Parise and Suter bought out

Brewin Flames

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow sounds like he would make the perfect Flyer he could just join the country club here...

:bonkingheadonwall:

Ink wasn't even dry on the buyout notice and Broad Street Hockey was banging the "Suter to Philadelphia" drum.

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2021/7/13/22575570/philadelphia-flyers-nhl-free-agency-ryan-suter-give-him-to-me-please-minnesota-wild-buyout

Seriously, it was "Breaking News" at 11:41AM and that article went up at 12:57PM.

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Ink wasn't even dry on the buyout notice and Broad Street Hockey was banging the "Suter to Philadelphia" drum.

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2021/7/13/22575570/philadelphia-flyers-nhl-free-agency-ryan-suter-give-him-to-me-please-minnesota-wild-buyout

Seriously, it was "Breaking News" at 11:41AM and that article went up at 12:57PM.

Yeah and even Eklund threw up a rumor always going after the low hanging fruit...SMH.

I'm not sure how they think this guy would help the Flyer's situation.

They need a RH shot for the top pair and maybe another defender (not named Suter).

I'm not shocked they are linking Parise to Philly too because of Chuckles.

It may still come around to a whisper of it... :BrownBag:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not shocked they are linking Parise to Philly too because of Chuckles.

"These guys just got run out of Minnesota. Better sign them to bring that winning culture to Philadelphia!"

Obama Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

"These guys just got run out of Minnesota. Better sign them to bring that winning culture to Philadelphia!"

Obama Reaction GIF

I'm scared if Chuckles strikes out in free agency this will be his plan B....

Parise and Suter get "run out of town" like villains. As I've said before, GMs in the NHL never have to clean up their own mess. Long gone when **** hits the fan. Owner? Not his (their?) fault. Fans, hey you asked us to do this. Didn't you? Blame the players. Agents? Hey they don't make the rules. The NHL, um, well the league has always operated on the fly. Minnesota's rebuild might not even begin for another decade.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, radoran said:

Taken from comment section:

Minnesota Wild connection with CF? Check
Defensively responsible? Check
Able to model correct D behavior for young D-men? Check
Shorter contract than Hamilton, but longer than Jones? Check
Right-handed? No (can’t have everything).

As long as it is no more than 6*4, this would be a win. A big win. Sign the contract the day after the draft, CF. Maybe even protect JVR.

And first response:

Point three is important.

Baby Lol GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lonkkis said:

Taken from comment section:

Never - and I mean never - read the Comments Section.

These people want to hand Suter - turning 37 in January - $6M a year for four years?? And that's a win!?!?

Tom Hiddleston Sigh GIF

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

2 hours ago, Icechipper said:

As I've said before, GMs in the NHL never have to clean up their own mess. Long gone when **** hits the fan.

You know what's worse?

When they are still "Senior Hockey Advisers" to the organization* that "fired" them.

Paul Holmgren (@RTHL_Flyers) | Twitter

• Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

B?

Yes - i hope not but yes - i mean he did sign Gustafsson like they never had tape on his or something to you know actually scout before offering a contract...hell they were better off with Coburn at 36 than Gus.

4 hours ago, radoran said:

You know what's worse?

When they are still "Senior Hockey Advisers" to the organization* that "fired" them.

Paul Holmgren (@RTHL_Flyers) | Twitter

He looks someone took his abacus. Please return it.

I don't care what happens to Suter.  If you want to ponder his potential future in Philadelphia, please do so over there.  

No one cares about him here.  You want a defenseman who throws weak wrist shots and takes his time slowly skating in his own end to retrieve pucks...just sign him and you can 'enjoy' what we endured for 9 years.  

I heard all kinds of fans across the league call in to NHL's XM radio shows to talk how they felt Suter could help them.  Sure...whatever floats your boat.  Careful what you wish for.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

11 hours ago, FD19372 said:

He looks someone took his abacus. Please return it.

I think he's trying to figure out what to do after someone put an X in the middle square as their first move.

:hocky:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I don't care what happens to Suter.  If you want to ponder his potential future in Philadelphia, please do so over there.  

No one cares about him here.  You want a defenseman who throws weak wrist shots and takes his time slowly skating in his own end to retrieve pucks...just sign him and you can 'enjoy' what we endured for 9 years.  

I heard all kinds of fans across the league call in to NHL's XM radio shows to talk how they felt Suter could help them.  Sure...whatever floats your boat.  Careful what you wish for.  

Case and point!

I do not wish to have a once good but certainly overrated guy "willie mays-ing" around our defensive zone for 18 minutes a nite for next 4 years. 

Hard ****** pass.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Case and point!

I do not wish to have a once good but certainly overrated guy "willie mays-ing" around our defensive zone for 18 minutes a nite for next 4 years. 

Hard ****** pass.

