Defense:

D - Fedor Gordeev

D - Riese Zmolek

D - Dakota Mermis

Goaltenders:

Andrew Hammond

Dereck Baribeau

Hunter Jones

The Iowa Wild also added Dominic Turgeon.  Gabriel Dumont signed in Tampa Bay and Gerald Mayhew signed in Philadelphia.  

With yesterday's signings this is what Iowa looks like so far.  

Forwards

RW - Mitchell Chaffee 

RW - Nick Swaney

C - Damien Giroux

C - Joey Cramarossa

RW - Ivan Lodnia

C - Connor Dewar

C - Kyle Rau

C - Dominic Turgeon

F - Cody McLeod

Defense:

D - Fedor Gordeev

D - Riese Zmolek

D - Dakota Mermis

D - Jon Lizotte

D - Joey Hicketts

Goaltenders:

Andrew Hammond

Dereck Baribeau

Hunter Jones

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Like 1

Sadly that we did not provide enough tryouts for Mayhew here but we signed undrafted Gaudreau who had plenty NHL tryouts. Mayhew was a promising prospect for the Wild team and presented a certain interest for me. He was one of the best forwards in AHL. Lucky Flyers will have him now. Hope, he will find a place in the big club there.

As much as I like Gerald Mayhew, I think he's really mostly an AHL ringer.  There are players like that, who can absolutely dominate at the AHL but they don't do much at the next level.  Mind you, they often don't go into situations at the NHL level in regards to ice time, opportunities they had the AHL.  However, they often succeed because they can take full advantage of a lesser goaltender, or having the kind of time and space you wouldn't have at the higher level but when that's taken away they look rather pedestrian.  

Darren Haydar, Simon Gamache, Bret Sterling heck even Bruce Boudreau were AHL scoring machines who never did much with the few and limited chances to show what they could do at the NHL level.  It doesn't mean they're bad players, but their niche was in the AHL or European leagues.  You see the same things with some European league stud who arrives in the NHL and looks overwhelmed.  

• Like 1

According to CapFriendly.  30-year old defensemen Kevin Czuczman who I'd think would slot into Iowa's lineup.  Duhaime also got a 2-year extension with the 1st year being a two-way deal and the 2nd year of the deal being a one-way contract.  

Forwards

RW - Mitchell Chaffee 

RW - Nick Swaney

C - Damien Giroux

C - Joey Cramarossa

RW - Ivan Lodnia

C - Connor Dewar

C - Kyle Rau

C - Dominic Turgeon

F - Cody McLeod

LW - Brandon Duhaime

Defense:

D - Fedor Gordeev

D - Riese Zmolek

D - Dakota Mermis

D - Jon Lizotte

D - Joey Hicketts

D - Kevin Czuczman  

Goaltenders:

Andrew Hammond

Dereck Baribeau

Hunter Jones

Add C/LW Will Bitten into the fold.  Luke Johnson signed with Winnipeg.  

Forwards

RW - Mitchell Chaffee 

RW - Nick Swaney

C - Damien Giroux

C - Joey Cramarossa

RW - Ivan Lodnia

C - Connor Dewar

C - Kyle Rau

C - Dominic Turgeon

F - Cody McLeod

LW - Brandon Duhaime

C / LW - Will Bitten

Defense:

D - Fedor Gordeev

D - Riese Zmolek

D - Dakota Mermis

D - Jon Lizotte

D - Joey Hicketts

D - Kevin Czuczman  

Goaltenders:

Andrew Hammond

Dereck Baribeau

Hunter Jones

According to eliteprospect.com link LW/C Adam Beckman is going to play in Iowa this coming season. He is presenting a huge interest as offensively minded forward. But Ivan Lodnia and Fedor Gordeev are included into Iowa Wild team according to the same link, which are sad news.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alexandron said:

According to eliteprospect.com link LW/C Adam Beckman is going to play in Iowa this coming season. He is presenting a huge interest as offensively minded forward. But Ivan Lodnia and Fedor Gordeev are included into Iowa Wild team according to the same link, which are sad news.

Sorry my mistake. Didn't check my message- it should be Ivan Lodnia and Fedor Gordeev are NOT included into the Iowa Wild team.

Sincerely, I missed our former interim Wild head coach and Iowa Wild head coach John Torchetti who was not afraid on promising prospects tryouts at different leagues. He discovered Khovanov too. It seems he was able to find the way to talk to those prospects nicely. Why I mentioned him? Because he also was a head coach for the CSKA, Moscow team in KHL and I am sure he would try former prospect Falkovski ( 6'9"; 220 lbs); Gordeev (6'7"; 240 lbs); former prospect Sokolov; as well as Khovanov; Lodnia; Firstov; Guskov; Nesterenko; Khusnutdinov in the big club. With a current head coach Evason and Iowa Wild head coach Army I do not see any future for those players here. 

