2021 Wild Draft

EmptyShelf

5 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

A goalie as a first round pick? Even traded up to get him. That's intriguing, but I guess they know what they are doing.

I liked that Lambos clip. Didn't really see him shooting, but apparently he has a good shot. I liked his ability to keep the offense going. Looked a little bit small in the defensive zone. I agree on the Suter comparison, but on the mental side of things, I'd say Lambos is probably a very good person in the locker room. To go play hockey in the midst of a pandemic in Jyväskylä, and find out it's a small nothing town in the middle of nothing but lakes and trees, no one to talk to, and nothing to do but play hockey, at first in the juniors, and still keep producing a point per game. He even paid for his own flight tickets. There's a good head on his shoulders.

You were reading my mind. I have same opinion on both 1st round picks - intrigued to have them. Probably Kahkonen and Wallstedt can develop a nice future tandem. And Addison and Lambos as well.

• Like 1

Never seen either player. A takeaway from both beautifully vague scouting reports: "He's a good skater." That's always a good place to start, as we might well already have two of the best skaters in the league in Brodin and Kaprisov. Nice taking a kid from Winnipeg's backyard too!🏒

Edited by Icechipper
Add. Wpg.
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Never seen either player. A takeaway from both beautifully vague scouting reports: "He's a good skater." That's always a good place to start, as we might well already have two of the best skaters in the league in Brodin and Kaprisov. Nice taking a kid from Winnipeg's backyard too!🏒

I can be more specific about his skating.  He has good lateral movement, and scouts feel his skating is technically solid.  Good power transfer, good on his edges and can change direction quickly and efficiently.  So he sounds reasonably mobile.  

• Like 1

Yea, its easier to be bullish about the Top 3 picks in this draft for the Wild.  Wallstedt certainly has some home run potential.  His development curve to being NHL-ready might be shorter since he's already been a top performer in Sweden's top league too.  Dealing just a 3rd round pick to move up for that selection was very economical to get a player that could be franchise cornerstone. 

Lambos was another player whom we selected at a point later than when many thought he'd be taken.  I wasn't focusing on him too much so I'm still kind of on the fence on him.  Peart looks like a terrific selection and I really like his NHL potential.  You don't have to watch long to see how smart he is on the ice.  If he can continue to improve his mobility (which isn't bad already) then his value goes even higher as he does so many things very well.  

The later picks other than Benoit, didn't impress me.    

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 11:10 PM, TallyTigerShark said:

Wild take the Carson Lambos at #26. I’ll trust BG but I’m lukewarm on this pick. He was best player available on ESPN’s board but I’ve seen others rank him as low as 27th. That tells you it isn’t a bad pick at 26 but he’s coming off a medical procedure and a season where he didn’t play much. I would have been happier taking Pinelli, Chibrkov, Stankoven or Olausson but who the hell am I to argue with BG?? 😂

Lambos is a great pick. Would have been rated much higher but got injured. He's a very good all around dman. 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 11:52 PM, lynxrattle said:

A goalie as a first round pick? Even traded up to get him. That's intriguing, but I guess they know what they are doing.

I liked that Lambos clip. Didn't really see him shooting, but apparently he has a good shot. I liked his ability to keep the offense going. Looked a little bit small in the defensive zone. I agree on the Suter comparison, but on the mental side of things, I'd say Lambos is probably a very good person in the locker room. To go play hockey in the midst of a pandemic in Jyväskylä, and find out it's a small nothing town in the middle of nothing but lakes and trees, no one to talk to, and nothing to do but play hockey, at first in the juniors, and still keep producing a point per game. He even paid for his own flight tickets. There's a good head on his shoulders.

Rush_defence-1617383642-1024.png

Quite a nice looking picture about Lambos's rush defence! I took it from here:

https://fi.eprinkside.com/2021/04/07/yhdeksan-huomiota-u20-sm-sarjasta-keratysta-datasta-pidan-hanta-talla-hetkella-selkeasti-aliarvostettuna-pelaajana-julkisessa-keskustelussa

I would like to add also - Eliteprospects wrote about his nice possible pluses for our team:

"Lambos is a potent shooter with the skill and instincts to manipulate defenders and improve his shooting location. With and without the puck, he activates from the point, becoming a passing option and a scoring threat. He fakes shots and passes, waits for the defender to commit, then bursts into the space he created. Constant head fakes add another layer of deception. -EliteProspects 2021 NHL".

This draft season we focused more on looking for the best available goaltender prospect; few defensemen and a center in comparison to previous years, when we looked mainly for highly scoring forwards - prospects and we have plenty of them already to select from. 

Just looked on highlights of round 3; #86 overall center 2021 draft Caedan Bankier. It seems he has a nice game vision; good skilled playmaker. Some links already propising him as a center for a future 3B line Boldy - Bankier - Beckman.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I don't think Boldy will be a 3rd liner for us.  IMO, Bankier is a long shot to make it to the NHL.  

LIG. No a 3rd liner, but meaning was a line where all players last names starting with a letter "B" - Boldy - Bankier - Beckman. Three "B" line, probably it is going to be a nice future at least 2nd line for the Wild team.  🤔  That was my proposing to name it 3"B" line.🙂.

• Like 1

Let's actually have the players develop before we start giving them cute line names etc.  I heard that Lulea's normal starter is returning to the team after playing in the #KHL.  Some think that will have an effect on Jesper Wallstedt's playing time.  Some have suggested that might mean Wallstedt comes over to play for Portland of the WHL because they have his rights.  I can't imagine he'd go from playing men in a top-circuit European league like the SHL to now play major junior.  My guess is the team either hopes he is traded to another SHL team or maybe he goes to play for another team in another European league like the NLA or something like that before he'd come to play Canadian Major Junior.  

If you have a subscription to The Athletic, Scott Burnside’s article where he shadowed BG for the four days leading up to and including the draft is a great read. Some real insight into what goes on behind the scenes. I found the talk about Eichol interesting. I’m sure BG wants him, but I also feel very confident after reading that the plan is to build a successful franchise for the long haul with a good foundation. 

Edited by TallyTigerShark

Speaking of the Athletic.  Wheeler didn't seem to think the Wild did all that great on Day 2 of the draft beyond Peart.  i have to say, I agree 100% with him.  

I did read Burnside's long article.  It was interesting to get at least a somewhat edited view of the behind the scenes at the Wild's front office.