He's not completely worthless.  But he more or less could still dictate his ice time and role while he was here.  He won't probably be able to do the same wherever he goes.  While I understand from the outside he would seem like a tempting free agent, trust me...its not all bliss.  He had a lot of 2nd assists (i.e. osmosis points).  

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

20 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

He had a lot of 2nd assists (i.e. osmosis points).  

Bingo. Suter apologists would whip out the "he leads the team in assists" line any time someone dared to say anything negative realistic about #20. I wonder how many of them noticed the assist totals plummet after he lost his secondary assist meal ticket (*cough* Granlund) 

Suter might be a serviceable roster addition for a team with holes in their blue line, but like C&A and other posters have noted, I would not expect anything big from him if I were a fan of the team that picks him up. This goes double if that team decides to use Suter on the PP: the guy is no threat to shoot - or do much else other than dump the puck off to a winger on the half wall - so he in effect turns a power play into a de facto 4 on 4 situation. 

Parise, on the other hand, probably has a couple more useful seasons in him if he can stay healthy. Though that's a big "if". At any rate, #11 showed something resembling hustle and effort on the ice, and showed genuine joy when a teammate scored: at least the guy made some attempt to earn his boat anchor contract. Suter, not so much: he was almost always the last guy to join the celebration after a goal, and after a half-hearted helmet pat or two, the first to leave (probably headed to the scorer's table to beg for an osmosis point...)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, McMahon 6 said:

Bingo. Suter apologists would whip out the "he leads the team in assists" line any time someone dared to say anything negative realistic about #20. I wonder how many of them noticed the assist totals plummet after he lost his secondary assist meal ticket (*cough* Granlund) 

Suter might be a serviceable roster addition for a team with holes in their blue line, but like C&A and other posters have noted, I would not expect anything big from him if I were a fan of the team that picks him up. This goes double if that team decides to use Suter on the PP: the guy is no threat to shoot - or do much else other than dump the puck off to a winger on the half wall - so he in effect turns a power play into a de facto 4 on 4 situation. 

Parise, on the other hand, probably has a couple more useful seasons in him if he can stay healthy. Though that's a big "if". At any rate, #11 showed something resembling hustle and effort on the ice, and showed genuine joy when a teammate scored: at least the guy made some attempt to earn his boat anchor contract. Suter, not so much: he was almost always the last guy to join the celebration after a goal, and after a half-hearted helmet pat or two, the first to leave (probably headed to the scorer's table to beg for an osmosis point...)

Parise...I kind of disagree.  There were times when Zucker or other young players were doing well scoring-wise and I could sense a lot of envy and jealousy from #11.  Remember the whole "flyby's are juvenile" rant he went on?  While I think he hustled last year in the games he played, he also had long stretches last season where the game was moving a helluva lot faster than he could go.  Like I heard discussed ad nauseum on a 5-hour car ride this weekend from up north, if Parise expects to be in someone's Top 6 he's going to be very disappointed.  He'll be lucky if he can be a bottom 6 winger who can get some power play time.  IMO, you'd limit him to 12-14 minutes per game and I'd probably keep him on the bench for OT.   I also think the rest he got from being a healthy scratch gave him the energy to go out and play his game.  But if you're playing him every night, his legs just can't keep up that energy level anymore.

As for Suter, he can probably still be a 2nd pairing defenseman somewhere.  But McMahon's right, he's no threat to score on the power play.  Teams would back off of him because they wanted him to shoot the puck (usually a weak wrist shot) and his puck distribution was pretty basic.  Then when he'd get bored and try to send some centering pass from beneath the dot...he didn't have the wheels to get back if there was a turnover.  IMO, his skating got at least a half step to a full step slower last year.  Despite all of the lame crap about farm strength...he doesn't eliminate opposing forwards on the occasion he decides to take the body and he seemed to lose a lot of physical battles near the crease too.  

Suter does hold the offensive zone ok, but IMO it still isn't good enough for any competent club to want to give him top power play time.  However I think he's going to get a 2-3 year deal from some team and maybe as high as $3 million per season.  There were so many fans across the league that seem to think he's the panacea for all of their troubles.  If they only knew...

• Like 2

Suter might pay Chicago to take him. The city is even closer to Madison (where Suter is an owner of the Madison Caps of the USHL) than St. Paul. Seriously though good fit. So the Wild have not seen the last of Suter. He'll be visiting often.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Suter might pay Chicago to take him. The city is even closer to Madison (where Suter is an owner of the Madison Caps of the USHL) than St. Paul. Seriously though good fit. So the Wild have not seen the last of Suter. He'll be visiting often.

That was my thought I posted about earlier in this thread.

I could see him going to a team like Chicago to help stabilize the Hawk blueline, even if only in a middling role, as they have a need for another veteran D after moving Keith out.
Lots of defenseman under the age of 27 over there and quite a few just 24 or younger.

Signing with the Hawks keeps him closest to home and, like any player traded, bought out, or otherwise discarded, I am sure he'd love a chance to stick it to the Wild as often as possible.

