Jump to content

2021 Semi Finals Round : New York Islanders vs Tampa Bay Lightning (TBL Win 4-3)


Do The Lightning Defend What is Theirs? Or Do The Islanders Take What is Theirs?  

11 members have voted

  1. 1. Do The Lightning Defend What is Theirs? Or Do The Islanders Take What is Theirs?

    • Isles Exact Flawless Vengeance in 4
      0
    • Isles Show They Learned Much And Are Now in Charge in 5
      0
    • Isles Go Toe to Toe With The Champs...Come Out On Top in 6
    • Isles Take The Champs To The Limit, Then Beat Them in 7
    • Bolts Laugh at the Isles Puny Efforts in 4
      0
    • Bolts Not Ready To Give NY Their Due in 5
      0
    • Bolts Get Tested a Bit, But Still Prove Too Much for NY in 6
    • Bolts Trade Goals, Hits, Irritants, and Highlight Reels With NY...and Move on in 7


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

 

A bit late to the party with the "TB is cheating with the cap" spiel, aren't ya? 😆

Ya i am but it still is true and should not be allowed the nhl needs to change this ,they should just give them the cup ,it,s a joke.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bad beat for the Isles...hard to test Vasilesky if you don't have the puck. Credit TB they played their game and clamped down the neutral zone tonight. Sucks losing on a shorty and by Yanni Gourde of all people...ha! The champs were the better team tonight and they were the better team in the series. Congratulations Tampa Bay...at least Reggie's record is still INTACT!

Honestly, these are two entirely different statements:   "It's not fair." "Tampa is cheating."   No one is saying the second but this is what defenders instantly jump to.   The current rules allow for this. This kind of manipulation was hard coded into the rules.   And Tampa is well within the rules, which are bad.   It's not the first time and won't be the last time that hockey organizations or individual hockey players have used poorly conceived and

Posted Images

2 hours ago, musky said:

Ya i am but it still is true and should not be allowed the nhl needs to change this ,they should just give them the cup ,it,s a joke.

 

Meanwhile, your boys lead the series.

Should really have more faith in them.
This series will be decided on the ice....not on some bureaucrat's table.

Looking forward to seeing what adjustments the Bolts will make against that Islander defense...... Isles' can't possibly play near perfection again, can they? ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If thats the case we should get to add 2, 6 million dollars players to our team,ther,s a reason why tampa bay won it last year and a fair bet would be this year too.There stacked and abusing the nhl rules and this should be changed in the off season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that is a possible solution for the Flyers future success - to look for the 2 supreme goaltenders, which are capable to bring the team to the playoffs and to the finals as well. And Wild team needs in them too. This playoffs season is an example in Islanders team. The other teams are depending mostly on one outstanding goaltender. Like Vegas depends on Fleury. Their other goalie Lehner definitely is not as good.

 

I think this playoffs season Tampa Lightning team is going to prove themselves that they are a real Stanley Cup team  when playoffs arena is practically full of fans. Last entire playoffs season they played without fans in Canada, which is giving a different feelings in play. Probably, it is their goal to win a cup again with this full of real fans environment. 🤔

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have been no call incidental contact since he was shoved/pushed into the goalie.

 

 

What was he suppose to do??? Why not shove him if you're rewarded a power play...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Tampa's win, which  created some Islanders madness at the end of the game. Maybe Sorokin would be better for the Islanders if stayed till the end, but not replaced back by Varlamov? Not very common situation to see during playoffs in replacing goalies back and forth.

Link to post
Share on other sites

During playoffs lots of referees mistakes are ignored. Like Pelech evidently was pushing Point on a high speed into the Varlamov's head, which developed highly intense physical situation around his net and necessity for Varlamov to pass concussion protocol. 

I have feelings that the next games in Islanders arena will be much more physical, much more dirty. And it seems Lightning team mentally is ready for it and is capable to withstand that play so far.  The best team out of two must to place more goals to win despite all the difficulties of dirty play and referees mistakes during Stanley Cup playoffs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Should have been no call incidental contact since he was shoved/pushed into the goalie.

 

 

What was he suppose to do??? Why not shove him if you're rewarded a power play...

 

Yes...and not only did the Islanders get a PP out of this, but they scored on it.
Well, as karma would have it (or the refs playing "make up"), the Lightning scored a goal where, as you will see Isles fans QUICKLY point out, they had too many men on the ice.

Refs didn't call that, Barry Trotz lost what little hair he had left, but the bottom line was, I considered that evened out and squared (TB too many men plus goal, for the Islanders pushing Point into their own goalie and then getting a PP and goal).... so there we are.

Dumb officiating all around aside, I consider the matter closed as both teams got  undeserved PP's and goals.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

During playoffs lots of referees mistakes are ignored. Like Pelech evidently was pushing Point on a high speed into the Varlamov's head, which developed highly intense physical situation around his net and necessity for Varlamov to pass concussion protocol. 

