Wild off-season 2021

Icechipper

Kind of expensive 35 y.o. defenseman from Minnesota. He played for 4-5 seasons at Pittsburgh, Dallas and Arizona respectively. 1 year is enough for his tryout at home. Maybe he presents some value, but we have plenty of young talented defensemen prospects to chose from. And they are cheaper too who also need a valuable NHL experience as well. I would prefer to give at least 3M to Menell for his 1 year tryout at the Wild who  is a Minnesotan too.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Kind of expensive 35 y.o. defenseman from Minnesota. He played for 4-5 seasons at Pittsburgh, Dallas and Arizona respectively. 1 year is enough for his tryout at home. Maybe he presents some value, but we have plenty of young talented defensemen prospects to chose from. And they are cheaper too who also need a valuable NHL experience as well. I would prefer to give at least 3M to Menell for his 1 year tryout at the Wild who  is a Minnesotan too.

We are getting maybe seven rounder for the rights to Menell maybe 

Goligoski signing is "ok".

I think 5M is a bit much for a player who is already 36 coming into a new system, but, it isn't like the Wild are on the hook for anything past this year with him.

On the plus side, the Wild don't want to go into the season TOO green on the back end, so Golig, Spurgeon, Brodin, and Dumba, assuming he isn't traded off at some point, make for a fine, very experienced quartet on the blue line. 
Perhaps now the Wild can round out the rest of the defense with younger players.

Goligoski is a bit of a shot blocking machine and he should help transition the offense from defense to open forwards.
He isn't particularly physical, but loves to shoot the puck, and from what I've seen of him play in Arizona the last couple seasons, still has his wheels.

• Like 3

Well hold your hockey sticks ,🏒 the Wild signed a French Canadian. Jaques Lemaire must be gushing. A center no less. He can wear Parise's old No. 11 sweaters (JP kept his custom lids). Adding a French voice to an already tower of Babel room fu of Finns, Swiss, Swedes, Norwegians, Canadians, a goofy Russian  and some good-old U.S. College guys is a stroke of genius. Guys can tell who is open just by identifying the languageof the guy calling for a pass.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Adding a French voice to an already tower of Babel room fu of Finns, Swiss, Swedes, Norwegians, Canadians, a goofy Russian  and some good-old U.S. College guys is a stroke of genius. Guys can tell who is open just by identifying the languageof the guy calling for a pass.

Either that, or the guy calling for the pass could go with the universal standby that transcends all languages: "HEY!!!" (or if Pius Suter is the one with the puck, "Hey, POPE!!":)

Agree with TFG that 5 mill is a bit stiff to rent a pair of wheels with 36 years on them. Then again, it is only for one year, and we are a bit skinny on D: at least BG didn't pull a Fletcher and give yet another aging retread a multi year early retirement package. And Goligoski should be a good upgrade in blue line veteran leadership - both on the ice and in the locker room - from the recently unloaded cancer we had in that spot.

IMO, it'll be four years before we get a chance to see what Guerin really has for general managerial chops: when he has some good cards in his hand and a decent chip stack to play. But if overpaying a bit to rent Goligoski for a year is the "worst" move that BG makes between now and then, I'll take it. GO WILD!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bear said:

Cant find anyone that wants to come to Minny

Probably because they won't get term here with our two buyouts. I mean, nobody in their right mind would go to a team that gives less term/money than the other ones.

We need a 1C the most, but I wouldn't want to wreck the future for Eichel.

• Like 2

Wild sign Dmitri Kulikov to a two year, 2.25M AAV contract.

A standard, "safe" signing.
Kulikov started his career as more of an offensive defenseman, but now, at 30, has settled into more of a defensive role.

Hits a bit, blocks shots, shoots the puck if he thinks he can get one through.
Nothing spectacular here, but the cap hit is alright, his age, during the Wild's transition is about right, and he should be more of a help than a liability on Minnesota's blue line.

I guess we can think of him as a more defensive minded, younger Ian Cole that hits a bit more but won't get as many assists as Cole would.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hey, hey.... Freddy Hockey wants to come to Minnesota!

Frédérick Gaudreau is here! ✌️

I forgot about him

2 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

Probably because they won't get term here with our two buyouts. I mean, nobody in their right mind would go to a team that gives less term/money than the other ones.

