Confirmed: Ellis traded to Flyers for Myers / Patrick

mkscrewy

4 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

If Ellis is another Timo you won't hear me bitching.

Kimmo helped raise Weber and Weber helped raise Ellis.

Every blue line needs an elder statesman.

But there will many who won't be happy.

Ellis wore #4 for the Preds. That is obviously not happening in Philly, retired for Barry Ashbee. I'm thinking he might give #44 a go. Big improvement over Ron (Flocky-hockey) Flockhart and Brandon Manning!

Just now, jammer2 said:

Ellis wore #4 for the Preds. That is obviously not happening in Philly, retired for Barry Ashbee. I'm thinking he might give #44 a go. Big improvement over Ron (Flocky-hockey) Flockhart and Brandon Manning!

Kimmo would approve. #irony

As a Flyer fan (Rono): THANK YOU, CHUCK! I'm so glad you didn't acquire Seth Jones. Ryan Ellis is much, much better option in my eyes! Thank you so much again!

26 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Now let's see Brandon Montour brought in for for 4 x 3.5-4.5 ish and the blue line is set for the next 6 years.

Would love to see Montour signed!! Really underrated and would solidify the 2nd pp unit. 

• Like 1

• pilldoc changed the title to Confirmed: Ellis traded to Flyers for Myers / Patrick

Projection:

1) Expansion Protection List vacancy (from Patrick) will be filled with NAK - - not JVR. Therefore the Exposed List will include - 
Voracek (8.25M Cap Hit), JVR (7M Cap Hit), and Ghost (4.5M Cap Hit).

- Fletcher will hope Voracek or JVR is selected by Seattle, and he would reap significant valuable Cap Space for his next move.

2) Sign another RH/RD from the UFA ranks when Free Agency opens on July 28.

One of these:

- Dougie Hamilton, age 28, 6'-6", 227, RH/RD, UFA, probable Cap Hit 9M, excellent in all zones

- Adam Larsson, age 28, 6'-3", 208, RH/RD, UFA, currently 2nd pairing, probable Cap Hit 4.5M

- David Savard, age 30, 6'-2", 233, RH/RD, UFA, probable Cap Hit 5.5M, strong in D-zone, physical, top-pairing defenceman borderline

- Cody Ceci, age 27, 6'-2", 210, RH/RD, UFA, currently 2nd pairing, probable Cap Hit 6M

- Brandon Montour, age 27, 6'-0", 194, RH/RD, UFA, current Cap Hit 3.85M, shot-blocker, slick puck-mover

The addition of defencemen Ellis plus Xxxxxx from above would significantly improve our Flyers.

How about:

Provorov - Ellis (RH)
Sanheim - Larsson (RH)
York - Braun (RH)
Morin
Hagg

Hart
Goalie #2

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Xxxxxxx-Hayes-Farabee
Lindblom-Frost-Allison
Laughton-Laczynski-NAK

Voracek, JVR, Ghost - - gone.

LW Xxxxxxx = via trade that includes Voracek or JVR or Ghost (based on who Seattle selects) - or - UFA LW Hyman

Edited by Zzeke

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

This feels like Timonen all over again. Timonen was the same age when the Flyers acquired him. As much as it hurts giving up Myers,  the pipeline still has York, Zamula, Attard, Wylie, Hogberg, Millman, and whoever they draft this year. It's not completely devoid of talent.

I suspect that Larsson will probably be the target for the second pairing, provided that Voracek or JVR are selected by the Kraken and/ or moved in a trade. 

This is a legitimate good move. 

I hope you're right, I like the trade Ellis will help Provorov improve his game. Now we'll see what else Fletcher has up his sleeve.

• Like 1

Great move. Gave up little and gained a lot.

This is one reason you stock a cupboard of young prospects - to make a serious move to get your team to another level.

If they do replace Vee with a top tier forward they're in much better shape - and a much different team - than this year.

I'm wondering if this is also Fletch evaluating Gee before an extension. We've given you your shot. Make it happen.

In other news, may have picked a bad year to go all in on Saros in FHL...

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

Is this real?

OK, so now we still need another defenseman to pair with Sanheim. Let’s hope it’s an UFA and we don’t have to give up any assets , so we can use them to trade for a goal scorer. If we get rid of Jake and JVR we are gonna need to make up for some offense. We really need Farabee , Lindblom and Konecny to take it up another level and somebody like Frost or Allison to come in and have a big rookie season.

• Like 2

I do love the trade, but part of the reason we got Ryan relatively cheap was he has missed 58 games with injury the past 3 years. Maybe the injuries go away, but risk involved with a 30 year old that has shown a propensity for injury...just saying. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

They didn't give up a ton, but I would be very worried about Ellis with the amount of tread on his tires and the recent dip in effectiveness.

He's 30.

He is coming off an injury, sure.

This isn't 37 year old Ryan Suter. Coming to stumble-bum around while getting 2 bags.

This is a top 5 RHD in his prime.

If Myers' career reaches it's full potential he still might not be a better player than Ellis is right now.

Patrick?...pfft, i hope he can play pro hockey if that's what he wants.

This team won't miss what he was bringing to rink.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I do love the trade, but part of the reason we got Ryan relatively cheap was he has missed 58 games with injury the past 3 years. Maybe the injuries go away, but risk involved with a 30 year old that has shown a propensity for injury...just saying. 

When you have a chance to get a top pair defenseman for a 5th or 6th D man and a potential bust who doesn't want to be here you run with it.

Plus this opens up a chance for Frost. 

There isn't a trade in hockey that isn't a risk.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The primary reason is the fire sale in Nashville.

I get the "injury" aspect and if this was an older guy i would be more worried.

Guy had 38 points in 49 games before the world ended.

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

When you have a chance to get a top pair defenseman for a 5th or 6th D man and a potential bust who doesn't want to be here you run with it.

Plus this opens up a chance for Frost. 

There isn't a trade in hockey that isn't a risk.

Agreed. I accept the risk. Just bringing up the 58 games due to injury to get proper context on the deal, nobody else mentioned it.