Flyers targeting UFA's

CoachX

1 minute ago, darthbal said:

No no, not Demers. Chuckles will bring Suter yo Philly on another 11 year contract or something that long

He needs a right hand shot....sorry he will end up a Black Hawk.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

@mojo1917

I guess so much for your suggestion.

Matt Calvert has announced his NHL retirement after 10 seasons.

Saw that.

Rats

Cannot believe the Pens didn't protect B Tanev. 

At least he's far away now. 

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Friedman - I've heard the Flyers are out on Jack Eichel, but they have talked about Sam Reinhart and Rasmus Ristolainen.

I like Reinhart. He would fit in nicely on that first or second line right wing spot.

• Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I like Reinhart. He would fit in nicely on that first or second line right wing spot.

He can play center too. 

He's a good player. 

On the twitters people are saying this is a guy you give up #13 for...I tend to agree. 

• Good Post 1

39 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Pitlick would be a nice addition to the 4th line.

Pitlick? Seriously? Will someone run my ass over with a large truck?

Pitlick was a nice player and it was a bummer he left. However, with everything going on, and all the talks about EVERYONE they were gonna sign, and EVERYONE they were gonna trade, if this is the move they make, then Fletcher is the boob all of you said he was

11 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Pitlick was a nice player and it was a bummer he left. However, with everything going on, and all the talks about EVERYONE they were gonna sign, and EVERYONE they were gonna trade, if this is the move they make, then Fletcher is the boob all of you said he was

If this is the one and ONLY move this team makes, then this Flyers organization is quite probably irreparably incompetent. They need high energy agitators on this team, and I want the other agitator that they have at forward, TK... to stay out of the penalty box and score goals.

Edited by FD19372

5 hours ago, CoachX said:

It makes perfect sense....he could have just re-signed him....but this way he gets him by giving away assets!

Plus, he's from Minnesota!

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

It makes perfect sense....he could have just re-signed him....but this way he gets him by giving away assets!

Plus, he's from Minnesota!

well I guess there is another Flyer trade rumor washed down the 'ol schidt hole. Pitlicker went to Calgary.

I guess Fletcher is still safe from being a total idiot...for now

27 minutes ago, CoachX said:

well I guess there is another Flyer trade rumor washed down the 'ol schidt hole. Pitlicker went to Calgary.

I guess Fletcher is still safe from being a total idiot...for now

"Total". 

On 7/22/2021 at 11:56 AM, mojo1917 said:

He can play center too. 

He's a good player. 

On the twitters people are saying this is a guy you give up #13 for...I tend to agree. 

Just asking this because I am not aware of all what went on in Vancouver so I was wondering about a one year deal for Jake Virtanen?

Just looking at the numbers the prior year he put up 18 goals 36 points in 69 games.

Not bad on a not so great Canucks team is he worth the contract or would just be another headache for a team trying to rid themselves of those types?

Not sure if you know but this is for anyone who would like to chime in.

Chuckles said he wanted to add another forward but he may prefer a more veteran option.

Asking for a friend.

I still like Kyle Palmieri as a option if it has to be an older vet type.

So before adding anyone else we have to what the RFA and Morin sign for I am going to guess...

Hart I say 3 years 3 mill AAV.

Sanheim I say I say 6 years 4.5 mill AAV

Morin I say 2 years 950K AAV

Guess we'll see soon.

That will leave them 3.9 mill in capspace.

I know they like to keep a cushion.

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hart I say 3 years 3 mill AAV.

Sanheim I say I say 6 years 4.5 mill AAV

I was thinking between 7 and 8 aav for both players.

This was based on reading Charlie O'Connor in the Athletic.

Big Sam is in at 750k, just announced.

That leaves under 3 for the BUG, the Flyers should be able to get a serviceable guy for 2.5ish x 2 or 3 right?

Also feel like without another big move, once the goalie is signed the off season will stabilize , it's been pretty wild compared to the last 4 or 5 years. 

So I'm not counting on a F/A  3C or #6 defensman being signed. I think guys will have to step up. 

I feel better relying on 2 or 3 guys to step up into less important roles.

Definitely feel better about Ellis on top pair, than I did Myers "growing into it" or Gustafsson be able to play on the right side, and Patrick as 3C.

Edited by mojo1917

16 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

7 and 8 aav for both players.

Is that for both combined?

Or do mean 7 or 8 year length of contracts?

3mill + 4.5 mill 7.5 mill is what I got combined?

Just confusing on how you worded it.

18 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

So I'm not counting on a F/A  3C or #6 defensman being signed. I think guys will have to step up. 

Per Bill...he talks about the D men.

I bolded the part for @flyercanuck

hb.png
Bill Meltzer

Quick Hits: Flyers Daily, Goalies, Morin, York, Foerster, Desnoyers & More

July 26, 2021, 9:03 AM ET [123 Comments]
Quick Hits: July 26, 2021

1) On the Monday edition of the Flyers Daily podcast, newly acquired right winger Cam Atkinson has a one-on-one conversation with Jason Myrtetus. In the second segment, Jason and I wrap up Draft weekend and the moves the Flyers made over the last week-plus.

We spent a portion of the second segment talking about Rasmus Ristolainen, who is basically the poster child for how most NHL pro scouts and the majority of coaches sometimes can see the game quite differently from the analytics community (side note: there's a reason why NHL teams all have analytics departments nowadays because most of today's GMs want as many frames of reference as possible before arriving at decisions, and value the combined work of both staffs).