We need a 1C the most, but I wouldn't want to wreck the future for Eichel.

Your 100% right unless you thought that team had a good chance at the cup but that ain't the Wild. I was hoping we wouldn't get Eichel between his neck and what it would cost in picks and players no thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Wild sign Dmitri Kulikov to a two year, 2.25M AAV contract.

A standard, "safe" signing.
Kulikov started his career as more of an offensive defenseman, but now, at 30, has settled into more of a defensive role.

Hits a bit, blocks shots, shoots the puck if he thinks he can get one through.
Nothing spectacular here, but the cap hit is alright, his age, during the Wild's transition is about right, and he should be more of a help than a liability on Minnesota's blue line.

I guess we can think of him as a more defensive minded, younger Ian Cole that hits a bit more but won't get as many assists as Cole would.

beggers cant be choosers.

17 hours ago, McMahon 6 said:

Either that, or the guy calling for the pass could go with the universal standby that transcends all languages: "HEY!!!" (or if Pius Suter is the one with the puck, "Hey, POPE!!":)

Agree with TFG that 5 mill is a bit stiff to rent a pair of wheels with 36 years on them. Then again, it is only for one year, and we are a bit skinny on 😧 at least BG didn't pull a Fletcher and give yet another aging retread a multi year early retirement package. And Goligoski should be a good upgrade in blue line veteran leadership - both on the ice and in the locker room - from the recently unloaded cancer we had in that spot.

IMO, it'll be four years before we get a chance to see what Guerin really has for general managerial chops: when he has some good cards in his hand and a decent chip stack to play. But if overpaying a bit to rent Goligoski for a year is the "worst" move that BG makes between now and then, I'll take it. GO WILD!!!

Russo reported that Goligoski's deal comes with an agreement to possibly extend that 1-year pact but at half of the $5 million rate he's getting this year.  And did anyone notice he got a FULL no trade clause too?  I don't like it.  We paid him a premium IMO to come here, yet we still gave him an additional bonus of a full NTC?  

• Like 2

I don't like the NTC either, considering the $5 million price tag. For some reason, MN general managers don't appear to have mastered the art of saying "If you want an NTC, the money goes down to $3 million: if you want the 5 mill, then scratch the NTC. Your choice: I'm cool with either deal."

At worst, that would've left wiggle room for Goligoski and his agent to haggle the price up to $4 million, saving a million in cap space. I doubt that teams were standing in line to pay more than that for a player his age (unless he turns into another Ageless Wonder like Lidstrom, in which case an extension for $2.5 million per would be perfectly acceptable...)

• Like 1

I agree with this 100%, IMO that's exactly how you handle it.  Want more $$ then we can't give you a NMC / NTC, if you want NMC / NTC then you're going to take far less $$ take your pick.  But not both.  

I think Russo's article exposed the fact the team locked on so heavily on trying to bring in Nick Foligno many other affordable options got picked up by other clubs.  I am not sure why it was so important to reunite the brothers.  Ultimately, he decided he wanted to play for a contender (which should say something about how people see our team in case anyone was deluded into thinking we're so close to a Stanley Cup).  

Listening to KFAN's Beyond the Pod today, and I said this earlier (even before the opening of free agency) to embrace the suck because that's exactly what's going to happen the next few years; especially the next 3 after this season.  

Its just the reality of where they are at as a team and with their cap situation being what it is.  

• Like 1

Wild sign left-shot defenseman Jon Merrill, 29, to a one-year, $850,000 contract.

Former Michigan Wolverine is 6-3, 205 pounds, 12 goals, 66 points in 405 NHL games for NJ, Vegas, Detroit, Montreal.

Via Russo.. I actually really like this addition and the price. 

Quick question about Goligoski's deal.. being its so spendy.. did they basically front load the cost this year while they have the $ knowing he's open to re-signing next season to stay here on a cheaper team friendly deal that fits under the cap issues the Wild will continue to have from the buyouts? cause if that's the case.. and we get him this year for the bigger hit and next year for quite a bit cheaper.. I really don't hate it.. but if it's a 1 year and done it's kind of a head scratcher that he got that much AND the NMC or NTC. like others have said you should either get the money OR the NTC/NMC not both in this case.