I have feelings that the next games in Islanders arena will be much more physical, much more dirty. And it seems Lightning team mentally is ready for it and is capable to withstand that play so far.  The best team out of two must to place more goals to win despite all the difficulties of dirty play and referees mistakes during Stanley Cup playoffs.

 

Tampa Bay did what they needed to:
Step up the tempo and FINALLY, got some goals from the defense (Jan Rutta and Victor Hedman), which is VERY important part of the team's attack plan!

Best of five indeed!

Interesting to see who Barry Trotz turns to next in Game 3.... Back to Varlamov or go to Sorokin.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021 Semi Finals Round : New York Islanders vs Tampa Bay Lightning (Series Tied 1-1)
4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

 

Tampa Bay did what they needed to:
Step up the tempo and FINALLY, got some goals from the defense (Jan Rutta and Victor Hedman), which is VERY important part of the team's attack plan!

Best of five indeed!

Interesting to see who Barry Trotz turns to next in Game 3.... Back to Varlamov or go to Sorokin.

Agree. Production from the defense is extremely important too for these games level.

Probably, he will go to Sorokin, because Varlamov was traumatized at least twice from his own players last night. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

TB played their game last night, the one that got them to this point. That was the "real" TB Lightning. But I still like NY to win the series. I don't believe TB can play much better than they did last night, not against the Islanders who can match their speed, toughness and talent (almost). The Isles don't have PO/Cup-winning experience and that's a big plus for the Lightning. But the Isles have been rising all season...I think they're ready for this.

 

They looked a bit surprised in the opening shifts how much faster TB was all over the ice. The Isles were a half-step behind all night. Credit TB for pushing them, hurrying them into mistakes, mismanaging the puck, etc. The Isles know they can play much better and I expect they will in G3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

TB played their game last night, the one that got them to this point. That was the "real" TB Lightning. But I still like NY to win the series. I don't believe TB can play much better than they did last night, not against the Islanders who can match their speed, toughness and talent (almost). The Isles don't have PO/Cup-winning experience and that's a big plus for the Lightning. But the Isles have been rising all season...I think they're ready for this.

 

They looked a bit surprised in the opening shifts how much faster TB was all over the ice. The Isles were a half-step behind all night. Credit TB for pushing them, hurrying them into mistakes, mismanaging the puck, etc. The Isles know they can play much better and I expect they will in G3.

 

If the previous series are any indication, Nassau Coliseum should definitely ba a-rockin when the Bolts arrive there.
Now.....normally you'd think that would unquestionably favor the home team, right?

Perhaps. But the Lightning have shown themselves to be true road warriors...in fact, seemingly playing better in hostile environments than they do in the friendly confines of their home Amalie Arena!

So, once again, it will come down to who dictates their game.

As for the Bolts "not being able to play much better", I disagree. I think they absolutely can!
Up until yesterday, there had been no goals from TB defenseman....and all season, that has been a staple of their offense.

I think Hedman can be even more involved in the offense, I think Mikhail Sergachev can be more involved in the offense, and a guy like Ryan McDonagh, NOT known for his offense, is still pretty good at putting shots just so, so the forwards can find and bury rebounds or hit deflections.
He needs to be involved more on the offense. 

Also, guys like Stamkos, Killorn, Cirelli, and Yanni Gourde have been relatively quiet this series so far.
They could also step it up a notch.

I don't think the Islanders have seen yet the full measure of what the Lightning can do.

And so far, Semyon Varlamov (and for the short time he was in, Ilya Sorokin), have been pretty good in stealing away TB chances..... they will need to keep playing that near perfect game to continue to do so.

While I can appreciate the precision and tenacity the Islanders play their game at, it has also been proven by past opponents that once you "crack through", they too can be made to scramble around their own end just like any other team looking to stave off wave after wave of Bolts attackers.

Two guys on the Islanders though, I am wary of because they haven't done a ton to this point, and I know they can:

JG Pageau (especially short handed) and Brock Nelson who had been terrific all season for the Islanders, and has been put on the back burner by TB to this point.
If those two guys get going again, it certainly could open things up for others like Kyle Palmieri, Anthony Beauvillier, Josh Bailey, and even Jordan Eberle who was last seen on a milk carton...

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Brock Nelson who had been terrific all season for the Islanders, and has been put on the back burner by TB

 

yeah he only scored once last night... if that's "back burner" I think the Isles will be happy with that! 3 goals in R1, 3 vs the Bruins and he's got 1 so far in R3.

 

20 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

they too can be made to scramble around their own end

 

yep, zactly what happened to them last night. The Isles were caught bit flat-footed in the opening 10 minutes and it's almost understandable, the Bolts' game was like night n day from G1.

