2021 Stanley Cup Finals : Montreal Canadiens vs Tampa Bay Lightning (TBL Win 4-1)

And the NHL Stanley Cup Champion is................?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. And the NHL Stanley Cup Champion is................?

• Canadiens Roll Through the Lightning in 4
    • Canadiens Show They Are a Team of Destiny in 5
    • Canadiens Scratch, Claw, and Pummel Their Way to Victory in 6
    • Canadiens Take the Bolts to the Distance and Beat Them in 7
    • Lightning Strike Down the Canadiens Easily in 4
    • Lightning Have 1 Miscue, but Sail Through in 5
    • Lightning Take What the Canadiens Dish Out...Still Beat Them in 6
    • Lightning Refuse to Give Up Their Title, Go All The Way and Win, in 7

Big Rig Maroon ties the game late, game heads into OT...but Shea Weber will have to sit and watch as his team will have to kill off 3 minutes left on the TB PP.

Is this how Montreal's season ends?
With their captain sitting in the penalty box because he high sticked Ondrej Palat?

We will see....

2 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Thought for sure when Weber got his double minor this thing was over but the Habs kill it and pull it off. More hockey is always a good thing 

Lightning spent too much time back passing and passing East-West instead of North-South.
Time wasted that could have been used entering and setting up in the zone.

They allowed the Montreal PK'ers to dictate the pace.

I will give the Canadiens credit, they gutted this one out, but I think the Lightning salivated a bit too much with the 4 minutes and wasted away precious time.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021 Stanley Cup Finals : Montreal Canadiens vs Tampa Bay Lightning (TBL Lead 3-1)
12 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

the Lightning salivated a bit too much with the 4 minutes and wasted away precious time.

To imagine this on Wimbledon Centre Court…the fireflies had match point on their own serve and failed to convert.  Many a match has had cicadas come back to win afterwards!

Well, the Capitals STILL remain the last team to get swept in the Finals, back in ‘98 when they got rolled by the Wings led by the NHL’s first Russkie Wave and Stevie “Wonder” Yzerman.

45 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Montreal took their shot, there will be a Game 5.

My prediction for the Final will be accurate!  Yay!  I'm the only one to pick Tampa in 5 (according to the forum poll).   :)

• Like 1

As a Canadian, I really wished the Cup would be delivered in Montréal for the first time in 28 years but Tampa broke my dream. There's still a tiny chance for an eventual game 6 though.

7 minutes ago, Math said:

There's still a tiny chance for an eventual game 6 though.

Well don’t lose hope!  Two storms converge on Tampa Bay on Wednesday for game 6.  One, Elsa is bringing her rain and high winds from the south.  Two, Allie (that is, Montre-Allie!) is bringing her determination and puck savvy from the north!  These two whirlwinds meeting on Wednesday can lead to the Unpredictable! 😃 

Edited by SaucyJack

2 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

game 6

Err…me no can count good.  I need big sign near bed in morning which say (big font) :

FOUR…*THEN* FIVE.  (SIX LATER)

Kinda like that old Far Side cartoon with the big bedroom sign saying:  “First, pants.  THEN shoes.”

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

The Habs habitually prove me wrong. They didn't get swept like I predicted 

Three Lightning hit posts saw to that!

Although, I really can't complain about posts seeing as how Andrei Vasilevskiy made liberal use of them himself throughout the series!  :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

FB_IMG_1625615302870.jpg

LOL...all I gotta say is, at least that Montreal poster has his/her "comfort excuse" at the ready when the Bolts finally do eliminate them.

And props to the Bolts poster...damned funny!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 10:45 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

What part of it is ridiculous?  😐 

Agree on the first part, not so much on the second. 

And yet hockey's richest teams are Toronto, Montreal, and New York (Rangers)... in that order***.

***Forbes likes to stick the Rangers first but they're not first because the value of Madison Square Gardens doesn't count as value towards the New York Rangers hockey team. The venue is a general purpose facility that is separate from the team, even if both are owned by the same ownership group. Otherwise, if the Leafs were owned by Exxon Mobil, I could lump Exxon's entire oil business in with the value of the Maple Leafs and say the Leafs are hockey's richest franchise because they're worth over $1 trillion dollars. For an apples to apples comparison in a world of corporate bundling (where every company owns every other company), it has to be team versus team.

