Wild off-season 2021

Icechipper

On 9/2/2021 at 8:04 AM, IllaZilla said:

I agree that the clubhouse started with the arrival of The Wonder Twins, but I don't know if Coyle, et al were wrecked by them. Coyle really only had one good year with the Wild (amazingly enough it was a contract year. Funny how that works). Aside from his one playoff explosion with the B's after the trade, he's been nothing special in Beantown. Granlund produced while he was here, and we did get Fiala for him. At the time it appeared the Wild got hoodwinked, but Fiala has out produced Granlund over the last two seasons. I will agree with you on Niedereitter. He was a productive player here and is still producing for the Hurricanes. Rask has done nothing here, short of taking up space on the bench and a good chunk of the salary cap. I don't know if either of those two had anything to do with the Niedereitter trade. It was almost like Fenton made the trade because he could. Especially after it came out that he never had Rask scouted and just pulled the trigger.

Be interesting to see what happens on their new teams, if they are able to dictate their ice time, line mates and such.

Coyle, I think you're right.  He is what he is.  A classic teaser who can show you flashes of skill, scoring ability but more often than not leaves you disappointed he isn't more assertive physically or offensively.  However I do think the 'Country Club' shamed Jason Zucker into being more of a passer and less of a shooter.  They didn't like it when he'd just turn on the jets and take his own chances to score.  That's around the time that Parise started to make comments about the fly by celebrations and crap...probably mostly because of envy over his popularity.  

I think Nino couldn't manage to get almost any power play time because the country club was holding onto those spots so that limited him to his even-strength time.  

I think Suter will try to dictate his ice time, etc.  Parise will not get preferential treatment with the Islanders.  I don't think Trotz will give him any special treatment.  If he's not doing what he's told, he'll be on the bench or in the pressbox.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Coyle, I think you're right.  He is what he is.  A classic teaser who can show you flashes of skill, scoring ability but more often than not leaves you disappointed he isn't more assertive physically or offensively.  However I do think the 'Country Club' shamed Jason Zucker into being more of a passer and less of a shooter.  They didn't like it when he'd just turn on the jets and take his own chances to score.  That's around the time that Parise started to make comments about the fly by celebrations and crap...probably mostly because of envy over his popularity.  

I think Nino couldn't manage to get almost any power play time because the country club was holding onto those spots so that limited him to his even-strength time.  

I think Suter will try to dictate his ice time, etc.  Parise will not get preferential treatment with the Islanders.  I don't think Trotz will give him any special treatment.  If he's not doing what he's told, he'll be on the bench or in the pressbox.  

Forgot about how Zucker changed from a scorer to a passer. And the "Fly-bys look cheesy" comment from Parise. How full of yourself do you have to be to tell 22 other guys on the team they should only celebrate a goal the way you want it celebrated?

In my opinion, I don't think the "Country Club" wrecked any prospects, per se, but I can see how the way they dictated their ice time, special teams situations, and line mates could have influenced the development, or lack thereof, of younger players, and thus "wrecked" them. Or the prospects just weren't that good to begin with. I do think Wild fans tend to over-value our prospects. So maybe it's a combo platter. Mediocre prospects + limited ice time/situations = lack of development.

All I know is that I'm glad Guerin has a pair and cleaned house. And hopefully in the future Fan Boy #1 learned his lesson and sticks to just writing the checks and not picking GM's or giving out his personal cell number to players...

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Forgot about how Zucker changed from a scorer to a passer. And the "Fly-bys look cheesy" comment from Parise. How full of yourself do you have to be to tell 22 other guys on the team they should only celebrate a goal the way you want it celebrated?

In my opinion, I don't think the "Country Club" wrecked any prospects, per se, but I can see how the way they dictated their ice time, special teams situations, and line mates could have influenced the development, or lack thereof, of younger players, and thus "wrecked" them. Or the prospects just weren't that good to begin with. I do think Wild fans tend to over-value our prospects. So maybe it's a combo platter. Mediocre prospects + limited ice time/situations = lack of development.

