2021 NHL Protected Lists and Expansion Draft Day Thread (Wed, July 21st, 8pm EST / 5pm PST), ESPN2 U.S., TSN Canada

1194396479_releasethekraken.thumb.jpg.420f8cbff59daf63e4776de48b9ea81a.jpg

Full NHL protected and exposed players list in link:
NHL Expansion Draft protected list for Kraken released

For those that wish to discuss the Seattle Expansion draft as it pertains to the league as a whole, this is your thread.

Looking over these protection lists, some teams seemed to have learned from the Vegas draft....some...hmmm, I wonder....

As is expected, the Kraken should come out of this with a pretty nice team.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021 NHL Protected Lists and Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Thread
3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

1194396479_releasethekraken.thumb.jpg.420f8cbff59daf63e4776de48b9ea81a.jpg

Full NHL protected and exposed players list in link:
NHL Expansion Draft protected list for Kraken released

For those that wish to discuss the Seattle Expansion draft as it pertains to the league as a whole, this is your thread.
Actual date for the expansion draft is July 21st (Wednesday), 2021.

Looking over these protection lists, some teams seemed to have learned from the Vegas draft....some...hmmm, I wonder....

As is expected, the Kraken should come out of this with a pretty nice team.

Being the geek I am, I tried to compose my own list of who I thought the Kracken would select. I quickly abandoned ship. The research needed would have taken days. I started to see the daunting task Francis was undertaking. 

Cap hits, age, upside, injury concerns are among the top attention getters. Also, some teams are offering crap, so who they select from those clubs goes towards the limit of 14 forwards and 9 D men. This will factor in. 

A few thoughts...just skimming. Ducks offer Henrique and Shattenkirk. May come down to term/cap. Interested to see if they take Michael Bunting from Arizona. His shooting percentage was crazy to the point of unsustainability, but if your looking for goals and a low cap hit...look no further? 

Bolts are interesting. Palat, despite playing with elite talent has never scored 20 goals and is now 30 with significant cap hit. Killorn is a nice player but aging and expensive. If I'm Seattle and searching for cheap upside...Im taking a long look at Andre Barre-Boulet. 116 pts last year of Jr, pt per game in 2 AHL years and only 24 with minimum cap hit. Taking these types allow them to spend big on JVR and Tarasenko with out maxing the cap. 

I think McCann is easily the Leaf pick. Productive young centers will be at a premium in this exercise. 

• Good Post 1

@jammer2

Most definitely a big undertaking trying to play "Seattle GM".
I did that a bit myself, and in fact, even thought of starting a thread on it, and I too realized the amount of work that would have to go into that.
I wouldn't be up to it! :biggrin: 

Even though Ron Francis should walk away from the draft with a good team, it won't be easy separating the real deals from the fools gold.

Also, consider this:
Any and all Francis does to fill a roster, may not even be the SAME roster we see come Opening Night in October.

If I recall, Vegas drafted a team, then via a flurry of exchanges, ended up with a very different team on Opening Night than the one actually drafted in expansion.
Leads me to believe that is something else Ron Francis will be factoring in: Who he can take that will be worth MORE to someone else, thereby getting him a player not available to him in the expansion draft.

Lots to analyze, sift through, and project....that is for sure!

13 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@jammer2

Most definitely a big undertaking trying to play "Seattle GM".
I did that a bit myself, and in fact, even thought of starting a thread on it, and I too realized the amount of work that would have to go into that.
I wouldn't be up to it! :biggrin: 

Even though Ron Francis should walk away from the draft with a good team, it won't be easy separating the real deals from the fools gold.

Also, consider this:
Any and all Francis does to fill a roster, may not even be the SAME roster we see come Opening Night in October.

If I recall, Vegas drafted a team, then via a flurry of exchanges, ended up with a very different team on Opening Night than the one actually drafted in expansion.
Leads me to believe that is something else Ron Francis will be factoring in: Who he can take that will be worth MORE to someone else, thereby getting him a player not available to him in the expansion draft.

Lots to analyze, sift through, and project....that is for sure!

100% you can count on multiple trades. Some GMs may want players others left unprotected and what those GMs might offer could be more valuable than the original player. There is probably 4-5 side deals we don't know about and we don't know if Seattle will be open to stashing players on LTIR. So, so many variables. 

37 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yes they immediately traded away four players in my memory serves me. It will go down again. 

I prefer the old system where expansion teams had to draft and build their way up to respectability. What occurred with Vegas was a farce, and an insult to fans of Cup-ready teams that an expansion team could appear out of nowhere and be contending for the Stanley Cup in season ONE by cherry picking the best unprotected players off each team's roster.

