Parise and Suter bought out

Brewin Flames

I’ve had basic cable for seven years cause I didn’t want Suter on my TV.  Anyone who has ever played hockey has played with a jackass who doesn’t get off the ice.  Move your ass, get tired get off the ice. Big bye Suter, respect to Parise. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Right now I'm thinking that EmptyShelf is running through the streets of St. Paul drunk and naked out of utter joy. 😅

Well, gents; here I am 846577816_seniormanknuckles.jpg.c9411a43f48a0e014493f747d5d7e988.jpg  This is mid celebration.  I am now out of gas, so I called CL and BG and profusely thanked them after 9 years of bitter suffering.  A new AGE has arrived without the malcontent country club.  Parise looked like he got kicked in the nuts on the news - should have thought about that when you contributed towards creating the toxic culture that ruined younger players and ran them out of town.  My guess is that the two self-important jag-offs refused to waive their NMC/NTC, and BG showed them the door for the good of the franchise - FINALLY.  Now, let's move forward towards building a complete team, starting with a solid draft....

Bonus Picture

2007515227_oldmanslowwalk.jpg.0e557368324cfef4cb548dc7b16de0b2.jpg.   Earlier in the day.  I tired myself out from a joyful marathon and put on some drawers complete with courtesy black socks to walk back to the abode.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

6 hours ago, The Kid said:

I’ve had basic cable for seven years cause I didn’t want Suter on my TV.  Anyone who has ever played hockey has played with a jackass who doesn’t get off the ice.  Move your ass, get tired get off the ice. Big bye Suter, respect to Parise. 

This was such a GREAT first post, that I had to give you a REAL endorsement1798292366_toothysmile.jpg.fa629cea93a195974e4f97081f432605.jpg

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wild Buy Out Suter & Parise in July Surprise

I offer my thoughts on the buyouts of Parise & Suter.  Not really the day I hoped to spend on vacation, but it is what it is.  Enjoy and keep discussing...

Suter literally HUNG UP on BG?!???  I REALLY hate that guy.  What a jackass.jpg.ac026212c32adb916f1e0c2ffcf2a530.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

Well, gents; here I am 846577816_seniormanknuckles.jpg.c9411a43f48a0e014493f747d5d7e988.jpg  This is mid celebration.  I am now out of gas, so I called CL and BG and profusely thanked them after 9 years of bitter suffering.  A new AGE has arrived without the malcontent country club.  Parise looked like he got kicked in the nuts on the news - should have thought about that when you contributed towards creating the toxic culture that ruined younger players and ran them out of town.  My guess is that the two self-important jag-offs refused to waive their NMC/NTC, and BG showed them the door for the good of the franchise - FINALLY.  Now, let's move forward towards building a complete team, starting with a solid draft....

Bonus Picture

2007515227_oldmanslowwalk.jpg.0e557368324cfef4cb548dc7b16de0b2.jpg.   Earlier in the day.  I tired myself out from a joyful marathon and put on some drawers complete with courtesy black socks to walk back to the abode.

I don't think Parise sounded like he was that devastated at all.  Like Russo said, he sounded relieved.  He had a miserable year and now is looking forward to having a chance with someone else.  Suter on the other hand.  Yea, he got kicked in the nuts, and he probably felt betrayed that his buddy...Craig Leipold didn't call him first which is probably why he ended up hanging up on Bill Guerin.  

• Like 1

I suppose if Suter had been a healthy scratch similar to Parise at times, He may have not been so shocked by it.
Was Ryan so confident in himself that even after many meetings with BG that they may have been about His  play and not others??

I would think they're both relieved to be released and the hard choice has been done for them. Do they even really still want to play anymore?
Watching the PO's and Shea Weber working his A$$ off is a far cry from his old buddy Suter and his coasting.

• Like 1

24 hours later, it's still hard to believe. The cap recapture is a pain in the àss but I think it's a harsh but necessary cure for the Wild as a major step to move forward and change the team's culture.