All I know is that I'm glad Guerin has a pair and cleaned house. And hopefully in the future Fan Boy #1 learned his lesson and sticks to just writing the checks and not picking GM's or giving out his personal cell number to players...

I would agree as a group they were overhyped.  Yea, I hope he learned his lesson too.  Or at least started to block Tom Saggisor's calls.  

Wild-off season 2021 is ending. I would like especially to congratulate Foligno and Dumba because of their fishing hobby and their trophy catch for bass. I am impressed already. More best fishermen we will have in our team more closer we will stand to a Stanley Cup. World media already predicting more success in Stanley Cup playoffs this season with a current roster and outstanding promising prospects Boldy and Rossi who could be a powerful line together with Fiala.

6 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

6-4 loss against the Avs. Addison +/- -4, Hammond save % .64 or something. Beckman with another goal, though.

12 goals in 2 pre-season games for 3 goalies (Talbot; Kahkonen; Hammond) is kind of a lot. I was hoping that they will give a chance to play at least a portion of game to Kozlowski instead of giving 2 games for Hammond. Some other teams had already shutouts.

And Beckman still impressing us with his production - 3 goals in 2 games. 

• Like 1

Let's ask the Beckman question backwards: why is he not ready? Because it sure looks like he is. Tall, lanky, skates well and scores.

Wild historians think: ope, Sheppard. But he was just a tall clutz on skates. And Poulin, who was overrated.

Everybody's talking Boldy and Rossi but Beckman is potting goals in a man's game. Exhibitions, yes, but in the NHL, against hungry professionals. Doubt those goalies we're allowing gimmies just because it's only some rookie shooting.

And can we get a real hockey number for Beckman's Wild sweater? What's he got, 52, 53? Is that like a linebacker?

Hey, #9 is available!

Edited by Icechipper
Clarify
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

6-4 loss against the Avs. Addison +/- -4, Hammond save % .64 or something. Beckman with another goal, though.

Hammond's been toast for a while. They should show him the door and let some kid take his spot. 

Experience is good but not when you can't hack it anymore.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Let's ask the Beckman question backwards: why is he not ready? Because it sure looks like he is. Tall, lanky, skates well and scores.

Wild historians think: ope, Sheppard. But he was just a tall clutz on skates. And Poulin, who was overrated.

Everybody's talking Boldy and Rossi but Beckman is potting goals in a man's game. Exhibitions, yes, but in the NHL, against hungry professionals. Doubt those goalies we're allowing gimmies just because it's only some rookie shooting.

And can we get a real hockey number for Beckman's Wild sweater? What's he got, 52, 53? Is that like a linebacker?

Hey, #9 is available!

I think he is ready the most out of all our prospects. And I have heard from commentators that Beckman is comparable with our former player Eric Staal.

I am watching that game now on YouTube. Zuccarello had not a bad game - 3 assists. That line Beckman-EEK-Zuccarello was nice. And Mason Shaw had a nice goal in redirection of the puck. Especially I would like to mention a good play by our defenseman Kulikov. Hammond was not too good. We had 3 unanswered goals during a 3rd period in our net when Hammond was in. But I am thinking that Colorado will have some goaltending problems this season also. We will see.

• Like 2

Just found out that Minnesota Wild claim Rem Pitlick off waivers. He is native from Minnesota (Plymouth, MN); played for the University of MN(NCAA). He was drafted by Nashville (3rd round; #76 overall) in 2016 and played 11 NHL games so far (0 goals; 2 assists; +/- +3)) for the Nashville team. I looked through his overall career stats. It seems he present an interest for the Wild organization.

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2021/10/5/22711143/minnesota-wild-rem-pitlick-nashville-predators-waivers-transactions-nhl

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2021 at 1:49 AM, EmptyShelf said:

Your points make great sense.  When I said we didn't get much for Granlund, Coyle, and NN, I probably should have added the qualifier 'overall,' as I do like Fiala quite a bit, and completely agree that he has outplayed Granlund. 

