The NHL's Regular Season is BROKEN.

WordsOfWisdom

A solution to a lot of this would be something akin to the relegation system employed in the English Premier League.

It would never happen because the Powers That Be in Tronno would never allow the Leafs to get relegated - even if it meant the Marlies won the Cup.

Especially if it meant the Marlies won the Cup?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

On 6/9/2021 at 7:49 AM, ruxpin said:

With winning percentage, teams don't get an artificial point for not winning.    And the standings reflect -- at all times -- who actually has the best record at any given time.

When the league announced they were doing away with ties, and that every game would have a winner, I thought "Lovely, now they can ditch the point system and just use win percentage. Little did I know that Uncle Gary was using it, at least in part, to help create the illusion of more parity.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

5 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

When the league announced they were doing away with ties, and that every game would have a winner, I thought "Lovely, now they can ditch the point system and just use win percentage. Little did I know that Uncle Gary was using it, at least in part, to help create the illusion of more parity.

I think the point system is one of those things that makes hockey unique.  Ties should make a comeback as well.  The ties and points system are a nod to the European heritage in the league (Canada --> Britain, etc.)  Americans specifically, are accustomed to just wins and losses. 

I'm hoping the league fixes its points system back to 2-0-1 (W-L-T) like it was before and keeps it indefinitely. No sports league should ever surrender one of its unique attributes to be more like another sports league. Always keep your uniqueness. 

Baseball opened the game up to interleague play to be more like the NHL and NBA. Big mistake. The AL/NL separation is what made MLB cool and different. It added a mystique to the game that only fans of my generation and older will ever know. Simply put: If you're not of a particular age, then you don't know what it's like to watch a sport where the other 50% of the players you can only see in the World Series or the all-star game. They were mysterious. You knew about them but you couldn't see them. You didn't know how good they were until your team played them.  MLB killed both attractions in one fell swoop with that ONE bad move.  

:)