2021-22 Iowa Wild and Prospects

lynxrattle

Minnesota Wild Signs Forward Vladislav Firstov

Minnesota Wild General Manager Bill Guerin today announced the National Hockey League (NHL) club has signed forward Vladislav Firstov to a three-year, entry-level contract starting with the 2022-23 season. He will report to the Iowa Wild in the American Hockey League (AHL) on an amateur tryout (ATO) for the remainder of this season.

• Like 1

Minnesota Wild Signs Sam Hentges to a Two-Year, Entry-Level Contract

Minnesota Wild General Manager Bill Guerin today announced the National Hockey League (NHL) club has signed forward Sam Hentges to a two-year, entry-level contract starting with the 2022-23 season.

Hentges, 22 (7/26/99), tallied 22 points (12-10=22), six power-play goals (PPG), three game-winning goals (GWG), 19 penalty minutes (PIM) and 61 shots in 20 games with St. Cloud State University this season.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:53 AM, IllaZilla said:

Minnesota Wild Signs Forward Vladislav Firstov

Minnesota Wild General Manager Bill Guerin today announced the National Hockey League (NHL) club has signed forward Vladislav Firstov to a three-year, entry-level contract starting with the 2022-23 season. He will report to the Iowa Wild in the American Hockey League (AHL) on an amateur tryout (ATO) for the remainder of this season.

In his 3rd game tonight with Iowa Wild team he had 2 primary assists in our 3:5 loss against San Diego Gulls. 

I am still impressed on our best Iowa Wild player Marco Rossi stats:

in 52 played games he has already 45 points(16 goals; 29 assists; +/- +8). In my opinion, he is merit to play with Fiala and Gaudreau when Boldy is injured. I do not see anyone better to fit this position before Boldy will be in healthy condition.

And I do not remember such the best career biography for the any Iowa Wild players as Marco Rossi has:

Career Notes:

-Team captain of the Team Austria at the 2020-21 World Junior Championship

-At ninth overall, is the second-highest drafted Austrian-born player since Thomas Vanek (fifth overall in 2003).

-Won Red Tilson Trophy as OHL's Most Outstanding Player in 2019-20 and is only second European player to earn that honor

-Won Eddie Power Trophy as OHL's points leader in 2019-20

-Named to CHL Top Prospects Game and OHL First All-Star Team in 2019-20

-Led CHL in scoring (120), assists (81) and plus/minus (+69)

-Named to OHL Second All-Rookie Team in 2018-19

-Selected by Ottawa 67's in the first round (#18 overall) in the 2018 CHL Import Draft

-Contract: Signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Minnesota Wild on Oct. 23, 2020

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Minnesota Wild have one of the deepest prospect pools in the NHL, and it seems that one of them may be coming to North America sooner rather than later. Goaltender Jesper Wallstedt is the prospect who will likely be coming to North America as soon as this season. 

According to The Athletic's Michael Russo, Minnesota is hoping to sign the top goaltending prospect soon in order to have him play in North America next season. The 19-year-old was the 20th pick in last year's draft and posted great numbers for Lulea HF in Sweden this season. Wallstedt put together a .918 SV% in 22 appearances, while only giving up 1.98 goals per game. Not too bad for a 19-year-old. 

Wallstedt would likely start out in the AHL and work his way up, but there could be an opening in the NHL. The Wild have a solid goaltending tandem in Cam Talbot and Marc-Andre Fleury, but both of them are not exactly young anymore, which could lead to an opportunity for the youngster to get some time between the pipes with the big league club.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 1:58 PM, Alexandron said:

Michael Russo

@RussoHockey

Iowa netminder Zane McIntyre was named @theahl Player of the Week. Gave up 5 goals on 124 shots as Iowa went 4-0 to keep playoff hopes alive.

Former UND goalie 👍

• Thanks 1

In the same day Kaprizov takes over the #mnwild franchise record in points, Marco Rossi takes the Iowa rookie record in points.
With the assist on Iowa's 4th goal he passes Justin Kloos' record of 50 points by a rookie. Rossi sits at 51 points now.

From The Hockey News 

Whether going from unranked to the middle of the pack or jumping into the top 10, these prospects made huge leaps from 2021 to this year’s THN top-100 prospects list from the recent Future Watch issue, available here.

