Gostisbehere Traded To Arizona

Samifan

1 hour ago, MaineFlyFan said:

WHAT THE HELL ARE "FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS"?!?!?!........

Reservations at a nice restaurant in Phoenix when the Flyers play there and the Yotes pick up the tab. 😂

Edited by Samifan
  • Haha 2

A lot of complaining by people who criticize him on a regular basis, but no consideration given to the fact that we had to give extra for someone to take Ghost—which should say something about how the rest of the league regards him. But not to you guys I guess.   

as was reported, one team asked for York for them to take Ghost. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

47 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

A lot of complaining by people who criticize him on a regular basis, but no consideration given to the fact that we had to give extra for someone to take Ghost—which should say something about how the rest of the league regards him. But not to you guys I guess.   

Yes, thanks for this.

Teams wanted the first round pick or the best prospect in the system.

This isn't a win but it isn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

Remember no team took him when he was available for nothing.

Cap space is as valuable as a player this year, maybe next year too.

It's the reality of the flat cap.

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Remember no team took him when he was available for nothing.

I mean, sure, but it was also $4.5M in cap space...

Gotstobethere was on pace for a 40 point season and was tied for sixth in goals by a D with ~10 games fewer games played than the guys around him.

To your point that Jake has value, this kinda calls that into question.

Seattle didn't want a 60 point forward and took Twarynski.

I think if they retain $2M they can get something for Jake.

I hope...

• Like 1

I am laughing at every mfer on this board over the last two years who tried to tell me that Ghost was so valuable, would be the centerpiece of a trade for Laine, was worth more than a 3rd rounder (which is what I said he was worth 3 years ago), etc., etc., etc.

Not only did we not get a 3rd rounder for him, we had a trade a 2nd and a 7th to get rid of him.

Can everyone shut up about us trading JVR and Voracek and Giroux?  These guys will be on the opening night roster.

Edited by SCFlyguy

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Well, Pitlick went to Calgary for a fourth.  So, we won't have to deal with him for a second time. 

But I liked Pitlick! In the right situation, with the right linemates, he could have potted 60!

• Haha 1

I dont know what people expected?? Ghost was offered through the entire league...FOR FREE!! No takers! The 2nd rounder sucks but if your gonna free up cap space, its the cost of doing business in today's NHL. 

Glad it was 2022 and not this years 2nd. 2 players from the OHL ranked in the first 2 rounds means potential stars out there that scouts just did not get good enough looks at. Maybe a down year but this few rated picks translates into opportunity from where I sit. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I dont know what people expected?? Ghost was offered through the entire league...FOR FREE!!

In a league in which GMs are terrified to make an offer sheet you're surprised no one took a guy off waivers and then one of them got paid to take the player?

Good point...?

Edited by radoran

Unless there is something in the works we don't know about....

This was a terrible use of assets and picks. We needed our 2nd round pick and assets(mostly picks) to use to get a sniper back, if we are trading Jake and a second for a sniper than now our first most likely has to be involved, where as are second was the turn in chip. We still had the Entry level draft to trade Ghost as we could of used him to trade down our pick to a team, that had some cap space.

Ghost wasn't a direct cap issue just yet and at two years left wasn't a long contract to let go at trade deadline.

Again unless something else is about to happen that is a lock, you don't get rid of things for free and hope your ready for what's to come(Example: like a wife convincing you to get rid of your smoker, vehicle trailer, wet bar and tool shed to make space for a outdoor gathering, that then never happens), especially as I think Ghost has value(Elite Power Play "Shortstop"/Point Man, Man Advantage weapon, can play top 4 D) and I liked Ghost and would of liked him on the third line with Morin this year, instead of Braun.

I don't like the idea of putting York with those high expectations just yet.

He should stay one more year in the AHL to be in all situations - top minutes, to not be on the Flyers prematurely and throw off his development and valuable leadership experience he can curate in.

This is where Chuck needs to stay away from, getting yourself cornered in, in your head.

This was more a panic move trade than anything if standing on its own.

Just for clarity in regards to Ghost clearing wavers.

You don't acquire 4.5@2 year assets in the middle of a flat cap world year and following year

AND Expansion Draft year "and" RFA/UFA year "and" what players are still healthy "and" the roster space/max signed players needed {Year In Business} Playoff [Hockey Operations]

It's easy to view life from the perspective of a groundhog, but GM's are viewing things perched up from an eagles nest....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

I hate giving away 1sts and 2nds. If it was later than that it wouldn't bother me so much. And maybe it won't if he does something useful with it. His track record doesn't ooze confidence though.

8 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

It was probably the Wild...cause they know his history better than anyone and likely thought he would go for it! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, radoran said:

In a league in which GMs are terrified to make an offer sheet you're surprised no one took a guy off waivers and then one of them got paid to take the player?

Good point...?

Well, you can count actual offer sheets in the past decade on one hand. Waiver claims happen on weekly basis. Just because GMs perform both functions does not draw a valid correlation between the two. 

8 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I dont know what people expected?? Ghost was offered through the entire league...FOR FREE!! No takers! The 2nd rounder sucks but if your gonna free up cap space, its the cost of doing business in today's NHL. 

Glad it was 2022 and not this years 2nd. 2 players from the OHL ranked in the first 2 rounds means potential stars out there that scouts just did not get good enough looks at. Maybe a down year but this few rated picks translates into opportunity from where I sit. 

The scary part is that Ghost, who had 2 years at 4.5 million cost us a #2 and  7 to get rid of. So to dump Jake at 3 years and 8.5 million is gonna cost at least a first round pick, probably more. So if we cannot dump Jake, JVR or Hayes, we will not be able to re-sign G, which is probably a good thing. We also have to prepare for Coots wanting 8 million a year. If we could get a couple of really good young players , maybe we have to trade Coots since we are stuck with three big contracts.

35 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

The scary part is that Ghost, who had 2 years at 4.5 million cost us a #2 and  7 to get rid of. So to dump Jake at 3 years and 8.5 million is gonna cost at least a first round pick, probably more. So if we cannot dump Jake, JVR or Hayes, we will not be able to re-sign G, which is probably a good thing. We also have to prepare for Coots wanting 8 million a year. If we could get a couple of really good young players , maybe we have to trade Coots since we are stuck with three big contracts.

Well unless Giroux wants to be making which Coots is making right now, little over $4 million per year that's the only way I see the Flyers resigning Giroux since Coots will probably get $8 million per year and end up being the Flyers next captain. If Giroux agrees to the type of contract then I'd gladly see him back as a Flyer otherwise goodbye. Depending on what happens this coming season, I wouldn't mind seeing Giroux traded at the deadline for a young player and picks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Well, you can count actual offer sheets in the past decade on one hand. Waiver claims happen on weekly basis. Just because GMs perform both functions does not draw a valid correlation between the two. 

Name a significant waiver claim from those made on "a weekly basis".

I'll wait.

:toast:

Hard and flat cap. Cap space now more valuable than picks. Don’t know who/what to blame for this mess. GM’s or COVID.

Guess pandemic points out the fallacy of clubs counting on ever increasing cap to cover inflated contracts.

Two picks to coax a team to take one of your players?  What a great business model.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We also have to prepare for Coots wanting 8 million a year. If we could get a couple of really good young players , maybe we have to trade Coots since we are stuck with three big contracts.

I've been saying this for a while.  This team is nowhere and needs a multi-year rebuild.  The shortest path to that is to trade Couts ASAP, since he has the most value.

I do think you could position things where you could get something for G - not a lot, but something - by getting your cap such that you could retain $3M of his salary at this deadline.  Being able to offer teams G for $5M could be valuable.

2 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

I've been saying this for a while.  This team is nowhere and needs a multi-year rebuild.  The shortest path to that is to trade Couts ASAP, since he has the most value.

I do think you could position things where you could get something for G - not a lot, but something - by getting your cap such that you could retain $3M of his salary at this deadline.  Being able to offer teams G for $5M could be valuable.

I agree. We would be lucky to dump one big contract and it would cost us a lot. So if we are stuck with Jake, JVR and Hayes for multiple years ,it would be stupid to add another 8 million dollar contract for Coots and to re-sign G.  So it seems the only way to get out of this mess is to not re-sign G and to trade Coots for a big haul. We could always buy out Jake and JVR in a few years , I don’t think it’s worth it to do it now. We need to make a 3 for 1 kind of deal. We would want the other teams top prospect, a top roster player and a pick. We need to keep our pick in this draft, we need to pick a center and even trade up for MCTavish or Lucius .This team has too many holes , so having 3 or 4 good players via the draft and by trading Coots will help the rebuild more than by giving up assets and overpaying for FA.