Confirmed: Ellis traded to Flyers for Myers / Patrick

mkscrewy

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm not putting it all on him because he isn't a long term coach on a team that hasn't wowed me in a long time. But it's rare for an entire team give up like that.

I was being facetious.  But your point is valid

5 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I was pleasantly surprised to look up Ellis' age and see he was 30 not 35. Lots of miles on those legs still, but a new team will likely put some jump back in his step. 

I wish Myers well. I do think he will be a good NHLer still.

Let’s hope that we balance out the defense enough so we can spread out the minutes so we don’t run Ellis into the ground like we did with Howe, Desjardins and Timmonem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:
Official #flyers protection list (7-3-1)

Protected: Aube-Kubel, Couturier, Giroux, Hayes, Konecny, Laughton, Lindblom, Ellis, Provorov, Sanheim, Hart.

Available: Voracek, van Riemsdyk, Braun, Gostisbehere, Hagg.

no surprises here.....  now lets see who the Kracken take.  I sincerely doubt they take Braun or Hagg.  I believe it is down to Jake / JVR / Ghost.  I'm praying for either Jake or JVR go in that that order.   I will personally drive Jake to Seattle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

@Zzeke

I dont see the Flyers going after a big FA signings. That puts all the eggs in one basket. I suspect moves that add another 2 pair guy, and they still need offensive help. I wonder what thier faith is in guys like Frost and Allison

I agree. Though a Hamilton could provide some offense from the defense.  I really like Hamilton, but way more than I want to pay for that role.    It may depend upon whether the Kraken take one of our bloated forwards or our tiny forward-wannabe defenseman.  Or door #3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

EVERYONE not named Farabee had a year like we just saw. NAK should be one of the least of our concerns. It's not like he's supposed to be a star on this team. He just needs to go back to his game and he'll be fine.

He may just be a stupid player.

Hope I'm wrong, but even stupid players can be valuable trade assets. 

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

I'm praying for either Jake or JVR go in that that order. 

From this screen to God's eyes.

If I had to choose it would Jake from State Farm headed West.

Flyers might have a chance to flip JVR next summer with one year left on his contract.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I agree. Though a Hamilton could provide some offense from the defense.  I really like Hamilton, but way more than I want to pay for that role.    It may depend upon whether the Kraken take one of our bloated forwards or our tiny forward-wannabe defenseman.  Or door #3.

I prefer Savard.

Larsson

Montour

In that order.

Alex Martinez if none of those guys want to come to Philly.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

He may just be a stupid player.

Hope I'm wrong, but even stupid players can be valuable trade assets. 

I hope he returns to what we saw the year before that left Chuckles confident he could let Pitlick walk.

Guess we'll see which is the real NAK.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I prefer Savard.

Larsson

Montour

In that order.

I worry about Savard. During his run with Tampa Bay, I think he only averaged 16 minutes of ice time per game.  I'd prefer Larsson from the simple standpoint that he plays 22 to 23 minutes a game,  plays a good tough game, is sharp defensively and is 2 years younger than Savard.  Montour would be the next choice because of his mobility. He turned his game around when he got to Florida as well. 

Gut feeling though is that Chuck wants to trade and free up some contract spaces. It won't surprise me to see Chuck make a trade and someone like Ratcliffe is packaged. I like the idea of a 6'6, 200+ pound forward that can skate and check and score,  but Ratcliffe hasn't done that. I get that the Flyers would be selling low if they moved on from him,  but he has to show something and he's shown nothing. Quite frankly,  I'm disappointed in his development.  Maybe part of that is due to the magnificent job of coaching that Scott Gordon did,  but I'd like to see what Laperriere can do with big Isaac. I'd Laperriere can't get through to him,  then it's time to move on. This is a big year for the kids. 

48 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

he only averaged 16 minutes of ice time per game.

Sure because the top four played big minutes.

He impressed me by stabilizing the bottom pair and making Sergachev look comfortable (exactly what Tampa wanted) kind of along the same lines I would love to see him do with Sanheim.

Us Flyers fans know about getting your bottom pair exposed see Ryan Parent and Karajek.

Travis needs someone who's how to cover his ass when he pinches.

Savard played big minutes in Columbus and helped Murray out alot.

But if Chuckles wants to go after the other two I like them as well. And Savard is a workhorse fireplug hard to knock off his skates. And now knows what it takes to get to the Cup abs win it bottom pair or not.