Marco Rossi, MIN
2021: 19 // 2022: 9

Rossi went from missing an entire season to top-tier prospect. His adjustment to the professional game has been seamless, as evidenced by his scoring at a near point-per-game clip as an AHL freshman

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wild Signs Forward Pavel Novak to Three-Year, Entry Level Contract

The Wild selected Novak in the fifth round (146th overall) of the 2020 NHL Draft. Novak, 20 (4/16/02), collected 72 points (29-43=72), a plus-26 rating and 14 penalty minutes (PIM) in 62 games with the Kelowna Rockets in the Western Hockey League (WHL) this season. He ranked T-1st on the team in goals, second in scoring, assists and plus/minus rating, third in power play goals (8) and shots on goal (208) and recorded 20 multi-point games.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Wild Signs Forward Pavel Novak to Three-Year, Entry Level Contract

The Wild selected Novak in the fifth round (146th overall) of the 2020 NHL Draft. Novak, 20 (4/16/02), collected 72 points (29-43=72), a plus-26 rating and 14 penalty minutes (PIM) in 62 games with the Kelowna Rockets in the Western Hockey League (WHL) this season. He ranked T-1st on the team in goals, second in scoring, assists and plus/minus rating, third in power play goals (8) and shots on goal (208) and recorded 20 multi-point games.

Good sign, smart promising player.

Michael Russo@RussoHockey

3h

#mnwild have 6 picks in 2022 draft (1st, Van's 2nd at No. 47), their 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th.

In 1st rd, they'll pick between Nos. 25-28 (depends if COL, FLA, CAR reach conference final).

If they don't sign '18 1st-rd pick Filip Johansson June 1, they get a No. 56 compensatory pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Minnesota Wild Not Expected To Sign Filip Johansson

"Though it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise with the deadline set for tomorrow, Michael Russo of The Athletic has confirmed that the Minnesota Wild are not going to sign Filip Johnasson. The 2018 first-round pick will become an unrestricted free agent and the Wild will receive a compensatory pick in this year’s draft, which will be 56th overall."

• Thanks 1

I remember when @IllaZilla, my friend Aaron, my dad and I were at Reid's when this pick was made.  Lots of head shakes and frustration on a player who virtually no one had heard of.  What an awful selection.  Russo hinted on Worst Seats in the House that he knows the story behind that pick and that its pretty sketchy...but he's waiting to confirm its authenticity.  

It was always kind of unclear whether that was Brent Flahr's last pick (as he was just about to depart) or it was Paul Fenton's choice.  I hope Russo can confirm that source somehow so we hear the story behind this.  

Hopefully Judd Brackett can make this selection count or it gives us another decent asset to trade since we now have two 2nd round picks this year.  

On May 11th's Straight from the Source, Russo interviewed Iowa's Tim Army.  Army basically stated the team is full of wingers now with the signings of Hentges, Novak, Firstov to go along with Beckman, Shaw, Swaney, Chaffee, Giroux and Kyle Rau.  He said they need centers and they might look for more AHL veteran types to fill that void.  He also talked about how they should have a fairly young defense corps in Iowa with Simon Johansson, Ryan O'Rourke and Daemon Hunt likely on the roster for next year.  

Barring trades or whether he's traded...one would think Calen Addison would probably be Iowa bound given the way the current group of defenseman under contract appear right now.  Army seemed to like Addison's game a lot and said he felt he was playing some of his best hockey late in the season.  The team has veterans Dakota Mermis, Joe Hicketts under contract for next season.  

As for goaltending, he expects Wallstedt will get playing time in Iowa.  Whether Zane McIntyre will be back remains to be seen.   I would be surprised if they just leaned on Wallstedt, so my guess is they'll try to keep McIntyre there to carry the majority of the starts and ease the Swede into action much the same way they did with Kaapo Kahkonen.   

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I remember when @IllaZilla, my friend Aaron, my dad and I were at Reid's when this pick was made.  Lots of head shakes and frustration on a player who virtually no one had heard of.  What an awful selection.  Russo hinted on Worst Seats in the House that he knows the story behind that pick and that its pretty sketchy...but he's waiting to confirm its authenticity.  

It was always kind of unclear whether that was Brent Flahr's last pick (as he was just about to depart) or it was Paul Fenton's choice.  I hope Russo can confirm that source somehow so we hear the story behind this.  

Well, they had a jersey with his name on it for that pick. So that told me they knew they were going to pick him if he was available. Which he obviously was available since everyone had him rated as a third rounder, second rounder at best. From what I've heard about Paul Fenton's ego, it wouldn't surprise me if he cowboyed the draft and just took Johansson because he viewed himself as the smartest guy in the room...

Oh and Tim Army said that Alexander Khovanov was 'grossly out of shape' when he tried playing for Iowa this season and his pre-game meal would be a hamburger.  He even said after the season after they had read him the riot act about getting more serious about exercise and nutrition, saying they offered him the team's resources so he doesn't have to think about it.  Even after that he saw him at a Hyvee and he was having some sugary carmel latte with lots of whipped cream.  So clearly, he understood the message. :rolleyes:

He said the guy has lots of NHL ability, but until he gets serious about his fitness...it will be just like Sokolov.

If that's the story...its not just sketchy...it'd be damn embarrassing.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

**New minors/prospects thread is now open**

Any relevant development camp posts have been moved over to the existing Development camp thread.
Any minor league player discussions can now be done on the new prospects thread for the upcoming 22-23 season.

Thanks to all for the participation.