Ristolainen to Flyers

Hockey Guy thinks Flyers paid alot.  I cant believe they gave up a number one and a 2nd and an established D man.  But I am sad to see Risto  go.  You got a beast.  The Flyers are now tough again.  He is going to make you happy.  Ill take the first rounder of course.  Wonder who we wind up with tonight.  Cant say I know much about the guy we got?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Hockey Guy thinks Flyers paid alot.  I cant believe they gave up a number one and a 2nd and an established D man.  But I am sad to see Risto  go.  You got a beast.  The Flyers are now tough again.  He is going to make you happy.  Ill take the first rounder of course.  Wonder who we wind up with tonight.  Cant say I know much about the guy we got?

Anyone with half a brain thinks Philly paid a lot. Risto may be tough, but he has zero hockey IQ. He's Radko Gudas. For a 1st. And a 2nd. And a player.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1
  • Annoyed 1

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Anyone with half a brain thinks Philly paid a lot. Risto may be tough, but he has zero hockey IQ. He's Radko Gudas. For a 1st. And a 2nd. And a player.

What's sadder is there are idiot Flyer fans on Facebook who think this is a great move. (SMH)

I'm not kidding either ....there are fans singing Fletcher's praises.    (SMH again)

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

18 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He can hammer guys entering the zone, and he can score.  He has a good offensive presence.  Not his fault Hutton Sucks

7 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

He can hammer guys entering the zone, and he can score.  He has a good offensive presence.  Not his fault Hutton Sucks

He puts himself out of position all the time.  

He can score? He has 27 goals in 5 years! The guy we just traded TWO draft picks just to get rid of scored 9 goals last season Ristolainen scored 4

Hutton may suck. But part of the reason is so does Ristolainen.

Be happy Rick, your GM just fleeced ours, then took him out to the woodshed, then stole his candy.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 4

Ouch....

https://infernalaccess.substack.com/p/the-new-jersey-devils-should-not

However, IF the Devils are entertaining this because they think Risto is potentially part of the long-term future of this franchise and that it’s worth giving up valuable assets to acquire, and then several million to re-sign, I ask the readership of this blog to flood the Twitter-sphere with profanity-laced pleas to Devils management to avoid making a franchise-defining mistake.

Ristolainen is probably the most infamous defender in the NHL among those in the public analytics community. This isn’t because he is the worst -- he’s been hovering around replacement-level for much of his career -- but because he is the most archetypal example of an overrated defencemen in the modern game

17 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

he can score.  He has a good offensive presence.

No he isn't! Period end of story .....  show me his offensive prowess ...

image.png.51a2ff547318ebac656e02af7f74301d.png

In 2020/21 season he does NOT even make top 25 in scoring defensemen.

In 2019/20 he is #37 in scoring defesemen.

In 2018/19 he is #26

In 2017/18 he is #29

In 2016/17 he is #15 (his best year)

In 2015/16 he is #24

In 2014/15 he does NOT even in top 50.  His rookie year ....

NO he does not score unless he is playing his x-box ....

Edited by pilldoc

The only positive is he plays tough Flyer hockey. We all knew he hit hard though. Pairing this dude with Sanheim (who often looked LOST in his own end last year) makes the whole 2nd pairing a cluster****!! We would have been way better off just moving Ghost there...minus physicality but plus picks, cap space and flexibility...same negative defense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The only positive is he plays tough Flyer hockey. 

What does that even mean? Philly hasn't been tough for over a decade. I'd rather he was good, than tough. Both would be better. But he's just not good. At all.

Putting yourself way out of position to throw a hit as the other team scores isn't tough...it's dumb.

• Like 1

Isnt "Hockey Junkie" a Buffalo fan? The fact that he is on here, trying to make us see some good in this, is proof enough. He is secretly elated this happened, knows the Flyers are stoopid and is feeling sorry for us

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He puts himself out of position all the time.  

He can score? He has 27 goals in 5 years! The guy we just traded TWO draft picks just to get rid of scored 9 goals last season Ristolainen scored 4

Hutton may suck. But part of the reason is so does Ristolainen.

Be happy Rick, your GM just fleeced ours, then took him out to the woodshed, then stole his candy.

Lol.  I don’t agree

What's even better is that "Risto" isn't signed to some cap friendly contract...he's getting a million a year more than Ghost...for one more year!  Then Fletcher, so as not to get totally fleeced on a lousy player who's only a rental, will no doubt give him the Hayes treatment.

**** I'm glad the OHL is back this year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

What does that even mean? Philly hasn't been tough for over a decade. I'd rather he was good, than tough. Both would be better. But he's just not good. At all.

Putting yourself way out of position to throw a hit as the other team scores isn't tough...it's dumb.

OK...you literally took the only slight positive I listed and ignored the context of the entire post. 

Flyer hockey is taking the shortest route to the puck and arriving in ill humor. A little blood does not hurt either. That has been the teams identity. We have lost our way. You do know you can be tough and talented at the same time (not saying Risto represents this either). We need to strive towards more Rick Tocchets and less Jake Voracheck. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

OK...you literally took the only slight positive I listed and ignored the context of the entire post. 

Flyer hockey is taking the shortest route to the puck and arriving in ill humor. A little blood does not hurt either. That has been the teams identity. We have lost our way. You do know you can be tough and talented at the same time (not saying Risto represents this either). We need to strive towards more Rick Tocchets and less Jake Voracheck. 

That Flyer hockey you speak of is from decades and decades ago.

I'd love more Rick Tocchets. 

Ristolainen is just a dumb player who hits. He's a guy you give up a 3rd rounder for. Or a Hagg. Not a 1st AND a 2nd AND a Hagg. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

That Flyer hockey you speak of is from decades and decades ago.

I'd love more Rick Tocchets. 

Ristolainen is just a dumb player who hits. He's a guy you give up a 3rd rounder for. Or a Hagg. Not a 1st AND a 2nd AND a Hagg. 

Well, we should STRIVE to get it back. We have lost our way. This soft **** is not us. Go back to the roots within the present rules. Lance Pitlick, although a bottom six guy played good hard nosed Flyer hockey. You can target talented hard nosed players through the draft and trades. Get back to basics...make them bleed and win at the same time. 

Agreed 100%. Risto is dead from the neck up. The eye test and every advanced stat bare out this brutal, yet honest truth. 

As far as I can see, we are doomed until Flyer upper management realizes Chuck SUCKS!! That will be 2 years of dead time!!

Edited by jammer2

Just now, jammer2 said:

Well, we should STRIVE to get it back. We have lost our way. This soft **** is not us. Go back to the roots within the present rules. Lance Pitlick, although a bottom six guy played good hard nosed Flyer hockey. You can target talented hard nosed players through the draft and trades. Get back to basics...make them bleed and win at the same time. 

Agreed 100%. Risto is dead from the neck up. The eye test and every advanced stat bear out this brutal, yet honest truth. 

As far as I can see, we are doomed until Flyer upper management realizes Chuck SUCKS!! That will be 2 years of dead time!!

The problem is upper Flyer management would have done the same thing...its Paul Holmgren! 

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The problem is upper Flyer management would have done the same thing...its Paul Holmgren! 

HA! True enough...bring back the crazy ex goalie who was scared to trade!!

44 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

No he isn't! Period end of story .....  show me his offensive prowess ...

image.png.51a2ff547318ebac656e02af7f74301d.png

In 2020/21 season he does NOT even make top 25 in scoring defensemen.

In 2019/20 he is #37 in scoring defesemen.

In 2018/19 he is #26

In 2017/18 he is #29

In 2016/17 he is #15 (his best year)

In 2015/16 he is #24

In 2014/15 he does NOT even in top 50.  His rookie year ....

NO he does not score unless he is playing his x-box ....

Well his toughness will com in handy Pil

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Or less, apparently

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

What's sadder is there are idiot Flyer fans on Facebook who think this is a great move. (SMH)

I'm not kidding either ....there are fans singing Fletcher's praises.    (SMH again)

Twitter, too.

I think they largely consist of fans who only watch (occasional) Flyers games and vaguely remember Risto was drafted high. Or they've seen him against only the Flyers.   You know, Philly fans.

There is no way you watch Risto play or play fantasy hockey and think this deal made the slightest sense.  He's simply terrible.  Buffalo did really well here.

• Like 2