Jake Voracek is GONE!!!!!!

On paper, this team has a better leadership core than last year. Let's hope that impacts play. 

Now we turn to goal. CF hopes Carter Hart returns to form but has think about a solid backup if that isn't the case. He also has to see if the youngins can grow. Otherwise we are, as others say, a marginally better team. I'd almost say we would be repeating 2008. Homer brought in some statesmen and we had a surprise playoff run. But that team didn't really have a long shelf life.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

I didn't have a specific name in mind, no.  But intuitively, something tells me that a contending team would perhaps be willing to pay more to land Jake... Despite all our aversion for him - albeit a deserve done - he still has quite a bit to offer.  I don't know... but getting our second draft pick back, which we gave up to get freaking Ristolainen, would be 

I doubt the Flyers just took the first offer that came along. It can be argued that JV was worth more, but that's a fan perspective. Just like most,  myself included, thought ghost was worth more. Apparently,  he wasn't. I don't think a contender made an offer and Fletcher turned it down just to annoy us

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

On paper, this team has a better leadership core than last year. Let's hope that impacts play. 

Now we turn to goal. CF hopes Carter Hart returns to form but has think about a solid backup if that isn't the case. He also has to see if the youngins can grow. Otherwise we are, as others say, a marginally better team. I'd almost say we would be repeating 2008. Homer brought in some statesmen and we had a surprise playoff run. But that team didn't really have a long shelf life.

Good post sir.

I say anything better is still better. Hope generates interest for me. And it is there again. One thing that stands out to me, like the moves or not, CF has done what he said and made major changes. So I will take him at his word that he will sign a back up and pay the remaining players what is needed. 

In my eyes they are better, much more interesting, and I dont have to watch Patrick, Myers or Voracek anymore

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

One thing that stands out to me, like the moves or not, CF has done what he said and made major changes. So I will take him at his word that he will sign a back up and pay the remaining players what is needed. 

In my eyes they are better, much more interesting, and I dont have to watch Patrick, Myers or Voracek anymore

His interview on the NHL network was interesting. 

Came right out and said to expect better results from the same players was foolish.

Pointed the finger at himself for last season while saying the leadership of the team was not good. 

Mentioned more than once about all the players he brought in were leaders on their teams. 

If the captain isn't a vocal, challenging guy then he needs some help, once Hartnell & Simmonds were gone that voice was lost. (he didn't say that -I am).

A lot of people here like to say Chuck is a dipshit and whatever. 

He's made some bad decisions as we've seen recounted over and over.

However, He built some good teams in Minnesota, they were legitimately good for the first 4 years of the Suter / Parise era, they had bad luck that the Blackhawks were better and they ran into Jake Allen who made a career out of 5 games against them where he posted .960 sv% after not breaking .910  before. 

Chuck had some bad luck with his good teams. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

I don't know if it's good or bad, I don't what would be better Jake or Giroux out ? Flyers shake the locker room, but would G responded to it and play his best 80 games season? we shall see 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Much better leadership and  having players who play hard has to rub off on the younger guys and improve their game. The defense has been improved, now we need some younger players to take it up a notch and score some big goals...Konecny, Farabee, Allison and Lindblom all have to become the offensive catalysts for this team.

• Like 4

Just now, RonJeremy said:

Much better leadership and  having players who play hard has to rub off on the younger guys and improve their game. The defense has been improved, now we need some younger players to take it up a notch and score some big goals...Konecny, Farabee, Allison and Lindblom all have to become the offensive catalysts for this team.

And having guys who can help lead will go a long way.

It's hard for G to be a single parent.

Coots is there for him it seems but like G isn't very vocal either.

I hope Ellis and Cam come in and help guide the flock to where they need to be headed that means competing from the starting whistle to the end a full 60 minute effort and calling out guys who over extend their shifts or the one who aren't buying in and helping fore check and back check.

Everyone must chip in to win.

• Like 2

Hoping Ellis and Atkinson have a voice in the room. From everything we have read and seen, G’s not that vocal guy. Losing Hartnell and Simmer removed vocal support people for G. Hayes is vocal but in a jokester kind of way so I’m sure that doesn’t help. Not sure about Coots? Maybe Provy will be comfortable taking more of a vocal role? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Hoping Ellis and Atkinson have a voice in the room. From everything we have read and seen, G’s not that vocal guy. Losing Hartnell and Simmer removed vocal support people for G. Hayes is vocal but in a jokester kind of way so I’m sure that doesn’t help. Not sure about Coots? Maybe Provy will be comfortable taking more of a vocal role? 