 

22 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I don't think the Islanders have seen yet the full measure of what the Lightning can do.

 

We'll see...I think the Bolts were at the best they'll be this series...unless the Isles repeat G2's mistake and allow TB to get an early head of steam. Once TB is rolling with a lead they're a very hard team to overtake. 

 

Whatever happens the games are a lot of fun to watch! Sure hope my Flyers are watching...see how it's supposed to be done.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to give the Bolts the edge for one reason so far.

 

A healthy Stamkos....they won the Cup last without that.

 

I think he will be the difference maker.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@TropicalFruitGirl26

 

of course I may be deluding myself…if TB does raise their game yet another level the series could be over in 5. I think the Isles have enough fight esp at home to prevent that but I can’t pretend TB has played their absolute best yet. I know I said they did but I reread you post and the point you make about some of Tampa’s big guns gone quiet, or just awakening now in the case of Herdman, is a good one. The Isles have a couple as well, as you noted… looking forward to G3!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021 Semi Finals Round : New York Islanders vs Tampa Bay Lightning (TBL Lead 2-1)

Did I say whichever team dictates their style will win the game?

Then the Lightning go out there, and effectively play a very Islander-like grinding style game where they do just enough to score, then shut the door late in the game and skate away with the low 2-1 victory.

And this may very well have been a 2-0 shut out if it weren't for Erik Cernak's brainfart in trying to shovel a loose puck TOWARDS Andrei Vasilevskiy with a bunch of Islanders on his porch, which eventually gets pushed into the net by Cal Clutterbuck.
Even a lowly spectator such as myself saw easily that ol Drago should have shot the puck off the boards somewhere, thrown it into the corner, hell, even grabbed and iced it if need be..............NOT push it within reach of Vasy AND about 3 Islander players at point blank range!

Anyways, Tampa Bay comes up with the win, Brayden Point continues to be a playoff monster, the defense of the Bolts did, in fact, become more involved in the offense (including the aforementioned Erik Cernak who took some shots in attempts to help generate Lightning offense), and now hold a 2-1 series lead.

That raucous, lively, hostile crowd the Bolts had to play against?
Nullified for the most part.

Lightning road warrior mentality > Nassau home crowd chanting..... at least for this game.

I STILL would like to see the Lightning play more of their up tempo style, but apparently they are just as comfortable playing (and beating) the Islanders at their own game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya the TB Team D has been outstanding - when I wrote about them finding another level I expected goal-scoring but the Bolts took their defensive game up a notch instead. 5 goals in 3 games is not going to cut it for the Isles (tho TB only has 7).

 

I thought NY controlled most of the game, certainly the 2nd and 3rd...it didn't do them any good on the scoreboard but the Isles can take heart that they're RightThere...It's such a cliché but every game really has come down to inches - one goes the other way and NY is up 2-1...or TB is up 3-0. I didn't expect blowouts but all 3 games such low-scoring affairs is a little surprising.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021 Semi Finals Round : New York Islanders vs Tampa Bay Lightning (Series Tied 2-2)

Pulock robbing McDonagh in the last 2 seconds ranks way up there on the list of wild and crazy finishes. If you missed the game find the highlight reel it's worth it.


How about Brayden Point goals in 7 straight....will he catch Leach (10) I hope not if he does it means TB is probably advancing and I'm rooting for NY.


Calling Hedman for tripping with a minute and half left in the game was ... terrible, a real horseshitcall. Sutherland or the other ref, whoever called that should donate his pay to charity. They were pretty good the rest of the way I hope they know that call was a mistake.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Paging Steven Stamkos i was thinking finally having a healthy Stamkos for a change would make a huge impact but it hasn't been the case...if the Bolts want to win this series they are going to need more from their Captain. One assist in 4 games is not getting it done.

 

Maybe after this playoff run with their cap issues ahead maybe it is time they move on from their Captain.

 

2 more years and 8.5 mill would be enticing to a club out there that is close. Just saying...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2021 at 10:42 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Paging Steven Stamkos i was thinking finally having a healthy Stamkos for a change would make a huge impact but it hasn't been the case...if the Bolts want to win this series they are going to need more from their Captain. One assist in 4 games is not getting it done.

 

Maybe after this playoff run with their cap issues ahead maybe it is time they move on from their Captain.

 

2 more years and 8.5 mill would be enticing to a club out there that is close. Just saying...

 

Stammer got the page.
Just needed his PDA fixed.

2 goals tonight so far in a 4-0 game in the 2nd.....looking for the Hattie!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Good Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2021 at 11:12 PM, Alexandron said:

Good Tampa's win, which  created some Islanders madness at the end of the game. Maybe Sorokin would be better for the Islanders if stayed till the end, but not replaced back by Varlamov? Not very common situation to see during playoffs in replacing goalies back and forth.

It was quite common in Philly for the past 30 years…

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...