot of fans to this team because of his presence and also he will help to change the team's style towards more offensively winning mentality, which is having more success in a current professional hockey instead of defensively winning mentality (which we had previously for many years). And also in KHL, players usually do not sign for a long contracts. From my understanding , he wants even less money for this shorter term contract. Sadly to say, probably, he does not see in any nearest future a Stanley Cup with the Wild team, this is why he would like to have an option to win this trophy with the other club who is having more chances of doing that sooner.  And probably, he wants to repeat  in his career a Pavel Datsyuk achievement, who is single player able to become a Triple Gold Club member plus a Gagarin Cup winner as well. So far , Kaprizov is an Olympic Game and a Gagarin Cup winner.

After reading the article, some thoughts came up regarding Vladimir Tarasenko(29 y.o.). It seems he will be available this off season. Probably, it would be nice to pair him with Kaprizov as well as to include into that line Zuccarello too. Tarasenko will not have a language barrier with Kaprizov as well as he has a superb recent playoffs experience, who helped to bring St.Louis team to a Stanley Cup win in 2018-2019.

Here is a link to read the article:

https://eprinkside.com/2021/07/08/profiling-vladimir-tarasenko-as-a-trade-target

4 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Sadly to say, probably, he does not see in any nearest future a Stanley Cup with the Wild team, this is why he would like to have an option to win this trophy with the other club who is having more chances of doing that sooner. 

Winning has a chance to change his mind. That is the Wild need to worry about. Get him signed to a deal even it is a short one and win. Winning i am sure is all he wants.

Then at some point in the contract i think you can re evaluate the situation and go from there he may change his mind or maybe he doesn't and you trade him for a nice return.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Winning has a chance to change his mind. That is the Wild need to worry about. Get him signed to a deal even it is a short one and win. Winning i am sure is all he wants.

Then at some point in the contract i think you can re evaluate the situation and go from there he may change his mind or maybe he doesn't and you trade him for a nice return.

Totally agree.😉.

• Like 2

To hell with Vladimir Tarasenko.  No no no...this is about Kaprizov.  IMO, you hold out...and trust me pressure will build on #97 to compromise because he's not going to raise his asking price if he's not playing in the #NHL.  

He wants to bet on himself...take a 5-6 year deal.  He'll still end up being a UFA around 30.  But you can't give in and give him a 3-year deal.  We won't be able to give him really any help for the next 4 years most likely.  As far as Tarasenko goes...let him rot and become someone else's problem.  I feel confident Guerin will keep his eye on the prize.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

While Kaprizov has a lot of leverage in the sense the fanbase / franchise is desperate.  The Wild can also be like well if you're not going to come down our number then you can just sit.  It won't do you or us any good by not playing these next 3 seasons you have to wait until you become a UFA, but we're not giving you $9 million after you've played just one NHL season even if it did result in the Calder Trophy.  

There is no arbitration rights...so Guerin might as well stick to his guns and I wouldn't budge on that offer as I think its more than adequate give the small sample size to base it on.  

If that ends up making the Wild bad, you just saved a lot of money at a time where you need to.  You can focus on drafting and developing the young talent you have...and when he realizes he's gaining nothing by sitting out.  Then hopefully he's more amenable to a reasonable / sensible deal.  

Love to see the wild play hard ball with him but I doubt it would happen. 

• Like 1

It has to be hard ball. No way a three year deal, nor a mega-deal like McDavid. He hasn't proven he can be a major gamebreaker in the playoffs. Guerin needs to keep going like he has. And definitely no Tarasenko - too risky, he hasn't been himself after his surgery.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

It has to be hard ball. No way a three year deal, nor a mega-deal like McDavid. He hasn't proven he can be a major gamebreaker in the playoffs. Guerin needs to keep going like he has. And definitely no Tarasenko - too risky, he hasn't been himself after his surgery.

Tarasenko pass. 5 or 6 year deal like crease and assist brought up would be fine any thing shorter term nope. there's always mother Russia. 

Personally, I'd even be OK with a 4 year deal, though longer would be better. 55 games is indeed a small sample size, but there are run-of-the-mill Calder winners, then there are Calder winners who have legit superstar written all over them. Kaprisov's performance puts him in the latter category IMO. If the Wild blow this one, they might have to wait a decade or more before they get another chance to take a swing at playing hardball.

If Kap is good with less money for a shorter term, I say pull the trigger and do it. If guys like Fiala, EEk, Brodin and others continue  their upward trends, prospects like Boldy plus a Russian or two join the supporting cast, and the team is finally free of the salary cap  handcuffs 4 years from now, Kaprisov may very well decide that his best chance at getting the big trophy is to re-up right here in Minnesota.

If I'm the Wild organization, I'd be making arrangements right now to plaster #97 on every marketing tool under the sun, hiring an artist to paint a massive mural or billboard at the X where Kap can't miss it any time he comes to work, and doing whatever it takes to convince him that being the face of the franchise here would be just as lucrative - and a helluva lot more fun - than being just another face on a NY or LA roster. And besides, the fishing is better in MN than NY or LA.

Eureka! I smell a bidding war coming for fishing boat endorsement contracts. The Wild marketing department and Kap's agent can thank me later. 🤑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1