Far more populated yes, but they do not put forth more of a financial backing to their respective hockey teams.

There were hockey leagues already going on exclusively in Canada prior to the NHL, so I disagree.  However, I will agree that for the NHL to be one of the "big four" NA sports, it needs a presence in the US. However, the NHL could also survive as a league with half of its teams in Canada and the other half in Europe, even if it meant having fewer teams and less revenue. It could be more international like soccer and have a presence in more than just two countries. I doubt the US would create a rival hockey league on its own to compete with the NHL if the NHL never entered the US to begin with.  Their would be no desire/appetite for it. Hockey viewership in the US would be 0.

We've already had all-Canadian hockey leagues that predate the NHL. The Montreal Canadiens predate the NHL. The NHL was created out of those leagues.  Humble beginnings but that's where it all started.  :) 

😃👍

I'm convinced the only reason Tampa and (Panthers) got a team was because there are so many Ontario snowbirds spending winter in Florida that they constitute enough of a fanbase to make a go of it. When Toronto comes to town, that hypothesis is proven by the number of Leafs jerseys in the stands....... AND another hypothesis) is may be why Tampa changed their team colors to blue and white...... so that you can't spot the Leafs fans in the crowd when Toronto plays them!

I may be reaching on that one.... but I may also be bang on. :) 

TFG is the only Lightning fan here in the forum, and she lives in Minnesota. There's no TBL fan here that lives in Tampa lol.

I can’t argue with the Leafs hidden fan base.  I do not think you will see Sweden or Finland in the NHL due to something called the Atlantic Ocean.  

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Not so tough when you won most of them with 6 teams in the league

And when it was a totally different sport with draft rules that allow you to pick players only in your market basin, i.e. only where people played hockey.

« A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire »

6 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Not so tough when you won most of them with 6 teams in the league

I've said this before in other posts/threads but the NHL's most successful franchises are the ones who have done something recently and continue to be successful, even if they haven't existed for 100 years. Teams like Pittsburgh and Tampa win Cups at an alarming rate. 

Toronto basically wins the Cup once every 10 years (on average)... just like Tampa and Pittsburgh.

Montreal wins it once every 4 years on average.... although that average continues to plummet.

:)

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I've said this before in other posts/threads but the NHL's most successful franchises are the ones who have done something recently and continue to be successful, even if they haven't existed for 100 years. Teams like Pittsburgh and Tampa win Cups at an alarming rate. 

Toronto basically wins the Cup once every 10 years (on average)... just like Tampa and Pittsburgh.

Montreal wins it once every 4 years on average.... although that average continues to plummet.

:)

I don’t need to remind you my Sabres have been to the finals more recently than the Leafs.   Go England 

So it's G5 and wouldn't it be something if ... then back to the Bell. Tampa is so clearly the better team but stranger things have happened. And it sure would be nice to see a more competitive series. A Montreal win tonight makes it one. Easy bet that TB wins the series eventually but if they don't tonight...

On 7/6/2021 at 12:26 PM, lynxrattle said:

The Habs habitually prove me wrong. They didn't get swept like I predicted 

They didn't get swept but still lost it in 5 . I predicted Tampa win in 7. Interesting that Lightning won the last games in semifinals and finals with the same score 1:0.

Congrats to Tampa's team and their fans with that fantastic but very hard winning run. They really merit this title - Stanley Cup Winners which was confirmed in front of their fans this season. Last season they won it in Canada in empty arenas and this year in US in full Tampa arena. 3 seasons in a row this team is impressing me with such a successful developed consistent chemistry which is coming from each player having his personal own role during the game. It is like a real well oiled machine in a professional hockey!

Tampa finally put an end to this trickery (what should've been done by another team wearing blue earlier). Best moment of this final: Kucherov's no-filter postgame presser: