First it was Toronto, then it was Edmonton. Buffalo took over from them...but move over, the Flyers are becoming the biggest joke in the NHL

flyercanuck

10 hours ago, radoran said:

Jones reportedly wouldn't commit to signing with the Flyers.

Can you blame him???

This is a dumpster fire and will be for a while now with the steps Chuckles has taken now.

I loved the Ellis trade but then to follow it with this....i just have to face it there will be no good Flyers hockey to watch for another decade....i pray to sweet baby Jesus there is some genius here i am just to dumb to see...

:BrownBag:

On 7/23/2021 at 5:24 PM, flyercanuck said:

Out

Nolan Patrick (22)

Phillipe Myers (24)

Shayne Gostisbehere (28)

Radko Gudas (29)

Robert Hagg (26)

Ryan Hartman (24)

Michael Raffl (32)

They sure pulled the plug quick on Myers.  

I used to be proud to be a Flyers fan. For decades and decades I knew my team was always in the hunt for the cup. Maybe they'd have a couple years where they were mediocre, but then they'd be right back up there competing for the holy grail of hockey. 

You're not kidding!  The Flyers, Blues, Canadiens, and Bruins are the winning"est" teams in NHL history..... at least during the regular season.  Did I miss anyone?  :) 

Then Paul Holmgren came along. Sure all the planets aligned that one season and the team with the worst goaltending ever seen in a Stanley Cup final made it that far, only to lose to a team with a slightly less inferior goalie. After a few more years of trading 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th round picks for a constant revolving door of guys that used to be good, he was fired....and promoted at the same time. And now he's hired himself as GM again. Well not his actual self, but a clone...a guy who thinks along the same lines and despite his long career as a GM has also never won a f***ing thing! Never! 

So now, instead of a bad year meaning the Flyers will be mediocre, that's now our benchmark. It's what we strive to achieve. Mediocrity! Sell the farm for it! 

Until I see the Flyers miss the playoffs for ~5 consecutive years I can't agree with your assessment.  The Flyers never go down. Two things I'll never see in my life:

1. The Flyers going through a rebuilding phase where they suffer tough times (for more than one season in a row).
  2. The Leafs finishing ahead of the Bruins in the standings.

;) 

On 7/28/2021 at 11:24 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

You're not kidding!  The Flyers, Blues, Canadiens, and Bruins are the winning"est" teams in NHL history..... at least during the regular season.  Did I miss anyone?  :) 

Until I see the Flyers miss the playoffs for ~5 consecutive years I can't agree with your assessment.  The Flyers never go down. Two things I'll never see in my life:

1. The Flyers going through a rebuilding phase where they suffer tough times (for more than one season in a row).
  2. The Leafs finishing ahead of the Bruins in the standings.

;) 

The Flyers management doesn't know what it means to rebuild where they suffer tough times for more than one year, they just kept "retooling". As for your Leafs, they're going to be in tough this coming year going back to their old division, hopefully Mrazek is the answer in net but they need to shore up the defense.

9 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

The Flyers management doesn't know what it means to rebuild where they suffer tough times for more than one year, they just kept "retooling". As for your Leafs, they're going to be in tough this coming year going back to their old division, hopefully Mrazek is the answer in net but they need to shore up the defense.

I think Mrazek will be the backup. 

I have no reason to believe the Leafs are a TOP 3 team in their normal division. They haven't made a noteworthy acquisition thus far to improve the team, and they're still losing talented depth guys.  :( 

On 7/28/2021 at 9:24 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Until I see the Flyers miss the playoffs for ~5 consecutive years I can't agree with your assessment.

1990 to 1994

feel free to agree now

and the Sabres spending a total of $1.5 million for their goaltending next season, not signing any significant FAs and inability to trade their injured chia pet have put the Sabres back in the lead as the biggest joke. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Samifan said:

and the Sabres spending a total of $1.5 million for their goaltending next season, not signing any significant FAs and inability to trade their injured chia pet have put the Sabres back in the lead as the biggest joke. 

they are tanking on purpose

30 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think Mrazek will be the backup. 

I have no reason to believe the Leafs are a TOP 3 team in their normal division. They haven't made a noteworthy acquisition thus far to improve the team, and they're still losing talented depth guys.  :( 

I think Mrazek will be the starter or Campbell and him will split the games.

On 7/28/2021 at 11:24 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Has the tools but struggles to display any hockey IQ when pressed real hard or is required to process quickly and know what he is suppose to do or where he needs to be and it was causing trouble between him and Sanheim because Sanheim is also working on his own issues.

