So who won the frenzy?

IMHO the biggest winners/losers of the frenzy

WINNER Clear cut hands down the biggest winner is the ARIZONA COYOTES. They decided to blow up the Chayka fiasco and start over, already they have 2 first and FIVE SECOND rounders for next year with assets such as Kessel and Dvorak likely to add to it. The rebuild is much needed, Chayka may be the worst GM since Mike Milbury and it is very realistic to expect this team to have an insane ten picks in the first two rounds of next years draft.

LOSER CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Look, I like Seth Jones as much as the next guy but c'mon, they gave up a lot in talent (Boqvist) and picks and then signed him to a contract that he wont be anywhere near his peak by the end. They did manage to drop Keith off in Edmonton without retaining salary so there is that but they added MAF to man the net, he wants to be there so bad he took a week to decide if he wants to retire or report before reluctantly agreeing to return. They replaced Keith by overpaying Jake Mccabe for too long (4x4) for some reason they allowed Pius Suter to leave. They traded the rugged Zadorov to Calgary. Tyler Johnson was added from Tampa. They seem to think they are in a win now mode but frankly I just dont see the moves they made working out.

LOSER CAROLINA HURRICANES They lost Dougie Hamilton to the Devils and replaced him with....well I am not sure how many defensema n they think they can play but they added boring retreads Haakanpaa, Brendan Smith, Ian Cole, Tony DeAngelo who was introduced by their GM as a great teammate and locker room favorite, added Ethan Bear coming off a wretched season. All together they make less per year than Hamilton and he will outscore them together this year barring injury.  In net, the reestablished Mrazek and Reimer combo has been replaced by reclamation projects Freddy Andersen and Raanta. They gave up very versatile Foegele and McGinn with no replacement. The magic may be over.

WINNER BOSTON BRUINS They lost longtime Bear Krejci who decided to take a copy of the home game, they managed to add Foligno and his leadership, the underappreciated Haula, resigned Taylor Hall for a nice team friendly deal, brought in the massively underrated Ullmark in net,  Nosek who plays up and down the wings and center was brought in as well. The bears reloaded. I think Forbort at term/length was a bit much and the only miss.

LOSER EDMONTON OILERS Not for a single signing, I am fine with all of them including Ceci, the reason I call them a loser is resigning Mike Smith who is aging and Koskinen who is reviled in Alberta. All those moves and still the same goalie duo also known as the arson squad.

LOSER BUFFALO SABRES I like the Risto move, I get the Reinhart move, the reason they are losers is Eichel is still a sabre. On a quiet night in Buffalo if you are sitting outside you can actually hear Eichel's value continue to depreciate. Oh and they lost Ullmark and replaced him with Craig Anderson. Heh.

• Like 2

I'll happily put the FLYERS down as WINNERS for accepting the need and making the major changes that were required. There are some obvious concerns in how they made some of the moves, but the roster was in desperate need of a revamp and they got it.

16 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

LOSER CAROLINA HURRICANES

I honestly don't at all get how they went into the offseason with those three goalies and came out with Andersen and Raannttaa.

Nedjelkovic put up 1.90/.932 in 23 games and 2.17/.920 in the playoffs and they got a 3rd rounder for him and let Bernier walk?

Madness. Absolute madness.

9 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

resigning Mike Smith who is aging and Koskinen who is reviled in Alberta

Koskinen's in the last year of his 3-year deal

21 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

LOSER BUFFALO SABRES

actual photo of the Sabres

tank GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1