Edited by Alexandron
  • Like 1

Just found out that our former prospect defenseman Stepan Falkovsky is going to play for the best KHL team SKA St.Petersburg this 2021-2022 season. It seems he progressed very well in different leagues during the last 2 seasons:

1. 2019-2020 season - ECHL (Allen Americans team), 41 points in 46 played games (15 goals; 26 assists; +/- +16);

2. 2020-2021 season - KHL (Dinamo Minsk team), 20 points in 37 games (8 goals; 20 assists; +/- +7). He was second the best defenseman after our also former prospect defenseman Brennan Menell in that team. 

Unfortunately, under Iowa Wild head coach Tim Army, Stepan Falkovsky had a chance to play only 5 games in 2018-2019 season. Is Tim Army was blind do not use more Zdeno Chara size player in Iowa AHL team just to see if he will progress there?

Same happening now with our other Zdeno Chara size player Fedor Gordeev in Iowa. Army gave him only 7 AHL games to play last season, and the rest of the season Gordeev  was benched. Is that the way to develop a player? Not sure if we will see him this season. We need those type of big players in the big club, because they are a rare trait. 

Dmitri Sokolov was also  limited to 14 games last season  under Army coaching. Donato and Greenway did not want to play in Iowa, but only in NHL and were very mad when the former Wild coach Boudreau sent  them there few seasons ago. But other prospects in Iowa suffering, because of not playing enough time for this team and just losing their skills.

In my opinion, we have huge questions on developing prospects in Iowa for the big club. 

Guskov isn't AHL calibre.  Khovanov...he thought he was 'better' than the AHL and couldn't stay in the KHL.  I don't think it matters one bit where these guys happen to be from.  The latter two felt a bit entitled and either didn't work hard or blamed coaching etc for their own failings.  

I know for a fact management and even people close to Sokolov tried to help him understand the need for being in better shape.  It still wasn't what it needed to be.  He felt his scoring prowess was good enough the other stuff should be ignored.  

Khovanov...we still don't know what he's going to do.  

Greenway didn't want to work in Iowa because he thought it was beneath him, as did Donato.  That's not on Army...that's on THEM.  That's on being a professional.  

Its why the team read Greenway the riot act going into last season.  Its why the team probably decided it was best to just let Donato go.  Army is going to make you earn it.  If the organization had any qualms about how he's doing his job he'd be gone by now.  

• Like 1

Iowa signed another forward Ryan Kuffner to a 1-year AHL deal.  He was a top scorer at Princeton University and played last season in the German Bundesliga for ERC Ingolstadt.  He had 7 points and 14 points in 31 games last season.  

He's 6'1", 195lbs left winger (left shot).  

Forwards

RW - Mitchell Chaffee 

RW - Nick Swaney

C - Damien Giroux

C - Joey Cramarossa

RW - Ivan Lodnia

C - Connor Dewar

C - Kyle Rau

C - Dominic Turgeon

F - Cody McLeod

LW - Brandon Duhaime

C / LW - Will Bitten

LW - Ryan Kuffner

Defense:

D - Fedor Gordeev

D - Riese Zmolek

D - Dakota Mermis

D - Jon Lizotte

D - Joey Hicketts

D - Kevin Czuczman  

Goaltenders:

Andrew Hammond

Dereck Baribeau

Hunter Jones

3 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Iowa signed another forward Ryan Kuffner to a 1-year AHL deal.  He was a top scorer at Princeton University and played last season in the German Bundesliga for ERC Ingolstadt.  He had 7 points and 14 points in 31 games last season.  

He's 6'1", 195lbs left winger (left shot).  

Forwards

RW - Mitchell Chaffee 

RW - Nick Swaney

C - Damien Giroux

C - Joey Cramarossa

RW - Ivan Lodnia

C - Connor Dewar

C - Kyle Rau

C - Dominic Turgeon

F - Cody McLeod

LW - Brandon Duhaime

C / LW - Will Bitten

LW - Ryan Kuffner

Defense:

D - Fedor Gordeev

D - Riese Zmolek

D - Dakota Mermis

D - Jon Lizotte

D - Joey Hicketts

D - Kevin Czuczman  

Goaltenders:

Andrew Hammond

Dereck Baribeau

Hunter Jones

25 year old scoring 14 points in 31 games in Germany? Probably little reason to get excited about him, huh?

• Like 2

He is undrafted also, who played already in NHL for the Detroit 10 games (0 goals; 0 assists; +/- -4). He had 2 tryouts in AHL for 2 teams too and didn't impressed those teams either. One thing that maybe was a factor to sign him here - his play in playoffs in Germany 5 points in 5 games( 2 goals;3 assists; +/- +1). But still a little reason to get excited about him.

Interesting , that parallel to our discussion regarding our prospects here hockeywilderness site is doing a similar discussion there too:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2021/8/10/22607382/minnesota-wild-top-25-under-25-prospects-draft-kahkonen-sturm-belpedio-menell

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 3:35 PM, Hockey-78 said:

25 year old scoring 14 points in 31 games in Germany? Probably little reason to get excited about him, huh?

Most likely.  We really don't have that many true left wings in Iowa.  The younger players are going to be leading the way now; and if he can be a decent bottom 6 winger then that helps give those prospects the prime ice time.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lights, Camera with Joe O'Donnell is insightful and fun for Minnesota & Iowa Wild fans

This is a bit of a lighter article.  But Iowa Wild play-by-play man Joe O'Donnell has been interviewing Wild players throughout the summer.  I also give a bit of a preview of Iowa's lineup going into this fall as well as another video the Minnesota Wild produced that I hope we see more of.  Enjoy and discuss!  

A couple more news about our prospects.

From Russo twit -" mnwild are expecting prospect Alex Khovanov back in the North American fold once some passport and visa requirements are completed. The young center and former Moncton scorer spent last season in the KHL and VHL."

From Selaars twit: a video link  of Marco Rossi PP goal.

• Like 2

Khusnutdinov's progress makes me say Khovanov who?  

IMO, Ivan Khovanov needs to try to prove to me again that he's a viable NHL prospect after the tire fire in Russia last season.  If he can prove he's still good, great...if not...we have other quality players in the pipeline.  

Sounds like Addison could be logging big minutes for Iowa since Minnesota signed Jordie Benn today.  O'Rourke I think will return to the OHL to log big minutes there and work on his offensive game too.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Khusnutdinov's progress makes me say Khovanov who?  

IMO, Ivan Khovanov needs to try to prove to me again that he's a viable NHL prospect after the tire fire in Russia last season.  If he can prove he's still good, great...if not...we have other quality players in the pipeline.  

Sounds like Addison could be logging big minutes for Iowa since Minnesota signed Jordie Benn today.  O'Rourke I think will return to the OHL to log big minutes there and work on his offensive game too.   

LIG, Lodnia - Ivan; Khovanov- Alexander. 😎

I just checked stats for undrafted Jordie Benn and did not find anything special. I do not know about his depth overall. We are going to see it this season. He already played for 10 seasons in NHL and we are the 5th NHL team already in his long professional tryout.  His brother Jamie Benn has much more attraction, but he is a Captain for the Stars. You are right - it seems Jordie will take Addison spot this season. Pretty sad.

• Like 1

Benn is a serviceable 6-7th defender. Plays the role well enough, stay-at-home D with grit.

Sticking a good prospect into that spot is a waste, unless you know the prospect in question isn't going to be better than a bottom-two defender.

Better to get top minutes in Iowa.

• Like 1

I think if you're developing a player its important to have them in the situations you believe they will be best suited for their skillset, etc.  Having him play intermittently as the 7th defenseman and get limited power play time isn't a good way to develop a player you hope will be quarterbacking your power play.  

By playing top pairing minutes in Iowa he gets that Top 4 look which I think what he projects into.  Or at the very least you determine whether he's really going to be able to carry that baton or whether he's capable of carrying it at all.  

As for as Khovanov goes, and I feared this when I heard some of Torchetti's comments about him that he can be coachable.  He has to learn how to adjust, and not expect other teams to just change to fit hits wants and preferences.  I think Khovanov thought he was too good for the AHL, only to be humbled when he tried to play in the KHL.  Now he has to prove that there is something still there worth getting excited about or is he a mercurial prospect whose greatest barrier is his himself and his attitude.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I think if you're developing a player its important to have them in the situations you believe they will be best suited for their skillset, etc.  Having him play intermittently as the 7th defenseman and get limited power play time isn't a good way to develop a player you hope will be quarterbacking your power play.  

By playing top pairing minutes in Iowa he gets that Top 4 look which I think what he projects into.  Or at the very least you determine whether he's really going to be able to carry that baton or whether he's capable of carrying it at all.  

As for as Khovanov goes, and I feared this when I heard some of Torchetti's comments about him that he can be coachable.  He has to learn how to adjust, and not expect other teams to just change to fit hits wants and preferences.  I think Khovanov thought he was too good for the AHL, only to be humbled when he tried to play in the KHL.  Now he has to prove that there is something still there worth getting excited about or is he a mercurial prospect whose greatest barrier is his himself and his attitude.   

Hopefully a wake up call the chip is off his shoulder and he buckles  down and starts listening. Its not like hes been playing hockey since he was three.

• Like 3

Hockey News on Sports Illustrated 

Prospect Roundup: The Standouts from the U-20 Four Nations Tournament

Tony Ferrari  

The host nation wound up finishing tied for the best record but ran away with the goal differential crown. The Czech squad had quite a few of their top names in defender Stanislav Svozil (Columbus) and David Jiříček (2022 draft) as well as top forwards Jan Myšák (Montreal) and Pavel Novák (Minnesota Wild). The depth for the squad that came to play was a big reason for their success though.

The aforementioned Myšák and Novák (Minnesota) were centered by Josef Koláček and they were the driving force of the team throughout the international U20 exhibition season, accounting for 46% of their offense over seven games this summer together. All three should be locks to make the World Junior roster and should be some of the team's top difference makers at the annual under-20 event.

• Like 2