Can/Will Ovie pass Gretzky in All Time Goals?

Alexandron

I was a couple days ago for the 1st time in 25 years at our local well known restaurant "Moscow on the Hill" to celebrate my 60 y.o. birthday. All food was delicious. When I talked to the waitress, he mentioned to me that Ovechkin is always taking a dinner around 1 p.m. at this restaurant before the game when he comes here to play against the Wild team. That waitress served him already 3-4 times except last season, but Ovie is eating there for more than a decade and orders exclusively the same food - Siberian dumplings and Beef Stroganoff with rice. He also showed me pictures taking together with Ovechkin.  Interesting, that our employee at the hospital has a cousin who works as a chef (the chief cook) at this restaurant and he also took pictures with Ovechkin and other Capitals players. Another interesting fact, when Ovechkin played after dinner against the Wild team in Minnesota he usually had hat tricks or multipoint games. Was a tasty food factor affecting on his hat tricks production in Minnesota too?😀

3 hours ago, Alexandron said:

After reading this thread again I have a question. How many games we are going to have per season after adding a new team Kraken? Probably, more than 82. If more, then Ovechkin will receive more chances to reach his goal. I am sure he wants to overpass Gretzky's record, which no one will pass him after.

The Kraken don't appear to really affect things that way - they basically even out the divisions with eight teams in each.

For the 2021–22 season the NHL regular season formula was adjusted to account for the addition of the Seattle Kraken. Each team plays either three or four games against the other teams in its division (a total of 26 games) as well as playing all non-divisional teams in their own conference thrice (24 games). The remaining games of the season are inter-conference play (32 games), allowing every team in the league to play every other team twice. The schedule is structured so that every NHL team plays in every arena at least once per season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, radoran said:

The Kraken don't appear to really affect things that way - they basically even out the divisions with eight teams in each.

I'm just happy to see the NHL back to a full schedule AND teams playing everyone.
Those same seven teams everyone played all year last season simply got stale about halfway through.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I'm just happy to see the NHL back to a full schedule AND teams playing everyone.
Those same seven teams everyone played all year last season simply got stale about halfway through.

It should also make FHL like NAHANA more interesting ......  I just hope there are fewer games cancelled / rescheduled due to COVID issues.  That was a royal mess last year ......

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
On 8/6/2021 at 12:29 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

He has slowed down.  My money says he will be lucky to get 30 in 82

you are right he didn't get 30 in 82 .....

Currently he has 36 in 56. :)

And if we use the million dollar word "pro-rate" or "projection" (which in all honesty is the better term)......  Ovie is currently "on pace" for 52 goals.  That would theoretically give him 16 more goals for the season for a "theoretical" career total of 782.  That would leave him only 19 behind G. Howe (801) and 112 behind the Great One (112). 

At his current pace he would pass Gordie sometime next year and possibly Gretzky in 2 years from now....   gonna be fun watching him do it.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 6:51 AM, pilldoc said:

you are right he didn't get 30 in 82 .....

Currently he has 36 in 56. :)

And if we use the million dollar word "pro-rate" or "projection" (which in all honesty is the better term)......  Ovie is currently "on pace" for 52 goals.  That would theoretically give him 16 more goals for the season for a "theoretical" career total of 782.  That would leave him only 19 behind G. Howe (801) and 112 behind the Great One (112). 

At his current pace he would pass Gordie sometime next year and possibly Gretzky in 2 years from now....   gonna be fun watching him do it.

And how many more games is it going to take him to do it?  He is not Gretky or Lemieux or the best to ever play by any stretch.   He is not even top 10

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

And how many more games is it going to take him to do it?  He is not Gretky or Lemieux or the best to ever play by any stretch.   He is not even top 10

Just stop ..your embarrassing yourself...Ovie will go down in top 10 .....

Edited by pilldoc

4 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Disagree....

Ovey is doing it in an era where goals are much harder to come by, Gretz (and i am not taking anything away from the great one) did it when goals were at a premium.

• Like 1

Is Alex Ovechkin better than Wayne Gretzky I would say no. Is he even better than Mario Lemieux I am not even sure about that or even the great Gordie Howe or Bobby Orr. One thing I can definitely say he will go down as a 10 all time best player in the NHL for sure whether he breaks Gretzky's record or not.  I hardly if at all remember Gretzky's career and of course do not remember Howe or Orr's. Lemieux I do remember some of his career. 

• 1 month later...

