Wild off-season 2021

Icechipper

This was a huge mistake by the league. No way these selections should have been leaked before the show. I was going to watch, but not now. I’ll be watching the baseball game instead. This could have been a great opportunity but it’s gone now.

14 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Can Greenway skate backwards?🤔 We need defensemen...

Yes, we do, but the good thing is there are plenty of options. I’m hoping we resign Cole. Outside of that, I’m a little intrigued with Jake McCabe. I know he’s coming off an injury but he’s got size and toughness which I personally think we need a touch of in our lineup. I’d do back flips down the street if we could get Martinez but the cost is going to be prohibitive. Alex Goligoski would be acceptable.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TallyTigerShark said:

Yes, we do, but the good thing is there are plenty of options. I’m hoping we resign Cole. Outside of that, I’m a little intrigued with Jake McCabe. I know he’s coming off an injury but he’s got size and toughness which I personally think we need a touch of in our lineup. I’d do back flips down the street if we could get Martinez but the cost is going to be prohibitive. Alex Goligoski would be acceptable.

I will be also happy to see in defense of the big club our promising prospects Calen Addison (playing very smart by Brodin style) and Brennan Menell (playing a nice offensive hockey as well).  And our Louie Belpedio would be nice to see there too.

21 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

Read that and Kaapo is going nowhere 

I am very glad that Kaapo Kahkonen remained in our team. He is young(24 y.o.) , and goalies usually are maturing late after getting more and more professional experience. I think he had as a rookie a very good last 2020-2021 regular season for us (16-8-0) out of 24 games. Only  2 or 3 games were not the best for him, but the rest of the season was perfect as well as the other 5 games of the season 2019-2020 were pretty good too (3-1-1). In my opinion, as more as he will play for the team as better he will be as a goalie. Same way as it happened previously in Iowa, when he played for the Iowa Wild team as a starting goalie. More games - more positive results will come out of him. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 6:22 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

It's a no-lose signing really.
He isn't blocking anyone, is someone who can round out an AHL roster with some NHL experience, and anyone with any superior talent in the minors for Minnesota will easily surpass him on the call up list anyways.

I agree with you as well on regarding Cramarossa's  role, but still I do not understand how he did surpass Matt Boldy and played 4 games for the big club last season? Boldy(2019 1st round; #12 overall) did not played any games in the Wild uniform last season but was merit much more than Cramarossa to play there. Personally, for me,  Boldy presents the most interest out of our promising prospects, even more than Rossi. Probably, he is second on a list staying after Kaprizov, because he proved this by his consistent progressive play every season. Here are stats just for the last 2020-21 season:

- Boston College 31 points in 22 played games (11 goals;20 assists; +/- +15);

- USA U20 gold winner of this tournament 7 points in 7 played games (5 goals; 2 assists; +/- +3);

- Iowa Wild team 18 points in 14 games (6 goals;12 assists; +/- +5).

Here are some of his traits as a hockey player from the eliteprospects.com link:

He’s a highly-effective offensive winger with size, fantastic hands and puck skills, EPrinkside.com 2019

He has a unique-blend of size, skill, anticipation and vision, Hockeyprospect.com 2019

Boldy possesses elite vision, an excellent first pass in the offensive zone as well as high-end skating ability., Future Considerations 2019

The wrist shot is heavy and whippy, and simply deadly from all angles. He can score from a distance, or from in tight, McKeen's Hockey 2019.

I am already thinking, that if Boldy played for the big club few games last season and during playoffs, then our outcome will be better in playoffs and maybe he will be able to attract same interest like Caufield for Canadiens during that playoffs time.

5 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I am very glad that Kaapo Kahkonen remained in our team. He is young(24 y.o.) , and goalies usually are maturing late after getting more and more professional experience. I think he had as a rookie a very good last 2020-2021 regular season for us (16-8-0) out of 24 games. Only  2 or 3 games were not the best for him, but the rest of the season was perfect as well as the other 5 games of the season 2019-2020 were pretty good too (3-1-1). In my opinion, as more as he will play for the team as better he will be as a goalie. Same way as it happened previously in Iowa, when he played for the Iowa Wild team as a starting goalie. More games - more positive results will come out of him. 

Interesting, just found out from the Russo twit, a Guerin's talk regarding Soucy and Kahkonen, which were exposed to Kraken:

Guerin on Soucy: "It hurts our depth. We've got some work to do." Said he knew he'd lose one of Soucy and Kahkonen, and he's extremely happy to still have Kaapo.

From having a very solid defensive core next season is a bit of a question mark. I'm pretty hopeful Addison, Menell and Belpedio will be able to fulfil our hopes. Addison we've see already, Menell had a huge KHL season and Belpedio had great games playing in the national team as a junior.

I also think losing Soucy was nowhere near to losing Tuch. We'll see.

Kahkonen might turn out very valuable. Those 2-3 bad games and a bad half season in Iowa scare me, but goalies do mature later, like Alexandron said. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I heard its not likely Belpedio will be back.  Losing Soucy isn't that big of a deal.  Yes, we spent the time and effort to get him to where he is but he was ideally a 3rd pairing defenseman.  Its a role he'll probably end up having in Seattle.  That type of defenseman are replaceable.  Cole is probably going to be re-signed, hell they've been saying they've wanted him back for over a month already.  Jake McCabe is a logical addition too and I think he'll probably get picked up.  Yet I think you also want to give a spot to one of your cheaper Iowa-developed defensemen whether its Addison or Menell.  I know this might drive some fans crazy, but I'd let Addison continue to log bigger minutes in Iowa and play Menell with the big club.  Menell has all the incentive in the world to want to show the Wild and other teams what he can do at the NHL level.  Addison will get his shot, and I think it will be in the Top 4 as Dumba's future replacement when we trade him to offload his $6 million cap hit.  

I know I've heard David Savard and Alec Martinez's name bantered about, but I think both of them would want more term and more $$ than the Wild are willing / able to give up.  Martinez I think would be a great get for the Top 4 in the conventional sense, but I think his strong play for Vegas last year will drive up his price beyond where the team is willing to go.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Addison will get his shot, and I think it will be in the Top 4 as Dumba's future replacement when we trade him to offload his $6 million cap hit.

So when do you think we move Dumba? Sooner or later?

23 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I see the Blackhawks are going to let Pius Suter become a free agent.  He's fast, skilled and put up decent points in his rookie season.  IMO, might be a good affordable option for a Top 6 center spot and not old either!  

Plus the Wild training staff have all those Suter 20 jerseys... he will sport 20, eh?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Plus the Wild training staff have all those Suter 20 jerseys... he will sport 20, eh?

This is a different Suter (nor Ryan Suter) available - 25 y.o. Pius Suter; C/LW forward from Switzerland.

Here is a link:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/135775/pius-suter

• Like 1

I had mentioned some time back that Pius Suter would make a very good middle six option for someone.....never thought it COULD be the Wild.

I'd be very happy if it were!
Small NHL sample size of course, but he has shown he can be streaky (I will live with that to be the beneficiary of his 'good streaks') and is quite the 'pick pocket' as well.

May thrive better in Minnesota's more structured two way systems as opposed to Chicago's more wide open freestyle play.

• Like 1