Ovechkin re-signed for 5 freaking years!!!!!!! Unreal

What are they thinking in Washington?  That Ovy is the NHL's version of Brady?  Timeless?  He is 35!!!  He has already shown he is slowing down.  Is this simply a "thank you" contract?  I do not get this.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
Name correction. Was driving me fruity. =)
  • Uggh... 1

53 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

What are they thinking in Washington?  That Ovy is the NHL's version of Brady?  Timeless?  He is 35!!!  He has already shown he is slowing down.  Is this simply a "thank you" contract?  I do not get this.

Under new MOU of the CBA if he "retires" then the contract ends with no penalty if it is not front loaded.

This is his "lifetime Capital" contract as he chases Gretzky's goal mark.

• Like 3

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to Ovechkin re-signed for 5 freaking years!!!!!!! Unreal
35 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

On the other hand, how much money does the team make selling stuff with his name on it? The contact could be worth it on that metric alone

At least $49K, but rounding up let's call it half a million.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If Ovie manages to survive 5 more years, scoring some goals along the way, will he manage to finish with a career “plus”?  (vs “minus”)

In 1197 career games, Ovenchicken is a mere +75.  And except for a few lean years, the Caps have generally been a strong regular season squad during his reign.  

Extrapolated to an even 2000 games played, for a fair comparison…here are the +/- career numbers for some of the star forwards over the last 25 years.  (Yes yes some had lousier average teams than others.  These legends all played at least 1039 games (Crosby) but no more than 1733 games (Jagr).)

Marian Hossa: +374

Jaromir Jagr: +372

Sidney Crosby: +352

Steve Yzerman: +243

Teemu Selanne: +131

Ovenchicken: +125

(Another way would have been to do the average plus per game, giving some decimal fraction.  They’re both just ways to get a fair comparison.)

Those top three are close to triple Ovie’s work.

Side note: Being such Cap Killers for sooo long (2003 *and* 2011 playoffs), I was surprised to see long time Lightning Legends Vinnie Lecavalier at -140 over 1212 games, and Martin St Louis at a puny +37 over 1033 games.

Well I suppose with my philosophy about the vast difference between NHL playoffs and regular season, I should instead figure out the comparisons for postseason only.

Still…

9 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Capital fans are blissfully unaware that Washington ever had a team before Ovechkin.....

?!? what r u smoking mate?  Caps fans from 1982 thru 2003 suffered PTSD from repeated playoff failures from so many promising squads and players.  (Which extended into the Ovie Playoff Era (OPE) from 2008 thru 2017.  The brains of Caps fans are permanently singed until death.

GARTNER, Carpenter, LANGWAY, Hunter, Ciccarelli, Stevens, Iafrate, Oates, Jagr, BONDRA, Johansson.  And the goalies Riggin, Jensen, Mason, Peeters, Beaupre, Carey, Kolzig.  Need another list for those playing during OPE until the Miracle.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

12 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

If Ovie manages to survive 5 more years, scoring some goals along the way, will he manage to finish with a career “plus”?  (vs “minus”)

In 1197 career games, Ovenchicken is a mere +75.  And except for a few lean years, the Caps have generally been a strong regular season squad during his reign.  

Extrapolated to an even 2000 games played, for a fair comparison…here are the +/- career numbers for some of the star forwards over the last 25 years.  (Yes yes some had lousier average teams than others.  These legends all played at least 1039 games (Crosby) but no more than 1733 games (Jagr).)

Marian Hossa: +374

Jaromir Jagr: +372

Sidney Crosby: +352

Steve Yzerman: +243

Teemu Selanne: +131

Ovenchicken: +125

(Another way would have been to do the average plus per game, giving some decimal fraction.  They’re both just ways to get a fair comparison.)

Those top three are close to triple Ovie’s work.

Side note: Being such Cap Killers for sooo long (2003 *and* 2011 playoffs), I was surprised to see long time Lightning Legends Vinnie Lecavalier at -140 over 1212 games, and Martin St Louis at a puny +37 over 1033 games.

Well I suppose with my philosophy about the vast difference between NHL playoffs and regular season, I should instead figure out the comparisons for postseason only.

Still…

Don't worry. At 40, you could always trade him to Philly.:ph34r: We have a history of obtaining players well past their prime.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Don't worry. At 40, you could always trade him to Philly.:ph34r: We have a history of obtaining players well past their prime.

Aw, nice of you to not point out that one of them was Oates

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

39 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

Caps fans from 1982 thru 2003 suffered PTSD from repeated playoff failures from so many promising squads and players.  (Which extended into the Ovie Playoff Era (OPE) from 2008 thru 2017.  The brains of Caps fans are permanently singed until death.

Might I introduce you to Flyers fans from 1975-present?

:hocky:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Aw, nice of you to not point out that one of them was Oates

:hocky:

Wait until Dave Scott demands they bring in Taylor Hall at 40, so they can say they've had Hall and Oates on the team. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Just now, FD19372 said:

Wait until Dave Scott demands they bring in Taylor Hall at 40, so they can say they've had Hall and Oates on the team. :ph34r:

Oh, I don't think it will be Scott.

You should maybe look at one of the Senior Hockey Advisors. Perhaps the one who is about to join the Flyers Hall of Fame for reasons which remain strange and mysterious to anyone not on the current Flyer payroll...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

One of these days I’ll collate together the list of Caps playoff chokes when up 2-0 or 3-1 in games.  It is likely waaay more than any team, across all major sports.  At least 5 times, maybe 6, always as the favorite playing G7 at home.

It’s a different kind of PTSD than decades of missing playoffs a la Buffalo or T’ronto.

Btw I distinctly recall the blather from TV announcers and others during Ovie’s first playoffs in ‘08 against your Flyers.  Here was the much rarer case where the Caps threatened to win down 3-1.  Ovie has a magnificent game 6 in Philly, only for the Caps to play so-so back home for G7.  Philly wins in first OT, yet another G7 home OT loss for the Cursed Bunch.  Anyway, the blather was like, “well, not bad for his 1st playoff run” and I’m like “no asswipe!  Other teams win 1st rounders with young talent, why do we stay cursed in the clutch?”.   And of course scads more playoff debacles for Ovie’s Crew in years following.  It is still hard to believe The Miracle occurred long after.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

It’s a different kind of PTSD than decades of missing playoffs a la Buffalo or T’ronto.

Every fanbase has their sources of trauma.

Not demeaning yours, just wallowing in the shared hockey experience.

At least you have the Miracle.

I don't even have a recent Cup to salve the wound, I have to envy yours.

Ferris Buellers Day Off Film GIF

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, radoran said:

Oh, I don't think it will be Scott.

You should maybe look at one of the Senior Hockey Advisors. Perhaps the one who is about to join the Flyers Hall of Fame for reasons which remain strange and mysterious to anyone not on the current Flyer payroll...

Oh, no doubt about it, I'm looking at Homer, Abacus Man. I'm also considering that maybe Dave Scott thinks he knows a lot about hockey and is willing to sign THEIR guys... even at age 40.

21 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

One of these days I’ll collate together the list of Caps playoff chokes when up 2-0 or 3-1 in games.  It is likely waaay more than any team, across all major sports.  At least 5 times, maybe 6, always as the favorite playing G7 at home.

Btw I distinctly recall the blather from TV announcers and others during Ovie’s first playoffs in ‘08 against your Flyers.  Here was the much rarer case where the Caps threatened to win down 3-1.  Ovie has a magnificent game 6 in Philly, only for the Caps to play so-so back home for G7.  Philly wins in first OT, yet another G7 home OT loss for the Cursed Bunch.  Anyway, the blather was like, “well, not bad for his 1st playoff run” and I’m like “no asswipe!  Other teams win 1st rounders with young talent, why do we stay cursed in the clutch?”.   And of course scads more playoff debacles for Ovie’s Crew in years following.  It is still hard to believe The Miracle occurred long after.

I think that Miracle happened by the help of Capitals Head Coach Barry Trotz, who is now a Head Coach for the New York Islanders team.  That team is also doing pretty well so far.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Oh, no doubt about it, I'm looking at Homer, Abacus Man. I'm also considering that maybe Dave Scott thinks he knows a lot about hockey and is willing to sign THEIR guys... even at age 40.

Oh, c'mon, next you'll tell me they put a guy into the Flyer Hall of Fame who they unceremoniously traded away and won a Cup with another team.

PSHAW!

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...