OEL/Garland dealt to Canucks

After literally two years of OEL trade rumors it has finally come to pass.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson and scoring winger Conor Garland have been dealt to the Canucks for 4th line center Jay Beagle, 4th line winger Antoinne Roussel, the wretched Loui Eriksson and a handful of picks.

The picks are: tonights first (number 9 giving the Coyotes a first to replace the one they lost because of cheating) a 7th this week and a second next year. As part of the deal the Coyotes are eating a small part of OEL's salary.

Highway robbery for the Canucks, clearly this and the other moves, adding Ladd for picks, taking on Ghost and his contract while getting picks, trading Adin Hill for picks,  the thirty year rebuild in Arizona continues.....

Garland is a hell of a good young forward, he was on pace over a full 82 game season last year to have 65 points. Great on ice vision, IMHO he is an underrated under the radar forward. OEL will combine with Hughes to give a dynamic duo on the back end on the power play.

Rumor is they are now shopping Boeser. Time will tell with that.

Slam dunk win for the Canucks, as good a trade as there is, dumping Loui, Beagle, Roussel all with bad contracts, yeah they lost a top ten pick and a second next year but the cost is minimal if the Canucks are now a true Western Conference contender.

• Like 1

I like this trade for my third string team Vancouver for a couple reasons:

----As Yave stated, Nucks get rid of some bad contracts of guys who were less than impactful. Roussel MAY have been a big loss, but he no longer is the fireplug he used to be.

----The Canucks, at their best, are known for their offense and goal scoring. They just strengthened that by adding OEL and Garland.
They might actually have a complete top six now.

The Pacific Division is far from 'stacked' so if the Canucks are going to make a move and try to win sooner than later with their current core, this is the time to do it and this trade helps.

Downsides for Vancouver here are:
---Loss of picks...but honestly, if they have an eye for doing something now instead of 4 or 5 years from now, the picks are inconsequential compared to what they got back. Not like the team is aging out and need any and all draft picks they can get.

---Defense still looks a bit soft to me.
OEL should help the two way game from the blue line, but he hardly is intimidating. Nate Schmidt is a fine enough defenseman, but again, he won't put the fear of anything on any forward looking to prance around the zone.

Alex Edler likely won't be back (he might even be done) and a youngster like Quinn Hughes' games is offense and running the PP, not knocking people into the 5th row.
Tyler Myers? Doesn't always play up to his size of 6'7.

Thatcher Demko may have more bothersome forwards in his grill than he would like unless Vancouver does something about toughening up that defense.

For Arizona....man, I don't even know.
They kept looking like a team about to turn the proverbial corner for a few seasons, and now, once again, they look like a team that will be a bottom feeder, especially moving to the tougher Central Division, and one destined to get more high draft picks.

If ONLY they knew what to do with those draft picks......

@TropicalFruitGirl26

It seems like decades ago (instead of a year and a half) that the Coyotes traded for Taylor Hall as the missing piece for a playoff run. Since then, the collapse is epic, six of the top ten scorers are gone as are Raanta and Hill in net. The return has been putrid for the most part, in fact of their top six players on last years surprisingly decent defense, Chychrun is still there but OEL, Demers, Oesterle, Hjarlmarsson and Goligoski are all gone. a bad team is now a shell of what it once was. Truthfully they may be biblically bad next year.

As far as Vancouver, the trio of Hughes, Schmidt and OEL is fantastic, it is no big loss from Edler, he was a shell last year. Tyler Myers is a great number four, Juolevi has a ton of potential and like I mentioned Boeser is on the market. I wouldnt trade him but if they add a top pair shut down guy to go with the offense the others bring the Canucks literally could have the best defense top to bottom in the game. 

• Like 1

Trade: Canucks land Ekman-Larsson, Garland in massive deal with Coyotes

Trade: Canucks land Ekman-Larsson, Garland in massive deal with Coyotes
Getty Images

•  

Trades keep piling up around 2021 NHL Draft weekend; the Canucks and Coyotes may have combined for the most jaw-dropping trade yet.

The simplest explanation is that the Canucks traded for Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Conor Garland, while the Coyotes continued to stockpile futures by using excess cap space.

From here, it seems like another big win for the Coyotes, who also landed draft picks to take on Shayne Gostisbehere.

Canucks trade for Oliver Ekman-Larsson (OEL), Garland; Coyotes land draft picks

Here are the full details of that resounding OEL trade between the Canucks and Coyotes.

Canucks receive: Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Conor Garland.

Coyotes receive: Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, Jay Beaglethe ninth pick of the 2021 NHL Draft, a 2022 second-round pick, and a seventh-rounder in 2023.

Another way to quickly summarize the OEL trade is to say that the Canucks are in win-now mode with Ekman-Larsson, while the Coyotes are focused squarely on the future.

ARI/VAN cap hit details:#Canucks clear $4.74M this season#Canucks take on $7.26M for the remaining 6 years of OEL's contract (and the value they sign Garland to)https://t.co/P7rR5cl7aR

— CapFriendly (@CapFriendly) July 23, 2021

Crucially, Roussel, Eriksson, and Beagle all see their cap hits expire after next season. Meanwhile, Garland will need a new contract, so it’s difficult to totally summarize the money savings for the Canucks.

More to come …

• Like 1

In pretty short order, the Canucks are going to regret having Ekman-Larsson on their (already bad) blueline. He hasn't been good for several years now, there's no sign of him getting better, but he's getting paid like he still is. Garland is a nice complimentary piece, but he still has to sign his RFA contract, and will need to be paid.

I think that in not very long, the Canucks will rue this day.

edit - if OEL doesn't bounce back, at least somewhat, this could be a crippling trade for Vancouver. The cap hit they traded out was for one year, but the cap hit they brought in is for 6 more. I could get this bet if he was coming off of *1* bad year, but 3 in a row? This is a very bad idea.

Edited by JR Ewing

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

In pretty short order, the Canucks are going to regret having Ekman-Larsson on their (already bad) blueline. He hasn't been good for several years now, there's no sign of him getting better, but he's getting paid like he still is. Garland is a nice complimentary piece, but he still has to sign his RFA contract, and will need to be paid.

edit - if OEL doesn't bounce back, at least somewhat, this could be a crippling trade for Vancouver. The cap hit they traded out was for one year, but the cap hit they brought in is for 6 more. I could get this bet if he was coming off of *1* bad year, but 3 in a row? This is a very bad idea.

I'm going to hope OEL's last three years was more a product of his environment.
Vancouver's more up tempo, offensive minded playstyle may be better suited for him....along with the other cliches of "change of scenery", etc, etc.

Like I said in my post, I still worry about how tough that defense is, otherwise, Thatcher Demko is going to find it VERY difficult to do his job.

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I believe the top four of hughes oel myers schmidt is quality and Idont believe they are done. I think a lot of their bad defense woes was a rotten holtby and a young inexperienced demko. oel on the second pair without as much pressure and a ppqb should and will bounce back ala Barrie in Edmonton.

18 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I believe the top four of hughes oel myers schmidt is quality and Idont believe they are done. I think a lot of their bad defense woes was a rotten holtby and a young inexperienced demko. oel on the second pair without as much pressure and a ppqb should and will bounce back ala Barrie in Edmonton.

I'm a fan OEL's and since the first time I saw him, made sure to pay special attention. I do hope he can bounce back, but I honestly have my doubts: I think he's been starting to slip in the skating department. Most of his teammates had a better share of the goals, expected goals, chances, dangerous changes, shots, and possession when they weren't on the ice with him compared to when they played together, and it definitely wasn't because they were facing the toughest opponents. Chycrun and Goligoski were doing that.

He'll very likely be on the 2nd pair in Vancouver, but he was in Arizona last year, too. Rick Tocchet has cut Ekman-Larsson's minutes against tough competition for several years now. From PuckIQ, which tracks how players do against varying levels of competition:

Time on Ice Against Elite, Middle, and "Gritensity"

2019: 40.2%, 32.0%, 27.8%

2020: 35.0%, 36.7%, 28.2%

2021: 18.4%, 41.9%, 39.7%

In only three seasons, OEL has gone from being trusted enough by Tocchet to play 40% of his minutes against the best players in the NHL to playing less than half of what he used to. Something seems to be up, and I'm not a sure that a change in scenery, where he'll also be playing 2nd pairing minutes, is the cure.

I would LOVE to be wrong though, because this is a player I like very much.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1