Other possibilities for him, keeping with trying to stay close to home, could be Colorado, St. Louis, or Winnipeg if he is willing to play north of the border.
Of course, NONE of the teams mentioned, including Chicago, may have an interest in him after all and he may be forced to look further out for work if he wants to keep playing.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 3

I wonder if fans at the X will boo Suter like they still do in Nashville. Personally, I'd love to see him in a Blackhawks sweater, or anyone else in our division for that matter. The Kaprisovs, Fialas and EEKs of the world must be licking their chops at the thought be being "defended" by #20.

I would make a decent sized wager that our PP stats improve considerably this coming season. Not only have we shed the dead weight that made our PP a de facto 4 on 4, but if whoever signs Suter puts him out on the PK, he'll save us the trouble of setting up screens in front of the net with his fire hydrant / pylon "positional strength". I kinda feel sorry for the goalie who has to spend 15-20 minutes a game staring at his backside from two feet away.

Can't wait for hockey season to start. Thanks to Bill Guerin, the country club days of inmates running the asylum are gone. And it's looking like the days of has-beens like Pominville, Heatley and Vanek coming to Minnesota for one final pre-retirement payday are history as well. If BG can use smoke and mirrors to keep the nucleus of the franchise intact for the three cap-lean years coming up, he'll have good cards in his hand, and lots of chips to play with. *

GO WILD!!!

* "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."

Winston Churchill

• Like 2

On 7/18/2021 at 4:51 PM, Tomdog said:

Yea I don't think there will be as much demand for Ryan as some would think, and anyone with any speed at all will love skating by the waving stick.

Or the opposite could be true.
Could be more interest than some think.

It will really come down to Suter himself.
If he can get over being bought out and possibly playing further away from home than he would prefer, focus himself on hockey, he could still make a more than serviceable, experienced defenseman for a team needing to fill a 2nd or 3rd pair role.

Obviously there wouldn't be an interest in slotting him in as a top pair guy or on a team that is in total rebuild mode, as he wouldn't fit the criteria of 'building block', but I think he will get work and could do well if he puts everything else aside and sets his mind to what he is doing.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 4:28 PM, McMahon 6 said:

I wonder if fans at the X will boo Suter like they still do in Nashville. Personally, I'd love to see him in a Blackhawks sweater, or anyone else in our division for that matter. The Kaprisovs, Fialas and EEKs of the world must be licking their chops at the thought be being "defended" by #20.

I would make a decent sized wager that our PP stats improve considerably this coming season. Not only have we shed the dead weight that made our PP a de facto 4 on 4, but if whoever signs Suter puts him out on the PK, he'll save us the trouble of setting up screens in front of the net with his fire hydrant / pylon "positional strength". I kinda feel sorry for the goalie who has to spend 15-20 minutes a game staring at his backside from two feet away.

Can't wait for hockey season to start. Thanks to Bill Guerin, the country club days of inmates running the asylum are gone. And it's looking like the days of has-beens like Pominville, Heatley and Vanek coming to Minnesota for one final pre-retirement payday are history as well. If BG can use smoke and mirrors to keep the nucleus of the franchise intact for the three cap-lean years coming up, he'll have good cards in his hand, and lots of chips to play with. *

GO WILD!!!

* "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."

Winston Churchill

It's funny you mention him potentially playing for the Blackhawks.  When I heard that name bantered as a possible destination for him on the 5-hour car ride, I said to my wife that'd be perfect.  He'd even have Secord's number and we could bring back the chant!  

Seriously though...I don't care where either of them ends up.  Last night on NHL Tonight, they were talking about the Islanders picking up #11 & #20...that would reunite Parise with Lamiorello and Suter with Trotz.  I like the Islanders, but if that happened that may have to end for a few years until they finally retire.  

Anyways...

I was never a fan of the 'victory lap' season we seemed to want to give players that had some kind of connection to Minnesota.  Cullen should've called it quits after the back-to-back cups, but he decided to give Minnesota one last chance and I don't think it was a fun season for him.  Vanek...meh.  Heatley, not one of us, but you know what.  I don't think that one was really about sentimentality, it was because we hoped he'd find what he seemed to have lost.  Besides, Martin Havlat didn't seem to want to be here at all, for whatever reason.  

I haven't heard anything bad about Dany Heatley in his time with the Wild as far as in the room stuff goes.  By all accounts he didn't complain, even as his on-ice role started to be reduced.  Same with Owen Nolan, who I think actually played pretty well for the Wild.  

I have nothing really bad to say about Bill Guerin yet, which after two seasons is pretty good.  The lesser talked about aspect of the buyout is that maybe his biggest achievement hasn't been this buyout, but rather his ability to get Craig Leipold on board to seeing this club for what it really is and not what the country club would have had him believe.  The buyout is simply the culmination of that culture change Guerin started working on probably around the Jason Zucker trade.  Because if Craig didn't accept it, you know it would not have happened.  

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1