Flyers traded .... but Captain G is still here

phlfly

Giroux is still with Flyers and saga will continue. First 10 games good, next 15 lost..90%.... miss playoffs again. As this guy can't play a full season good. I would send him for bunch picks and considerations just to get rid of him. So young guys can play forever and find to way win games.

Giroux is the least of the Flyers problems.  I can't believe Dave Brown is still the head of scouting when Chuckles seems to have no interest in keeping draft picks knowing the Flyer scouts wouldn't know talent if it bit them in the a$$.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

Giroux is far from the least, but also not the most pressing issue. He is like all Flyers for the past 20 years, a player overrated by Flyer management who is now a diminishing asset.  He is the captain of a team that quit multiple times last year. He has had a decent career as a Flyer, bad timing on his part being there through the management meltdown. His only value to the team today is as a trade chip at the trade deadline this year.

2 hours ago, phlfly said:

Giroux is still with Flyers and saga will continue. First 10 games good, next 15 lost..90%.... miss playoffs again. As this guy can't play a full season good. I would send him for bunch picks and considerations just to get rid of him. So young guys can play forever and find to way win games.

G is Suk!

welcome back stranger.

6 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I stated elsewhere, it would be sneaky if G was traded to a contender at the deadline, with a high pick coming back for next years draft

Then Coots sews on the "C"

This assumes the team is struggling and not in the playoff picture, yes?

If they're playing .590 and are top 3 team in the division then this is not happening. 

I don't think this is going to be a bad team this year. 

For starters it's an even # ending year, but also...

I think the players added and subtracted have made the team harder to play against and they'll win more games.

I'm also counting on Carter Hart reverting to the mean. Which means he'll be a lot better. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This assumes the team is struggling and not in the playoff picture, yes?

If they're playing .590 and are top 3 team in the division then this is not happening. 

I don't think this is going to be a bad team this year. 

For starters it's an even # ending year, but also...

I think the players added and subtracted have made the team harder to play against and they'll win more games.

I'm also counting on Carter Hart reverting to the mean. Which means he'll be a lot better. 

yeah. clearly im suggesting this with the thought they would be out of the playoff picture

if they aren't, you have to keep him. on topic though, i'd like to see G bounce back. maybe these moves send him a littel message. i've been arguing for a while that there was a cancer in the locker room. well, i think its been cut out. if G was ever going to step up, now is the time

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

G is Suk!

welcome back stranger.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

G is suk!!!!!!!!!!!

:horn:

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@phlfly

this was topic was perfectly timed and provided a great laugh.

good to see you around.

Hey guys I love to see here and I seen ruxy bear too. Still , he didn't reply yet.  I been working a lot and busy to overland truck based on Nissan Titan . But still same , reside in VA near DC kids players sports my daughter got into DA development academy top league soccer my son still plays hockey getting better but missed travel this year as surprised us too many people tried out . 

Flyers.... oh boy don't get me started here it was so disappointing to watch couple years in row just thought to cancel NHL subscription but I can't even my truck has a huge Flyers P on back of bed topper.  

It looks like they are solving D but G is just needed to go I don't care what we get for him 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I stated elsewhere, it would be sneaky if G was traded to a contender at the deadline, with a high pick coming back for next years draft

A high pick coming back in a Fletcher trade....lmao...good one!

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Vegas is looking for center help....just saying and sending him to a contender...

:bigteeth:

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

I am probably in the minority here but G has earned the right to stay here as long as he wants. 

In a non-capped league I might agree with you.

In the league the owners have created I'm not so sure.

Giroux was put in an impossible position by incompetent management being asked to be a center and a captain having never filled either role at any level and with barely any OJT.

I just don't agree his production is equal to the top players in the league over his career. There have been flashes but no consistent production.

Heck, his breakout season that reversed years of steady declaine is when they moved him back to wing.

I don't hate the player, but as the face of the franchise he has presided over the worst stretch of hockey in its history.

I have a hard time separating the two.

And I fully expect them to keep him as a "career Flyer" regardless.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, radoran said:

just don't agree his production is equal to the top players in the league over his career. There have been flashes but no consistent production.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2010s-nhl-players-stats.html

Assist wise that’s some pretty good company the past decade IMO 

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, radoran said:

but as the face of the franchise he has presided over the worst stretch of hockey in its history.

Man when you said it like that wow it just cuts like a knife brutal.

The worst part is it is true.

I think I will throw up now...

:sick:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Samifan said:

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2010s-nhl-players-stats.html

Assist wise that’s some pretty good company the past decade IMO

And I get that. Voracek is #18 on that list. Is Voracek on your list of Top 20 players over the last 10 years?

G, Tavares, and Wheeler are the only non-Cup winners in the top 10.

It's also somewhat telling when you sort by points per 60 minutes in all situations he's 23rd.

Next season is a defining moment in his career. Does he shake off the stink of this season and take advantage of the shakeups to the roster to LEAD a team to success?

We'll see...

I HOPE he does it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

And I get that. Voracek is #18 on that list. Is Voracek on your list of Top 20 players over the last 10 years?

You had to go and invoke Voracek, I can never defend him.  I concede. Disregard my previous posts I stand corrected, G is suk 🤣

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

sami, it's just frustrating to watch him every year as he does not ready to play 80 games per season but he has lots time to use twitter with his wife . I don't care his personal life as I'm somehow pay his salary with NHL subscription . he needs put aside his child and wife unless he can go back to family and take care them but away from Flyers organization. I replied to his wife one time, he needs 150% on this game as she twitted they missed him a lot, and of course Flyers lots all away games. the guy has pro skills but he is not pro as he is too much sentimental 

I'm not here to watch his romance with his wife, I'm here to watch a f.... ing Flyers games 

Edited by phlfly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, phlfly said:

sami, it's just frustrating to watch him every year as he does not ready to play 80 games per season but he has lots time to use twitter with his wife . I don't care his personal life as I'm somehow pay his salary with NHL subscription . he needs put aside his child and wife unless he can go back to family and take care them but away from Flyers organization. I replied to his wife one time, he needs 150% on this game as she twitted they missed him a lot, and of course Flyers lots all away games. the guy has pro skills but he is not pro as he is too much sentimental 

I'm not here to watch his romance with his wife, I'm here to watch a f.... ing Flyers games 

Funny I don’t see G post on social media that often.

If your talking about players & their families posting stuff when the entire league was in the bubble I don’t see anything wrong with that after all their human beings. 

Aa I mentioned originally, I realize I am in the minority here when it comes to Giroux. 

The Flyers addressed the biggest issue by moving the lazy floater with the pissy attitude and outrageous contract. They also improved their D and got a bit tougher.  Hoping they find a decent BUG for Hart Wednesday. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Samifan said:

Funny I don’t see G post on social media that often.

If your talking about players & their families posting stuff when the entire league was in the bubble I don’t see anything wrong with that after all their human beings. 

Aa I mentioned originally, I realize I am in the minority here when it comes to Giroux. 

The Flyers addressed the biggest issue by moving the lazy floater with the pissy attitude and outrageous contract. They also improved their D and got a bit tougher.  Hoping they find a decent BUG for Hart Wednesday. 

I won't say everything is fixed and they are ready to go but not having Jake around will remind others that if they too don't buy in and bring it they could be next.

It is time to not accept mediocrity.

It's Cup or bust every year.

If not now then when. Right they have 11 forwards who I think are ready to push hard for a playoff run deeper than the last one.

Now they just have to go do it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, radoran said:

I just don't agree his production is equal to the top players in the league over his career. There have been flashes but no consistent production

So how do you explain all those points then?

This sentence makes it seem like there are years when he doesn't break 50 points or something. Shortened seasons excepted, that hasn't happened.

He's played in the league for a long time. In his 943 games he's amassed 858 points. In the last 10 years only Kane and Crosby have more points.

NHL Player Stats in Last 10 Seasons (quanthockey.com)

There has been consistent production. There have been years where he's had superstar production and years when he was coming back from surgery for example, where he had merely good player production. There were years where if he wasn't on the ice the team didn't score. 

Hasn't won, is not dominant, isn't a vocal leader, grabbed a cop's ass...there are areas where valid points can be made.

I understand those criticisms but "hasn't produced" requires push back.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Good Post 2

13 hours ago, radoran said:

Next season is a defining moment in his career. Does he shake off the stink of this season and take advantage of the shakeups to the roster to LEAD a team to success?

We'll see...

I HOPE he does it.

I was saying the same thing.

He probably is a lifetime Flyer.  I guess I'm ok with that. But this is a defining year. If the Flyers fund themselves outside looking in, come playoff time, I'd look to trade him, hopefully for a high pick in next year's draft. Bring in an asset while shedding salary. 

And regardless of his stats, if you look at the player and what he means to the team, he is not more valuable then Timmonin was, he they moved him when the time was right 

• Like 1