Another portion of the second segment is spent talking about what the Flyers' next steps may be to complete their offseason activity when free agency officially opens on Wednesday. The majority of the time is spent discussing goaltenders.

The final portion of the hour-long podcast is an "Ask Billy" segment where we field Twitter questions. On my Twitter page, I answered various questions that we couldn't get to on the program due to time constraints. Keep 'em coming! Jason and I both really enjoy the back-and-forth segment.

To listen to the podcast, click here.

2) Flyers prospects Tyson Foerster and Elliot Desnoyers were invited to Hockey Canada's Summer Showcase roster. However, neither are attending. Flyers assistant general manager Brent Flahr clarified their statuses.

* Foerster tweaked his shoulder while training in Toronto. It's only a 10-day to two-week injury but the recovery timetime overlaps with the Summer Showcase.

* Desnoyers had off-season surgery and is still rehabbing. However, he should be fine to participate in the Flyers' Rookie Camp in September.

3) On Friday, Jason Myrtetus and I had the chance to chat with a few different Flyers staff members. No one came right out and said this but I got the sense that the organization may be interested in some degree to hedge their bets in case Cam York (or Egor Zamula) is not immediately ready for full-time NHL starting duty.

However, they also don't want box out the youngster, either. Morgan Frost is also in a similar situation after missing all but four and a fraction periods of the entire 2020-21 season and having his AHL/NHL debut season in 2019-20 end in mid-March due to the pandemic.

During his post-Draft press conference the next day, general manager Chuck Fletcher acknowledged that additional depth on defense (and forward) would be of interest in free agency. I assume he meant trying to sign a defenseman of sufficient cache to be a potential third-pairing left defense option at the NHL level on a one-year deal but not at a price tag or term that would lock the Flyers into him and block York for a full season or more.

At the same time, if it's strictly a Derrick Pouliot or Tyler Wotherspoon type of UFA -- and I have nothing against that caliber of player as AHL regulars and fill-in NHL depth -- that's fine for the Phantoms but not a viable NHL option barring multiple injuries. Last season, the Flyers dressed Nate Prosser in a half-dozen games. His first game worked out fine, including him scoring a rare goal, but the returns diminished very quickly. As great of a guy and AHL leader with 360 games of NHL experience as the right-handed Prosser (now a UFA) is, that variety of signing should not be considered an NHL starting option except under the most dire of roster emergencies.

Someone messaged me on Twitter about whether I think the Flyers would have interest in Mike Reilly as a UFA. The 28-year-old definitely played quite well for the Bruins after Boston acquired him from Ottawa. He's a well-known commodity to Fletcher and Flahr as a former Minnesota Wild player and University of Minnesota product. However, while I do think he'd be a player of interest from a hockey standpoint, I think there's at least a 50-50 chance he re-signs with Boston. If not, there'll be competition. He will make more than the $1.5 million of his now-expired deal. The price tag should be a little north, although not outrageously so, of what Philly might budget if theiy add a third NHL roster defenseman this offseason after Ryan Ellis and Ristolainen were acquired. I'd also think it'd take a two-year deal, rather than one.

Others have asked me about Keith Yandle, who is expected to announce his next destination by Wednesday. While some rumors had the Flyers among teams with interest, that was before the Ristolainen addition. Even with being bought out recently by the Florida Panthers, the nearly 35-year-old offensive defenseman can pull down a pretty decent chunk of change somewhere on a 1-to-2 year deal. He'd block York.

Alex Goligoski will turn 36 at the end of this month and is getting to to the age where he's a year-to-year player although he's presently still a big minutes D. A one-year veteran third pairing of Goligoski and Justin Braun would be an excellent way to round out a top six with Sam Morin as the number seven guy and York getting top-pair minutes on the Phantoms. However, I'd be surprised if it actually played out that way. He's coming off a pretty decent season for a poor Coyotes team and his expiring contract had nearly a $5.5 million cap hit. That's the sort of acquisition the Flyers would absolutely have jumped on in the pre-cap era or even during the cap era when there were few internal prospects who were potentially NHL-ready and the defense corps budget share was extremely high (which it now is again among the top 4).

Teams do need a few entry-level contract players on the roster, too. So unless there's a 6/7 D who can rotate in and out with Morin based on matchup and is simply short-term insurance in case York doesn't seem ready for full-time top-six duty out of camp, I think York may still ultimately enter 2021-22 camp with an inside track. The cap forces tough decisions ahead of training camps. But who knows? Due to the flat cap, there may be surprising players squeezed out of contracts and become potential PTO candidates for a training camp.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Is that for both combined?

Or do mean 7 or 8 year length of contracts?

3mill + 4.5 mill 7.5 mill is what I got combined?

Just confusing on how you worded it.

yeah sorry 'bout that.

between 7 to 8 million aav to sign both players. 

definitely in line with what you're projecting there.

Since both players struggled last season the Flyers may be able to get them for what I hope will be a discount by the end of these signings.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

yeah sorry 'bout that.

between 7 to 8 million aav to sign both players. 

definitely in line with what you're projecting there.

Since both players struggled last season the Flyers may be able to get them for what I hope will be a discount by the end of these signings.

What about Casey Cizikas for a bottom 6 role?

Kick the tires.