The dust has settled (for now).....

Digityman

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

FIFY

Ersson and Ustimenko are about to apply some heavy pressure to Sandstrom.

He should be pushing hard for the backup spot behind Hart by the end of this and push whichever backup they sign out the door or his time maybe up soon here.

He turns 25 in January and if he isn't ready maybe you can throw him on the bust pile.

I hope not.

Thanks.  Not sure how I missed them.  Need more coffee.  I added them to the original post

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Prefer Farabee's speed and shot on the second...JVR can float on the 3rd.

Not sure Giroux holds up on the top line.

I wouldn't mind reuniting the Oskar, Coots and TK that was so amazing out the gates before Oskar got diagnosed

The ol Boston Terrier second line!!!

Farabee Hayes Atkinson

Hayes can't keep up with them and I think would actually hold them back which would waste Farabee/Atkinson.

Our two shoot first wings need to be with someone that can set them up.  Hayes isn't that guy.

That's why I had JVR - Hayes - NAK.   NAK can fly around and try to dig the puck off the boards for JVR/Hayes.  Also a pretty heavy line. 

Or of course you could totally mess around and try:

Farabee - Couturier – Atkinson
Frost - Giroux –  Allison
JVR – Hayes – Konecny
Lindblom – Laughton - NAK

That 2nd line could be lethal but small.

Edited by Digityman

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

JVR can float on the 3rd

Giving JVR Laughton as a center is ridiculous. And I've come around on Laughton as bottom six center.

JVR at $7M on the 3rd with Laughton and NAK is almost as silly as Buffalo playing Skinner in the bottom 6 - for $9M. He's not suited for the role and they aren't taking advantage of the skills he actually possesses.

15 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Hayes can't keep up with them

This is not true just checks the stats at the end of the year Farabee Hayes and Allison were on fire at the end of the year.

Check their stats.

And that was with an injured Hayes.

Sure he isn't as fast as them but what Hayes does is he slows the play down and makes stuff happen  as long as they get open.

I would did the stats up for you and post their numbers but I'm at work.

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

Giving JVR Laughton as a center is ridiculous. And I've come around on Laughton as bottom six center.

JVR at $7M on the 3rd with Laughton and NAK is almost as silly as Buffalo playing Skinner in the bottom 6 - for $9M. He's not suited for the role and they aren't taking advantage of the skills he actually possesses.

Ok sure so what are you suggesting...oh that is right nothing...please give me the honor of telling you why you're wrong...after you show me your lineup.

And please before you do don't tell me you're assigning some due to their cap hit.

I patently await...

:PopcornSmiley2:

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

I get your POV on JVR. I would still slot him in a 3rd line position. I suspect he was one of those who sided with the cancer known as Voracek. And he was sent a message when he was left unprotected. I still think the Flyers want to move him, and shed that salary. I don't see him being a factor for this team moving forward. In a black and white word, with his salary, he should be a top six guy. But in the gray world of flyers hockey, he's lazy, unmotivated and a huge under achiever. By demoting him to third line, maybe he gets the message that if he wants to stay, he better up his game. Otherwise he might find a new home at mid season

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I get your POV on JVR. I would still slot him in a 3rd line position. I suspect he was one of those who sided with the cancer known as Voracek. And he was sent a message when he was left unprotected. I still think the Flyers want to move him, and shed that salary. I don't see him being a factor for this team moving forward. In a black and white word, with his salary, he should be a top six guy. But in the gray world of flyers hockey, he's lazy, unmotivated and a huge under achiever. By demoting him to third line, maybe he gets the message that if he wants to stay, he better up his game. Otherwise he might find a new home at mid season

Exactly unless you want to take Giroux and slot him on the 3rd.

The best LWs and I'm not judging by points alone is Farabee and Lindblom.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And please before you do don't tell me you're assigning some due to their cap hit.

I still think the Flyers want to move him, and shed that salary.

Yes, I move him and retain some salary as needed to do it, pending the return.

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

By demoting him to third line, maybe he gets the message that if he wants to stay, he better up his game.

IIRC, he played a not insignificant amount of time on the 3rd last season...

• Like 1

Just now, radoran said:

IIRC, he played a not insignificant amount of time on the 3rd last season...

I think you are correct. His days are numbered...unless he finds a way to play his ass off

only issue is what can you get for him?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The best LWs and I'm not judging by points alone is Farabee and Lindblom.

The best LW on the team is Giroux.

I'm not saying they need to play JVR on the top six because of his salary, I'm saying JVR is a potential liability on the 3rd and pretty much is a square peg in a round hole on this roster.

only issue is what can you get for him?

Retain $2M and see if you can get a 2/3 for him?

I haven't perused the league intensively so not entirely sure of the market, but a potential top 6 LW c/should have some value at $5M.

I see what Hextall was trying to do with the signing, but I was never a big fan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, radoran said:

I'm not saying they need to play JVR on the top six because of his salary, I'm saying JVR is a potential liability on the 3rd and pretty much is a square peg in a round hole on this roster.

JVR is hole, for sure

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Retain $2M and see if you can get a 2/3 for him?

I haven't perused the league intensively so not entirely sure of the market, but a potential top 6 LW c/should have some value at $5M.

I see what Hextall was trying to do with the signing, but I was never a big fan.

we already have experience in paying other teams to take our players. I hate JVR almost as much as Jake, but not as much as laughton (irrelevant comment on my part). I'd do whatever to get rid of him

17 minutes ago, radoran said:

Ok ok yeah I feel ya I can do that count me in and it wouldn't take much just to move on from him.

17 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yeah he is slipping but yeah I'll give him the crown still.

I'm good with giving him another year to prove he still belongs.

I admit I hate busting his balls he is one of my favorite drafted guys in the last 20 years I would love to see him retire a Flyer at the right price.

So let get rid of JVR even if you have to pick up 2 mill per year of what is left.

Surely he might want to join Ghost in the desert...

Just now, radoran said:

I really don't think he's "done" with this roster revamp.

I hope not I still need some entertainment.

Free agency JUST started. Keep the retool going Chuckles not bad so far...got my popcorn ready (McDud style cold with lumpy butter, no salt because he back peddled and blocked it)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Digityman said:

I just can't see them finishing out of the PO's again

I could easily see this happening.  They probably don't make the playoffs if any one of these happens:

1.  Hart never gets his act together again.

2. Konecny doesn't regain his form.

3.  JVR, G, and Hayes are all <50pt players.

4.  Riskolainen is as bad as he was with Buffalo.

2 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

I could easily see this happening.  They probably don't make the playoffs if any one of these happens:

What? In the other thread you just said, "I don't see this team getting out of the second round even under the best of circumstances.

Imo their ceiling is making the playoffs and maybe wining one round.  That would require a number of things to go right, including Hart returning to at least his 19-20 form."

I'm past the point of taking anything you say seriously. Maybe you should just go back to complaining about everything.

31 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

1) Hart has always, and will be for the foreseeable future, the linchpin to this whole team.

2) Agree to an extent.  He just needs to return to pre-covid level.  Anything more is a boon.

3) Hayes might be the only one that wouldn't reach that if he plays like he did last year.  The other two can do that fairly easily being on PP1

4) Riskolainen on the 3rd pair, far less minutes than his 20+ he averaged in Buffalo is not going to drag this team down much (if at all) even if he was as 'bad' as he was in Buffalo. 

Edited by Digityman

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is not true just checks the stats at the end of the year Farabee Hayes and Allison were on fire at the end of the year.

Who really looks at stats anyway?  /s     Fine, try them there and see if they can match their production from last year.   If they can, great I'll allow it.  :)

Giroux - Couturier - Atkinson

Farabee - Hayes - Allison

JVR - Frost - Konecny

Lindblom - Laughton - NAK

This is still my off the wall option:

Farabee - Couturier – Atkinson
Frost - Giroux –  Allison
JVR – Hayes – Konecny
Lindblom – Laughton - NAK