....and this season Granlund has completely outplayed Fiala. Funny how fast things change.

6 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

....and this season Granlund has completely outplayed Fiala. Funny how fast things change.

Yeah. Hockey is a team sport. Pair Granlund with Forsberg/Duchene and the points start coming. I'm also pretty sure that if one manages to find suitable & capable line mates for Fiala, the goals/points will start piling up. What I am not so sure about is if the Wild has those players or near-future- prospects that would bring out the best in Fiala.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Yeah. Hockey is a team sport. Pair Granlund with Forsberg/Duchene and the points start coming. I'm also pretty sure that if one manages to find suitable & capable line mates for Fiala, the goals/points will start piling up. What I am not so sure about is if the Wild has those players or near-future- prospects that would bring out the best in Fiala.

I'm not sure downplaying Granlund's season and using linemates as an excuse for Fiala are plausible arguments.

IMO the situation is vice versa: Fiala is one of the key players who should bring the best out of players around him.

If he's a player who needs a TOP10 goal scorer/puck distributor in the league to make himself look good, he should be traded. The Wild can't afford to have $5 mil.+ players as sidekicks.

9 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

I'm not sure downplaying Granlund's season and using linemates as an excuse for Fiala are plausible arguments.

IMO the situation is vice versa: Fiala is one of the key players who should bring the best out of players around him.

If he's a player who needs a TOP10 goal scorer/puck distributor in the league to make himself look good, he should be traded. The Wild can't afford to have $5 mil.+ players as sidekicks.

I also think that Fiala might have to be traded. I think Kaprizov is such a key to the Wild, that other key players will have to fit him, and Fiala has not so far shown to have much of chemistry with him.

• 2 months later...
On 12/2/2021 at 11:40 PM, lynxrattle said:

I also think that Fiala might have to be traded. I think Kaprizov is such a key to the Wild, that other key players will have to fit him, and Fiala has not so far shown to have much of chemistry with him.

Has your mind now changed on Fiala?

On 12/2/2021 at 11:40 PM, lynxrattle said:

36 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

As well as Fiala has picked up his game, I am still of the mindset that, if teams are willing to offer a pretty good package or player for him, trade him when his value is highest.
Then again, that should come as no surprise coming from me because I always thought Fiala to be that streaky, red hot everybody loves him guy.....then he will turn into the cold streaked, can't seem to protect the puck, and force-a-play type guy that will aggravate everyone...including his coach.

There may be some teams out there that can cover his deficiencies, but the Wild rely on a total team game, complete with responsible puck handling and consistency to get the most out of a group that, when at their best, can outplay even star loaded teams.
Kevin Fiala doesn't fit that description....and you KNOW he and his agent will be wanting a nice fat contract sooner than later.

IMO, classic case of good to great player capable of some nice peaks....but will also showcase some pretty dreadful valleys, and nowhere near the calibur of a Kaprizov, though HE may think so and want that reflected in his next deal.

"Trade him when his value is perceived to be its highest......before it sinks again."

11 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

Yes it has! I doubted if we have a player who has chemistry with Fiala and it turns out Fiala has a Kap - Zuccy level instant chemistry with Boldy. Boldy plays so well that it seems to compensate or even negate Fiala's defensive gaffes.

Now I would expect Fiala, his agent or the both of them to be smart enough to realise that it is in their best interest to keep Fiala in a team with Boldy. Fiala has had trouble finding the right place and right line mates for him. He would take quite a risk going to another team. If he's ready to suffer with the Wild through the cap hell years coming, he'll have a great chance to keep playing some awesome hockey through his prime playing career years, and will get paid handsomely eventually.

• Like 1

Our prospects are probably watching the Wild to a degree. They are probably cognizant of how the Wild is playing nowadays and what it takes to get into, and stay in Minnesota Wild. The success is going is going to have an effect there too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...