2021 NHL Protected Lists and Expansion Draft Day Thread (Wed, July 21st, 8pm EST / 5pm PST), ESPN2 U.S., TSN Canada

41 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, the Kraken have their "official" roster now.

Lots of D-men in there....likely means some of those will be flipped for draft choices or younger forwards.

Mark Giordano would make an excellent veteran defenseman for a contender.
Wouldn't surprise me if Yanni Gourde was flipped back East for a younger player either...

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! GIOOOOOOOO😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫

• Sad 1

On 7/19/2021 at 7:48 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Do you know why that is?  Fans like dynasties. Fans like mismatches. Nothing is more boring (to the majority of fans) than parity.

If all 32 teams are the same then nobody cares about anyone. If there is some "lobsided-ness" to the league, then you're excited when a "doormat" team comes to town so your team can pulverize them. You're also equally excited to see the "dynasty" team so that you see how your team stacks up against them.  :) 

Parity robs the league of flavour and character. No matter how colorful the uniforms are, the on-ice product is just shades of grey. 

10-15 years is absurd. The building phase of a typical expansion club under the old system is around 7 years to go from doormat to contender.  Since every other team has to do it when they rebuild, I don't see what the problem is. The Leafs had to go from doormat to contender recently. It didn't happen overnight. They drafted and developed. Imagine if the Leafs could have said "you know, let's skip the rebuild and just pick players from every team". Much faster that way.

It's hard to know where any team stands when every team is the same. You can't identify good until you've seen crap. That's the trouble in the NHL today. Everyone is the same. There are no good teams and there are no bad teams. Tampa is back-to-back champs, but on a scale of 1-10, they're maybe a 6/10 team compared to historical champion franchises. They would get swept by any champion from the 70's, 80's, 90's, early 2000's, because they have no depth. You can't "hoard" talent in the NHL today  over multiple lines and that means weak/weakened champions.

I like seeing two mega-powered teams collide in the final.  I don't like when it's a matchup of two teams where anyone else could have been substituted in and the result would have been the same.  :(

If they are, would you acknowledge that the new system needs changing?  😐

I blame the salary cap for the parity and lack of true 3-peat dynasties.

Personally, I hate the salary cap, let teams go broke if they can't control their own spending - why do grown men need others to control their spending for them?

• Like 1

I’m presuming they used Star Trek’s transporter to get Kevin Weekes back and forth, to and from, all those Seattle venues so quickly.

Looked and felt like an awesome place to start a new franchise.  Should be fun to see how they do.

Edited by SaucyJack

4 hours ago, Icechipper said:

One of the best DCorps in NHL. They'll be in a a lot of 1-0 and 2-1 physical games. Will not be a soft stopover between western Canada and California.

Yeah, Edmonton exposing Larson didn't make sense either - but Seattle benefited from that.

Other Seattle picks I like are Olesiack and Gourde and Eberle and Donskoi too.

They should taken Domi and Holtby though.