It's like going to your oncologist who basically says to you: "Ok Mister Wild, you've been suffering for years but now I can officially tell that you are out of this ****. However, the recovery will be a long process and please don't burn any steps of it."

59 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Watching the PO's and Shea Weber working his A$$ off is a far cry from his old buddy Suter and his coasting

Good point. Not the same style but now as you mention it, the difference is so dramatic.

• Like 2

My main beef with Suter was he wouldn't clear guys from the net. Just relying on being 'Positionally strong'. 😛

I'm sure it was a shock to him but to hang up on BG is ridiculous. It's BG's job to inform players not your personal buddy/Owner.

• Like 3

Hello Wild fans! First post as I just found this site. Looking forward to being a regular visitor and hanging out with you. 

I’ll chime in and say that I’m pleased and impressed with the move BG made yesterday. It’s time to look to the future and get young, more athletic and skillful. I’m excited about this move even with the cap implications after this coming season. It was time for Parise to go for sure and Suter is too slow for today’s game and where it is headed. It’s going to be an interesting month of July.

• Like 1

I just don't understand how this saves any money the next couple of years? What am I missing? Seems like their cap hit is the same 2-4 years as it is now all we get is this years savings so unless the cap goes up, which sounds like it wont, we have to shed salary again? 

1 hour ago, TonyOday said:

I just don't understand how this saves any money the next couple of years? What am I missing? Seems like their cap hit is the same 2-4 years as it is now all we get is this years savings so unless the cap goes up, which sounds like it wont, we have to shed salary again? 

It’s going to be a challenge for sure. The only big money contract coming off the books next year at first glance is Rask at $4M, but are you resigning him?? And while I’m glad they have found a way to keep Dumba for now, don’t discount trading him at some point in the future if Addison and Mennell, if signed, develope like they are hoping. You could get some young, cheap pieces back for him at some point IF you wanted and remove close to $6M in cap space when you.

1 hour ago, TallyTigerShark said:

It’s going to be a challenge for sure. The only big money contract coming off the books next year at first glance is Rask at $4M, but are you resigning him?? And while I’m glad they have found a way to keep Dumba for now, don’t discount trading him at some point in the future if Addison and Mennell, if signed, develope like they are hoping. You could get some young, cheap pieces back for him at some point IF you wanted and remove close to $6M in cap space when you.

I guess that is my thought, there is NO room to add a top 6 Center. 

I think they are going to Protect Soucy in the Draft rather than Dumba, they will do this to force the Kraken to take Rask...a guy can dream ;)

3 hours ago, TonyOday said:

I guess that is my thought, there is NO room to add a top 6 Center. 

I think they are going to Protect Soucy in the Draft rather than Dumba, they will do this to force the Kraken to take Rask...a guy can dream ;)

I don’t know about Soucy over Dumba. I believe BG protects Dumba. But I would not be shocked to see Sturm on the protected list and Rask exposed. While I’ll bet in private BG doesn’t want to loose Rask, the Kraken taking him saves another $4M in cap space.

12 minutes ago, TallyTigerShark said:

I don’t know about Soucy over Dumba. I believe BG protects Dumba. But I would not be shocked to see Sturm on the protected list and Rask exposed. While I’ll bet in private BG doesn’t want to loose Rask, the Kraken taking him saves another $4M in cap space.

With big cap penalties the Wild will be facing the next four years due to the buyouts, Minnesota will NEED low cost, but GOOD, players to round out the roster to help bolster the higher end talent the team would like to keep on board.

With that in mind, protecting Nico Sturm over Victor Rask would absolutely be the right move.
Sturm is younger (26 v 28), much less expensive (725K vs 4M), is better defensively, better face off man, and while Rask's offensive numbers are a bit better, Rask still is nowhere near "keeper quality" offensively, and Sturm, even with limited time played, isn't that far off from him and probably benefits from more playing time.

