Jack Eichel's Destination? Trade Talks Allegedly Getting "Intense" Between Sabres and Other GMs

Where Will Jack Eichel Be Playing Next Season?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Where Will Jack Eichel Be Playing Next Season?

• Los Angeles: Jack Goes Hollywood and joins Anze Kopitar
    • Anaheim: Eichel Goes and Helps the Rebuild There
    • Minnesota: Eichel Becomes That "Much Needed Center" For The Wild
    • Columbus: Goes in for a Rebuild ala Anaheim
    • NY Rangers: The Eichel Star is Added to the Budding Stars in Manhattan
    • Philadelphia: Flyers Go 'All In' for Eichel Feeling They are Ready to Contend NOW
    • Someplace Not Listed

Eichel.jpg.1c654cc50cdb266583f1d536cddcf929.jpg

From Pierre LeBrun via MSN sports:
Trade talks for Sabres captain Jack Eichel reportedly heating up (msn.com)

Listed as some of the teams that really would like to acquire him:
Kings
Ducks
Wild
Rangers
Flyers
Blue Jackets

Though by no means would this be a complete list.

High end player (some might even say 'high maintenance') with some current injury issues, but, when healthy COULD potentially give a team an immediate, legit top line.
Eichel himself seems very open to the idea of playing for another team besides the Sabres, but in this  cap world the NHL lives in, it will likely come down to who has the space, the assets, or picks to get this done.

Also, would the Sabres be dealing from a position of desperation (teams KNOW he needs to be traded, so what they give up wouldn't be as much), or can the Sabres effectively start a bidding war, giving them more control over the situation, driving up the price for those who want Eichel, and effectively getting every bit they should for him?

NOTE: ***This thread is NOT intended as a platform for flaming. Posts will be removed for those people who can't seem to be mature enough to talk about a player without flaming and instigating.
This is a legit storyline in the NHL right now, involving a star player who could make or break the fortunes of whomever he ends up playing for, as well as the team he leaves behind based on the return they get.

So.....who gets Jack Eichel?
Will this take all off season?
Will this trade take place at the draft?

44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I got him headed home to Bean town....

This is where I'd be tempted to use FD's package from the other thread.

With both their goalies leaving, Boston wouldn't need to get rid of much to accommodate Eichel's cap hit. I don't think they resign Hall at that point, for several reasons.

Toronto will free up the cap space to add yet another scoring forward to its mixture of one-dimensional hockey.  ;) 

Going back to Buffalo would be Jack Campbell, Morgan Rielly, Jake Muzzin, Jason Spezza, Alex Kerfoot, and Toronto's #1 draft pick for the next five years.

Boston would not shock me...they have the cap space and some solid propects in the system, but no thanks.

Not (imo) worth the headache and price they'd have to pay.

Not to mention a player with a damaged neck...again, no thanks.

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

This is where I'd be tempted to use FD's package from the other thread.

With both their goalies leaving, Boston wouldn't need to get rid of much to accommodate Eichel's cap hit. I don't think they resign Hall at that point, for several reasons.

Yeah 355 points in 375 games IN Buffalo is impressive.

It will take a lot to pry him out of Buffalo.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1

Because the Sabres refused to allow Eichel to have surgery on his neck because he’s “their property” won’t the team trading for him be rolling the dice?  The new team has to hope that the Sabres physical therapy plan for Eichel worked or they traded for an injured player. 

I want him anywhere but Philly! 

I want the Flyers to get Sam Reinhart from the Sabres 

Edited by Samifan

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

This would be interesting, too.   And wouldn't take quite as much.

soft player, think voracek part deux but not quite as much offense

6 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

soft player, think voracek part deux but not quite as much offense

That's my take on him, but just via fantasy.   It's not like I'm the one who watches Sabres' games.

IMO, the above describes the whole stinking cesspool of a roster.

But I'd think about him if the package wasn't steep (and it arguably should be steep)

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

I honestly have NO CLUE where Eichel may end up (or as @yave1964 already said....he just may STAY a Sabre), but I voted NY Rangers for a few reasons:

--- Rangers will apparently have the cap space to accommodate a 10M hit after players STILL on their books get payouts drastically reduced and another player or two are moved out in this deal.
For those wondering, the Rangers are still paying Kevin Shattenkirk and Henrik Lundqvist big money to not play for them....but those payouts go down significantly next season.
Also Dan Girardi (yes, Dan Freakin Girardi) is still on their books, but at a relatively low rate, and Ryan Spooner comes off their books next season.

--- Rangers appear to have the parts to make a package for Eichel.... I am thinking something along the lines of offering up their 1st and maybe roster players such as Filip Chytil and Brett Howden (Chytil seems to have upside as top six center or winger, while Howden is more of defensive type center, maybe top 9), and also offering up Buffalo a goalie, such as Alexander Georgiev.
Or if Chytil/Howden doesn't get it done with forwards, perhaps Chytil/Strome would, along with Georgiev..... or maybe even Chytil/Howden/Strome plus a first, if the Sabres don't want Georgiev.

Then of course, the Rangers have a few young defensemen they could part with if Buffalo prefers that over all forwards.
K'Andre Miller? Libor Hajek? Ryan Lindgren? Maybe Adam Fox would have to go in a deal like that?
Would the Sabres take on troubled defenseman Tony DeAngelo?

---Rangers have never been afraid of making a splash.
Eichel and Zibanejad as their top six centers, along with wingers Panarin, Buchnevich, Kreider, and Lafreniere alongside them?
That could look pretty good for them.....

---Eichel may push for such a trade (let's face it...he IS the GM of the Sabres after all :ph34r: ), because he wouldn't have to uproot too far going from Buffalo, NY to NYC, unless he wanted to do that.
Also, from his point of view, his season road travel schedule would be much lighter playing in the close proximity Metro division and the teams within.

The big fly in this particular ointment, at least from the Sabres point of view, is that they may prefer Eichel to be playing somewhere out West, rather than run the risk of him being a perpetual thorn in their side trading him to another Eastern team.

Then again, if they REALLY are sharp about who and what they ask for, the return should more than offset whatever Eichel may do for a Conference rival.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

The big fly in this particular ointment, at least from the Sabres point of view, is that they may prefer Eichel to be playing somewhere out West, rather than run the risk of him being a perpetual thorn in their side trading him to another Eastern team.

The Boomerang Law of professional hockey states that:

"The farther you trade a player away, the sooner and the closer he will get bounced back."

Edited by WordsOfWisdom
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Listed as some of the teams that really would like to acquire him:
Kings
Ducks
Wild
Rangers
Flyers
Blue Jackets

Probability per team:

• Kings: 15%
  • Ducks: 5%
  • Wild: 0%
  • Rangers: 40%
  • Flyers: 40%
  • Blue Jackets: 0%

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Boomerang Law of professional hockey states that:

"The farther you trade a player away, the sooner and the closer he will get bounced back."

I don't know if I believe in Boomerang Laws, but personally, I always did feel excluding a team as a trade partner within a Conference (or even division) was a bit silly, only because, like I said, if the team trading away the "big asset" is smart about what they get in return, it shouldn't be a problem no matter what the player traded away does.

Also, yes, with all this East team trades to West team and vice versa, who is to say some Western team doesn't flip Eichel back to an East team if the East team, spurned by the Sabres before, makes that Western team an offer they can't refuse?

I mean, if the Sabres really are worried about where Jack Eichel plays in relation to themselves, then I would think Boston would be absolutely out of the question being in the same Atlantic division.

If I am a GM (and well, there are probably reasons why I am NOT, and instead just another talking head on a message board :bigteeth: ), I trade to whomever gives me the best return, to whomever can help cure what ails me faster....no matter what division that other team is in.

• Like 1

Apparently the Ducks are now the favourite. Elliot Friedman mentored that the Ducks have included Trevor Zegras, Jamie Drysdale and the 3rd overall pick into the discussion.  Something tells me they're angling for Eichel, Reinhart and probably Ristolainen. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16

18 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Apparently the Ducks are now the favourite. Elliot Friedman mentored that the Ducks have included Trevor Zegras, Jamie Drysdale and the 3rd overall pick into the discussion.  Something tells me they're angling for Eichel, Reinhart and probably Ristolainen. 

Good Flyers don't need to give up all that I have seen for one player.

See how that is working for the Oilers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Good Flyers don't need to give up all that I have seen for one player.

See how that is working for the Oilers.

See how that's worked for BUFFALO?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I don't know if I believe in Boomerang Laws, but personally, I always did feel excluding a team as a trade partner within a Conference (or even division) was a bit silly, only because, like I said, if the team trading away the "big asset" is smart about what they get in return, it shouldn't be a problem no matter what the player traded away does.

Bingo!  If the trade is a GOOD trade, why would Buffalo care if Eichel went to a division rival?  If you want to keep Eichel, you keep him.  If you feel you're stronger without him, then you should want him to go to your closest rival.  (Reverse psychology.)

However, what will likely happen is the Sabres will make a bad deal to move Eichel to the other conference (let's say he gets flipped to LA). He'll play one season (or less) in LA and then get flipped at the trade deadline (when the Kings are down and out) to go to the Panthers, Red Wings, or Bruins.  I guarantee you he'll be back in the East within a year, and the only thing that can stop him from being in the same division again is the Flyers or Rangers. The Flyers want him badly. The Rangers don't really want anyone but everyone wants to play in New York for the Rangers, so they tend to get everyone. 

:) 

• 1 month later...