And the price tag could always persuade me to change my mind.

1 hour ago, otto12 said:

Speaking of a 2nd pair defenseman, the Flyers were too easy to play against this past season. Which of the d free agents is the most physical? That's were I'd go.

the 3 guys I'd like to see are all pretty physical. Savard, Larsson and Montour

Montour is the least physical of the trio but he'll still hit a guy and has some punk in his game.

Disagree with this tweet (below). Yes, Fletcher will probably not spend any valuable assets like Frost, Zamula, 1st Round pick, etc on a trade for the next defenceman acquisition such as Jones.

But, there is a high probability he fills the defense second-pairing vacancy with one of the UFA defenceman as he gains the valuable Cap Space by losing JVR (7M) to Seattle and potentially finds a way to move Voracek (8.25M) and/or Ghost (4M). 

Therefore, Hamilton may be in play if Fletcher gets the Cap Space.

Provorov - Hamilton* (RH)

Sanheim - Ellis (RH)

York - Braun (RH)

Hagg

Morin

* or one of the other RH UFAs: Larsson, Savard, Ceci, or Montour (they would be 2nd pairing).

At this point, we don't bet against Fletcher.

Edited by Zzeke

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I prefer Savard.

Larsson

Montour

In that order.

I think if I were to put them in order for me:

Larsson

Montour

Barrie

Olekaiak  (not an RD)

Savard

Ceci

Still not sold on Savard, but wouldn't be upset at the right price/term.  I think it would require longer term and more money than I'd want to pay for what I think I'm getting.   Not sure about Barrie, honestly, but maybe.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Therefore, Hamilton may be in play if Fletcher gets the Cap Space.

Hamilton is waiting for the expansion to pass and resign with the Canes.

But the others mentioned are what I think would serve the defense best.

They can help ease pressure on Sanheim and I think show Morin how to round out his defensive game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think if I were to put them in order for me:

Larsson

Montour

Barrie

Olekaiak  (not an RD)

Savard

Ceci

Still not sold on Savard, but wouldn't be upset at the right price/term.  I think it would require longer term and more money than I'd want to pay for what I think I'm getting.   Not sure about Barrie, honestly, but maybe.

Interesting that you included Barrie here.  With Duncan Keith being traded to the Oilers I'm highly curious to see what happens with Barrie.  Barrie arguably had one of his best years last year.  48 PTs in 56 games last year (~70 pts for a full year).  Now granted he was getting top line PP1 minutes with the likes of McDavid and Drasaitl.  Where ever he ends up I would expect a slight decrease in production.  At 29 and a 3.75 million dollar cap hit, it is a very interesting option indeed.

Agree ...Larsson would be my 1st choice.

Edited by pilldoc

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I'm praying for Jake

If Francis/Hakstol don’t take him, I fear we will be seeing another season of the lazy, turnover prone, bad attitude having, homeless looking f**k. 

I just can’t see any team trading for him and his horrible contract. 

Just now, Samifan said:

If Francis/Hakstol don’t take him, I fear we will be seeing another season of the lazy, turnover prone, bad attitude having, homeless looking f**k. 

Honestly ...that is what scares me the most .....  As Han Solo once said .... "I have a bad felling about this ......"

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I seen reports that if Seattle doesn't take Tarasenko or Jake you can see these two teams trying to work out a trade hopefully to give Giroux a left hand sniper for the power play.

I would link it but I can't remember who said and I have been looking for it but I'm at work.

So we'll see. There is still hope and it was even said it could go down even if they take JVR or Ghost if Jake is left.

I think management has had enough and his media outburst annoyed a few of the brass.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pilldoc said:

no surprises here.....  now lets see who the Kracken take.  I sincerely doubt they take Braun or Hagg.  I believe it is down to Jake / JVR / Ghost.  I'm praying for either Jake or JVR go in that that order.   I will personally drive Jake to Seattle.

if Seattle, I'd go with JVR...he provided scoring this year in front of the net that the Flyers haven't seen since Simmonds and helps get to their salary floor.

15 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

if Seattle, I'd go with JVR...he provided scoring this year in front of the net that the Flyers haven't seen since Simmonds and helps get to their salary floor.

I think JVR is the pick also. Less term, lower cap hit, less commitment and most importantly, more goals. I think the Kracken will be playing a defensive style, but somebody has to score goals. Easier to find set up guys than finishers. Somebody like McCann can get close to Jake's production for 1/3 of the money.