Edited by Gnarkill
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hey, hey.... Freddy Hockey wants to come to Minnesota!

Frédérick Gaudreau is here! ✌️

I do not think that this was a good choice for us by signing undrafted player. I just looked for his stats and did not find anything special except he is good in AHL. It seems he is just an AHL player who had plenty tryouts in NHL.

• Like 1

Alex Goligoski will have tomorrow 36 (July 30th). Happy Birthday Alex! Hope you will be a nice replacement of Suter. 

I found out on Russo twit our 3 blue lines this new season.

Spurgeon - Goligoski;

Brodin-Dumba;

Kulikov-Addison(Merrill).

Edited by Alexandron
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Gnarkill said:

Via Russo.. I actually really like this addition and the price. 

Quick question about Goligoski's deal.. being its so spendy.. did they basically front load the cost this year while they have the $ knowing he's open to re-signing next season to stay here on a cheaper team friendly deal that fits under the cap issues the Wild will continue to have from the buyouts? cause if that's the case.. and we get him this year for the bigger hit and next year for quite a bit cheaper.. I really don't hate it.. but if it's a 1 year and done it's kind of a head scratcher that he got that much AND the NMC or NTC. like others have said you should either get the money OR the NTC/NMC not both in this case.

Not really.  The agreement I referenced was something that is believed (through Russo's sources) to be an unwritten part of the deal.  So if he comes in and is awful, you obviously don't extend him.  Or if he's great then you get back together and he sticks around another season or two at a hometown discount rate.  

Still, I'd hope the full NTC would not continue through any extension either.  I think its stupid to cement in pieces and give the players the chance to dictate how you manage your roster.  I don't buy the 'all teams do this' you do that with younger players you truly want / need to keep, not guys who are over 35 years old.  

He didn't get a NMC, just a full NTC.  So there is no list of 10 teams he'd accept going.  It means if you are going to trade him he'd have to waive it / approve it.  Since it is No Trade Clause, it wouldn't prevent the Wild from burying him in the minors if they wanted to.  Only a No Movement Clause prevents both of those scenarios which is why it was so crazy that we were handing those out like candy too; right next to the bowl with 2nd round and 3rd round picks to be tossed away on crap at the deadline.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I do not think that this was a good choice for us by signing undrafted player. I just looked for his stats and did not find anything special except he is good in AHL. It seems he is just an AHL player who had plenty tryouts in NHL.

He's a decent player and if he can win 50%+ of his draws its already an important win on a cheap 2-year deal.  I've watched him with the Predators and the Admirals.  He plays hard each shift, he has decent speed and is a good forechecker.  He's bottom 6 forward that knows he's a bottom 6 forward.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Alex Goligoski will have tomorrow 36 (July 30th). Happy Birthday Alex! Hope you will be a nice replacement of Suter. 

I found out on Russo twit our 3 blue lines this new season.

Spurgeon - Goligoski;

Brodin-Dumba;

Kulikov-Addison(Merrill).

Other than Brodin, Spurge, and Dumba (assuming Dumba isn't moved out before the season or during), the Wild will have to make due with a relative 'budget' defense.

Sometimes, a situation like that can work in a team's favor..... where a bunch of 'parts', knowing they aren't anywhere near elite individually, work extra hard to become pretty good as an entire unit.|
But we will have to see if that will be the case.

Even with some of the good points already outlined for some of the newer signees, I have a feeling Wild goaltenders will be seeing a lot more rubber fly their way this season

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 3:24 PM, Bear said:

Cant find anyone that wants to come to Minny

Because our promising prospects instead of seen sunrise they have seen mainly sunset. But some one from outside ( by signing most of the time a contract for 1 year) is always occupying their place; playing time and salary.  And to attract those outside players we are giving them also NTC contracts.

And what we have seen this off-season - loses:

1. The Penguins have signed goaltender Filip Lindberg (our extremely/superbly promising goalie prospect) to a two-year, entry-level contract, who did not want to hear anything about Minnesota;

2.  Brennan Menell (our extremely promising offensively minded defenseman; who was one of the best in AHL and KHL) is moving to Toronto instead of giving to him 1 year tryout contract here;

Out of Russo twit - "Guerin on Brennan Menell trade (2nd in KHL/AHL in d points the past 2 years): "He needs a change. It just wasn't a fit anymore and we're not in to holding guys back. It's good for him that he got a change." What? He wasn't a fit without any real tryout in the Wild uniform? Wow. That was cruel strange decision, which I am sure Evason was involved too.

