Confirmed: Ellis traded to Flyers for Myers / Patrick

mkscrewy

11 minutes ago, Earle'sGaffe said:

Interesting. Most prognosticators had the Flyers protecting Patrick. Wonder who gets that last spot now? 

Rumor or tweet suggest it will be JVR.

This will be telling now if they leave Jake unprotected.

Guess we'll see.

One half of the Charmin Twins gone...

5 minutes ago, Earle'sGaffe said:

Interesting. Most prognosticators had the Flyers protecting Patrick. Wonder who gets that last spot now? 

It won't surprise me if they use that final spot on NAK and expose the two big contracts in JVR and Voracek. Gotta admit, Schmuck didn't get fleeced and if they free up money in JVR or Voracek being taken, that could mean that they sign a guy like Adam Larsson to play on the second pairing with Sanheim. I could live with that. Sign a goalie like Bernier to back up Hart and the Flyers might look to be in decent shape. Don't screw this up, Chuck. You've done pretty well so far.

• Good Post 1

Just now, mkscrewy said:

This happened as I was literally about to post this picture of Chuck.

8174739.jpeg.e4caf3538f7bb6d1fcaabd5325e6899a.jpeg

Maybe Kelly McCrimmon thinks he can resurrect Nolan's career he was his junior coach with the Wheat Kings.

Who knows he is now someone else's headache...no pun intended....

:bigteeth:

Just now, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I’m OK with losing Patrick, but I didn’t want to lose Myers.  Glad that Ellis is coming to Philly, though.  We’ll have to see if the defense is markedly better this coming season.

Not only the defense, but now AV has no choice but to use Frost. He'll also be surrounded with good talent (I'm predicting Lindblom and Laughton will be his wingers), so he won't take a beating that a typical center would take. I'd love to see an all kid line of Farabee - Frost - Konecny, but AV doesn't have the stones to do something like that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I’m OK with losing Patrick, but I didn’t want to lose Myers.  Glad that Ellis is coming to Philly, though.  We’ll have to see if the defense is markedly better this coming season.

I felt they may move Myers while his stock was still decent the kid struggled big time last year and his lack of physical play is what really shocked me I knew Sanheim wasn't that type but Myers was too big and strong to be that soft.

I think a change of scenery will do them some good maybe.

Now on to see what happens in the expansion draft.

And Chuckles still has the 13th pick.

A win so far. Now if they can get another right hand shot for the defense....

:PopcornSmiley2:

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

Great move and a top 5 Right handed D man in this league. Hard to come by those kinda guys.

Yes and averaged 23 minutes a night for the last 5 years.

So now who will they try to target?

Larsson? Montour?

Jones refusing to sign an extension is why  Myers and Patrick aren't blue jackets I am willing to bet.

Bullet dodged I think.

Rumor has it Jones wants between 8-9 mill per season.

Hard pass.

5 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Ellis is not a physical presence. That's not his game. He relies on smarts and positioning. Very nice hard accurate shot from the point and above average skater. 

That is what Provy needs. He'll handle the rest.

5 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Will miss Myers but he just did not look like he was ready to take the next step in his development.

Yeah the playoff years opened my eyes to this and then last year it just got even worse.

He may never get there. I wish him well.

6 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Patrick might have upside, but his work ethic left a lot to be desired.

Yeah I am glad this is over.

Pressure will be on him in Vegas with the way they have played since coming on the scene no excuse not to bring it anymore.

Now another right hand shot and a backup goalie to add soon I hope.

1 minute ago, flyer4ever said:

Hey heres an idea. Lets get older and smaller and tighter to the cap with another burnt out 30 year old. If anyone was wondering if Chuck was a f*#king loser he just removed all doubt. Welcome to Loserville Ryan. 

Wow guy hasn't even laced em up...

:hithead:

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow guy hasn't even laced em up...

:hithead:

He does have a valid point age wise. The big question is just when would a potential Flyers championship window open and will Ellis still be playing at a high level when said window opens. Its not like Ryan has never been injured either. I view it as an acceptable risk, but a risk nonetheless.

• Like 1

This feels like Timonen all over again. Timonen was the same age when the Flyers acquired him. As much as it hurts giving up Myers,  the pipeline still has York, Zamula, Attard, Wylie, Hogberg, Millman, and whoever they draft this year. It's not completely devoid of talent.

I suspect that Larsson will probably be the target for the second pairing, provided that Voracek or JVR are selected by the Kraken and/ or moved in a trade. 

This is a legitimate good move. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes and averaged 23 minutes a night for the last 5 years.

So now who will they try to target?

Larsson? Montour?

Jones refusing to sign an extension is why  Myers and Patrick aren't blue jackets I am willing to bet.

Bullet dodged I think.

Rumor has it Jones wants between 8-9 mill per season.

Hard pass.

That is what Provy needs. He'll handle the rest.

Yeah the playoff years opened my eyes to this and then last year it just got even worse.

He may never get there. I wish him well.

Yeah I am glad this is over.

Pressure will be on him in Vegas with the way they have played since coming on the scene no excuse not to bring it anymore.

Now another right hand shot and a backup goalie to add soon I hope.

Jones was THE worst NHL D man at allowing easy defensive zone entry. Let someone else pay 8 mill a year to have your team be super easy to play against!! Hard pass does not cover it!!

Montour would be a nice cost efficient addition. 

• Like 2

He does have a valid point age wise. The big question is just when would a potential Flyers championship window open and will Ellis still be playing at a high level when said window opens. Its not like Ryan has never been injured either. I view it as an acceptable risk, but a risk nonetheless.

He is younger than Niskanen (33) when he got to Philly and Kimmo Timonen (32) was two years older than Ellis when he got to Philly.

You just can't make some fans happy no matter what.

I am going to let him play first.

But I'm happy I wanted Ellis in Philly and have been lobbying for a while now.

They need some older experienced guys to play the Shepard role and Ellis fits the bill.

He brings 74 games of playoff experience as well as Stanely Cup run to Philly.

I'm happy so far.

• Like 4

Jones was THE worst NHL D man at allowing easy defensive zone entry. Let someone else pay 8 mill a year to have your team be super easy to play against!! Hard pass does not cover it!!

Montour would be a nice cost efficient addition. 

Well said.

Larsson is the physical presence they need and is so good along the boards.

Seems like the perfect partner for Travis so he can do his thing.

Montour would be my other option if Larsson goes elsewhere.

• Like 2