WAYNE GRETZKY

100th Goal in Season 2 – BEATS ALEX OVECHKIN BY 1 SEASON

200th Goal in Season 4

300th Goal in Season 5 – BEATS ALEX OVECHKIN BY 1 SEASON

400th Goal in Season 6 – BEATS ALEX OVECHKIN BY 3 SEASONS

500th Goal in Season 8 – BEATS ALEX OVECHKIN BY 3 SEASONS

600th Goal in Season 10 – BEATS ALEX OVECHKIN BY 3 SEASONS

700th Goal in Season 12 – BEATS ALEX OVECHKIN BY 3 SEASONS

800th Goal in Season 15 – BEATS ALEX OVECHKIN BY 3 SEASONS

850th Goal in Season 18

885th Goal in Season 19

894th Goal in Season 20

ALEX OVECHKIN

100th Goal in Season 3

200th Goal in Season 4

300th Goal in Season 6

400th Goal in Season 9

500th Goal in Season 11

600th Goal in Season 13

700th Goal in Season 15

800th Goal in Season 18

900th Goal in Season 20

Gordie Howe and Chris Chelios played 26 seasons in the NHL. Alex Ovechkin should do the same. Go for 27. We need someone with 1000 regular season goals in the NHL history books. Ovechkin can do it!

ALEX OVECHKIN

100th Goal in Season 3
200th Goal in Season 4
300th Goal in Season 6
400th Goal in Season 9
500th Goal in Season 11
600th Goal in Season 13
700th Goal in Season 15
800th Goal in Season 18
900th Goal in Season 20
1000th Goal in Season 22

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NHL HHOF said:

WAYNE GRETZKY

100th Goal in Season 2 – BEATS ALEX OVECHKIN BY 1 SEASON

200th Goal in Season 4

300th Goal in Season 5 – BEATS ALEX OVECHKIN BY 1 SEASON

400th Goal in Season 6 – BEATS ALEX OVECHKIN BY 3 SEASONS

500th Goal in Season 8 – BEATS ALEX OVECHKIN BY 3 SEASONS

600th Goal in Season 10 – BEATS ALEX OVECHKIN BY 3 SEASONS

700th Goal in Season 12 – BEATS ALEX OVECHKIN BY 3 SEASONS

800th Goal in Season 15 – BEATS ALEX OVECHKIN BY 3 SEASONS

850th Goal in Season 18

885th Goal in Season 19

894th Goal in Season 20

ALEX OVECHKIN

100th Goal in Season 3

200th Goal in Season 4

300th Goal in Season 6

400th Goal in Season 9

500th Goal in Season 11

600th Goal in Season 13

700th Goal in Season 15

800th Goal in Season 18

900th Goal in Season 20

Great comparison, unfortunately Ovie had one season shortened by a lockout, and 2 seasons shortened by COVID.  Had Ovie had those games, he would be closer to Gretzky.  Its gonna be fun .....

Alex Ovechkin currently sits at 780 goals in 1, 273 games played.  He has played 17 seasons. He is currently 36 years old  and looks like there are still a few more years of 50+ goals ahead. That being said he will definitely break the record in 2 years unless he has an injury and 4 years way he will hit 1000 goals. 

11 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Great comparison, unfortunately Ovie had one season shortened by a lockout, and 2 seasons shortened by COVID.  Had Ovie had those games, he would be closer to Gretzky. 

Wayne did also have the '94-95 lockout.  And I believe an injury that shortened his season in '92-93.

12 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Its gonna be fun .....

Agreed!!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some posters on here won't be happy ....just went back to reread some of the posts .....

some were predicting he would be lucky to get 30 goals in 82 games for the 21-22 season....well ........

they are partially right ....he got 50 Goals in 77 games last season....

2021-22 Washington Capitals NHL 77 50 40 90 18 8 6 1 5 6 0

as I mentioned before...until proven otherwise, Ovie has a very legit chance of passing Gretzky.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Some posters on here won't be happy ....just went back to reread some of the posts .....

some were predicting he would be lucky to get 30 goals in 82 games for the 21-22 season....well ........

they are partially right ....he got 50 Goals in 77 games last season....

2021-22 Washington Capitals NHL 77 50 40 90 18 8 6 1 5 6 0

as I mentioned before...until proven otherwise, Ovie has a very legit chance of passing Gretzky.

Under normal circumstances, I can see the big doubt the player can catch Gretzky given his age.
But Ovechkin isn't normal. Guy is a freakin Freak of freakin nature. Just a real specimen.

Put that together with the fact he is insured along with his pal "Backy", and his wife ALWAYS feeds him good breakfast, even if she STILL doesn't understand why Backstrom's gotta be there every morning too, and you have a beast ready to take on Gretzky's record at any time! :bigteeth: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

3 goals in 7 games so far....

A tad slow for him, but, a long way to go.

heck even at that rate it comes out to ~35 goals for the season...... and around 815 for his career. (only 79 behind Gretzky).  As I mentioned before...it will be fun to watch.

• Like 1