On grit and determination alone, we should definitely be a much better team. The real key is Risto, if he can play physical ,sound positional hockey and we have to cut down the GAA big time. If he is a colossal failure, then we are in trouble because, we have nobody that is capable of filling that spot. Braun is horrible, Morin has no experience and York is very talented,  but unless he really is the next Leetch, we cant expect him to fill that role yet. On a good note if Risto is a flop, then Shmuck Felcher is out the door...so it's a win win situation. 

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

The real key is Risto, if he can play physical

You know damn well if he plays too physical it will be an automatic suspension from Bettman because he’s wearing Orange and Black now. 

🎯

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Samifan said:

You know damn well if he plays too physical it will be an automatic suspension from Bettman because he’s wearing Orange and Black now. 

🎯

I'm glad you said that because once he puts the sweater on his game will get called way different than in Buffalo.

Don't believe we have seen it with Morin being so much bigger than everyone they seem to call it every time he makes a bone crunching but legal looking hit.

It just seems so unfair with these refs.

Can't wait to see the calls that will be coming in from the zebras.

We will be pissed it is only a matter of time.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

I will have eggs and tomatoes thrown at me, but the projected first line (Coots, Atkinson, and G) should be number 2. I wish they'd have Mr. Farabee unleashed with others, put Coots on second (preserve his career and G's to boot), get Hayes on third, and construct a fourth line for checking, PK, other.  That would be a helluva team to defend against and very sound defensively.  

Yes, our D should be better.  But you win by outscoring the opponent.  That in part is keeping the puck in the other guy's zone.   I'd almost give Frost or other a try and start developing our first line of the future.  Coots, Atkinson, and G may be declining.  Let's start ascending on a new first, even if there's hiccups.  

Just a thought...now start the eggs and tomatoes!

Howie

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I will have eggs and tomatoes thrown at me, but the projected first line (Coots, Atkinson, and G) should be number 2. I wish they'd have Mr. Farabee unleashed with others, put Coots on second (preserve his career and G's to boot), get Hayes on third, and construct a fourth line for checking, PK, other.  That would be a helluva team to defend against and very sound defensively.  

Yes, our D should be better.  But you win by outscoring the opponent.  That in part is keeping the puck in the other guy's zone.   I'd almost give Frost or other a try and start developing our first line of the future.  Coots, Atkinson, and G may be declining.  Let's start ascending on a new first, even if there's hiccups.  

Howie

At this point why not.

That is what camp and preseason is for to look at stuff like this.

The cream will rise to the top....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

HAHA! Just Kidding! (Heads must have been spinning half way through that post!!!!)

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet.

You completely had me. I thought I was on Parlor for a second.

Well-played

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Howie

I’m predicting Allison will be on the first or second line in short order. He is gonna be a  Mike Knuble / Tim Kerr type  of finisher . I’m not saying he’s gonna score 50 goals, but he will be one of our top goal scorers.

14 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

He built some good teams in Minnesota

Name one.

And I am likely the biggest Koivu fan on this board.

Even with the Wild fans.

Seriously to say he "built" a competitive Wild team is absurd.

That's a quote - not a paraphrase.

Edited by radoran

18 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

A lot of people here like to say Chuck is a dipshit and whatever. 

He's made some bad decisions as we've seen recounted over and over.

However, He built some good teams in Minnesota, they were legitimately good for the first 4 years of the Suter / Parise era, they had bad luck that the Blackhawks were better and they ran into Jake Allen who made a career out of 5 games against them where he posted .960 sv% after not breaking .910  before. 

Chuck had some bad luck with his good teams. 

What's a good team to you?

Fletcher won a grand total of two (that's TWO) playoff rounds in his entire tenure as the Minnesota Wilds GM. And they weren't in the same season. If that isn't mediocre, at best, I don't know what is. 

This past decade has been the worst in Flyer history. THE WORST. They've won two playoff rounds.

Congrats to Chuck and those Minnesota Wild juggernauts he assembled. They went deeeeep into April that one year (by deep I mean into the first week). They even won 2 games in round two. Total. In his career there.

I can see the lure to snatch him up as general manager before someone else did. (there wasn't really anyone else)

Edited by flyercanuck