Make no mistake...I am not suggesting Nico Sturm will be the center that cures what ails the Wild, but if we are talking a straight up comparison between these two players, I take Sturm over Rask all day long.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

21 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

I suppose if Suter had been a healthy scratch similar to Parise at times, He may have not been so shocked by it.
Was Ryan so confident in himself that even after many meetings with BG that they may have been about His  play and not others??

I would think they're both relieved to be released and the hard choice has been done for them. Do they even really still want to play anymore?
Watching the PO's and Shea Weber working his A$$ off is a far cry from his old buddy Suter and his coasting.

Suter lived in his own world.  He thought he had a separate set of rules for him and then a more extensive set of rules / expectations for everyone else.  I think he felt very very comfortable.  Sure, his ice time had been reduced a bit, but it wasn't like he was being relegate to the 3rd pairing or as you said made to be a healthy scratch.  

However, like TallyShark mentioned I think his game was showing signs of decline.  IMO, he seemed to be struggle with the speed of the game.  Yet, I think he also liked to call Craig when he had issues with the coaching / role, etc.  Perhaps Craig finally started to come around on the idea that the problem wasn't the coaches or how he was being used but rather the player who felt entitled.  We'll probably never know the full story on that.  Either way, he was bought out because they wanted to shatter the 'country club' group once and for all.  

As for the savings.  Yea, its minimal...and even punitive for the 3 seasons after this upcoming year.  However, like Guerin said...it opens up some spots on the roster for younger players to play in a bigger role.  Did we really want to keep a Top 4 defense spot for Suter at 38 or 39 just because he'd throw a fit at being demoted?  

Did we really want an unhappy winger who we play occasionally at $7.5 million?  Why waste a roster spot on that.  No one was going to trade for him.  

Not to mention, a big part of this was the potential for cap recapture.  If the Wild traded Suter or Parise and they went to whatever new team(s) and then didn't like their new role, etc and said screw this I'm retiring the team would be on the hook for cap recapture penalties.  That would also hold true if we traded them and that new team bought them out.  So the Wild were between a rock and a hard place.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TallyTigerShark said:

Soucy will be the one left unprotected between those two.  And unless Ron Francis really really wants to be reunited with Victor Rask I'd guess they'll take Soucy or Kahkonen.  

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

a big part of this was the potential for cap recapture.  If the Wild traded Suter or Parise and they went to whatever new team(s) and then didn't like their new role, etc and said screw this I'm retiring the team would be on the hook for cap recapture penalties.  That would also hold true if we traded them and that new team bought them out.  So the Wild were between a rock and a hard place.    

It would be nice to have this whole paragraph more common knowledge for the various forums. It would save a lot of time and effort on those who say "Just Trade X and Y"
They make it sound so simple.😁

Did Parise and Suter actually think Seattle would pick one of them and their contracts? Had they just waived the clause, They'd still be here. A win-win for them.
Oops, Get greedy for yourself and not think of the team...Win-Win for Us. 
Either way I'll bet Guerin had this cooking for a while and just needed Leopold's approval. 
I wonder how that phone call went between Suter and Craig. 

36 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Did Parise and Suter actually think Seattle would pick one of them and their contracts? Had they just waived the clause, They'd still be here. A win-win for them.

From an outside perspective, I think this was more about the team making roster space and not having the distraction. Having one $7.5M cap hit being a borderline scratch and the other one beginning to show signs of decline, opening up space for younger, cheaper, (better?) players was the focus.

This may have happened a year early due to the expansion draft which was certainly not on anyone's mind then the contracts were signed. I still believe the $4M in payments over the past four years were designed to be "buyoutable" in a world where "cap recapture" hadn't been fully realized. It also just happened to coincide with them both turning 38...

In that context, not waiving the clause may have crystallized the decision, but it was IMO in the works the entire time. Neither the players nor the team expected to last the 12 year length of the deal. The players got the money, the organization didn't reap the benefits of the circumvention.

• Good Post 1

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Suter lived in his own world.  He thought he had a separate set of rules for him and then a more extensive set of rules / expectations for everyone else. 

Wow sounds like he would make the perfect Flyer he could just join the country club here...

:bonkingheadonwall: