Gostisbehere Traded To Arizona

Samifan

Just now, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

This was the biggest factor, IMHO.  Most teams could not afford to make the waiver claim.  And no, I don’t have the ability to go back in time to check teams’ cap space.

Teams had cap space. Almost half the league is sitting on more than $20M in space right now.

Arizona is sitting on $24M rightnow even having been paid to take the burden of Gotstobethere's $4.5M contract.

There's a reason GMs don't take advantage of other teams' problems and the poster boy for it is the Senior Hockey Advisor who had to leave his position as GM because he made an offer sheet...

Just now, radoran said:

A longer response wasn't needed :hocky:

And we don't really disagree - there were many factors in why Gotstobethere wasn't claimed and very little of it had to do with the lazy analysis of "nobody wanted him."

Players of his caliber (and, for the record, I'm not a Ghost fanboy) aren't put on waivers very often and they are claimed even more rarely.

I mean, he's no Anton Forsberg or Troy Grosenick.

I patiently await the use of the $4.5M in cap space and look forward to "competing for the Stanley Cup" next season.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

It's called yet another bad contract given by bad management, and ownership. The utter incompetence of the latter years of Ed Snider permeated down through the organization, in its overpayment and lack of proper coaching (and in many cases) selection, of a player. The organization almost ruined Ghost, in part by overpaying him. The organization lacks the necessary creativity, and perhaps... PERHAPS...the MOTIVATION to be run better. They are stuck in a spot with only $4.5M in capspace due to poor organizational planning.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

It's called yet another bad contract given by bad management, and ownership.

$4.5M for a 40-point defenceman isn't out of line for the league at all. It may actually be something of a bargain, if Jamie Oleksiak is "worth" $4.6M

And you know I agree about the state of the Flyers' organization*

They are stuck in a spot with only $4.5M in capspace due to poor organizational planning.

The Flyers had $9M in cap space before "freeing up room" by paying Arizona to take Gotstobethere.

I don't "know" specifically why the Kraken didn't take a 40-point defenceman for less than what they paid Oleksiak or, for that matter, why they didn't take a 60-point forward.

It may be that they have $30M in cap space and have some eyes on some more significant UFAs out there. And/or that the other teams in the league simply don't value the Flyers' players as much as the Flyers do.

I await the Other Shoe(s) dropping.

I'm just worried that ol' Fletch is barefoot.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

On the off chance that this happens, imma gonna go ahead and predict that Ghost challenges Makar for points by a Dman and gets a Norris-nomination.  You know, just so I can come on here a year from now and brag about how smart I am. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

I'll take Oleksiak over Ghost, any day of the week.

familiarity breeds contempt :hocky:

Oleksiak is still a guy who has never played 82 games in a season, has as many goals as Gotstobethere had this year in the last two, and had 14 points in 56 games to Ghost's 20 in 41.

Not bad for a guy who "can't play hockey" (not your term).

I've been more critical of Ghost than many over the course of his career, and am happy to concur with the issues that he has on the ice.

I just question needing to pay a 2nd to get rid of him and, again, await the Next Moves that will enlighten us to the strategery of the endeavor.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, radoran said:

Teams had cap space. Almost half the league is sitting on more than $20M in space right now.

Weren't the Flyers actually one of them?

They had the Niskanen money which was okay money and were banking cap space in anticipation of making a deadline deal.

We know how that turned out, but the broader point is the Flyers had some space last season and going into this season.

Players all **** the bed and changes are required to change the mix. That is harder today, than it would have been without COVID.

This situation simply could not have been anticipated 2 years ago.

I'm sure GMs didn't have a "global pandemic" playbook.

No one in August of 2019, even, had any idea what would become of the world in the next 10 months. So sure, the Flyers cap situation isn't ideal- they aren't alone. I don't think the cap has been grossly mismanaged, I think external forces have created the situation where reasonable assumptions made in 2019 (and before) are no longer valid and teams, the Flyers in particular, are paying the price for it. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

Just now, mojo1917 said:

Weren't the Flyers actually one of them?

Flyers had $9M in space before moving Gotstobethere needing to re-sign Morin (UFA), Sanheim (RFA), and two goalies.

They have something like $13.8M now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

On the off chance that this happens, imma gonna go ahead and predict that Ghost challenges Makar for points by a Dman and gets a Norris-nomination.  You know, just so I can come on here a year from now and brag about how smart I am. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

When did you become SCFlyguy?

I'll take Oleksiak over Ghost, any day of the week.

You take Oleksiak over Ghost for different reasons.  They are polar opposite players playing the same position.  Except for his size and physicality, I’m not so sure Oleksiak is better in the defensive zone than Ghost.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, radoran said:

The Old Boys Club is alive and well in the NHL and you know it :thumbsu:

Nobody took Gotstobethere "for nothing" because:

a) they didn't want the blowback from it

b) they didn't want to take the cap hit especially when

c) they knew they could get paid to take him

No goalposts moved. Goal scored.

Rad, I don't understand what you are arguing the Flyers should have done with Ghost, other than keep him (which is what I would have done).

Edit: Missed a couple of your posts.  It sounds like you would have kept him as well (not because he is good but because wgaf about cap space right now).

Edited by SCFlyguy

8 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Edit: Missed a couple of your posts.  It sounds like you would have kept him as well (not because he is good but because wgaf about cap space right now).

Let's just say I wouldn't have paid to give him away "to get cap space"

Pending, of course, what is done with the cap space acquired.

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Don't you go pissing me off, or I will go to your house and put that beer truck back on your head (empty of course).

No....I have had enough I'll behave.

Buy I can't say for how long...

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

This, um, needs some work.

We still need to acquire  someone to team with Sanheim, I think York makes the team and maybe we can team York with Haag/Morin. Braun can a throw in for any trade we make.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We still need to acquire  someone to team with Sanheim, I think York makes the team and maybe we can team York with Haag/Morin. Braun can a throw in for any trade we make.

I spoke too soon, we threw in Haag, I would have preferred Braun ,especially since we gave up a first and second. So the third pair has to be York and Morin…F Braun.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

We still need to acquire  someone to team with Sanheim

And still do. Risto is not that guy. I have to say i have no idea WTF this front office is doing anymore.

They have gone off the goddamn rails...i am at a loss for anything else to say...

:BrownBag: