Flyers resign Sam Morin to another year

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/flyers-re-sign-samuel-morin-1-year-contract

Samuel Morin said he felt he was meant to be a Flyer.

On Monday, he stayed a Flyer.

The club re-signed Morin to a one-year, $750,000 contract extension. The 6-foot-6 defenseman was set to hit unrestricted free agency, which opens Wednesday at noon ET.

Morin, a 2013 first-round draft pick, played a career-high 20 games last season. He started 2020-21 with a switch to left winger, but eventually moved back to defense and fared well. Injuries, including a pair of torn ACLs, limited him to nine combined games over the previous four seasons.

The 26-year-old Morin is expected to battle with Cam York and other depth candidates for a spot in the Flyers' season-opening lineup. The club's defense has been reshaped with the additions of Ryan Ellis and Rasmus Ristolainen, along with the trades of Shayne Gostisbehere, Philippe Myers and Robert Hagg.

"The stuff I bring, I don't think a lot of guys bring it in this organization; it's kind of pretty rare now," Morin said in May at his end-of-the-season press conference. "I think I'm probably one of the toughest guys in the league, to be honest. Next year, we're going to play those big boys in the West and I'm kind of ready to prove it. I think I can bring something that no one here can bring. ... I feel I'm a Flyer."

Bring me the Twin Towers of Doom....do it...do it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Bring back the Bullies. 

Pencil Cam Atkins with three fights this season, the juice in Philly will be strong this year.

And let's not forget Laughtons obligatory one fight per season 

He's the only guy I know who can drop his gloves and have a better than average chance they will miss the ice

Not a bad signing at all for 750K.

I was saying to some Flyer fans in the chatbox the other day that if it does turn out the Flyers aren't going to win enough games to make the postseason, then at least they should be nasty to play against, make the other team earn that win, and generally not get pushed around on the ice.

Bringing in Risto (warts n all), trading for Ellis (good all around skill other teams will have to account for), and this signing of Morin helps in that regard on the blue line.
Although it also looks like Morin can play a 4th line position as well?

Either way, for 750K you get a big player, in his prime, who can skate reasonably well and should help in the sandpaper department.
If the Flyers retain NAK, maybe add in another forward with sandpaper and hair on his teeth (maybe Antoine Roussel could be had from the Yotes?), perhaps Philly can add that same kind of ornery play up front and not be bullied on the ice as much as they have the last two or three seasons.

• Like 1