I can see why Vegas and Seattle fans would be happy, but it doesn't work for everyone else. I'd love to flush the Leafs roster down the toilet and just steal the top players from all the other clubs in one fell swoop. That's a slam dunk. How can an expansion team screw this up? I mean really.

Edited by WordsOfWisdom
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I prefer the old system where expansion teams had to draft and build their way up to respectability. What occurred with Vegas was a farce, and an insult to fans of Cup-ready teams that an expansion team could appear out of nowhere and be contending for the Stanley Cup in season ONE by cherry picking the best unprotected players off each team's roster.

I can see why Vegas and Seattle fans would be happy, but it doesn't work for everyone else. I'd love to flush the Leafs roster down the toilet and just steal the top players from all the other clubs in one fell swoop. That's a slam dunk. How can an expansion team screw this up? I mean really.

There are pros and cons to both ways (the traditional vs this new age way), and I can see the point of "working your way to the top from the very bottom" aspect of it (my Lightning CERTAINLY had to go from rag tag unwanted, to laughing stock, to respectability, to contender, to Cup champions!), but at the same time, especially in today's climate of many forms of entertainment vying for the consumer dollar, I can also see why the NHL has decided that expansion teams should be given boosts so we DON'T have to sit through 10-15 of gawd awful hockey before a team becomes watchable.

I am actually not bothered by this way of doing things....even though, as I said, the Lightning had to pay their dues the old way, AND they likely will be grabbing some of my team's good players to boot!

Maybe its because I am no longer just a single team fan and I do watch, with interest, what goes on with just about every team in the NHL, that I DON'T want to see crappy hockey because a team is iced with 25 4th liners, third pair d-men, and back up goalies.

To me, the NFL and especially the NBA, are MUCH less watchable leagues, yet they enjoy more viewership than the NHL does.
I don't blame the NHL from not wanting to start with a team that is awful and wait years for them to be any good.
Plus, with all the money invested in expansion, it is best that the new teams ARE watchable from Day 1!

This puts the onus on the existing teams to not sit on their laurels (if they had any laurels to begin with), make smart decisions, and continue to ice competitive teams with intelligent management and coaching staffs, regardless of what any new team has in their favor.

Seatlle, like Vegas, will certainly have advantages, but at the same time, it will be up to Seattle to maintain those advantages, and it will still take good management and players actually performing for the team to be successful.
What Vegas did in their inaugural season was indeed, fantastic and unheard of, but then, their GM is a smart man, and he made decisions of who to get, whom to let go at the right times, and who to acquire after that to keep the team going well.

And kudos to those players that were selected and/or acquire to actually perform.

Despite the same advantages, there is no guarantee Seattle will be as successful as Vegas in its first 2 or 3 years.
Ron Francis still has to prove he is just as savvy as George McPhee.

And that all starts for the public to see, this Wednesday in the Kraken expansion draft.
It has already started, I am sure, behind the scenes with side deals.
I, for one, am looking forward to watching the Kraken draft.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

To me, the NFL and especially the NBA, are MUCH less watchable leagues, yet they enjoy more viewership than the NHL does.

Do you know why that is?  Fans like dynasties. Fans like mismatches. Nothing is more boring (to the majority of fans) than parity.

If all 32 teams are the same then nobody cares about anyone. If there is some "lobsided-ness" to the league, then you're excited when a "doormat" team comes to town so your team can pulverize them. You're also equally excited to see the "dynasty" team so that you see how your team stacks up against them.  :) 

Parity robs the league of flavour and character. No matter how colorful the uniforms are, the on-ice product is just shades of grey. 

I can see the point of "working your way to the top from the very bottom" aspect of it (my Lightning CERTAINLY had to go from rag tag unwanted, to laughing stock, to respectability, to contender, to Cup champions!), but at the same time, especially in today's climate of many forms of entertainment vying for the consumer dollar, I can also see why the NHL has decided that expansion teams should be given boosts so we DON'T have to sit through 10-15 of gawd awful hockey before a team becomes watchable.

10-15 years is absurd. The building phase of a typical expansion club under the old system is around 7 years to go from doormat to contender.  Since every other team has to do it when they rebuild, I don't see what the problem is. The Leafs had to go from doormat to contender recently. It didn't happen overnight. They drafted and developed. Imagine if the Leafs could have said "you know, let's skip the rebuild and just pick players from every team". Much faster that way.

Maybe its because I am no longer just a single team fan and I do watch, with interest, what goes on with just about every team in the NHL, that I DON'T want to see crappy hockey because a team is iced with 25 4th liners, third pair d-men, and back up goalies.