3. Gerald Mayhew (our extremely promising forward prospect; one of the best in AHL last 3 seasons) is moving to Philadelphia without a real tryout in the Wild uniform; We signed undrafted AHL-er Gaudreau who had lots of tryouts in NHL and pushed out for nothing Mayhew without any of those tryouts;

4. Louie Belpedio (our very promising defenseman) by playing 4 seasons in Iowa Wild team and who had only total 4 games in the Wild team , now he is moving to Montreal;

5. Dmitri Sokolov (our very promising and very unusual very specific forward) did not have any games/ZERO in the Wild uniform after playing 3 full seasons in OHL and 3 full seasons in AHL. 6 years this Russian spent in North America practically for nothing only by playing the time which was given to him in minor leagues. I just looked through his stats. He played total 315 games in 6 seasons and has got 279 points( 164 goals; 115 assists). Who else out of any our prospects has got this amount of points in the Wild history by playing far away from his native country ? The article regarding him from hockeywilderness was extremely stupid which included the video that he did not pass the speed test, and  Boudreau sarcastically was asking him: Soky do it again. I am sure Boudreau never did successfully this test by himself, as well as I am sure Tarasenko and Ovechkin will not be able to do it. And I think this is why Boudreau lost his position and kicked out of Capitals because of developed antipathy between him and Ovechkin. 

Many times Sokolov and Mayhew together were placing goals to win the game in last minutes/seconds in regulation and in OT. And that speed test was not needed to score those goals.

An interesting fact, at the same day when Kaprizov and Fiala have got an offer from GM, which they did not accepted; Sokolov did not get any offer from Guerin , but at the same day he has got an offer from Omskyie Krylia (Wings of Omsk) from VHL league(Supreme Hockey League), which is a 2nd after KHL there.

Other interesting fact, everyone who we signed this off-season is older than we have lost so far. Team is older now.

• Like 1

Lindberg was at least smart enough to pick a team shallow on goaltenders and I think that bodes well for him getting a chance sooner than later.  It sucks, because we certainly could've used him to push Kahkonen and also forced Jones to keep improving if he wants a chance.  

As far as Menell goes, well he clearly annoyed Guerin / Wild management by playing in the KHL (regardless of how well he did) and then having the audacity to demand one-way contract.  Whether they felt he was NHL-ready or not, they probably felt it would not be a good idea to give Menell what he wants and send a message to other players that you an strong arm this team into making such a concession.  Still, given the team's cap crunch I think it was a calculated risk by Menell and his agent.  They figured the team would want to have him as a cheap option on the blueline so they might be able to leverage a 1-way deal.  Guerin was having nothing of it, so they shipped him out and they clearly didn't care if they got anything back.  

Mayhew had his chances to shine and unfortunately he didn't take advantage of those opportunities, especially the ones this last season.  We'll see if he gets anymore opportunities with the Flyers.  

Belpedio likely annoyed the team when he got 'hurt' on the taxi squad and the team had to do some juggling because they had to pay him his NHL salary while he recovered.  Plus I think Belpedio was hoping for a fresh chance if he was never really going to be given an opportunity here.  

Sokolov never deserved that chance.  He had to start making a better commitment towards staying in shape and rounding out the rest of his game.  He was told by the team's development staff what he needed to do, they even offered to help but he never fully committed to it.  So the rest sort of took care of itself.  If Sokolov is pissed at the Wild, he's in denial over what the real issue is which is himself.  If you or Sokolov are blaming Boudreau, that's laughable.  Look at how far Sokolov was in that test.  He wasn't just a few feet behind everyone he was a good 10-15 seconds behind the rest of the team.  How do you think that would translate to the game where its moving that much faster?  But keep up the excuses, I think we all know why you keep trotting them out for ol' Sokolov.  

You forget there is a good chance we'll be adding a 19-year old and 20-year old to the lineup.  i think we're still getting younger for the most part.  

• Like 1