Confirmed: Ellis traded to Flyers for Myers / Patrick

mkscrewy

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

But I'm happy I wanted Ellis in Philly and have been lobbying for a while now

I was reading all the posts and was going to make this same comment to you. You have been advocating for this. Good call on your part

I like the move. And I seriously hope they protect NAK now

• Like 2

Well Ellis is the best player now in the trade so this makes the Flyers better. RHer who's had a nice career and can help stabilize whatever the hell happened to our D last season. His contract is decent (as far as caphit) so we don't have to worry there, as long as he can stay healthy (which is a concern).

We lose a lot in potential, but we also have depth there to restock those positions. 

I fully expect Myers to blossom in the defenceman factory of Nashville. And wish all the best to Nolan Patrick.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@RonJeremy

David Savard or Brandon Montour can be had and improve the team by spending money only.

Sounds good to me. Ellis will be a big help but, I will bet that with the way Nashville develops defensemen, Meyers will turn into a great player. I kinda wish we traded Patrick for Glass and included someone else in the trade.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Meyers will turn into a great player.

If they can do something to speed up his mental process this is a possibility because right now he has the tools he just isn't very good doing anything with him.

And sometimes the speed of the game just exposes people and they just never make it at this level.

I wish the kid well. Right now the flock needs Ellis more.

Provorov, Sanheim, Zamula and York can greatly use the guidance Ivan the most of all.

Myers "potential" is what helped pry Ellis out of Nashville and if it wasn't for the expansion draft it would have cost much more. But the Preds would have more than likely just wanted to hang onto him but their cap issues got in the way.

Best plus-minus ratings among NHL defensemen over the last six seasons:

1. Ryan McDonagh — plus-112

1. Victor Hedman — plus-112

3. Zdeno Chara — plus-105

4. Ryan Ellis — plus-94

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 3

Myers' potential is significant.

No way should a dude that big be able to skate like that.

This past year his physical gifts weren't as evident because he was struggling to think the game.

Can that be coached out of him? Will he learn watching Josi? 

For his sake I hope so. 

I think people were tired of playing "let's see what happens here" with both Flyers in the trade.

If Myers ceiling becomes post smashed-face Brayden Coburn thats still an alright NHL player. But a little frustrating because freakish size and ability doesn't lead to a 24 minute a night stud. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Official #flyers protection list (7-3-1)

Protected: Aube-Kubel, Couturier, Giroux, Hayes, Konecny, Laughton, Lindblom, Ellis, Provorov, Sanheim, Hart.

Available: Voracek, van Riemsdyk, Braun, Gostisbehere, Hagg.
Edited by OccamsRazor

Flytcher did a good job here. I had a feeling a trade would happen before the ED. We got a great player for two unknown commodities. If the Flyers passed on this, and Myers and Patrick stayed the same, they would be bashed for another decade. Whats the real downside, that either turn out to be really good? Ok, so what. If Patrick dies, that tells me what he was here was because he didn't want to be here. That's not a player I want.

I think this is the first domino in a rebuild. And a really good one. I also think we might see another move to bring in a second d-man, and we will see a deal to move Jake out to Seattle. We will probably lose the 1st round pick. So be it. Im excited to see what comes next

• Like 2

As assumed, with Fletcher adding NAK to the Protected List vacancy, he puts more pressure on Seattle to select Voracek (8.25M), JVR (7M), or Ghost (4.5M), as he seeks more Cap Space for his next moves.

Of course, Seattle could select Hagg or Braun, but potentially NAK would have been prime for them.

Cap Space needed for:

- Hart (RFA)

- Sanheim (RFA)

- Morin (UFA)

- Goaltender #2 (UFA)

- Another UFA defenceman:

- Dougie Hamilton, age 28, 6'-6", 227, RH/RD, UFA, probable Cap Hit 9M, excellent in all zones

- Adam Larsson, age 28, 6'-3", 208, RH/RD, UFA, currently 2nd pairing, probable Cap Hit 4.5M

- David Savard, age 30, 6'-2", 233, RH/RD, UFA, probable Cap Hit 5.5M, strong in D-zone, top-pairing defenceman borderline

- Cody Ceci, age 27, 6'-2", 210, RH/RD, UFA, currently 2nd pairing, probable Cap Hit 6M

- Brandon Montour, age 27, 6'-0", 194, RH/RD, UFA, current Cap Hit 3.85M, shot-blocker, slick puck-mover, depth defenceman

@Zzeke

I dont see the Flyers going after a big FA signings. That puts all the eggs in one basket. I suspect moves that add another 2 pair guy, and they still need offensive help. I wonder what thier faith is in guys like Frost and Allison

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow that is just harsh.

Wonder what he would die from?

In Vegas anything can happen and it stays in Vegas.

:LiesSign:

Oops .....hahaha 

Total typo there

My thumbs are still asleep

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The writing is on the wall if he has another year like we just saw he might not be here long.

And we'll it would be his fault.

I bet AV would be blamed for it

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The writing is on the wall if he has another year like we just saw he might not be here long.

And we'll it would be his fault.

EVERYONE not named Farabee had a year like we just saw. NAK should be one of the least of our concerns. It's not like he's supposed to be a star on this team. He just needs to go back to his game and he'll be fine.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I bet AV would be blamed for it

I'm not putting it all on him because he isn't a long term coach on a team that hasn't wowed me in a long time. But it's rare for an entire team give up like that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

EVERYONE not named Farabee had a year like we just saw. NAK should be one of the least of our concerns. It's not like he's supposed to be a star on this team. He just needs to go back to his game and he'll be fine.

Yeah the country club lifestyle got to him.

He needs to shake it off and bring his lunch pail play back.

• Like 2