The dust has settled (for now).....

Digityman

2 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

How does comcast ever make any money?

Plastics!

Well actually Comcast is a huge cable and internet provider. They are damn near a monopoly in East.  They also are an enormous content creator and distributor. 

Hockey operations is a vanity project 

Also, I'm reminded of a fun quote that says the way to make a small fortune owning a sports team is to start with a large one. 

sorry man, it looks like you walked into this one. 😀

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Well actually Comcast is a huge cable and internet provider. They are damn near a monopoly in East.  They also are an enormous content creator and distributor. 

Right, Comcast owns NBC/Universal.

I honestly doubt "The Flyers" are among the top 50 things "Comcast" thinks about on a monthly basis.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Well actually Comcast is a huge cable and internet provider. They are damn near a monopoly in East. 

And they have a huge amount of shares (basically owned by Black Rock 321,529,244 shares to be exact) and they well own damn near everything.

All the TV networks, the internet and all the stuff like youtube, Microsoft, Amazon facebook Tesla to name a few and well every damn thing...they own Big Pharma the media you start digging and well it is scary...them and Vanguard and that is around the whole world.

They own Apple and Android...so much for a monopoly huh.

Better yet what don't they own or have their hand in??

Crazy when they can own everything and all the media what they can convince the world of...

:PopcornSmiley2:

On 7/28/2021 at 9:00 AM, Digityman said:

This team as of today just feels different which is what most of us wanted.  Jake is gone, new leadership in the lockroom....It just feels like it changed.  Will it be better, worse or the same production/points wise.....not sure   

Players typically don't turn bad.   Hart, TK, Provorov, Lindblom (had a small excuse), and to some extent Hayes (although I fear it won't be much better on average) - they all didn't forget how to play.   They had off years and for whatever reason, they all had them at the same time.  I'd like to believe they all come back better at least, which should push them into the 6-8th spot just on that alone.   

Adding in a stronger Lindblom and a older Farabee, Allison and Frost who I'm convinced is going to be the first Flyer to win the Calder (even though I don't actually think he is eligible any more due to the 20 games the previous year).  Frost will be like Giroux was when he first came into the league.  He might start on the Phantoms to start the year but he'll quickly be called up and just take it from there.   He's got potential to be a 50+ point guy and if he has someone like Allison/Atkinson on his line, he'll hit 50+ assists in a few seasons.  I just wish he would have had the chance to live with Briere because I see a lot of Giroux similarities in Frost.  Size, weight, vision, hands, overall play....He might not be the Flyers first line center but he's got lots of potential if he can stay healthy.

Anyway, then Fletch fixed 3 of the 4 biggest issues on the team which could potentially push them up to the 4-6th.   And if it all comes together as it's dreamed about by Fletch, they are finishing the season 1-4th with home ice.

My guess is they finish 4th.

Funny because for a while there goalies and defense was what the Flyers actually had.   

Current goalies in the system:  Sandstrom, Ustimenko, Ersson, Tomek, Fedotov, Kolosov   (Thanks @OccamsRazor)

Sandstrom was supposed to be the guy at one point I think.  I saw him play once, he got lit up badly and pulled in the first period.  

25gp, 3.27gaa  .885  for the Royals in 2019-20

11gp, 3.19gaa  .903 for the Phantoms in 2020-21

Ustimenko - 6'3", 187lbs, 22yrs.   Lyon's backup?

46gp, 1.78gaa, .927 in 2018-19 with Dynamo.  

31gp, 2.40gaa, .919 in 2019-20 with the Royals.   Royals weren't great either.  Pretty good numbers.

Samuel Ersson - 6'2", 178lbs, 21yrs. 

35gp, 2.90gaa, .895 in 2019-29 with Brynas (Sweden)

42gp, 2.96gaa, .911 in 2020-21 with Brynas (Sweden)

Fedotov's numbers are pretty good actually and I'd like to see him come over.   He's a huge man.  24 years old, 6'8" and 200lbs.  Could he come over and be Lyon's backup in the AHL or play in the ECHL?

32gp, 2.10gaa, .931 in 2019-20 for Traktor Chelyabinsk (KHL)

26gp, 2.21gaa, .925 in 2020-21 for Traktor Chelyabinsk (KHL)

Tomek was the next hero in line.  I know nothing about him.  

32gp, 2.34gaa  .927 in 2019-20 for HK Kukla (Slovakia)

14gp, 2.51gaa  .899 in 2020-21 for SaiPa (Liiga)

Kolosov - way too early for numbers.  6'1", 187lbs.  19 years old.  Still needs to grow into his body.

NHL:  Hart & Free Agent

AHL:  Lyon and Fedotov

ECHL: Sanstrom & ?

I'm just about ready to call Sandstorm a bust. I know Errson is highly thought of by the org. Fedetov posted some great stats. The amazing part is he was playing against men in the KHL. Tomok posted some nice stats also. It appears I was incorrect about badly needing goaltending prospect depth. Nice post. 

25 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

RISKY RISTO!!!

That's actually a very good nickname for him!

He goes for lots of big hits...if he gets it, then the opponent is just a stain on the ice.
If he misses (and he will!), there is a huge gaping hole where he should have been positionally....then its odd man rush time for the goalie and the lone defender! 
😆

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

RISKY RISTO!!!

20 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

That's actually a very good nickname for him!

He goes for lots of big hits...if he gets it, then the opponent is just a stain on the ice.
If he misses (and he will!), there is a huge gaping hole where he should have been positionally....then its odd man rush time for the goalie and the lone defender! 
😆

Hey!  I should get some type of trademark rights here!  LOL .... You stole my name for him as I believe I mentioned it first ......  

image.png.de013104dc0757b1c56e1260286dcb4a.png

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Hey!  I should get some type of trademark rights here!  LOL .... You stole my name for him as I believe I mentioned it first ......  

image.png.de013104dc0757b1c56e1260286dcb4a.png

Yes...you were indeed first. To funny to not use...lol. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

How does comcast ever make any money?

Wait, is that a serious question?  They're the 3rd largest media company in the world behind only at&t and Alphabet Company (Google) and ahead of Disney and Facebook.

How do they make any money off the Flyers?  They own the stations they play on (including NBC... That part doesn't help them starting this year).  Specially off the Flyers?  No idea.

On 8/4/2021 at 2:58 PM, CoachX said:

newsflash! pretty sure you are in a constant state of "giddy"....except when you are smarmy and irritable

don't worry Rux...if you rearrange smarmy and irritable you get smart and myirri and able 😉

😄

22 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Plastics!

Hockey operations is a vanity project 

Also, I'm reminded of a fun quote that says the way to make a small fortune owning a sports team is to start with a large one. 

sorry man, it looks like you walked into this one. 😀

If you ever visit Canada, you will have to become more susceptible to sarcasm, its our 3rd national language.!

So I will rephrase. If comcast is so wonderful, how come they are completely illiterate regarding hockey?  Why are they totally clueless about what it takes to be even the slightest bit competitive? I will make a wager that they are not blindly loyal to their cable employees as they are with the Flyers? 

Being a monopoly does not make anyone admirable. It only earns you scorn. You cannot take it with you when you are dead and gone. You are just dead and gone.

• Good Post 2

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Wait, is that a serious question?  They're the 3rd largest media company in the world behind only at&t and Alphabet Company (Google) and ahead of Disney and Facebook.

How do they make any money off the Flyers?  They own the stations they play on (including NBC... That part doesn't help them starting this year).  Specially off the Flyers?  No idea.

S A R C A S M.

My brother-in-law got fired by Comcast for going to the gym while on the clock! Was supposed to be installing cable but he was "working on his quads" instead....they had his van GPS'd and were tracking him.

Yeah, Comcast don't have time for no hockey team.....

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

My brother-in-law got fired by Comcast for going to the gym while on the clock! Was supposed to be installing cable but he was "working on his quads" instead....

Well you can’t skip leg day….🦵

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

If you ever visit Canada, you will have to become more susceptible to sarcasm, its our 3rd national language.!

So I will rephrase. If comcast is so wonderful, how come they are completely illiterate regarding hockey?

I have been to Canada several times. I have been threatening to drag my family to Montreal, I've never been and everyone says it's great. So that's the next international trip if COVID ever subsides. 

Seems like we're all saying there isn't a whole lot of wonderful with any aspect of Comcast.

Back to hockey.

I can't help but think this team should play a style that will suit your taste better this year.

All the new cats, (I don't know about Martin Jones) are pretty high character guys that play an honest game. 

Dumb guys, inconsistent effort and petulant asswipes have been shipped out.  

Chuck has done a good job changing the team within the parameters this off-season allowed.