It's hard to know where any team stands when every team is the same. You can't identify good until you've seen crap. That's the trouble in the NHL today. Everyone is the same. There are no good teams and there are no bad teams. Tampa is back-to-back champs, but on a scale of 1-10, they're maybe a 6/10 team compared to historical champion franchises. They would get swept by any champion from the 70's, 80's, 90's, early 2000's, because they have no depth. You can't "hoard" talent in the NHL today  over multiple lines and that means weak/weakened champions.

I like seeing two mega-powered teams collide in the final.  I don't like when it's a matchup of two teams where anyone else could have been substituted in and the result would have been the same.  :(

And kudos to those players that were selected and/or acquire to actually perform.

Despite the same advantages, there is no guarantee Seattle will be as successful as Vegas in its first 2 or 3 years.
Ron Francis still has to prove he is just as savvy as George McPhee.

If they are, would you acknowledge that the new system needs changing?  😐

• Like 1

News of behind the scenes wheelin n dealin, side deals and side steals are starting to leak out.
According to this, Seattle and Florida may have something set up where the Kraken take goalie Chris Drieger, sign him, then the Panthers send Frank Vatrano to Seattle plus a pick, meaning Seattle leaves other players on the Panthers alone, and Florida gets back one of the players the Kraken poached from someone else.

Could Florida Panthers lose Driedger and Vatrano to Seattle? (floridahockeynow.com)

Did Florida learn something from the last time they lost TWO players to Vegas (Rielly Smith and Jonathan Marchessault) who went on to become key pieces in Vegas' successful launch, or will they be bamboozled again?

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021 NHL Protected Lists and Expansion Draft Day Thread (Wed, July 21st, 8pm EST / 5pm PST), ESPN2 U.S., TSN Canada

As for who Seattle picks from the “other Washington”, how does a GM figure out whether a young unprotected goalie (who got injured immediately in the playoffs) is a Dream or a Dud?

Rather than pick a somewhat uninspiring blue-liner like Nick Jensen, perhaps the Kraken should take a gamble on the Capitals’ Vitek Vanacek.   Czech?

P.S. Drinks are on me if they pick Ovenchicken!

Edited by SaucyJack

19 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

ESPN must be pissed. This is it's first big TV NHL event.

I really don’t think ESPN gives a ****. They weren’t even going to show it on their main channel and have it on ESPN2.

25 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

ESPN must be pissed. This is it's first big TV NHL event.

4 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I really don’t think ESPN gives a ****. They weren’t even going to show it on their main channel and have it on ESPN2.

I can see ESPN not being all that happy about this, but at the same time, those are still all "alleged", and while many of them might ring true, it is still worth watching the expansion draft (I will be watching for sure), if only to see if those picks are, indeed, the real deal.

And also, let's not forget, just like Vegas, the initial picks the expansion team makes isn't necessarily the roster they will ice come October.
The expansion draft show would be worth watching to also see what trades would be made with those initial picks, to what teams, and for what return.

Some players are gonna feel like a ping pong ball...bouncing from their original team, to the Kraken, then off to who knows where.

Take Yanni Gourde for instance from the Lightning:
If he really is the pick from the Bolts, and then, the Kraken go and trade him, to say, oh I dunno, the Boston Freakin Bruins, I will be more upset than if Seattle had just hung onto him.

Having the leaked picks is nice n all, but I am still watching to see what actually becomes official....and all the wheeling and dealing that will come after that.

Just now, Hockey Junkie said:

I believe they took defenseman Borgen from Sabres.  I liked the kid but no big deal.  I’ll be shocked if they don’t take Teresenko and I have no clue why the Blues are doing this?  I did hear he wants a trade

Yep.
Sabres now have one less Borg in their collective... :ph34r:

Well, the Kraken have their "official" roster now.

Lots of D-men in there....likely means some of those will be flipped for draft choices or younger forwards.

Mark Giordano would make an excellent veteran defenseman for a contender.
Wouldn't surprise me if Yanni Gourde was flipped back East for a younger player either...

• Like 1

From a Lightning standpoint...hated to lose Gourde, but that did free up 5.1M in cap, and better to lose Gourde than Alex Killorn or Ondrej Palat.

From a Wild standlpoint.... man, hate seeing Carson Soucy go. From what I saw of him, he has real potential to be a Ryan McDonagh type defenseman.

From a Canucks standpoint.... I really don't know much about Kole Lind, so I will say the 'Nucks made out alright so far.

All this before any trades are done of course..

• Like 1