Do we have a team?

Guest phlfly

I think Briere is having trouble finding the right chemistry this year. I know his cap hit is a bit high, but I think it is way too early to give up on him. He is ULTRA clutch in the Playoffs. Would you rather have a Carter who pots 35-40 goals in the regular season and disappears for the playoffs or Briere who is streaky during the regular season and turns it up three notches for the playoffs???

As long as he is not LOSING us games, I don't mind at this point.

Two things really contributed to tonight's loss. Bryz really needs to tighten it up,when the other teams jam the net he freaks,panics and goes down,completely helpless.The "Sports Authority" is having a 50% off sale on all"BALLS",the boys need to rush right down and buy a bunch before the next game!

Bryzgalov's making snow angels while the puck sails in a foot off of the ice and him doing a golf clap when Skinner undressed Timmonen rather than defend were really low points of his game tonight. And just when he seemed to be turning it around....

Simmonds and Briere have been just about useless, but Hartnell has been playing about as well as I've seen him play.

Loosing to Carolina at home? Blecch.

I don't know if I'm ready to fire all things yet, but these are games we should be winning. The game (well, two games) against the Jets and now against Carolina. These are the supposedly "easy" points that we need to be banking now against teams at the bottome of the standings that, theoretically at least, we are better than.

It doesn't help that we were missing Coburn, Pronger, and Jagr. Although Pronger lately.......

Anyway, I'll hold off on making any fire or trade suggestions for now, but something needs to be done. How about a little more PP practice. It's not like we didn't have our opportunities. We just need to make them count. The PP was abysmal.

@TedZep

I thought Timmonen had an awful game..Skinner undressed him, and if you look at the goal..Bryz made the initial save..Timmonen didn't tie up Skinner's stick and he hammered the rebound in. On the other goal, the puck was in the crease and he did nothing..didn't take the man, and didn't clear the puck. Brutal for your top D man in the lineup last night. He needs to be better.

I think Briere is having trouble finding the right chemistry this year. I know his cap hit is a bit high, but I think it is way too early to give up on him. He is ULTRA clutch in the Playoffs. Would you rather have a Carter who pots 35-40 goals in the regular season and disappears for the playoffs or Briere who is streaky during the regular season and turns it up three notches for the playoffs???

As long as he is not LOSING us games, I don't mind at this point.

Agreed. There are few sure things in life like death and taxes and Briere in the playoffs. For that reason alone he is worth it as he ALWAYS shows up and has an excellent playoffs.

Didn't we all know this team, this year, was going to be a work in progress? If I was in charge I make NO moves that don't have to be made with the exception of injury fill ins (obviously) and to SLOWLY work Schenn into the lineup. 25% of the season is over and it seems like some want to rip more pieces apart. We need to leave it alone until atleast the trade deadline...

Briere will be ok. He is not with the best linemates right now. I think once he and Voracek get on the same page they will be a lethal line.

I like Simmonds, sort of, by this I mean at times. His skating down the boards, cruising behind the net, and either a) getting stripped or B) blindly throwing a backhand pass through the center is getting old. However, his grit, toughness and speed make him a great winger to play with Tabot and Read.

I also think that Read and JvR would be good line mates with him as well.

The team itself does not concern me too much with two of our top 4 out and Jagr injured, there is a lot of line shuffling going on.

In regards to Bryzgalov, well he didn't have a great outing yesterday, so I won't sugar coat it, but he also has been off for a few days. I am not too sure why he didn't play Saturday. In that regards, Lavy is kind of wearing thin on me.

My lines (when healthy)

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr

JvR-Briere-Read

Simmonds-Talbot-Voracek

Rinaldo-Couturier-Harry Z

Pronger-Carle

Timmo-Coburn

Lilja-Gus

And for the love of God, please play Bryzgalov until he shows signs of fatigue. Hell Lavy played Bobrovsky I believe 12 games straight last year for crying out loud.

I'm just baffled at why we keep seeing Shelly and even Nodl in the line-up!!!

Shelly is obvious, but I've just had it with waiting around for Nodl to become the player everyone thinks he is!! Just seems to be he's been "hanging around" enough in the shadows on this team for how many years now. Time to cut ties with this guy as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't believe Harry Z. was down last night so Shelly and Nold could be in.......UGH!

• Like 1

Briere, Bryz, Simmods and Harts (sometimes) are performing below expectation.

Briere is a good candidate for trade he needs to refresh.

This team is a working progress, it's going to take them sometime to get their chemistry for Simmods and Briere. I think Harts been playing good this year compared to the beginning of last year. I'm expecting this team to have it's ups and downs. For Bryz he needs start playing like a 51 million goalie.

This team is a working progress, it's going to take them sometime to get their chemistry for Simmods and Briere. I think Harts been playing good this year compared to the beginning of last year. I'm expecting this team to have it's ups and downs. For Bryz he needs start playing like a 51 million goalie.

Agree with breezy. thing that bothers me when he was in phoenix he played night in and night out and was better playing that way. he is not used to playing 1 or 2 games in a row possibly 3 and then having the night off. look any any other top goalie in the league lundquist maf, marty b, lungo etc list goes on . all teams with top goalies let them play say 8 or 9 game and then give them off. breezy has to be given that chance and let him get on a roll he. beezy gets better playing more games

What did you expect out of Simmonds?

He had 78GP 16 G 24 A two seasons ago, and 80GP 14 G 16 A last season. Currently, Simmonds sits at 20GP 4 G 4 A, on pace for approx 80GP 16 G 16 A. That is a slight improvement over last season, and with the context of the two prior seasons, around where he should be. Now, he was a 12% shooter those two seasons, and he's around 8.5% now, so if he picks up that pace a little, he might crack 20 goals. Regardless, he's not going to put up massive numbers.

source: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4328

Not really sure what exactly you expected out of Simmonds... He is a 35-40 point player. And in his young career, he is making steps towards improving his game, but I am not sure how fast and how soon this improvement will be noticeable. If you expected him to average 1 point per game, you set your expectations unrealistically and unjustifiably high. He is an energy guy who likes to play on the edge and bang bodies, which, I thought, he has done in most of the games he played. I don't think he slacked off in many games...

Hartnell had a rough start to the season, but once put on the Giroux line with Jagr, I thought he was quite effective and efficient.

Briere - agreed. I want to see more consistency.

Bryz - no argument from me whatsoever. So far, he hasn't played even close to the expected level. One can only hope that changes. If it doesn't, this team is ****ed. Plain and simple.

Edited by Mad Dog

t's going to take them sometime to get their chemistry for Simmods and Briere

not sure i would put simmonds on danny's wing, i don't think he has the hands, at least i haven't seen it from him yet. 48 plays better when he's got guys near his ability level with him; he's a sniper, finds the soft spot in the d, he needs a creative guy with him to get max production. he's not a mike richards type whose game, when he plays it, is simple and can tolerate guys like carcillo and nodl.