He'll never be a top 3 D man but he is a good option for a bottom pair on a team. He may be able to rebound some in Nashville but the Flyer brass had grown impatient with him. He isn't far from a finished product and well that isn't good enough for the Flyers. He happens many never reach their projections.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:10 AM, CoachX said:

at this point i'd take him over anyone currently involved with the Flyers

He would at least make for a more entertaining product, since he would certainly add more goons.

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Seems like that’s been their PR slogan for years.  “Buffalo Sabres Hockey- tanking on purpose”

This just in...the Buffalo Sabres have traded for point guard Ben Simmons.

• Haha 2

On 7/24/2021 at 11:14 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Can you blame him???

This is a dumpster fire and will be for a while now with the steps Chuckles has taken now.

I loved the Ellis trade but then to follow it with this....i just have to face it there will be no good Flyers hockey to watch for another decade....i pray to sweet baby Jesus there is some genius here i am just to dumb to see...

:BrownBag:

We all kid here about it at times, but to be brutally honest..until Holmgren, Clarke (I don't care if people say he's not here, he's a puppetmaster IMHO) Scott and Comcast and other related corporate crap get out of here, we're going to have more of the same. The sheep will keep pouring into the WFC, and giving this franchise undeserved money. I will not.

On another note, I was a fan of what Fletcher did this off-season, even though I wanted Giroux to be traded. That is, until he brought in that stiff Martin Jones to backup Carter Hart in net. Here we go again, undervaluing the most important position on the ice. This Flyers organization really does have a serious learning disability.

14 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

On another note, I was a fan of what Fletcher did this off-season, even though I wanted Giroux to be traded.

I can live with Giroux. I mean even on a struggling team he produced. Sure he isn't top 20 in the NHL maybe but still a solid player. 43 points in 53 games is solid if not spectacular. I am just glad Jake is gone.

I would be ok if Giroux was to be reupped for another 2 years.

Might not be the popular opinion but if he signs for around what Getzlaf signed for 4.5 mill 9 mill total i would be down with that.

I think there would be hole right now moving on from him. But i also would listen to offers for him at the deadline if they are not playing well....Coots too. The retool needs to continue.

This is a results based job....and the results will dictate what my actions would be. I feel a playoff run coming...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I feel a playoff run coming.

I don't. Although this team improved, and the defense improved quite a bit...we needed a better backup goalie option than Martin Jones, if Hart is very slow returning to his form of two seasons ago. We also need more depth at center and wing.

Edited by FD19372

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

we needed a better backup goalie option than Martin Jones

We'll see.

I will wait to see him play with an improved defense in front of these goalies as well as a forward group committed to playing hard back checking in front of these guys i can see a rebound coming. Confidence goes a long way.

I think we see an improved Hart and Jones pushing each other to be better.

We have 3 new defenders in front of these guys each bringing different skillsets and leadership.

Clean slate for everyone.

Guess we'll see who is right.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can live with Giroux. I mean even on a struggling team he produced. Sure he isn't top 20 in the NHL maybe but still a solid player. 43 points in 53 games is solid if not spectacular. I am just glad Jake is gone.

I would be ok if Giroux was to be reupped for another 2 years.

Might not be the popular opinion but if he signs for around what Getzlaf signed for 4.5 mill 9 mill total i would be down with that.

I think there would be hole right now moving on from him. But i also would listen to offers for him at the deadline if they are not playing well....Coots too. The retool needs to continue.

This is a results based job....and the results will dictate what my actions would be. I feel a playoff run coming...

its an even year, so its a given. if they have more than 11 fighting majors, its a lock. if they have more than 55 fighting majors, they will make the finals

follow the science, trust the bourbon

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

We'll see.

I will wait to see him play with an improved defense in front of these goalies as well as a forward group committed to playing hard back checking in front of these guys i can see a rebound coming. Confidence goes a long way.

I think we see an improved Hart and Jones pushing each other to be better.

We have 3 new defenders in front of these guys each bringing different skillsets and leadership.

Clean slate for everyone.

Guess we'll see who is right.

I think an often forgotten factor in all this is AV. the guy can coach and knows how to win. many appear to just be writing off these players as not able to improve. I think, if not mistaken, AV coaches with an emphasis on defense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

.we needed a better backup goalie option than Martin Jones, if Hart is very slow returning to his form of two seasons ago.

and if he's not?

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

We also need more depth at center and wing.

Seriously? We have Nate Thompson. Somewhere John Sim is tweeting, "HOLY FCK THEY GOT NATE THOMPSON"

• Haha 2